AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Web Novels

Notices

Old 2015-10-18, 10:44   Link #1
Silentwolfie

The amber sword (WN)

TL link: https://wolfietranslation.wordpress....e-amber-sword/
Short summary: A enthusiastic RPG gamer gets teleported away and took on the body of a character who was fated to die in a parallel world. With the feelings of the dead person, he sets out to change the fate of a kingdom doomed to tragedy.

Mushoku Tensei (MT) will always have a special place in my heart and is my top five WN. The idea of redemption runs really strong in this series, and is a winning formula. When it ended, everyone was probably going "noooooo", probably because people wanted more of it.

I'm kind of sad that I was too busy working for the past year and had to stop TLing it, but I'm sort of back with a brand new title that I personally think is as enjoyable as MT is (probably, MT is kind of huge).

The amber sword made me feel like it is a little like game of thrones + DND infused gaming combined together to make one heck of a story that is full of hot blooded action with manly tears.

The MC in The amber sword has a very pure objective, which is to save a kingdom fated to suffer tragedy, and there were some very epic moments that I teared up at, so I would like to share it with everybody.

Some FAQ that I think might happen.

MC's cheat includes a system where he can learn skills by pouring XP into it. He gains XP by defeating monsters but does not gain XP if he kills humans.

Girls are attracted to him but so far the entirety of his actions are focused on saving the kingdoms. He does display some interest in the girls but I feel like that's the original host speaking more than he does.

If there are any Engrish mistakes that I made, please inform me and I will change accordingly.

Due to the game of thrones vibe, if you have any suggestions for me to make it sound more natural in English, please give me the feedback and I will adopt it as soon as possible.
Silentwolfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-19, 09:51   Link #2
LevelSeven

is the MC OP or will he need to lvl up?
LevelSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-19, 10:09   Link #3
wuhugm
Confused Shark

ooo, it's wolfie from MT~

what is the ncode for this?
wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-19, 10:54   Link #4
Silentwolfie

This particular series is from a Chinese webnovel, so no ncode here. I have great expectations for this webnovel, maybe even more than MT, but since it's still ongoing I'm kind of unsure whether it would be a classic or bust at the end. I'm going to refrain on posting the raws links for now so that no spoilers would suddenly spring out from nowhere (since I have not read too far ahead).

And to the 2nd post, MC not completely OP and he needs to lvl up.
Old 2015-10-19, 11:29   Link #5
wuhugm
Confused Shark

Uhyoo~ Can't read chinese anyway so gonna have to wait for your translation...

is this nariagari? main heroine is the princess yes?
Old 2015-10-19, 12:53   Link #6
Silentwolfie

Wait, what? Are all 成り上がり stories involved with princesses, it's scary how accurate you are at guessing there's a character like that. I'm not sure if the main heroine is the princess, but there is a princess in the story who was admiring his exploits a few chapters in...
Old 2015-10-19, 19:04   Link #7
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^mwahahaha~ praise me more~

well, harem nariagari usually have princesses as the final objective, for exception like Hachinan which princesses are magically non-existent, coz like it's the pinnacle of nariagari, right?
Old 2015-10-20, 00:12   Link #8
Silentwolfie

Hmm... I see, I see. I have been out of the japanese WN stuff for a while, and tate yuusha certainly did not have the princess inside the harem. Looks like there are many more titles that sprang out with princesses inside the harem?
Old 2015-10-20, 02:01   Link #9
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^Well indeed... My Bible, Oukoku Michi, Real Lvl Age, etc have one...

Melty from Tate Yuusha is a princess right? and though having nariagari in the title, tate yuusha is not a real nariagari... it's crab...
Old 2015-10-20, 02:05   Link #10
jmcu17

Er, what kind of fantasy harem doesn't have a princess archetype? It's like a high school romance comedy without a childhood friend!
jmcu17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-20, 20:39   Link #11
Silentwolfie

Phew. Alright, the initial 6 chapters currently TLed should a bit of what the MC has in personality and cheat. ^and I disagree with the above. You need kemonomimi for fantasy harem, all your fluffy tails are belong to me! No exceptions!
Old 2015-10-21, 01:56   Link #12
jmcu17

I just read all five chapters (plus prologue). This story is pretty cool. It seems to have a pretty serious plot so far, so it suits me just fine. But not really comparable to Game of Thrones (asoiaf) though. I think... more Wheel of Time. I'll definitely keep an eye on this one.

Can you tell me a bit more about how the level system work? Did he just seriously messed his build (think PoE and Diablo) up when he picked up the militia job? Can he become a swordsman later on or is he stuck as a militia forever?

Also

Spoiler:

I think it should be XP instead of HP.

