AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2015-04-03, 18:07   Link #61
RDNexus

The problem with Anime-only viewers: Too High Expectations, Too Few Checking Around!!!
And that sucks in my department... Of course, everyone has the right to have their own opinion but doing so after only one episode and going into a story thinking it is one thing and then coming here to voice their misplaced disappointed is tiresome...
Too bad it happens more frequently that the optimal expectation...
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-03, 18:12   Link #62
Enternal

Actually, people should take a look at the 1st volume of Dungeon from Yen Press. It will show you his internal dialogue at to why he ran away plus how he view Hestia. It's not what you think as to why he ran away.
Enternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-03, 18:12   Link #63
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOmus View Post
Did you read the name of this serie???
I doubt it.

Quote:
Cmon, its the first chapter, you expect that everything is explained in those 24 min without introducing some characters?? At least say that after chapter 2 or 3....
The thing is: If someone goes into this show expecting an oldschool fantasy action drama with a heroic MC bashing monster heads in in an epic fantasy world, this show is not for him, simple as that. Not in 1, 2 or 3 episodes.

DanMachi is a primarily character-driven harem romcom. Its strength are the diverse characters and the antics between them. It has one unusual twist, namely having gods/goddesses living together with humans. Other than that, the fantasy background is just that - background. The focus lies elsewhere.

That's why I'm saying to several people here: Don't embarrass yourself and irritate the fans by whining that the show is not what you expected/wanted, blow in your hanky and move on.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-03, 18:12   Link #64
FunnyGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahak86 View Post
Images
I see no other reason to watch this
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Seriously, this is another ecchi worth fantasizing!!!
Boner-kun is pleased.
FunnyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-03, 18:17   Link #65
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newprimus View Post
He's also 14 years old. It's an awkward age.
Exactly. He's in the middle of puberty. I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueknight78 View Post
and she can?, because she want him to notice and take her and keep making movies you know like all the cliches harem where the girls keep making movies but the guy still pretty much "meh" to then.

but he want a girlfriend this is the title of this novel. he looking for it, even for that age is not hard see a girl saying, you have a girl at your side and bla bla bla and no notice, really this is a harem thing.

that is my problem on harem most of the times we have some "lamen" excuse for the mc, he is too young, he have some woman disease, some mental issue, aways have a excuse to be like that.

that is a trooper which i hate in most of the harems, for the sake of "harem state" the mc must be clueless or stupid or coward or perve as possible, he rarelly is aware or honest ro himself until near the end "when this happen"(what also not happen so often, some mcs ending in the same way or even worsth in some cases)
Like I said. She's a goddess and Bell knows his place. He holds respect and awe for her as he should, which prevents romantic feelings. You could say Hestia's been goddess-zoned.
bakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-03, 18:17   Link #66
Amiluhur
Gondok

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOmus View Post
Did you read the name of this serie???
Cmon, its the first chapter, you expect that everything is explained in those 24 min without introducing some characters?? At least say that after chapter 2 or 3....
I didn't expect them to explain everything in 24 minutes. I simply want to know what kind of world this show actually revolves around. Dungeon? Some Cave? Or some floor-based system that members of Loki familia conversing about? Just a bit more wouldn't be that hard to pull off. And yet they didn't even bother to simply tell us what the heck is this all about.
Amiluhur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-03, 18:19   Link #67
Enternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
I doubt it.

The thing is: If someone goes into this show expecting an oldschool fantasy action drama with a heroic MC bashing monster heads in in an epic fantasy world, this show is not for him, simple as that. Not in 1, 2 or 3 episodes.

DanMachi is a primarily character-driven harem romcom. Its strength are the diverse characters and the antics between them. It has one unusual twist, namely having gods/goddesses living together with humans. Other than that, the fantasy background is just that - background. The focus lies elsewhere.

That's why I'm saying to several people here: Don't embarrass yourself and irritate the fans by whining that the show is not what you expected/wanted, blow in your hanky and move on.
There is also an issue with patience. It's becoming more frequent where viewers expect the 1st episode to be "the theory of everything". I remember seeing a few years ago some people were complaining about plot holes in episode 2 and bashed the show like there is no tomorrow only for the supposed plot holes to be explained the very next episode. Patience is a virtue.

Back on topic. Bell, who is considered like a bunny by others, is not very big or tall. Hestia is even smaller than he is. It's always surprising that she's a loli yet she's so... developed in all places. That's just so odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiluhur View Post
I didn't expect them to explain everything in 24 minutes. I simply want to know what kind of world this show actually revolves around. Dungeon? Some Cave? Or some floor-based system that members of Loki familia conversing about? Just a bit more wouldn't be that hard to pull off. And yet they didn't even bother to simply tell us what the heck is this all about.
You know it's not hard to pull off? Well you are somewhat correct but every author has their own ways of explaining the setting. This author is one of them. Not all author does introduction volumes like Horizon. Be patient.
Enternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-03, 18:29   Link #68
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiluhur View Post
First, I would like to give credit to the producers for showing the reaction of onlookers to a blood-drenched Bell walking straight to the guild. The manga and novel never went into that.

