AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-01-27, 19:46   Link #1
lilitu93

Question Dividing .avi file into two files

What's the best software to use to divide an .avi file into two or more .avi files? I've got some files that are too big to fit on one CD, and I'd like to be able to split them in half so that I can burn them onto two CDs. I've never done any video editing before, but I'm comfortable learning new software, so that shouldn't be a problem.

At the moment, I don't want to do anything beyond just splitting files into smaller files, so I don't need a full video editing program (unless that's the best/easiest way to do it). Also, I have ffdshow installed and not individual codecs. Do I need to install the codec the .avi uses just to be able to edit into smaller files or is there some way I can do it with just ffdshow? I finally got ffdshow to work right on my system, so if I can avoid installing anything else other than an editing program, that would be best.

Thanks in advance for answering these newbie questions.
lilitu93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-27, 21:09   Link #2
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

VirtualDub.

[edit] Sorry, this post wasn't helpful... I was going to go delete it, but this board doesn't allow it.

Anyway, go to http://www.virtualdub.org/ to download for free.

Then, try of these guides:
http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/arch...virtualdub.cfm
http://www.emule-help.com/virtualdub.htm
Old 2004-01-28, 01:29   Link #3
Cruzz
Europeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilitu93
What's the best software to use to divide an .avi file into two or more .avi files? I've got some files that are too big to fit on one CD, and I'd like to be able to split them in half so that I can burn them onto two CDs. I've never done any video editing before, but I'm comfortable learning new software, so that shouldn't be a problem.

At the moment, I don't want to do anything beyond just splitting files into smaller files, so I don't need a full video editing program (unless that's the best/easiest way to do it). Also, I have ffdshow installed and not individual codecs. Do I need to install the codec the .avi uses just to be able to edit into smaller files or is there some way I can do it with just ffdshow? I finally got ffdshow to work right on my system, so if I can avoid installing anything else other than an editing program, that would be best.

Thanks in advance for answering these newbie questions.
Like Ashibaka said, Virtualdub (or VirtualDubMod) works just fine for splitting avis.

As for the codecs, you'll most likely want to install proper codecs before trying to mess around with vdub. However, for just cutting, I think you won't actually need to install codecs apart from ffdshow if you can cut the file blind (which is relatively easy, just check the frame where you want to cut from a media player and then go to the closest keyframe to that frame in vdub) as vdub won't show you the video without the codecs.
Cruzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-28, 07:54   Link #4
lilitu93

Thanks for the replies. I got the video divided just fine. It was showing up without installing any codecs, and it was easy to do with the tutorials that were linked to.
lilitu93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-06, 21:17   Link #5
tabasKo

Hello, the topic might be a bit old but i'm having the same problem, unfortunately for me, I can't seem to load my .AVI video with it, it shows me this error message :

"Couldn't locate decompressor for format 'dvsd' (unknown)

VirtualDub requires a Video for Windows (VFW) compatible codec to decompress video. DirectShow codecs, such as those used by Windows Media Player, are not suitable."

I need to seperate my AVI files into smaller ones, please help!
tabasKo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-07, 10:55   Link #6
subcool
Arienai Co-Founder

Send a message via ICQ to subcool Send a message via AIM to subcool
google for avisplitter =P
works fine too
subcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-07, 19:51   Link #7
jay3k
KYO

u can try "EO video"
jay3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-07, 20:07   Link #8
Lina Inverse
SL Aki fanclub president

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzz
Like Ashibaka said, Virtualdub (or VirtualDubMod) works just fine for splitting avis.
VirtulaDubMod hasn't been updated since a year now... looks like it's dead
Would be too bad, since it seemed quite promising..

If you cut avis (or other video files), do you need to decompress the file first to HD (requiring lots of HD space) and then recompress it to split it into parts, or is that not neccessary?
Lina Inverse is offline   Reply With Quote