Closed Thread

Old 2004-05-12, 03:12   Link #301
qlalz

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Tight
pfffff no big deal, I already know a group which will continue to sub it

Can u pls tell ne the group..
been trying to look for one..
sigh..realli sad to collect till 30 cant find the 31 onwards..
its such a gd show....
Old 2004-05-12, 03:16   Link #302
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

No. Nobody who doesn't like being banned will post the name of a group that is going to continue to sub this show. That is against our rules and I intend to enforce it relentlessly. If you really want to know I am sure that you will eventually figure it out, it isn't really that hard if you know your way around, but we just aren't going to make it easy for you.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2004-05-12, 04:00   Link #303
ZeppelinJ0
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
No. Nobody who doesn't like being banned will post the name of a group that is going to continue to sub this show. That is against our rules and I intend to enforce it relentlessly. If you really want to know I am sure that you will eventually figure it out, it isn't really that hard if you know your way around, but we just aren't going to make it easy for you.
My life is over... There I said it, life! Thanks Funimation :\
Old 2004-05-12, 04:51   Link #304
Hao Asakura
Newbie arimasen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeppelinJ0
My life is over... There I said it, life! Thanks Funimation :\
I feel for you too, buddy
Old 2004-05-12, 04:58   Link #305
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Send a message via MSN to SirCanealot
OMG, what is wrong with you people? I swear, do you all rely on AS for your anime? There's dozens of places to get anime that isn't on AS. You people should be lucky you've got the anime availible on AS that you do. Check out some of the other great series on AS, insted of whining about FMA - if you can't find out which groups are subbing it.

Quote:
Truthfully, anime companies don't need fansubs to raise public awarness anymore. They haven't needed it for many years now, more so, fansubs are actually getting to the point where they're having negative effects on the industry.
I'd disagree. I looked at the issue some months back, and while they are not required, they do help in many cases. In the case of FMA, it already has a large ammount of fans, which will probebly eventurly calm down and watch the dub on CN, or buy the DVDs; and even the fans that won't do any of this, wouldn't have anyway, so it's still no money lost - and they will still increase the popularity and possible profits of the show somewhat by word of mouth. Most profits come from "the dub fan" anyway, who cares or knows nothing for fansubs. And I can say fansubs have definately led to Hajime no Ippo getting licenced, and fansubs will lead to the first Naruto R1 DVD leaving burn marks as it flies off the shelves.

If you want to read more into my opinions on this matter, here's Draft"0" of the essay I wrote:
http://www.williams1.homechoice.co.uk/AnimeFansubMorals(draft0).doc

I got board of writing it, and was having difficulty remembering and organising everything I wanted to comment on, so I stoped writing it. It's mostly pro-fansubs, unfortunately I didn't write much anti-fansub stuff before I stoped writing...
Old 2004-05-12, 06:28   Link #306
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyjellyfish
Wow! This is really cool news! Not only is it going to be put on American TV, but Square is also going to make a game out of it. Very cool, even though I'm honestly disappointed that it was licensed while I was watching it.
well, Square is not "going to" make a game out of it. they have already made the game, and now just doing the localization for US. Anyway the game is mediocre... oh and it's not Square, it's Square Enix

Last edited by dreamless; 2004-05-12 at 06:47.
Old 2004-05-12, 06:38   Link #307
ZeppelinJ0
Disabled By Request

I've seen previews for the PS2 and GBA versions... I don't know, just from screenshots it doesn't look so great (PS2) but it looks like it might do well on GBA

This is just screenies though, I can't read japanese, so I don't know any of the features
Old 2004-05-12, 07:13   Link #308
otakreg
oXc

Send a message via AIM to otakreg
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCanealot
And I can say fansubs have definately led to Hajime no Ippo getting licenced, and fansubs will lead to the first Naruto R1 DVD leaving burn marks as it flies off the shelves.
Dude! Don't say that! I didn't hear that! Shut your filthy mouth!

That would be like the apocalypse for thousands of people. It would continue being subbed I guess but still... Naruto is totally Japanese but if it gets licensed, It'll probably be edited to hell and shown on Toonami. (Naruto is so reminiscent of DBZ I can't see any other scenario...)

