AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2011-04-27, 17:57   Link #181
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Everything but 13 is still available at all stores and you can pre-order 18 too. It makes me think there was a mistake in 13 and they are going to fix it, but it just feels really weird.

This wouldn't bother me if I didn't order 12-14 together... I have 12 & 14, but not 13!!
Old 2011-04-27, 19:05   Link #182
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Everything but 13 is still available at all stores and you can pre-order 18 too. It makes me think there was a mistake in 13 and they are going to fix it, but it just feels really weird.

This wouldn't bother me if I didn't order 12-14 together... I have 12 & 14, but not 13!!
Why I listed Barnes and Nobel first is that the bulk of there warehouses are the publishers warehouses or affiliates, not there own (especially with manga). So if they're no longer selling it's since it's "not available at this time"... that means that publishers are out at there warehouses too, there's no "second" printing as of yet announced (or they would still order it for you), and the book isn't print on demand.

That likely means all the copies you see at "all stores" is there own inventory and not the publishers. Meaning once they run out of copies the publishers can't restock them since the publishers are out of stock as well and haven't announced any plans to print more. Note that the publishers likely could print some more real quick (like a few days quick) but that doesn't mean that they will either.

My advice is one of three things.

First (since your listed location is USA) go to Barnes & Nobles web site and search the find in store button. I'm seeing two stores with it in stock in my area, so give your nearest local store with it in stock a call and ask them to ship it too you since it's not available on the web site. I've done that before many times and gotten books that way that where out of print and out of stock everywhere else. Don't forget to ask them about the copies condition since it was on display in the store... after all you don't want a damaged copy (I even recall seeing volume 13 at my nearest store just a few days ago (volumes 1, 2, 12, 13, 14, 16 and 17 actually)). They'll charge you 3.99 shipping unless your a member but at least you'll have what could be one of the last copies. So the availably of a book on Barnes and Noble's web site isn't tied into there store stock...

Second as stated in my last post I see it in stock (saying 14 "new") on amazon but I seem to be gathering you see something else. If so call Amazon and ask why it's not available and if they could get you one some how. If it is out of stock at least ask them to speak to the publishers so they can know more people want to buy the book so printing more is a good idea . Amazon is known for selling first asking questions later anyways and is powerful enough for the publishers to listen to to print some more copies (as much as they hate amazon at times for making the publishers lose control of the pricing)

Third... buy it used from a web site. Risky condition wise but at least you'll get it.
Old 2011-04-27, 21:47   Link #183
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Okay. I ordered from Rightstuf and it was on back order for two months and they just canceled it, telling me the manufacturer has discontinued it. However, it's available at every other store... just at a higher price. I want to know if Viz found something wrong with this specific volume and are going to make a second printing, if they are, I will wait. Only 13 was canceled and is unavailable at Rightstuf, no where else.

Last edited by DragoZERO; 2011-04-28 at 10:03.
DragoZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-28, 00:50   Link #184
Ryus
The One Eyed King

First off let me state my computer crashed several times while trying to reply to you and I lost a lot of posting, so if I come off angry it's not at you.

Second that VIZ's volume 19 of Claymore was just announced for November 1st 2011. Volume 18 is still scheduled for June 7th. So Claymore this time is on a 5 month cycle between volumes and volume 19 will be released before Chistmas... why is this important to our topic?

... because last year Volume 16 also came out in June but Volume 17 was released in Mid January... the start of the slowest season of the year, a place books with no expectancy to sell except to there diehard fan are printed. So last year the VIZ as a publisher treated Claymore like it wasn't a money maker but this year it's being treated much better. Now an early November release date is no mid November to early December release (the peak hot selling new releases slots before a the holiday season) but November is still November and Claymore latest volume will be relatively new and will be in stock for the holiday season.

