AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Old 2007-04-09, 19:49   Link #641
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Finally watched the first episode. ^^;

Now this is what I call a "faithful" adaptation. It's practically the first part of the first volume in animation.
The OP is generating quite a fuss among fans everywhere. Leave it to Kyoani to impress their viewers with the best animation used for the most pointless purposes.

Lucky Channel (inspired from the net radio program) cracked me up. I was happy to see Akira again after her column got fired on Comptiq last year, but that was unexpected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
A: You've got to be f*ckin' kiddin' me!
A: (????) (sorry, these lines are beyond my ability to dicipher )
I got one line further
"You think I'm Cinderella or something?"
It's broken beyond that for me. ^^;

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
And yes: You couldn't pay me to translate this show ... going to be a big pain to convey all the puns and jokes to the viewers. Not to mention the sheer amount of dialogue is a lot. And god help us if they start using those dialects they used in the first 10 secs of the AVI lol...
There aren't THAT many otaku references. Although it's true that the first few seconds of the OP already introduced something only 20+ year old otakus will recognize, and the ED song is something only 30+ year olds are familiar with.
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-09, 20:19   Link #642
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
On another note somebody on ANN beat me to the part about the opening being a self-deprecating take on the Haruhi ending.

"In the opening sequence, the s' dance number and the title screen itself are obviously mocking the ending sequence of the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, another title animated by Kyoto Animation."
Why is it self-depreciating? Just because they're by the same studio, it's not fair game for parodies?

Not trying to start an argument (I almost didn't post this for that very reason), but I don't see how it's "self-depreciating."
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-09, 20:25   Link #643
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y View Post
Now this is what I call a "faithful" adaptation. It's practically the first part of the first volume in animation.

There aren't THAT many otaku references. Although it's true that the first few seconds of the OP already introduced something only 20+ year old otakus will recognize, and the ED song is something only 30+ year olds are familiar with.
Faithful...In the opinion of you manga readers, is it a good thing, or a bad thing, in the long run, assuming Kyoto Animation will be taking no liberties to change the pacing, or add in some visual humor during dialogue-heavy scenes. Episode 1 itself was good in it's own way (( or maybe I have Kyodain/Ulutura bias as a tokusatsu fan )), but at the same time, it's the type of show some people find it better if it stayed a 4-koma.

First few seconds...Haruhi? And the ED song..., I feel SO old for even recognizing it. I miss my childhood and I'm just 18 damnit! I've never seen all of Kyodain, but I've sure seen at least 3 episode or so. What's next? Voice-Lugger?

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-09, 20:28   Link #644
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Oh, man, I suck. I just ran 3 times in a row the OP again. This thing's friggin killing me.

Does anyone know when the OP Single is released? You just gotta love that synth bass.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-09, 20:28   Link #645
Level E
みwiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y View Post
I got one line further
"You think I'm Cinderella or something?"
It's broken beyond that for me. ^^;
冗談じゃないわよ、アイツ。あたし、シンデレラじゃないっつーの。ちょっと最近勉強中のパパは生活費を送っ てけれないから、私成金じゃないわよ

Is what I'm hearing.

Quote:
宇宙鉄人キョーダイン
Was this extremely popular in the '70s or something (Like Urutora-Man was in the '80s)? Or is there something about the really whacky song?

Ah, nm It's another Tokusatsu thingy. I guess that might be just it then.

Sushi-Y, care to share what the first few seconds was about? フーんっが! って何?
Level E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-09, 20:36   Link #646
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
Why is it self-depreciating? Just because they're by the same studio, it's not fair game for parodies?

Not trying to start an argument (I almost didn't post this for that very reason), but I don't see how it's "self-depreciating."
Actually, just to be anal, it is "self-deprecating" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-deprecation
By definition, making fun of or parodying oneself *is* self-deprecating. It isn't an insult to call it that.

Action actors like Schwarzenegger, Willis, Eastwood, and the late Jack Palance are on record as frequently poking at their own iconic imagery in a self-deprecatory way

I'd do this to Schoolhouse Rock but then you'd have to drive spikes in your ears.
Old 2007-04-09, 20:44   Link #647
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
Sushi-Y, care to share what the first few seconds was about? フーんっが! って何?
フーんっが (actually フンガ~!IMO) remembers me of Miu's infamous cry in the first episode of Ichigo Mashimaro's OVA series.

EDIT: I actually listened to it and it sounds like フーんが. So maybe there's no real connection at all.

Old 2007-04-09, 20:54   Link #648
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Actually, just to be anal, it is "self-deprecating" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-deprecation
By definition, making fun of or parodying oneself *is* self-deprecating. It isn't an insult to call it that.

Action actors like Schwarzenegger, Willis, Eastwood, and the late Jack Palance are on record as frequently poking at their own iconic imagery in a self-deprecatory way

I'd do this to Schoolhouse Rock but then you'd have to drive spikes in your ears.
... Oh, okay. I gotcha. It hit my ears as Lucky*Star was being cheap for imitating something from the same studio.

Sorry for being an idiot
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-09, 20:59   Link #649
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
I think the urge to say "self-deprecating" comes as a response to all of whose who are saying that KyoAni is merely being exploitive.

