AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier - Episode 22 Rating
Perfect 10 94 58.39%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 41 25.47%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 10 6.21%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 1.86%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 3.11%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.24%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 6 3.73%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-09-05, 18:27   Link #281
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Thatīs pretty much news to me, can anyone confirm this?
watch from 4:35 on the episode about how alto tells luca that before nana wakes up they will bring Ranka back and all will be well!
Old 2008-09-05, 18:57   Link #282
daimonth
Kohaku Law Firm

Anything other than a Sheryl and Alto ending would not make sense at this point, there were too much build up romantically for those two that anything else would just destroy the show.

Also I think some people are looking at the pity aspect too much. I have the impression that Alto havent realized fully why he felt so strongly seeing Sheryl in pain, however he will soon realize it. Sheryl is hesitant to take the relationship further seeing that they have no future, however at the same time she still want to be comforted by Alto. Hence we have that scene where Alto want to be Sheryls strength and Sheryl who want Alto to give her courage to continue singing.
Old 2008-09-05, 19:09   Link #283
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
watch from 4:35 on the episode about how alto tells luca that before nana wakes up they will bring Ranka back and all will be well!
The key element in this is that Alto talks about it as if it was a responsibility, rather than a man who should be visibly affected by the depths of Ranka's resigned confession. He was smiling at Luca as he did so, but is this the sign of a man who's emotionally troubled by a girl he just "lost" an episode ago?

Alto reacts to Sheryl. He was broken, distraught and most of all, raw with her in this episode. All the walls had crumbled down. That is the difference. Keep watching further.
Old 2008-09-05, 19:09   Link #284
Teletha

The whole pity aspect is stupid to begin with. Sheryl has barely ever been real or been seen as vulnerable to Alto at all and he finally saw her drop her act in front of him. It's not pity that made him act like he did. It would be different if he rejected her before and then when she's dying he decides to stay with her. That's pity.

I also agree Alto wasn't out to go get Ranka and Sheryl's illness stopped him. He said it more in a way that when Ranka gets back things will be better, or normal again. Not that he's desperate to go find her because he loves her. If he wanted to go after her he could have to start with.
Old 2008-09-05, 19:18   Link #285
TwilightHack
~ Madoka = Win ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisis View Post
Alto reacts to Sheryl. He was broken, distraught and most of all, raw with her in this episode. All the walls had crumbled down. That is the difference. Keep watching further.
Exactly. I don't understand how people can't see that?

in the shadows i lurk... but nevertheless there i am...
Old 2008-09-05, 19:31   Link #286
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalem View Post
Well, I'd prefer for Sheryl to be cured and Alto stays by her side. Just because that would prove to Ranka fans beyond doubt that he chose Sheryl over Ranka. If they continue it as it is and Alto does pick Sheryl but she doesn't get cured there will be fights until the end of the world over whether Alto picked her over pity or because he truly loves her. I want a definitive ending where there can be no doubts or arguments over who the real final pairing is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx626 View Post
Just finished watching it raw. Finallly, sheryl counter. Like others have expressed Ranka still has a shot at Alto, but it woudn't be the best pairing if they went that route. Just going to enjoy the ride while it last.
For the same reasons, I also want Alto and Sheryl to end together as a couple AND with good health. I would personally hate getting into such argument about pity vs. true love if Sheryl is not cured.

As I repeat again: I hate when things (whatever they are) are going down to the wire. That's why I was expecting this episode to confirm Alto x Sheryl at 100% and kill all hopes for Ranka fans: I wanted that stunning hit of a scene to put Ranka's chances at NIL. In my book, such moment with such result should have been mandatory before anybody can focus for the final battle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Oh, by the way, just a note:

Macross main pairings never confess to each other with words like "I love you" or something similar. The closest thing they will ever do is 1. through action (ie. kiss) 2. or say stuff like "I will stay by your side" "I have decided to be with you"... etc.

- Tak
Why would they do that? I wonder sometimes why it's so tough to go straight to the point, give a clear conclusion with the 3 words and close down all doors to all other possibilities.
Old 2008-09-05, 19:34   Link #287
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Are you people still arguing about Sheryl and Ranka? It is clear that Alto has a possibility ends up with 2 dead singing diva soon. But I am sure too that Luca will discover some cure and happy ending ensues. Perhaps.

The director is playing a cruel game of roasting fan's expectation for both female divas. Good job.