So based on this alone I'd say Claymore isn't in trouble of going away forever but that doesn't mean it won't be some time until Volume 13 gets some more copies printed so Rightstuf can buy more. So it's unlike Claymore is about to get an omnibus (as I previously suggested as a possiblity) or a reprint with new translation. Based on my memory Cyclone says most of VIZs Claymore is edited or poorly translated in spots... he states Riful and Dauf edits all the time as proof. I even spotted a MAJOR mistake on page one of volume 16 and I can't speak Japanese. In short Rubel after witnessing Clare, Cynthia, and Yuma kill that nameless AB in a random town in the West states that they're in Rabona (EPIC FAIL... they left that town 2 chapters prior ). I don't recall any major whining about volume 13's translation.... need to reread it I guess.

Quote:
Okay. I ordered from Rightstuf and it was on back order for two months and they just canceled it, telling me the manufacturer has discontinued it. However, it's available at every other store... just at a higher price. I want to know if Viz found something wrong with this specific volume and are going to make a second printing, if they are, I will wait. Only 13 was canceled and in unavailable at Rightstuf, no where else.
Now I have to ask for clarification here due to previously working in a book store. Did the web site tell you only volume 13 was "discontinued" and none of the others were affected. Or are you just assuming that volume 13 is the only one effected since the rest of your order wasn't effected? Next off please realize that when a publisher tells a site that they canceling an order after failing to meet the order for an extended period of time they tell you it was "discontinued" and not going out of print. So "discontinued" doesn't always mean a book is out of print... especially if the supplier of the book can't find it cheaply enough since it is "discontinued" but only from the vendors that sold it to them that cheaply. So what they're telling you is true but not the whole story as why they canceled the order.

Publishers are in a kinda war with stores. The publishers used to be the top dog until a company called Barnes and Nobel came alone and changed the industry (the full history lesson in brief: http://www.robertringer.com/book-publishers.html). Now publishers make most of there profits from mass selling of best sellers since it costs the publishers money to stop printing something and reset up for another book (especially when it comes to restocking things that have long sense been best sellers)... so the more times they stop printing the less they make and the more it costs them. Often they'll use a single over booked press to do this or pay a minor third party a small amount to do it for them once there enough demand for something or they get too backed up to do it themselves. That being said it selling out at only a few places but still having a good number of copies floating about at higher prices likely doesn't yet warrant another printing in there mind (especially since they prefer books selling at higher values... publishers have mad a big deal bout there products being under valued).

Now web sites like places like amazon would love to print you the book themselves but due to copy right laws they can't do that without paying the publishers money (at least until the book is ~60 years old). So the web sites can't spend the money to print it just for you, pay the publishers there cut, and still make a profit (and hopefully not get finned for printing it either). Publishers of course won't sell the rights to others to print there stuff since in the long run they fear doing this would make them lose control over the pricing (and as a result they would die as a company) and they've been slowly losing this battle of late with the advent of these web sites and chain store selling books cheaply by buying in bulk or what not.

So, I hate to say it but, as far as the publisher is concerned you not being able to find the one book you're looking for on one web site cheaply only benefits them in the long run. Low on copies isn't sold out yet. After all they care about control of there product, not running out of a best seller, and getting the next best seller ready... sure they'll likely print more copies eventually but that will likely only be so you'll buy volume 18 or 19 as well. BTW it's very common for books in a series to get more copies printed when the next book comes out, since after all you do have too have read all the previous books to likely want to buy the latest one. So there may be more copies coming out in June or November or maybe not...
Old 2011-04-28, 10:03   Link #185
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

I'll wait. Other sites may not have updated the status or have plenty of stock and all. The worst thing is that I have 14 sitting on my shelf. >.<
Old 2011-05-25, 21:06   Link #186
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Went to Barnes & Noble today and read volume 13. It was really bad. The typesetting was poor, it had strange fonts, and the leveling was off. So, they discontinued it because it sucked. I'll be waiting for the second publishing of it.
Old 2011-05-28, 09:44   Link #187
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Here's a question... what's the printed price (USA) on the back of volumes 15 and up?? Did Viz raise their price??
Old 2011-05-28, 11:18   Link #188
Falcor