Funi might make FMA decent because at least it's easy to Americanize with all the Western names and writing, but translating all those jutsu names would be terrible.
Old 2004-05-12, 07:17   Link #309
ElvenPath
a step away from heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by otakreg
That would be like the apocalypse for thousands of people.
Why? You forget that:
  • Anime is from JAPAN.
  • We are NOT Japanese.
  • Anime is NOT a right, it is a privilege.
Old 2004-05-12, 07:19   Link #310
a_nevels666

Quote:

That would be like the apocalypse for thousands of people. It would continue being subbed I guess but still... Naruto is totally Japanese but if it gets licensed, It'll probably be edited to hell and shown on Toonami. (Naruto is so reminiscent of DBZ I can't see any other scenario...)

Funi might make FMA decent because at least it's easy to Americanize with all the Western names and writing, but translating all those jutsu names would be terrible.
It's not like FMA would still be good if you edited out all the mature content...(which they will)
Old 2004-05-12, 09:21   Link #311
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Send a message via MSN to SirCanealot
Quote:

WTF is wrong with you? Decent? Funi WILL make FMA decent, as decent as they've done on their other recent anime (Fruits Basket, Kiddy Grade etc). People have told you time and time again: the Dub/TV deal has nothing to do with "us" - we're going to be watching and enjoying the subtitle track with the original Japanese audio and video. If you don't like the TV Dub - which may be edited - don't watch it. The same applies for both FMA and Naruto when it's eventurly licenced and if it does make its way to TV (which is very likely).

And unless 4Kids gets Naruto (which I wouldn't say would never happen - allthough it'd need HEAVY editing in parts, so I doubt it), Naruto will also get a fine release with a sub track. The worst case imo would be Viz getting the anime and giving Kage Bunshin the old "Art of the Doppleganger" treatment. The worst I can see we'll really get is "Shadow Clone Technique" etc, and wtf is wrong with that? You're paranoid. "OMG TEH R1 COMPANIE COULD NEVER DO AS GOOD A JOB AS TEH L357 FANSUBBERXZ" - well get it clear. They WILL.

Or close enough anyway...

Edit. Europeon fans may want to check in here: http://forums.animeondvd.com/showfla...b=5&o=&fpart=1

allthough I'd STILL recomend everyone buy the cheaper, better R1 release

Last edited by SirCanealot; 2004-05-12 at 09:41.
Old 2004-05-12, 09:45   Link #312
SketchyMcChips

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_nevels666
It's not like FMA would still be good if you edited out all the mature content...(which they will)
we can only hope and pray that they don't, although i think it would appeal to some people - there was at least one thread regarding how shocked someone was at the maturity of the content.

On to the real issue...

I'm not about to question AS's policy regarding 'licenced' anime because i know they won't back down on it and it's their perogative

However, english is such a commonly spoken language that it transcends DVD regions and fansubbing ethics don't seem to account for this.

Strictly speaking a fansub group that doesn't operate in a region for which a licence exists is still conforming to fansub ethics(as far as i understand them) regarding licenced anime.

So theoretically fansub groups in english speaking, non R1 countries i.e UK, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand are still within the bounds of these ethics (and also the AS policy as listed here)

So - don't feel bad about downloading R1 'licenced' anime from other sites - as long as you and they are not from an R1 country in which case, shame on you and shame on them too!!
Old 2004-05-12, 09:49   Link #313
BanditKing

Quote:

Funny I heard thousands of people want it licensed instead.
Old 2004-05-12, 11:46   Link #314
DekaMaster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa

Yeah but insulting people is also against your rules. You yourself banned me for breaking said rule. But you are allowing certain people in this thread to break the same rules you banned me for. Do you pick and chose who you allow to break rules?
Old 2004-05-12, 11:57   Link #315
Chiichiko

Nooooo!! I'm gonna feel so..bleh..It's gonna be put in tv! That is the WORST idea ever, it's gonna be REALLY popular, just like Pokemon, and then later it's gonna go dead, like pokemon. Okay, the newbie anime watchers are so ghey. They're gonna like it, and then hate it. That is SUCH a bad idea.
Old 2004-05-12, 13:03   Link #316
Za Paper

