AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

View Poll Results: Nanoha - StrikerS - Episode 08 Rating
Perfect 10 29 27.88%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 42 40.38%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 22 21.15%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 5.77%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.92%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.96%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.92%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-20, 21:58   Link #221
Fuyu no Sora
Mistress of Impatience

Location: In a place of extremes. From below freezing to above boiling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estavali View Post
I think Icarus made a good point here.

Otherwise, I think she might be trying to convey another message as well. Things don't always go as you plan, and an all-out attack that leaves you naked (so to speak) is going to kill you once things go unexpected. Note how shocked those two were when Nanoha disabled RH's Device Mode, and chose to go melee on them. They clearly didn't expect this turn of events, nor Nanoha not going "Nihaha, it's alright. We all make mistakes~" for once.

Subaru's naivety, and perhaps, even Tia's, since she actually agreed with her about Nanoha going easy on them despite the obvious problems this would cause.
Like what Nanoha said, what they were doing was no longer within training boundaries, but was something akin to "kill-or-be-killed".

The second shot was to show them what IS going to happen in real-life.

Perhaps Nanoha herself was to be blamed for being too kind to them.
Perhaps. However, when faced with a real life-threatening situation, the attacker won't use a magic-only attack. He/she will go for the kill mercilessly. If that was a real-life situation, Teana and Subaru would both be dead.
Old 2007-05-20, 22:01   Link #222
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

...looks like the Aono-hate suddenly transfers to Nanoha...

*Seriously, I really thought that Nanoha was justified... If she wasn't She would've hit Subaru too. Plus the fact that she turned Raging Heart off, If she really wanted to kill them... Excelion mode was a better choice of maiming weapon.

Amuro's proud right now.
Old 2007-05-20, 22:03   Link #223
hikaru2895
GPL Freedom Fighter

Quoted from 4chan:

Anonymous 05/20/07(Sun)21:03 No.3383299
Finished watching the raw. Holy. F***.
I don't care about the pacing, or the animation, or the art. Right now, I couldn't give a sh**. This beats the everloving sh** out of any episode of Nanoha to date.

Last edited by hikaru2895; 2007-05-20 at 22:04. Reason: language...
Old 2007-05-20, 22:04   Link #224
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
... No I'm not seeing it. Unless you're implying something R Rated which we all know only happens in Yuuno's dreams. =p
The Sith Lord speaks truth. It's in the A's manga.

Quote:
I think Icarus made a good point here.

Otherwise, I think she might be trying to convey another message as well. Things don't always go as you plan, and an all-out attack that leaves you naked (so to speak) is going to kill you once things go unexpected. Note how shocked those two were when Nanoha disabled RH's Device Mode, and chose to go melee on them. They clearly didn't expect this turn of events, nor Nanoha not going "Nihaha, it's alright. We all make mistakes~" for once.

Subaru's naivety, and perhaps, even Tia's, since she actually agreed with her about Nanoha going easy on them despite the obvious problems this would cause.
Like what Nanoha said, what they were doing was no longer within training boundaries, but was something akin to "kill-or-be-killed". Had they faced a real enemy, s/he would not warn Subaru about reckless maneuvers. The moment Subaru was thrown off, the opponent could have followed it up with a bind and/or a finishing blow.

The second shot was to show them what IS going to happen in real-life.

Perhaps Nanoha herself was to be blamed for being too kind to them.
True she has been pretty slack. I fear for them now
Old 2007-05-20, 22:05   Link #225
BPHaru

Quote:
Actually I do wonder if Satoshi (…)
First that everything, is not Satoshi, is Satashi.

Quote:
Actually I do wonder if Satoshi will be pretty close on about what happened to Nanoha... That would be most definantly highly amusing. It'd almost be like Satoshi predicted the future!
Only without the drinking and Nanoha and Fate making out before Fate went with Hayate to meet them uh, Crim was it? I forgot.
That's because the people in ivory that are in charge of the plot of this average-poor quality anime actually are reading Satashi’s fics, and maybe they even are devoted fans
Honestly, I hope all the predictions of Satashi will turn true...
And by the way, chapter 3 of 6th Division is coming out today, or maybe tomorrow.
EDIT: chapter 3 is out!

Quote:
When did Nanoha ever attack Yuuno? <_<
Never. Obviously Fate is higher up on the friendship scale then!
I’m sure Nanoha “attacks” Fate every Night during the 3 hours “strategy planning time”

Spoiler for 3 hours time with Fate-chan:

-Haru
Old 2007-05-20, 22:06   Link #226
Fuyu no Sora
Mistress of Impatience

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikaru2895 View Post
Anonymous 05/20/07(Sun)21:03 No.3383299
Finished watching the raw. Holy. F***.
I don't care about the pacing, or the animation, or the art. Right now, I couldn't give a sh**. This beats the everloving sh** out of any episode of Nanoha to date.
Excuse me. What the heck is that supposed to mean eh?

EDIT: Seriously? THANKS A LOT HARU!!
Old 2007-05-20, 22:09   Link #227
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?

