AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-05-03, 21:44   Link #641
BrokenWingz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiyuu View Post
while I don't really find the steam an issue he is right about the fact that nowadays its mostly used to promote DVD sales.
there are some channels that actually censure on purpose but generally speaking production studios simply censure stuff to increase DVD sales.
then again its true that most fanservice oriented series use that trick, not just gonzo.
its either steam or cutting the scenes, I think this way it gives the viewers a better idea of the DVD they may want to buy.
you know its not shameful for companies to want to have their products sold.
with piracy as high as it is today they have to do whatever they can.
While what you said is true in essence, Saki isn't an ecchi anime nor is it selling the series for its skin and flesh. Its promoting moe and mahjong and a little of *cough*yuri*cough*. If it was for example something like To-love-ru selling the ecchi aspect of the series I would buy the censorship increase sales point of view. From my perspective episode 5 is probably as rowdy as it will ever get and is probably a one off thing. Objectively it does promote sales but the impact is minimal or too insignificant to say xx series will sell more if they censored 1 or 2 episodes. Instead it should be treated as being necessary for TV viewers.
BrokenWingz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-03, 23:03   Link #642
scr
my sides are in orbit

Spoiler for eps5:

next episode: slaughter in the tournaments. this is no Bamboo Blade, they're either winning or bust.
If there's a Final Fantasy game that I must put my personal seal of disapproval on, it's Crisis Core. I mean, just look at how this Genesis Rhapsodos dude is raping the canon. It's bad. As in, fanfiction bad.
scr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-03, 23:14   Link #643
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
too early to talk about ep 5 for me, but wow, from the point of view of a mahjong player, ep 4 was twisted. i had never thought about playing to damage a particular player before. wow. of course its an anime and Nodoka just happened to have that piece, and Saki knew that the next tile on the dead wall would be her 8 thousand, but still. thats crazy.
Certainly it's nothing simple and relies on a lot of luck, but the basic principle is always to construct your hand around the discards of the player you are gunning. Like Nodoka did with Yuuki back on ep 1 when Yuuki was winning a little too much

In any case, on to the first round. It should serve well as a warm up for what is coming
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-04, 00:19   Link #644
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

but it never works like that in real life. you can never "pick" your opponent. thats what my 13 years of playing tells me. since odds are, they won't have that piece.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-04, 00:25   Link #645
Proto

Well, of course it is overdramatized and overglorified for the sake of the law of cool, but if you see that your opponent is discarding every pin as soon as they come, then making a pin based hand may pose a bit of an advantage
Old 2009-05-04, 00:47   Link #646
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
It's serenade_beta. At least 50% of his post has to be him nitpicking and tearing everything he lay his eyes upon apart. Otherwise we would start asking ourselves whether someone stole his identity or something
What about my posts?

Spoiler for The Penguin:
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-04, 01:25   Link #647
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenWingz View Post
Tsk Tsk
Spoiler for reply:
Indeed it is not just Gonzo, but too many of their anime have been so fanservice-focused recently (like Strike Witches and the horribly bear-censored Rosario), so before I knew it, my impression of Gonzo has pretty much become "Can't sell anything without baiting with fanservice... The mind is scary~

Quote:
It's serenade_beta. At least 50% of his post has to be him nitpicking and tearing everything he lay his eyes upon apart. Otherwise we would start asking ourselves whether someone stole his identity or something
Hahaha, I'm enjoying it most of the times though (both anime and post), whether I sound like it or not at times.
Maybe? Fufufu...

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-04, 01:45   Link #648
Manji Midou
Aimo ~ Tori no Hito

"my god...what l wouldn't give to eat those"
poor bastard u will never they belong to saki >_>

"nodoka is hiding tiles in her breast" lulz...
a very enjoyable ep5 indeed...

Last edited by Manji Midou; 2009-05-04 at 02:16.
Manji Midou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-04, 04:11   Link #649
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenWingz View Post
Tsk Tsk
Spoiler for reply:
No, this was "uncensored on the DVD" type steam. Normal steam scenes are just for obscurity. This clearly was meant to be pure fanservice if it hadn't been for "ray of light gj o.ob" or the sudden appearance of steam in mid air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter003 View Post
ii) Knowing the next tile on the dead wall is impossible and one unrealistic aspect of this anime. So, kids, dun bother trying this at home.
Actually, it isn't impossible. Some statistics and some insane calculations can easily get you up to almost 10% predictability. (In a very rare situation, you can have up to 20% predictability and in a 1 in a million situation, you can actually have 80% predictability.)

Last edited by bayoab; 2009-05-04 at 05:46.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-04, 04:25   Link #650
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Next episode it should be finally her time to appear in the story

Spoiler for manga cover 4:

And if I might say, I like her look =3 Besides, Im a sucker for those kind of eyes.