Second, you're absolutely right. The first episode should have explained everything you said, but maybe this is part of an overall strategy to show-then-tell. We saw a good number of things to draw inferences such as the use of magic stones in everyday life, the harvesting of stones by adventurers, and their exchange for monetary reward.
Old 2015-04-03, 18:29   Link #69
Mangonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahak86 View Post
Images
I see no other reason to watch this
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Because balance is boring.
mmhmm, pretty much this. I'm not typically a fan of the overly endowed fantasy women that are so prevalent in ecchi/harem series, but Hestia is so adorable and so far the animation is so good I'll probably watch the next couple of eps for the service alone.

That said if the series looks like its going no where with relationship or plot development I'll lose interest real fast. Eye candy will only carry me so far.
Mangonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-03, 18:32   Link #70
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I think people are a bit too excitable regardless. In the end it is a harem so have to accept some things as a given considering the genre. There are variants within that, but you can't go into every show expecting it to be the one that's different. No point torturing yourself.

Although at the same time we have the 3 episode rule for a reason. Even if you don't like the first episode you still want to see a bit more to see what happens. So I don't think anyone should have to leave just because they didn't have a good first impression. But at the same time I can see people being tired off the same thing happening every season....it's a complicated situation.

As to Bell, I'll wait and see how the guy turns out. In some ways the immaturity actually wasn't such a bad thing. You can have a dense lead, but seems a very human reaction to get embarrassed and frustrated when hearing what Bell heard in that bar/restaurant. People would get upset in that situation. Of course, it's objectively a dumb thing to respond to that by running carelessly into a dungeon and potentially getting yourself killed.

Anyways, it's started pretty well and I'm looking forward to seeing where we go. Plus it was somewhat refreshing for a fantasy show to still have blood in it (that's actually red), also not bad effects for the monsters disintegrating after defeat. The whole thing is just a fun RPG event .
Old 2015-04-03, 18:34   Link #71
RDNexus

I think in the Manga many points of the setting were actually properly exposed at the beginning...
It's just that I'm not exactly sure since it's been quite a while since I've read the first chapters...
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-03, 18:36   Link #72
Chichiryuushintei

A really enjoyable First Episode, even though the whole "you gotta go pick up chicks in a cave filled with murderous monsters dude!" is kinda weird in my eyes it isn't by no means bad.

The characters are okay, I guess, Bell is a nice kid in search of something, Hestia entered my TOP 10 best girls in under 2 minutes, and the wolf dude is worse than most pricks you see in anime, and that's something impressive. That blonde heroine is pretty, but nothing else noteworthy aside from her strenght.

The music is just fantastic.
Chichiryuushintei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-03, 18:44   Link #73
Blueknight78

to be fair i dont read the novels but i read the manga what i read is not too much different from what i see in the first episode.

and to @mentar this is a public forum for peoples share they own opnions toward the shows, ofcourse pure bash and troll is not good, but this dont means which i can only prise and say how awesome the show is (at last dont having nothing in the rules over it).

dont have any rule saying which only the serie fan can post and we can only prise the thing then before goes on the rage badwagon remember to respect others peoples opnion as well.

my opnion is not just "first episode" but what i know about this series which i can't furter speak more or will be espoiler.

yeah what make kodaka even worst and one of the worst harem mcs(even in japan) is exactly because he was aware and was acting as a scumbass in that case, just "pretending nothing is happening.

2 harem or harem like shows i liked the mc:
kyoukai senjou no horizon and nyaruko
aoi toori aways have the balls! to say which he love horizon and will do anything for his love and while he is fun and sometimes a little perv, he is not over the top or is not "falling on girls pants by accident, he even while he is a little perv he not try to snif girls pants or assault then whenever he can, he is a very balanced mc and not soo cliche

and in nyaruko while mahiro is a little chickening he not really trying to deny or hidden which he actually like nyaruko he just scared off her over the top crazy antics, but he not a clueless or perv or try to avoid her at any cost, he trying to accept her on his own pace(which is differen from her).

for me that are 2 good exemple of mcs where they are not so over the top cliche as here, where we have a guy which is top objective in the serie is get a girlfriend, that is even the name of the anime, if i'm not wrong something about "getting girls at dungeon or something like that.

the plot, the tittle completly conflict with mc actions.

to be fair i like the rpg premisa and that was what make me started to read and what i wanted to watch and like others told maybe give a chance to see if i could get surprised here or something like that.
Old 2015-04-03, 18:44   Link #74
DragonKing0117
A Non-Awakened Prince

So, I didn't even realize this was airing today since the date wasn't revealed (at least to me) until the last second. Went and watched episode 1 and...

HYPE! HYPE! HYPE! Episode 1 was done perfectly! I loved it! I loved Hestia! I loved Aiz! Yoshitsugu Matsuoka's voice sounded perfect (at least to my ears) for Bell! And the animation was amazing (especially compared to some recent shows)!