@Fuyu's first post in this page: Point. I added this in as well to my previous post.

The fact is such: Subaru and Tia came up with a plan that had been based within the (relative) safety zone that training provides. However, such a plan would have dire consequences should they execute it in real battle (as the duo's eventual sorry condition vaguely shows).

Nanoha wants them to know this. That's what the second shot was for. Had those two come across opponents that Nanoha and Fate faced in A's (the Wolkenritter, the Liezes, and ultimately Yami no Sho), would such recklessness help them? They aren't the only ones who can come up with a sneak attack, as Shamal and the Liezes have shown. And YnS pretty much defies every known trick in the book.

Could they last long against such foes, with their current mentality?

Last edited by Estavali; 2007-05-20 at 22:10. Reason: Ack, people post so fast here...
Old 2007-05-20, 22:09   Link #228
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
It all sounds like a solid understanding. It took a couple hundred posts but we may finally have Nanoha's reasoning down. Probably was to teach a valuable lesson about what can happen if you fight recklessly. Teana gets knocked out, partially due to being unstable and part to teach her what can happen if she losses control in a battle. Subaru gets the painful lesson as well, if you are stupid you may have to watch your friends get hurt or killed. Hopefully they can learn from this and not just be angry about what happened.

Going barehanded was probably to protect Teana from getting really hurt. Raising Heart can get out of hand if one isn't careful. Maybe grabing the blade and getting hurt was meant to shake them up and teach them that if the attack had connected Nanoha really could've been hurt.

Yeah the two decided to use a plan that protected them based on the relative safety of the test. But they took actions that went against the rules of that test. If your going to break the rules you should be prepared for leaving the parts that protect you from serious harm. It's probably for the best that they dealt with this. No doubt if they were fighting like this in A's they wouldn't be going to rest off the test, they'd be in a coffin.

I'm sure they won't need this, hope that Caro and Erio are going to learn from this. While they aren't taking a test any time soon it's something they should learn. Wouldn't want either of them getting blasted around to prove a point.

Nice to see that Fate and Yuuno have a good friendship. Besides I think Yuuno did a good enough job by giving Nanoha her tool of befriending.
Old 2007-05-20, 22:10   Link #229
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuyu no Sora View Post
Excuse me. What the heck is that supposed to mean eh?
I thinjk it just means they're extremely pleased with this ep.

And having seen the actual clip now, I have nothing else to say than what has been covered on Nanoha's motivations (and I find them very good ones), although I think this the the slickest, and the best animated battle in StrikerS since it aired. I had goosebumps as Nanoha went off the deep end in her speech

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2007-05-20, 22:12   Link #230
krisslanza
Sleep beneath the flowers

WHAT CHAPTER 3!? SWEET.
And yeah, my bad. I forgot if there was an 'o' or an 'a'.

And pshaw, in Yuuno's dreams something happened in A's... XD

But that should be mad in the relationship topic not here. I'll agree though, this episode is by far the best so far. And just from a 4 minute clip!
Old 2007-05-20, 22:12   Link #231
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
I thinjk it just means they're extremely pleased with this ep.

And having seen the actual clip now, I have nothing else to say than what has been covered on Nanoha's motivations (and I find them very good ones), although I think this the the slickest, and the best animated battle in StrikerS since it aired. I had goosebumps as Nanoha went off the deep end in her speech
Aye. What we need now is better animation/drawing to evaluate this to utmost awesomeness.
Old 2007-05-20, 22:13   Link #232
aroduc
Ruiner of Things

Quote:
Aye. What we need now is better animation/drawing to evaluate this to utmost awesomeness.
Seriously. The resolution this week was slightly better... but offset by the fact that the entire damn thing was flickering. It's hard to see in the caps, but trust me, it was irritating as all get out.
Old 2007-05-20, 22:16   Link #233
Demon Eyes
May Haru-ki Be With You

Send a message via MSN to Demon Eyes
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPHaru View Post
First that everything, is not Satoshi, is Satashi.

That's because the people in ivory that are in charge of the plot of this average-poor quality anime actually are reading Satashi’s fics, and maybe they even are devoted fans
Honestly, I hope all the predictions of Satashi will turn true...
And by the way, chapter 3 of 6th Division is coming out today, or maybe tomorrow.
EDIT: chapter 3 is out!

I’m sure Nanoha “attacks” Fate every Night during the 3 hours “strategy planning time”

Spoiler for 3 hours time with Fate-chan:

-Haru
Yes...It seems here be more Satashi fans...

I am actually close to believing you that Nanoha animators read these fics...

BTW, Nice to meet you ~Haru, I be Demon Eyes...

A friend of a fan of FxN is my Friend...Get ready for my Starlight Breaker...

I love your take on Nanoha's hitting Fate all nights but let's have some more 'rea' evidence, shall we...Chaos~?

Now THAT is befriending...
Old 2007-05-20, 22:19   Link #234
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?