I wonder if she is there because of their match in the qualifiers or if she will have some importance in the storyline later, which I absolutely wouldnt mind
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-04, 06:08   Link #651
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter003 View Post
That's....interesting. Where did you get that info?
It actually came out of a conversation regarding the odds of actually doing a Rinshan Kaihou. It should be noted that the 10% is only reached toward the end of the game as the number of possible tiles on the deadwall near 0 (and you have a sense of what your opponents are after). Very early in the game, the probability is basically <1% (or rather 1/122).
Old 2009-05-04, 06:52   Link #652
BrokenWingz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
No, this was "uncensored on the DVD" type steam. Normal steam scenes are just for obscurity. This clearly was meant to be pure fanservice if it hadn't been for "ray of light gj o.ob" or the sudden appearance of steam in mid air.
I'm not going to deny the DVD will have them uncensored but as I said before the uncensored it is likely going to have fog and the nudity if any are shown which I highly doubt will be minimal. The bigger question I asked will this substantial increase sales my reply is simple no as the general audience and what the shows promoting isn't ecchi, so why would anyone be complaining? It will add incentive for some but I’m going to treat them as a minority at this stage.

Probably one of the issues with internet viewing is the age restriction and what can be enforced online under parental guidance. The internet doesn't restrict younger viewers when it takes a few clicks to gain access to rowdy content.

p.s go yuri power, it can stops ogling perversion from spreading to every characters ^^, suga has no chance with Nodoka.

Some episodes thoughts
I enjoy the president roles in the training camp and her overall back-story. If anything I’m compel by her sheer determination to keep moving forward

A fate that’s been determined, A memories which begins to move
Comes empathy and sanctuary
Surrounded by allies and friendship, thou are blessed

It’s amazing what a little bit of music can do to enhance the emotion dwelling when I watch that scene. <3 Hisa Takei/Shizuka Itō
Nodoka gains + points this episode with pengu I wouldn’t be surprised if she gains more popularity this episode.
BrokenWingz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-04, 08:34   Link #653
Proto

@Kaioshin Sama:

I swear I can't read you at all For the longest time I swore that when you were expressing your liking of lolies you were just being extremely sarcastic, but in fact you have a sweet spot of them. Your genre of choice seems to be super robots and mechas, but you have a special spot for crying games, deadpan comedies and others, which you will through-fully deny and bash them at every opportunity. But by the end of the day you will give them a satisfactory mark while no one else is watching.

My current assessment of you is a tsundere.
Old 2009-05-04, 09:21   Link #654
Vash002
Ready to Boast

Spoiler for Ep 5:
Vash002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-04, 09:25   Link #655
bayoab

Just noticed this: Cdjapan has 4 DVDs for Saki listed as 2/2/3/3 for a total of 10 episodes.
PCBG-51421 through PCBG-51424 with PCBG-51401/PCBG-51402 limited editions.
Old 2009-05-04, 10:55   Link #656
Quorum

Long skirts have their attractive point also .
Quorum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-04, 11:13   Link #657
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quorum View Post
Long skirts have their attractive point also .
yes your right but I always tend to think if they are gonna wear a long skirt like they do here they should have long hair too....don't know why I think that but I do. Not to say I don't like the look here, its all very nice, yes

RAWR FEAR THE PENGUIN!!!

been waiting for it!
Old 2009-05-04, 11:15   Link #658
g0o
d(*⌒▽⌒*)b

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
Just noticed this: Cdjapan has 4 DVDs for Saki listed as 2/2/3/3 for a total of 10 episodes.
PCBG-51421 through PCBG-51424 with PCBG-51401/PCBG-51402 limited editions.
Does this mean that it will only air for 13 episodes? I hope not...
g0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-04, 11:20   Link #659
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
@Kaioshin Sama:

I swear I can't read you at all For the longest time I swore that when you were expressing your liking of lolies you were just being extremely sarcastic, but in fact you have a sweet spot of them.
God blesses him. I always thought you would need high amount of love to be able to write the articles like that .

Quote:
Leshente is the character that made me a lolicon and made me aware of their overwhelming ungodly power.

Back on topic, I'm amazed at how people pre-judge one ep just because it has "fanservice" tag on it. I guess I should have just gotten used to it now.

[edit]
Sorry for any reposting pics, but I haven't visited this thread for a while:
Spoiler for I don't know which one is NSFW, so let's assume all of them:

Last edited by Duo Maxwell; 2009-05-04 at 12:49.
Duo Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-04, 15:10   Link #660
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiyuu View Post
...you know its not shameful for companies to want to have their products sold....
Quoted for truth. Bring on the onsen episodes and the disappearing steam.

I enjoyed ep5 for the story, the club president, and other things, but the highlights for me were the scenes between Saki and Nodoka, especially their inability to concentrate when confronted with each other's blushes. Yuri moe ftw.

As for fanservice, I understand people's resistance on moral grounds (even if I disagree) and their feeling that it's cheating, but even Shakespeare put barmaids in his plays. And anyway, anime is popular drama, not serious literature.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2009-05-04 at 15:32.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
competition, mahjong, seinen