Send a message via MSN to Falcor
Quote:
Here's a question... what's the printed price (USA) on the back of volumes 15 and up?? Did Viz raise their price??
Yes. Volume 14 was the last release with a printed price of $7.99 USA. Volumes 15-17 all have a printed price of $9.99 USA. Strangely enough, the UK price remains the same at £6.99 for all volumes....
Falcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-28, 12:01   Link #189
Ryus
The One Eyed King

It wasn't just Claymore... VIZ increased the price of most of there mangas at the same time Claymore's price went up back in late summer 2009. It effected pretty much every manga, even the big three (all of them jumped from 7.95 to 9.99 also). They did it due to "scans on the web taking away sales" and "the economy back then also really effecting manga sales in the US".

As to the typesetting in volume 13, in my copy of volume 13 it's the same as every other volume of Claymore... Makes me wonder if you got a different version DragoZERO.
Old 2011-06-04, 02:24   Link #190
Ryus
The One Eyed King

OK I'll keep this short since it's late and I'm rather tired. However I'll likely add to it in another post in the next day or so. Feel free to ask me about any line or two... just recall I won't be posting every detail of every line.

Volume 18 was in my local Barnes and Noble today... off first glance they really dumbed down the text vs the scans. That said I noticed a few lines that made more sense (Priscilla calls "the weak scent of that man" "the source" for example) yet many of the more clear explanations kinda felt dumbed down to me, worse some amazing wording was lost in some key scenes too. For example "N..NO... UMA-SAN... SHE'S... SHE'S... BEYOND SAVING..." went to "N-No... No, Don't. Uma... We're... We're too late..." I'm sorry, that's god awful writing.

Priscilla's first line to Beth IMHO made her sound a lot stronger than the scan here she calls them "miserable weaklings" vs "weak babies" in the scans.

Oh, and Jean is no longer a big wedge inside of Clare but a great big block. It felt really weird seeing Helen ask what a block was (vs asking what a wedge was in the scans)

The difference that I liked least was that Yuma's whole "I'm about to die thought process" was poorly worded. "It's good I led them this far away, but if I bite it here, it would still be a burden to Cynthia. I don't want to die quite this quickly. and I'd finally managed to pull off regenerating and synchronizing. I was hoping I'd finally be of some use to the rest of the gang. I wonder if Miria would have been proud of me... Helen and Deneve sure would have been surprised. Tabitha would have said the same thing as Miria. Clare... what would Clare think? Clare was always so distant... she probably wouldn't have said a word. but in her heart, she'd be the happiest one of all I think. I really wanted to see everyone just one more time."

First off the line " but if I bite it here, it would still be a burden to Cynthia." is pure fucking shit! I mean first off it makes it sound like if she lives she's a burden too but the big failure of it is that it doesn't clarify if it means she didn't run far enough away and the hellcats could come back and eat her in her weakened state or if her death would cause her to blame herself for her Death as well as Veronica's and cause her to suffer quietly alone with that cross to bare rather than being able to be there for her after the fight and help her move on past Veronica emotionally.

My next problem was the very next line "I don't want to die quite this quickly." Um... Ok i get that you meant that you don't want to die just yet... but it makes it sound like you'd prefer a horribly gruesome death over an instant one. Which is ,uh, just freaky out of character and very disturbed.

I disliked "I wonder if Miria would have been proud of me..." since it makes it seem like Miria has low standards vs the scans like of "would have praised me" as in a good healthy compliment to make her feel good about herself and show her appreciation of her accomplishment but that would also help her take a next step forward to become even stronger.

My final problem was the line "Clare... what would Clare think?" Don't you mean "do" not "think"? After all as a character with a limited point of view your first natural thought would be how she'd reacts not the thought process behind it, that comes after.