10/10 Waiting for next week will be a pain, but I've got like 9 shows to go through that air this season before the next episode airs so I'm good.

Undefeated Bahamut Chronicle Wiki - If you've read and enjoyed the series, please help out! We now have a social group!!!
Cipher J's Blog|Fan and Original Fiction Database - A blog that I recently made to serve as a backup place for all my fan/original fiction. Feel free to check it out if you like.
DragonKing0117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-03, 18:51   Link #75
bakato

Loki sounds unusually childish. Ugh. Just looking at her hurts my eyes.
Old 2015-04-03, 19:03   Link #76
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enternal View Post
There is also an issue with patience. It's becoming more frequent where viewers expect the 1st episode to be "the theory of everything". I remember seeing a few years ago some people were complaining about plot holes in episode 2 and bashed the show like there is no tomorrow only for the supposed plot holes to be explained the very next episode. Patience is a virtue.
It's the instant gratification culture that's developed in recent years. Everyone expects immediate payoff, and don't want to go through the several episodes of actually digesting the plot and character development.

People need to give this show time. This is one of those shows where the character starts from the bottom and works his or her way up. If they're looking for an immediately badass character without dealing with the past that made him that way, go watch Hellsing. Perfect for those kinds of people that's can't stomach anyone less than their ideal figure of masculinity.

For this show, it'll take a while, but I assure you there will be much badassery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueknight78 View Post
2 harem or harem like shows i liked the mc:
kyoukai senjou no horizon and nyaruko
Here's a possible explanation for you. Bell has been potentially raised into the belief that it's the guy's role to go pick up girls. That's been established as the standard, and right way to find romance. The idea that a GIRL is trying to initiate the romance doesn't exist in his world view. That's why Hestia's affections don't reach him, because to him, "Guys hit on girls, girls don't hit on guys."

Additionally I think you're being too hung up on the rom-com cliches. The only cliche here in danmachi is Bell's obliviousness to the affections of other girls. Like the others have said, Hestia is a goddess and he's a mere mortal. Plus, like I said he's probably got the idea that it's guys who initiate and pursue the romance, not women. I think it's going too far to take one show of a romcom cliche and then pegging the whole series as a cliched romcom just because of that.

Last edited by Newprimus; 2015-04-03 at 19:14.
Newprimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-03, 19:06   Link #77
Draco Spirit

TBH this is episode one, so its pretty normal for people to go 'ahh, not my cup of tea'. Its when there still moaning 12 episodes down the line that I feel like going 'wtf, why are you here?'

Anyhow!

I've not read any of the original material, so judging the show as a stand alone I say it put a lot of effort into establishing the characters. The obvious exceptions being Loki's lot, who we only got a little outsiders window on.

My best guess is that next week we be learning about Aiz in a more detail, since this episode established Bell and Hestia personalities pretty well and Aiz seems important to the plot.
Draco Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-03, 19:23   Link #78
ChampDream
Alive

Episode 1 seem ok so far, I like the setting and Hestia is cute, Bell is ok, kinda curious on how he going to grow.
Old 2015-04-03, 20:00   Link #79
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I probably would never know if J.C.Staff's Index or Railgun or Shana Final team handled this series, but so far the episode is totally well done, although the amount of stuff introduced in the episode like the settings, the integrated RPG mechanics, and Bell's current struggles felt too much too fast. (Or was it because I watched it too early? ) That said, the thing with the "status window" printed out in paper using the goddess' magic is totally nifty.

So far, Bell doesn't seem like your dense lead, and some already assume that Hestia and Bell are a thing. I don't think so, though. Sure, he went red at the sight of Hestia's fresh tomatoes, but anyone would be, to be honest. Aside from that, Bell doesn't look at her like a potential lover because of their current relationship as a Goddess and a member of her Familia. That probably frustrates Hestia because she seems interested in Bell, though.

Anyway, I wonder why the maid of that pub suddenly gave Bell an invite. The lack of previous exposition makes it hard to pinpoint if the maid or someone else has his/her sights on Bell.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-03, 20:01   Link #80
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

So basically it's crossing Ken'ichi with Tower of Druaga? (Holy crap has it already been almost a decade since either show?)

Thoroughly impressed by this episode. With the resurgence of OP MC's in the recent years, it's a nice change of pace to have an underdog MC who has to start from scratch. I really like how they portrayed him; it was touching without being overdone. Definitely my favourite character so far, which is saying something, because as a moefag, I usually tend to favour female characters. (Can't say I'm particularly impressed by either heroine, though I'd take Bell's hyperactiveness over Kenki's stoicness.)

Production values seems to be off the roof as well, because while I love JC Staff as a studio, outstanding art/animation outside of Index isn't one of the reasons why I adore them. In fact, Shokugeki no Soma's art is what I usually expect of them, so if it wasn't for that series I would've questioned if they were abducted by aliens or something.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon crawler, dungeons, elves, fantasy, goddesses, gods, light novel adaptation