Breaking the momentum for a while, it seems funny to me that only a few hours ago, we were all worried about the deadness that this episode may have.

They did a good job not revealing the juicier parts in this episode in last week's preview.

(Come to think of it, the title music was more somber than the usual one. A foreshadowing, perhaps?)
Old 2007-05-20, 22:25   Link #235
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Breaking the momentum for a while, it seems funny to me that only a few hours ago, we were all worried about the deadness that this episode may have.

They did a good job not revealing the juicier parts in this episode in last week's preview.

(Come to think of it, the title music was more somber than the usual one. A foreshadowing, perhaps?)
I think that was a VERY smart move on their part... not much hype on the episode, and an anticipatory episode for Subaru/Teana fans. Then BAM, they drop this unexpected bombshell on us like Hiroshima

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2007-05-20, 22:26   Link #236
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

*waves magazine*

Yeah I never expected to get this charged from Yuuno's appeareance, or that last bit about Dark Nonaha. Looks like they do compensate for dulling things down for some angst. Next weeks gonna be anticipated, and I'm sure both the Legion and 300 are looking forward to it for news of Nanoha's injury.

*points to avatar and *
Old 2007-05-20, 22:27   Link #237
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?

Btw, about this part:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari-no-sugata View Post
Here's a quick translation of the lines at the end of the ep
Spoiler:
Nanoha seems to be reminding them about how Tia's brother was killed, and the sorrow and regrets that came with his death.
Old 2007-05-20, 22:32   Link #238
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
I'm probably doing a Bad Thing by not reading all of the thread before commenting, but it's late and I'm just excited. (And tired.)

So far in my view, the infamous last scene of the episode can have two broad interpretations as follows:

Spoiler:

Well, that was a rather depressing rush (contradictory as it may seem). I think I'll go watch some Lucky Star to get my good humour back.
Old 2007-05-20, 22:32   Link #239
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
I think that was a VERY smart move on their part... not much hype on the episode, and an anticipatory episode for Subaru/Teana fans. Then BAM, they drop this unexpected bombshell on us like Hiroshima
They really did a great job in surprising everyone. Making the preview look one way and then hitting us hard with what happens in the test. I think that's a good way of calling it since it was just that massive. Throw in the preview and it was a real shock of an episode.

Well I think dkellis's first theory really examples what everyone was going through when this episode first hit us. Nanoha snapping and really beating Teana beyond what was necessary. We really went through a lot with much hot headed arguing back and forth. It really was helpful when we got a translation from when Nanoha caught the attacks.

The second part is a bit closer to what people are thinking. Nanoha was sending a message, a tough one. Fighting like they were in real combat would get you killed. It's sad since we saw through this episode how hard Nanoha was working to train them, but when the test came they through that away and went in foolishly.

It was probably a mix of being upset and sad from what they were doing. Those two failed the first test because they were reckless. So Nanoha spends all this time training them and when they get a second chance they show that they learned absolutely nothing except how to bring forth stronger attacks.

It'll probably be helpful to read through the thread since a lot of the reasoning has been brought forward. But it is impressive how you came to some of these conclusions just on your own. Have fun getting cheered up via Lucky Star.

Last edited by FlareKnight; 2007-05-20 at 22:43.
Old 2007-05-20, 22:39   Link #240
Fuyu no Sora
Mistress of Impatience

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
It all sounds like a solid understanding. It took a couple hundred posts but we may finally have Nanoha's reasoning down. Probably was to teach a valuable lesson about what can happen if you fight recklessly. Teana gets knocked out, partially due to being unstable and part to teach her what can happen if she losses control in a battle. Subaru gets the painful lesson as well, if you are stupid you may have to watch your friends get hurt or killed. Hopefully they can learn from this and not just be angry about what happened.

Going barehanded was probably to protect Teana from getting really hurt. Raising Heart can get out of hand if one isn't careful. Maybe grabing the blade and getting hurt was meant to shake them up and teach them that if the attack had connected Nanoha really could've been hurt.
Quite true. Also I think Subaru's lesson was harder than Teana's because for her it's a psychological lesson, not physical. Those almost never leave your mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Eyes View Post
Yes...It seems here be more Satashi fans...

I am actually close to believing you that Nanoha animators read these fics...

BTW, Nice to meet you ~Haru, I be Demon Eyes...

A friend of a fan of FxN is my Friend...Get ready for my Starlight Breaker...

I love your take on Nanoha's hitting Fate all nights but let's have some more 'rea' evidence, shall we...Chaos~?

Now THAT is befriending...
It's been so long since a fellow NxF believer came back to us .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kha View Post
*waves magazine*

Yeah I never expected to get this charged from Yuuno's appeareance, or that last bit about Dark Nonaha. Looks like they do compensate for dulling things down for some angst. Next weeks gonna be anticipated, and I'm sure both the Legion and 300 are looking forward to it for news of Nanoha's injury.

*points to avatar and *
Nanoha Taisen will NOT restart. We're doing fine without them and we've got a nice post count while being on topic. Let's leave it that way.