AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-02-07, 22:03   Link #321
Dawnstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Does kinda remind of Kiki's Delivery Service, doesn't it? Hmm. I wonder if it was a conscious parallel?
I think so. I mean she's wearing a red ribbon in this pic, while she normally wears a white one (if I'm not misremembering). They didn't change the way she ties it, so it's pretty subtle, or may mean something else. [Did she ever wear a red ribbon in the show? I honestly can't remember. It's not something I pay attention to. It's just that the red one looks oddly colourful on her.]
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-08, 10:24   Link #322
Kumagawa

I love shows that don't rush reveals, this is how they should be done characters first weird stuff second.
Kumagawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-08, 16:46   Link #323
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

I liked how benio suddenly learns about those 2 not being human and all she can think about is that "aww yiss another loli"
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-08, 20:36   Link #324
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodonk View Post
I liked how benio suddenly learns about those 2 not being human and all she can think about is that "aww yess another loli and they are not human so *pant* no matter what I do they can't go *pant* *pant* to the police *pant*"
There, corrected it for you
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-09, 00:50   Link #325
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Though Benio's reaction when remembering that Hakuya was one of them was fun. Completely shatters her all young and cute fairy dreams .
Old 2014-02-09, 02:18   Link #326
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Though Benio's reaction when remembering that Hakuya was one of them was fun. Completely shatters her all young and cute fairy dreams .
IMO that Hakuya and Mashiro have different eye color foreshadows that even though they are brothers (Mashiro has the same eye color as the mother), they are not from the same monster species. So maybe Hakuya is an ookami and mashiro is a tengu (just saying because loli milf reminded me of how Benten from The Excentric Family "jumped" all over town). I am guessing that their village maybe looks a lot like the Nurarihyon yokai/yakuza mansion.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-09, 02:32   Link #327
ices
Working Hard

Haha, you just remind me of Uchoten Kazoku. Now I'm feel bad for a frog in the well.

Going by that logic, Maybe Hakuya is actually a Tanuki. He shapeshifting as human and sometimes a dog/wolf.
ices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-10, 06:26   Link #328
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

alright i stopped watching these after the first ep, cause i hate these arrange marriages plot. But i really like this show, i cant believe i missed out on so much.......and the little girl dancing to the children show....my god that was so adorable!!
Old 2014-02-10, 06:28   Link #329
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by ices View Post
Haha, you just remind me of Uchoten Kazoku. Now I'm feel bad for a frog in the well.

Going by that logic, Maybe Hakuya is actually a Tanuki. He shapeshifting as human and sometimes a dog/wolf.
Some form of shapeshifting Yokai, thats for sure.

At the very least he is not the kind of werewolf that actually turns into a wolf, as his mother said people would say 'is that what you pretend to be now/this time'

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-10, 06:39   Link #330
ices
Working Hard

she said that? well, I must check the episode again.
ices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-12, 19:13   Link #331
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Ep 6 and we finally get to hear a bit from Kobeni's mother regarding the current state of affairs. ^^

The large body of the ep focuses around Valentine's day, but we finally begin to see some noticeable changes in Kobeni towards Hakuya as the info bombs dropped by Mashiro's mom last chapter begin to slowly sprout. (Not to be outdone Benio also is quickly processing what was revealed as well. )

It kinda feels as if Kobeni is beginning to just bud for the first time in a way that is... umm... intermixed with something coming solely from her without reference points from her older sister, which I think is good. It is almost as if she had "gone back in time" in a way and is taking tiny, toddering steps towards a more acute sense of... individuality, I guess, and is beginning to get used to standing on her feet, pulling herself up by gripping on handfull by handfull of fur on Hakuya as he is in dog form. And I think Benio is sensing the change in Kobeni as well, both supporting and disliking the change at the same time... Hmm. Well, just a symbolic image that occured to me, I guess - please do not take too literally!

Also, I don't know why but I found the ongoing thing about Nessie was extremely funny for some reason.
Old 2014-02-12, 23:06   Link #332
Pesti13nce

The more ep's that get released the less I enjoy Benio... She is just downright obnoxious, first it was funny... now it's kind of grating on my nerves.
Pesti13nce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-12, 23:19   Link #333
bakaouji

If there's one thing the show does that rubs me the wrong way, its how Kobeni's already thinking about her marriage despite her young age. She's only fourteen and she believes that in the future her only logical choice is to become a housewife just because she doesn't really have any goals or aspirations unlike her mother and elder sister.
bakaouji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-12, 23:24   Link #334
ellessarr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakaouji View Post
If there's one thing the show does that rubs me the wrong way, its how Kobeni's already thinking about her marriage despite her young age. She's only fourteen and she believes that in the future her only logical choice is to become a housewife just because she doesn't really have any goals or aspirations unlike her mother and elder sister.