Overall I felt this was mostly a very dumbed down version of the scans that occasionally got something right (which only made Daufs extra dumbing down he gets in any VIZ translation even worse". Plus they needlessly added lines here and there, my guess was it was to make it sound more like every day speak but I feel it failed on this front. I mean for example Dea's first stated personal opinion upon seeing the Destroyer was "Magnificent!" Yet here it's "Magnificent, isn't it?"... yeah, I get it... no one in real life says those awesome oneliner reactions but random rhetorical questions to people whom he views as idiots isn't something he'd do either... since he's not the type to want there opinions. So why the hell did they bother doing that? Just to needlessly confuse people? I didn't notice any errors, which is a good plus though, but lots of why the hell did they bother changing that? I mean lets face it the fans of Claymore aren't little kids whom need dumbing down... in fact most little kids wouldn't read Claymore since they want something far lighter and less dark so why write to that crowd rather than the true target market whom is older and more than smart enough to figure out the dialog of Claymore. Is it a desperate attempt to gain more young readers to the series for more sales? which makes no since due to the age rating on the back stating older teen+ or is it pure ignorance of whom your target market is in the states and English speaking world?
Old 2011-06-04, 09:01   Link #191
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

If I recall, the scanlations we read for that were not the best, so don't take it to heart. "Block" is the better choice than "wedge" after all. The magnificent thing is fine. The 'scent' vs 'source' was probably done because of the disambiguation of 'scent' - we all argued over it after all. And 'beyond saving' and 'too late' carry the same meaning and 'too late' is the more commonly used phrase in the US too. That's not to say that I agree with everything, but just keep in mind there are two sides to everything.

My problem lies when the script is inconsistent. I just read volume 14 and Agatha said that Miata reattached her arms. Um, she grew them back. It's that kind of thing that bugs me.

As for the "dumbing down," it could be the translator changed. I believe the translation is outsourced so we have no way of knowing if someone else is doing it.
Old 2011-06-04, 11:28   Link #192
GrimJack

Quote:
My problem lies when the script is inconsistent. I just read volume 14 and Agatha said that Miata reattached her arms. Um, she grew them back. It's that kind of thing that bugs me.

I think if you look again Miata reattached her hands at least that is the way I have always seen it since the raw came out.

I think Priscilla did something similar in her fight with Isley at least the artwork of the rejoining was similar.

the rough outline on her wrists is where she reattached them

I could be wrong but that is the way I have always see it

One thing Viz has going for it is that we are on volume 20 in Japan 18 here I wish more manga were this current
Old 2011-06-04, 12:58   Link #193
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimJack View Post
I think if you look again Miata reattached her hands at least that is the way I have always seen it since the raw came out.

I think Priscilla did something similar in her fight with Isley at least the artwork of the rejoining was similar.

the rough outline on her wrists is where she reattached them

I could be wrong but that is the way I have always see it
Then the blame goes to Yagi.

Quote:
One thing Viz has going for it is that we are on volume 20 in Japan 18 here I wish more manga were this current
Yes, they did well in catching up. And you can pre-order before hand with even more time now too.

On a side note, I just ordered more Claymore, 15+, and got 16+ with 15 on back order.
Old 2011-06-04, 14:06   Link #194
Ryus
The One Eyed King

Quote:
If I recall, the scanlations we read for that were not the best, so don't take it to heart. "Block" is the better choice than "wedge" after all. The magnificent thing is fine. The 'scent' vs 'source' was probably done because of the disambiguation of 'scent' - we all argued over it after all. And 'beyond saving' and 'too late' carry the same meaning and 'too late' is the more commonly used phrase in the US too. That's not to say that I agree with everything, but just keep in mind there are two sides to everything.

As for the "dumbing down," it could be the translator changed. I believe the translation is outsourced so we have no way of knowing if someone else is doing it.
As to "Wedge" vs "block" Actually ch 101 had one of the better translator doing it before the site know for speed > quality took over... but my problem wasn't the word choice but how Helen responded to the word choice, which i'll get to in a moment. In the scans Helen asks "A wedge...? What is that? What do you mean by wedge?" where here Helen said a more poorly worded question of "A block? What's that? What the hell is a block?" I mean if you wanted to dumb down the wording it should have been a "mental" block, not just "block". Lets face it either without mental in front just sounds wrong in English so don't get me wrong. My point though wasn't about that at all... it was that I laughed when the character know for her stupidity didn't understand a term also used in sword fighting and couldn't figure out on her own the context... then proceeded to call Clare "an idiot". Don't know about you but I just find that too funny.