Personally I am happy to see Grace to be final boss super baddie ace pilot. Hehehheh seeing her in tight skin suit makes me really happy. Somehow I knew she will be sacrificed to the pineapple salad gods in the end but seeing her as VF pilot makes me smile. She will go out with a bang as a pilot not office lady dowager empress thingy.
Old 2008-09-05, 19:35   Link #288
Mughi
Wordy b@stard

Alto was definitely in there with feeling for Sheryl, but I've rewatched that supposed "kiss" and I feel like we're being rolled again. It LOOKED like the lead in to a smooch, but knowing how this series has duped us before, we could start the next eps with the reverse angle camera just showing them putting their temples together and sighing.... this would typically be followed by a sudden interruption by a warning claxon....

I'm not convinced we saw what we "saw". It'll be interesting next week for SURE!
Old 2008-09-05, 19:36   Link #289
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
Why would they do that? I wonder sometimes why it's so tough to go straight to the point, give a clear conclusion with the 3 words and close down all doors to all other possibilities.
Its probably just Kawamori's way of dissing with cliched phrases

Because the last time such confession was made, the main guy ditched the girl he was dating (and one who he said those words to) and went for his officer instead

Or, consider Roy Focker, the one person whom he confessed to died in his arms.

Anyway, it would appear no happy end exist post-confession. XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mughi View Post
I'm not convinced we saw what we "saw". It'll be interesting next week for SURE!
If you watch the HQ, it was more than clear that they kissed, and that something else was implied also.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2008-09-05, 19:47   Link #290
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisis View Post
The key element in this is that Alto talks about it as if it was a responsibility, rather than a man who should be visibly affected by the depths of Ranka's resigned confession.
He was trying to cheer luca up, thus why he smiled at him. Regardless of that, BEFORE he knew about sheryl's illness, he wanted to go and get Ranka back. He had the opportunity to do it with the SMS crew, but he decided to stay behind because he already promised to stay with sheryl.
Regardless of WHATEVER motives he had to bring Ranka back (duty, love, revange etc etc), his position changed after he found out about the illness. If Klan had not told him about the illness, he would have joined the SMS.
Old 2008-09-05, 19:48   Link #291
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
If you watch the HQ, it was more than clear that they kissed, and that something else was implied also.

- Tak
The kiss was pretty clear, the sex... well, possible. Very subtly implied.
Old 2008-09-05, 19:53   Link #292
Kirarakim

Don't you people ever get tired of the Ranka bashing? Seriously every time I come here to see what people thought of the episode there is Sheryl/Alto is so obvious because Ranka is immature, doesn't care about anyone but herself, sides with the Vajra over humanity, and all the other nonsense.

Can't you guys defend your ship without bashing Ranka.? You do realize that both Sheryl & Ranka are the heroines of the series. Just because one does not get the guy does not mean there is something wrong with them it just means the relationship was not meant to be.

And before anyone accuses me of being a blind Ranka fan I admit I do like Ranka but then I also love Sheryl. In fact if I had my way the final pairing would be Ranka/Sheryl.

However I am entirely convinced the final paring will be Sheryl/Alto but I can come to that conclusion without thinking Ranka is a horrible awful character.
Old 2008-09-05, 20:00   Link #293
TwilightHack
~ Madoka = Win ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Can't you guys defend your ship without bashing Ranka.?
You're generalizing Alto x Sheryl shipping as a whole. Not all of us are as you've described in your post (Ranka bashing).

Besides, most of the time we're arguing not about Ranka herself but with the Ranka fans. You know, the ones who try to belittle important scenes that sway towards a particular pairing... or try to use their own scenes out of context. It's all part of the shipping wars.

In any case, truth hurts, deal with it. Especially when it comes to Ranka unfortunately.

Old 2008-09-05, 20:03   Link #294
golthin

Quote:
However I am entirely convinced the final paring will be Sheryl/Alto but I can come to that conclusion without thinking Ranka is a horrible awful character.
I think that the Sheryl's followers are more fanatic than the Ranka followers even though they basically have their pairing in the bag. It was pretty much over for Ranka when she left and she knew it herself. I don't think Ranka has plans to ever return to Frontier. Episode 22 was the final strike and it almost gurantees a sheryl win. Now, we are watching to see if sheryl is saved or not from her illness.
Old 2008-09-05, 20:06   Link #295
magnuskn

Quote:
Don't you people ever get tired of the Ranka bashing? Seriously every time I come here to see what people thought of the episode there is Sheryl/Alto is so obvious because Ranka is immature, doesn't care about anyone but herself, sides with the Vajra over humanity, and all the other nonsense.

Can't you guys defend your ship without bashing Ranka.? You do realize that both Sheryl & Ranka are the heroines of the series. Just because one does not get the guy does not mean there is something wrong with them it just means the relationship was not meant to be.