So KyoAni did one dance routine well. They decide to do another one. What's wrong with that? Why is it necessarily exploitive?

It's like the people who are saying that the show (or Kanon or Haruhi before it) is exploitive by being a collection of "moe" elements. Not only is it incorrect, it's utterly missing the point.

I don't mind criticisms. To an extent, I don't mind people lamenting that it's not what they expected. It does bug me, however, when people prattle on and discuss more constructive conversation to criticize a show baselessly. Why not at least grip about a show's ACTUAL faults instead of contrived ones?!
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-09, 21:30   Link #650
NaweG
Just some guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Which song? I'm thinking the one about VERB being all about action... but I suppose you could do something with Conjunction Junction...

IOW, I'm willing to take that chance
Old 2007-04-09, 21:56   Link #651
Level E
みwiki

hahaha

Found the reference
It's from the old anime 怪物くん (remake ver). YouTube, but I like this version better
Level E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-09, 22:02   Link #652
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
hahaha

Found the reference
It's from the old anime 怪物くん (remake ver). YouTube, but I like this version better
OMG!!!

I wonder how the hell do the producers come up with these crazy references...

Old 2007-04-09, 22:19   Link #653
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
I think the urge to say "self-deprecating" comes as a response to all of whose who are saying that KyoAni is merely being exploitive.

So KyoAni did one dance routine well. They decide to do another one. What's wrong with that? Why is it necessarily exploitive?

It's like the people who are saying that the show (or Kanon or Haruhi before it) is exploitive by being a collection of "moe" elements. Not only is it incorrect, it's utterly missing the point.

I don't mind criticisms. To an extent, I don't mind people lamenting that it's not what they expected. It does bug me, however, when people prattle on and discuss more constructive conversation to criticize a show baselessly. Why not at least grip about a show's ACTUAL faults instead of contrived ones?!
I see lots of posts calling X, Y, or Z a "ripoff" when the poster is really either misusing the word (see homage, parody) or they fail to grasp the difference (vocabulary challenged). Given the self-referential nature of a comic strip about the anime/manga industry and the fans of it --- it seems only natural that KyoAni would thumb its nose at itself.

I'm restraining myself from liking or hating the show by amusing myself trying to translate the manga until someone is able to produce a sub since I don't want to download 2 or 3 times per episode.
I suspect I'm going to like it simply because I enjoy the type of droll and subtle humor this type of strip provides.
Old 2007-04-09, 22:40   Link #654
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Two avatars I made.

I really, REALLY wanted to use the Miyuki avatar here on AS, but, sadly, I can't get it under the file size limit without chopping frames. I love it specifically because it's so fluid, and chopping it up would just hurt my soul. I may give it a shot later, but not now. Maybe with a cleaner source there will be less noise increasing the filesize (although I cleaned up most by hand, as it was).

Kotona's dance DOES reduce nicely, though, because it's so repetitive that it only took 10 frames.

It's amazing how they seem to move faster without the music.

I'll use the Kotona one for now, but I'm going to work hard to get the Miyuki avatar filesize down without losing that fluid motion.
Old 2007-04-09, 22:46   Link #655
QBnoYouko
Twilight Breaker

Send a message via MSN to QBnoYouko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
Two avatars I made.

I really, REALLY wanted to use the Miyuki avatar here on AS, but, sadly, I can't get it under the file size limit without chopping frames. I love it specifically because it's so fluid, and chopping it up would just hurt my soul. I may give it a shot later, but not now. Maybe with a cleaner source there will be less noise increasing the filesize (although I cleaned up most by hand, as it was).

Kotona's dance DOES reduce nicely, though, because it's so repetitive that it only took 10 frames.

It's amazing how they seem to move faster without the music.

I'll use the Kotona one for now, but I'm going to work hard to get the Miyuki avatar filesize down without losing that fluid motion.
LOL OMG, I love that Konata one! When I saw that I was thinking "WTF is she doing?!" I couldn't help but get amused and laugh out loud. Looks ridiculous, but funny too. And that Miyuki one definitely does have fluid motion, nice!
QBnoYouko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-09, 22:55   Link #656
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Oh Heavens!!

Take a look at this guys.
Old 2007-04-09, 23:04   Link #657
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
Oh Heavens!!

Take a look at this guys.
Ah, just when I think I'm going to have fits!

SleepingForest does speed-translations of the manga. Honestly, at several points I've been left wishing for the original to use for comparison, but I'm not going to complain about work some one is doing for free.

I hope my download speed increases so I'm not tempted to stay up to watch!
Old 2007-04-09, 23:10   Link #658
nadare

Send a message via MSN to nadare
Sleeping-forest is using the SOS-dan raws as the source. If you have them you only need to download the .srt(softsubs). rename either the raw or the softsub (both must have the same filenames)
nadare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-09, 23:17   Link #659
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
... Oh, okay. I gotcha. It hit my ears as Lucky*Star was being cheap for imitating something from the same studio.

Sorry for being an idiot
Hey, if you can't parody yourself, who can you parody?

CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-09, 23:31   Link #660
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

Send a message via ICQ to iamandragon
I'm sure many of us have seen the OP here.
Just taking an informal tally: Is there anyone who'd like to do the dance in the OP?
iamandragon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, comptiq, kadokawa, school life, seinen