Anyhow, thanks for the translation.
Old 2015-10-21, 02:09   Link #13
Corvo269

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcu17 View Post
I just read all five chapters (plus prologue). This story is pretty cool. It seems to have a pretty serious plot so far, so it suits me just fine. But not really comparable to Game of Thrones (asoiaf) though. I think... more Wheel of Time. I'll definitely keep an eye on this one.

Can you tell me a bit more about how the level system work? Did he just seriously messed his build (think PoE and Diablo) up when he picked up the militia job? Can he become a swordsman later on or is he stuck as a militia forever?

Also

Spoiler:

I think it should be XP instead of HP.

Anyhow, thanks for the translation.
From the system itself, and how they said it. I think its a modified job system. Like how in final fantasy tactics advanced games a character can unlock multiple jobs depending on his skill set and how the stats he gains per level are determined by the selected job. I assume the MC can unlock jobs by carrying out tasks, and invest XP points into the job to gain skills and stats. I assume the bonus stats from each job he put XP into stack together to make his base stats and that he retains skills from all job classes he has unlike the tactics game where you can have a skillset from the job class you have, one you had, a reaction skill and a passive support skill
Corvo269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-21, 03:20   Link #14
Silentwolfie

^ is correct, it is functioning as a job system. He gains XP by killing monsters and he can then invest XP into classes/skills. I'm not sure if the stats are stacked together though, because the author's classify levels/grades as the most important thing rather than stats. I.E lvl 50 will beat lvl 40s with relative ease.

I'm not too sure about the wheel of time since I never read the plot, but MC's trying hard to gather power by playing some politics here and there, also killed *beep* characters. It kind of feels like it's a game of thrones since everyone is vying for power (and the throne is kind of empty to be honest).

It's not as complex as GoT, but it has its few moments.

PS: And thanks for spotting the mistake.
Old 2015-10-21, 04:49   Link #15
Corvo269

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentwolfie View Post
^ is correct, it is functioning as a job system. He gains XP by killing monsters and he can then invest XP into classes/skills. I'm not sure if the stats are stacked together though, because the author's classify levels/grades as the most important thing rather than stats. I.E lvl 50 will beat lvl 40s with relative ease.

I'm not too sure about the wheel of time since I never read the plot, but MC's trying hard to gather power by playing some politics here and there, also killed *beep* characters. It kind of feels like it's a game of thrones since everyone is vying for power (and the throne is kind of empty to be honest).

It's not as complex as GoT, but it has its few moments.

PS: And thanks for spotting the mistake.
I'm assuming it will eventually end up as Harem once MC realizes he dealt with a majority of the future threat and chills a bit
Old 2015-10-21, 08:09   Link #16
Namorax

I read Wheel of time, and Game of Thrones.

While WoT has quite a few intrigues and subplots... they are nowhere as serious as they are in GoT.
GoT might be more famous, but I agree with jmcu: this is closer to SoT than GoT.
For one thing: There are no "heroes" in GoT, so everyone can die at any moments... at the hands of any random mook. Also, the intrigues of GoT are/feel a bit more complex/convoluted.
Namorax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-21, 09:53   Link #17
Silentwolfie

2 questions about wheel of time

1) Characters OP?
2) Harem?

And to Corvo, I'm not sure since I have not read that far ahead. Translating and reading at the same time really.
Old 2015-10-21, 10:04   Link #18
Corvo269

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentwolfie View Post
2 questions about wheel of time

1) Characters OP?
2) Harem?

And to Corvo, I'm not sure since I have not read that far ahead. Translating and reading at the same time really.
Good for you, my guess is that it would end up as harem after he prevents, or at the least, decreases the fucking the world over amount of threat there is
Old 2015-10-21, 10:55   Link #19
jmcu17

Wheel of Time is definitely a lot more PC than Game of Thrones. One is more of the traditional fantasy story, while the other is more a reminisce of the original Arthurian tragedies. It's not like there's no death or torture in the WoT world. Heck, some people are actually thrown into pots and cooked alive there. It's just that the narrative never goes deep into the gritty and disturbing details like ASOIAF does.

And wolfie, the answer varies. The story split into a lot of different storylines, with both male and female characters.

Spoiler for About Rand:

Spoiler for Other Characters:
Essentially, this story is about how a couple of kids from a backwater village like Two River took over the entire bloody world.

It's a fun read.
Old 2015-11-30, 13:32   Link #20
H4cko

Just started reading it a few days ago, MAN the story is GOOD ! Has a good pace and is well written, the author keeps you hungry for more content, I've not being like this since MT and Overlord. By the way Silentwolfie what are yours top 5 WB/LN ?
H4cko is offline   Reply With Quote