Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-02-25, 07:49   Link #21
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
They are not on "one" pc, they are on separate pc, so logging off is not an option.
As I understand what he said he needs to hide his own system tray in his own PC so his brother can't deactivate the program limiting the bandwith, which is activated within his own PC, so logging off IS an option.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-25, 08:29   Link #22
Arimfe
SharpenerOfTheBoxcutter

Location: where Grudge is Greatest, Rancour Endless and Malice Eternal(at school^^;;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
As I understand what he said he needs to hide his own system tray in his own PC so his brother can't deactivate the program limiting the bandwith, which is activated within his own PC, so logging off IS an option.
No, sorry for not clarifying enough.
Comp A = mine
Comp B = my brothers
There's a little program on comp B's system tray I want to make inaccessible while the program can still be active.

Either that, or something like a router, or another program on comp A that can control bandwidth of comp B.

Nicholi & ryomakun, thanks for the tips about those two programs. For now I'm still leaning slightly towards a router solution though.
Arimfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-25, 08:41   Link #23
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Oh... sorry, I thought you wanted both. Now I understand better.

PS: How old is your brother?

Old 2007-02-25, 08:48   Link #24
Arimfe
SharpenerOfTheBoxcutter

Location: where Grudge is Greatest, Rancour Endless and Malice Eternal(at school^^;;)
classified information
Old 2007-02-25, 17:51   Link #25
ryomakun

Arimefe, NetLimiter two has a function where you can run it as a windows service, and not a windows startup, so it means it runs in the background, now the problem is, if your brother see the program in his "START" menu, he may tinker with it and remove the caps in bandwidth. So the thing i recommend is you make yourself admin on his computer and remove his admin rights. This will disable him being able to access netlimiter. =)
ryomakun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-25, 18:06   Link #26
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Oh I am not sure his brother will be very pleased then *g* Imagine he wants to install something (that requires often admin previliges) and always needs to call his brother to change to the admin account. If I was his brother, I'ld rather reinstall Windows, instead of bothering with not being admin.
Old 2007-02-25, 21:31   Link #27
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

AND he could always find the process with Ctrl+Alt+Del and finish it off... but that's depending on how much knowledge does he have.

Quote:
now the problem is, if your brother see the program in his "START" menu, he may tinker with it and remove the caps in bandwidth.
The shortcut in the Start menu can be deleted xP

Old 2007-02-25, 21:38   Link #28
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
AND he could always find the process with Ctrl+Alt+Del and finish it off... but that's depending on how much knowledge does he have.

The shortcut in the Start menu can be deleted xP
not every service is listed as process ;D (well listed yes... but not like it is of any use for you... they are sometimes listed as a group of svchost processes (and the like)... means you kill an svchost process and thereby kill many subservices... not so nice). If you want to see, which services run in a svchost group type "Tasklist /SVC" in your console . Besides without admin previliges you are not allowed to kill certain (any?) service started with admin previliges.
Old 2007-02-25, 23:15   Link #29
Arimfe
SharpenerOfTheBoxcutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto Lin View Post
Oh I am not sure his brother will be very pleased then *g* Imagine he wants to install something (that requires often admin previliges) and always needs to call his brother to change to the admin account. If I was his brother, I'ld rather reinstall Windows, instead of bothering with not being admin.
Yes, there's a lot of programs which require admin rights to be installed. I'm not particularly interested in locking him down, as funny as it sounds, I want him to be able to experiment and install crap that breaks his comp so he can learn things the hard way. Which is why I think a router is still the better choice as of now.

He doesn't have any means of reinstalling windows though, and I doubt he even knows how it's being done.
Quote:
xD Even though I've shown him how to kill off processes before, he's not smart enough to even suspect tampering with stuff there.

The first program Jeromie suggested was almost viable, I think, unfortunately I think he's clever enough to be curious about the new tray icon, and all it takes to get past that solution is a rightclick
If only that program had password protectionxD
*hopes for more suggestions about freeware programs like that*
Old 2007-02-26, 06:37   Link #30
ryomakun

self, sounding like a broken record... Don't you like NetLimiter? Have you tried version 2.x?

Try Net Limiter version 2.x

Features:
Hides itself, no tray icon settings.
Starts as Service.
Permissions editor-
With this tool, you can decide, which user is allowed to monitor or control network traffic.

Remote administration
You can control and monitor other computers remotely from one place.

Price..: $29.95 only

NetLimiter 2 Pro
Version: 2.0.9, Shareware (28-day evaluation period)
Description: Internet traffic control and monitoring tool
32 bit version download:
Download
ryomakun is offline   Reply With Quote