you missunderstood and forget the first episode(rewatch).
she is sixteen the minimum age for legal marriage in japan(with the parents support), her turning in sixteen was the reason who hakuya come to be her fiancee.

if i'm not wrong japaneses law for marriage are girls 16 guys 18 however if both family agree and give support to the couple and the couple want both guy and girl can marry with 16.
ellessarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-12, 23:29   Link #335
Snuffle
likes cute things

Episode 6:
Nothing special about this episode, but I did like how Kobeni has started to warm up to Hakuya. Benio is annoying as usual, and I want to see more of that blonde girl that idolizes Benio, she's cute.

Quote:
Isn't she 16? Well besides that... When I was in grade 7, I remember some girls talking about getting married and how it was going to be... And I bet it's still happening today, since a few years ago I talked to a 16 year old girl about her future goals and said she wants to marry a rich dude.
Old 2014-02-12, 23:49   Link #336
bakaouji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffle View Post
Isn't she 16? Well besides that... When I was in grade 7, I remember some girls talking about getting married and how it was going to be... And I bet it's still happening today, since a few years ago I talked to a 16 year old girl about her future goals and said she wants to marry a rich dude.
I'm not saying its unrealistic but its definitely not something that should be encouraged in any way. She's got her whole life in front of her; this is hardly the age to be worrying about marriage and crap like that. The show's not exactly subtle either at depicting Kobeni as the perfect waifu. Heck, Kobeni was raving about what a perfect waifu her little sister is.
Old 2014-02-12, 23:54   Link #337
Pesti13nce

Quote:
I'm not saying its unrealistic but its definitely not something that should be encouraged in any way. She's got her whole life in front of her; this is hardly the age to be worrying about marriage and crap like that. The show's not exactly subtle either at depicting Kobeni as the perfect waifu. Heck, Kobeni was raving about what a perfect waifu her little sister is.

Japanese society has a MUCH different outlook on marriage than people state side. I wouldn't fret it too much it just is what it is.
Pesti13nce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-13, 00:09   Link #338
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Pretty good episode. Not quite as great as some of the past few episodes have been, but still ok. Just some real focus on Kobeni's development and adjustment. As a more normal person she needs time to take it all in. Benio...well she's just insane anyways so no change .

Suppose I can only guess at Hakuya's reluctance to transform. Could be it's more unstable than for most because of giving up half his power. Who knows maybe that kind of thing is actually rather embarrassing. Being someone who can't transform I've got no idea .

Still waiting for that camera character to show up. And poor Mashiro. Nessie either really likes her or really hates her .
Quote:
This is a somewhat unusual situation though. With what secrets might still be hidden there may be a very good reason why they would need to get married. Once you throw non-humans into the mix anything's possible.

In the end I don't think either side is necessarily in the wrong. I mean it's a situation of marriage not sending her off to a prison camp . Might be going a bit too far into the "marriage is death" direction. Would also agree that culture is a pretty strong factor.

Not like Kobeni shouldn't look at a variety of options. Has good skills, just specialized. Chef seems pretty up her angle if she really dove into that. But on the other hand the marriage angle might make sense. If her health is going to be pretty unstable going to need something with a great degree of flexibility. Her situation just isn't normal and who knows how that power is going to affect her down the road.

In the end I don't think it matters which way things go. More interested in seeing how Kobeni develops especially in terms of confidence. Someone like Benio has a ton of talents, but literally will die without someone looking out for her...
Old 2014-02-13, 00:29   Link #339
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
I think people are quickly forgetting one important thing here -- Hakuya himself actually mentioned to Kobeni that she doesn't have to go on with the engagement. In the end, it will still be up to Kobeni to decide.
Old 2014-02-13, 01:48   Link #340
bakaouji

Its not about whether her family's forcing her to marry or not, its about how her family is influencing her. They're passively conditioning her.

When Kobeni asks this important question, her sister tells her that her childhood dream of becoming a bride is a perfectly valid goal which she can aspire to, instead of telling her that she's too young to be worried about her future. Kobeni literally thinks that since all she can do is cook and clean, there's only one option for her and that's to get married and become a housewife.

I've seen plenty of anime do that and it usually annoys me when a show I consider decent (and non-ecchi) embraces these antiquated ideas.

Tags
4-koma, comedy, seinen