Whats so bad about anime being popular? I used to think bit torrent was bad for anime because all these newbies, like the new narutards, can get anime easily but I've changed my mind. Anime should be enjoyed by all, and there no point in keeping anime within a clique of elitists who dont want it to spread.
Old 2004-05-12, 13:05   Link #317
Katsuyuki
Haru Glory Fan

Send a message via AIM to Katsuyuki Send a message via MSN to Katsuyuki
Wink

The way i see it im fine with it coming to NA as long as they don't pull a pokemon or a DBZ and they have decent subing on the DVDs im perfectly fine with it. the way i see it now i can make some room on my computer and get to see the show in great picture when the DVDs come out. Sure i have to shell out some cash but that what we have jobs for right . As for those little kids/older kids that that watch the CN "anime" and start acting like they are god of the feild all you have to do is shoot them down by asking about all those anime's they have never seen or show them your basement full of anime stuff

Still i wish i could have downloaded number 31 before it went down >.>
Old 2004-05-12, 13:55   Link #318
Griffith

I don't see why people can't figure out that more exposure to anime is good for the industry. Who gives a shit if little kids become FMA fanboys? I, for one do not. People need to cut the crap with the elitist attitudes already, anime is an art form and it's for everyone.
Old 2004-05-12, 14:32   Link #319
Gold_Rogers
Famous Dead Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvenPath
Why? You forget that:
  • Anime is from JAPAN.
  • We are NOT Japanese.
  • Anime is NOT a right, it is a privilege.
I'd say you're wrong on the last count. Anime is neither a right nor a privilege. It is first and foremost a PRODUCT that companies try to market to CONSUMERS. Have you ever heard the phrase "The customer is king"? Companies want consumers' business, and it would be in their best interest to treat customers to the best quality service/products they can without raising costs too much, which will bring in more business.

Let's not kid ourselves that anime is some gift from heaven or some kind of privilege bestowed upon us by generous studios and production companies in Japan or distributors in the USA. The goal of any company is to make a buck.
Old 2004-05-12, 14:35   Link #320
Suikun

Quote:
I don't see why people can't figure out that more exposure to anime is good for the industry. Who gives a shit if little kids become FMA fanboys? I, for one do not. People need to cut the crap with the elitist attitudes already, anime is an art form and it's for everyone.
I don't think there's anything wrong with feeling a bit uneasy or uncomfortable with the fact that a certain anime will end up getting a ton of exposure and thus end up being more popular. I feel the same way - that's my one and only concern about this whole Cartoon Network deal.

Afterall, one of the reasons anime was so attractive to me when I was first really getting into it all (after seeing Pokemon and the like) was that it wasn't mainstream stuff - it was new, different, and obscure. Sure, most people knew what Pokemon was, but many didn't know it came from Japan, and those who did certainly didn't have a clue about any of the other stuff I was getting into, like Neon Genesis Evangelion or the like. Part of the greatness of being into anime was just knowing that I was into something that nobody else knew about aside from the people I knew online. I found (and still find) fun in going against the crowd and watching anime instead of the latest episode of Friends, or listening to some Jpop instead of whatever US pop music everyone else in the country was listening to. That was just a part of the fun that being into anime had with it.

But, as shows like Fullmetal Alchemist - shows that even a few years ago would have never shown up on US TV at all - as these shows are placed into places where they'll get more and more exposure and thus more and more popular, anime fans such as myself end up losing this thing that we used to have all to our selves. Suddenly, all the "Friends" and "Britney Spears" obsessed people are watching - or at least have heard of - some of the many things we love and... it just kinda' takes that obscure, "going against the crowd" appeal that anime had away from us.

So why is that so bad? It's not that I want to keep other people from enjoying Fullmetal Alchemist like I did - not at all. In fact, another great thing about the past obscurity of anime was picking cool shows and then showing them to your friends and family and getting them into it - being the one to introduce people to this thing I loved is also a large part of the fun. But, once these things instantly become popular, mainstream things, all that is suddenly taken away from me.

In the end, I really don't want to keep others from enjoying FMA or any other anime, and I want to see the anime industry grow - but at the same time, it is disheartening to see some of the things that were once our own for us to share with others being taken away. Does that really make all of us who are a tad uneasy about FMA becoming popular in the US nothing more than uptight elitists? I don't think so.
Closed Thread