I fully get the two sides of every argument. I'm just saying that I prefer Claymore with less common place speak from time to time... it makes it feel like more of a fantasy and makes many lines more memorable.

As stated nothing was wrong with the translation... couldn't spot a single mistake actually (in fact it fixed several mistakes in the scans, like Priscilla saying she was looking forward to eating Riful to saying it wouldn't taste good but given her lack of options she'd endure her poor taste (paraphrased that)... it's just that many of the choices I felt made it more of a simple read a 9 year old could handle than something memorable with it's slightly unique dialog meant for it's target market of ~16+. All in all it is a good buy... just saying I didn't like there choice in whom it felt like it was marketed to. The series appeals to the 15-16 plus crowd and they typically can easily hand a bit of less common dialog and often prefer mild amounts of it in a fantasy setting, since it's a different word it's not unthinkable that things might be slightly spoken differently there yet carry the same meaning. If someone could handle dialog in Lord of the Rings or Star Wars the dialog here would have been a cake walk... so why dumb it down/make it more bland or plain?
Old 2011-07-21, 00:25   Link #195
Falcor

Send a message via MSN to Falcor
Has anyone else noticed the huge mistake on page 5 of volume 18? The last sentence of "The Story Thus Far" paragraph refers to Riful of the North. That doesn't exactly bode well for the accuracy of this particular translation... go figure.
Falcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-22, 09:13   Link #196
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

I think it's because she changed her location. Isley was mentioned with south at one point. We need someone who has the Japanese version to TL it for us, lol.
Old 2011-08-15, 20:01   Link #197
Jc1

Hmm I am confused. It says on Viz's volume 18 that volume 19 will come out in September 2011 but most websites say that it would come out in November 2011. Can someone clarify this for me?
Jc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-15, 21:09   Link #198
Kinematics
Let's play a game!

Release dates have been slightly accelerated of late, but are still at about 5 month intervals. V17 was January 4; V18 was June 7; V19 is expected on November 1. The September date appears to be a typo, as other volumes' predicted release dates match actual release dates.
Kinematics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-31, 01:14   Link #199
hollywoodlou
from Hollywood CA

Quote:
I think it's because she changed her location. Isley was mentioned with south at one point. We need someone who has the Japanese version to TL it for us, lol.
It's nice that someone did point that out, as even the earlier scanlators like Frankyhouse confused some people about the location but it's a small thingy, no big deal. I bought Vol 10 onwards of the Viz versions miraculously, at an L.A. library sell-off. The previous volumes I bought was when Borders closed their stores months back for half-price so I just bought them outright.

I prefer the Viz stuff more than the current scanlations if it it were up to me. If you are subbing or TL Japanese and turning them into English, why the F do you still have to put in "nee-san" or "kun" or "sama" in it? As readers, we already know who is senior' etc. Sorry, pet peeve of mine..
Old 2011-09-03, 08:27   Link #200
Shiek927
Thread Hijacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodlou
I prefer the Viz stuff more than the current scanlations if it it were up to me. If you are subbing or TL Japanese and turning them into English, why the F do you still have to put in "nee-san" or "kun" or "sama" in it? As readers, we already know who is senior' etc. Sorry, pet peeve of mine..
No no, on that I agree -- I don't really like stuff like that, especially in a story like this where that sort of vocabulary just doesn't exist; it just feels too cutesy in a dark story like this, especially when the story is so European-based -- suddenly reading somebody referred to a "--san" or something suddenly feels like the immersion is broken. An example is Cynthia; she's very nice, but some scanlators include the suffix when she's talking to or about other people -- even if she actually says these things in the raw, It's something I'd personally rather not see when I read the english scanlation.

Doesn't ruin the reading experience or anything, but darn does it come close *shrug.