And before anyone accuses me of being a blind Ranka fan I admit I do like Ranka but then I also love Sheryl. In fact if I had my way the final pairing would be Ranka/Sheryl.

I love how we are in a discussion about how the scene between Sheryl and Alto went, and suddenly someone complains about Ranka bashing, without any bearing on the actual discussion.

But not to disappoint you, if Ranka decides to stay with the Vajra to become their cuddle-queen, Iīd be fine by this point, as long as she comes back one time to cure Sheryl, make shish-kabop out of Leon and takes all the Vajra in the vicinity with her. She really has lost lots of sympathy from me, which of course could partly be projection because of some of her fans. But lets just say ( again ) that in ep 20 and 21 she didnīt had her finest hour.

In any case, outside of her necessity as a plot device to save Sheryl and Frontier, her fate has become irrelevant to me.

Now, back to the important stuff... after re-watching the relevant scene in 22, I am leaning more towards the "sexual intercourse" scenario, the whole end of the scene had a very peculiar feel to it. Also, we have no indication of how much time passed, when Alto watched the message on his phone.

Preparations for the take-off of Quarter should have taken up some time, and there is no clear indication in what time relation the scene with Ranka and Brera took place, compared to the end of the scene with Sheryl and Alto and Altos actual reading of the text message.
Old 2008-09-05, 20:08   Link #296
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
I think that the Sheryl's followers are more fanatic than the Ranka followers even though they basically have their pairing in the bag. It was pretty much over for Ranka when she left and she knew it herself.
I was just telling one of my partners in crime, westlo, before that half of this thread reminded me of a livejournal thread. Not that I'm accusing anyone of anything or saying it's wrong, it just really gave me strong vibes.
Old 2008-09-05, 20:09   Link #297
Westlo
Lets be reality

^ Oh I'm moved up from a slave to a partner in crime, I'm honored! And I agree with what you said.

Quote:
I think that the Sheryl's followers are more fanatic than the Ranka followers even though they basically have their pairing in the bag.
No Ranka fans are just as bad as us, it's just that we have larger numbers especially on this site. Read the comments here to see what I mean.

http://randomc.animeblogger.net/2008...ents/#comments
Old 2008-09-05, 20:10   Link #298
TwilightHack
~ Madoka = Win ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Now, back to the important stuff... after re-watching the relevant scene in 22, I am leaning more towards the "sexual intercourse" scenario, the whole end of the scene had a very peculiar feel to it. Also, we have no indication of how much time passed, when Alto watched the message on his phone.

Preparations for the take-off of Quarter should have taken up some time, and there is no clear indication in what time relation the scene with Ranka and Brera took place, compared to the end of the scene with Sheryl and Alto and Altos actual reading of the text message.
I also rewatched the scene and as much as I didn't want to believe it... the line just before the camera pan up, the pan up itself, and then the movement between Sheryl and Alto just before they left the picture... it was just too convenient.

Quote:
I think that the Sheryl's followers are more fanatic than the Ranka followers even though they basically have their pairing in the bag. It was pretty much over for Ranka when she left and she knew it herself. I don't think Ranka has plans to ever return to Frontier. Episode 22 was the final strike and it almost gurantees a sheryl win. Now, we are watching to see if sheryl is saved or not from her illness.
It just seems that way because there are more Sheryl supporters here than there are Ranka supporters... but let me say that some Ranka shippers are far more fanatic than most intense Sheryl shippers I've seen. And that's saying something.

Old 2008-09-05, 20:10   Link #299
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightHack View Post
You're generalizing Alto x Sheryl shipping as a whole. Not all of us are as you've described in your post (Ranka bashing).

Besides, most of the time we're arguing not about Ranka herself but with the Ranka fans. You know, the ones who try to belittle important scenes that sway towards a particular pairing... or try to use their own scenes out of context. It's all part of the shipping wars.

In any case, truth hurts, deal with it. Especially when it comes to Ranka unfortunately.

Translation: "We don't bash Ranka....but she really is an immature brat." Thanks for proving my point.

I am not saying it is wrong to defend your ship and point out reasons why Alto/Sheryl makes more sense. Hey it makes more sense to me. But you can do this without bashing Ranka.

Edit: Westlo, I think Ranka fans that bash Sheryl are just as bad. But I am replying here because I am a member here and this is what I see.
Old 2008-09-05, 20:14   Link #300
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Edit: Westlo, I think Ranka fans that bash Sheryl are just as bad. But I am replying here because I am a member here and this is what I see.
Unfortunately, when comparing shipping between SxA and RxA, it is inevitable to raise Ranka's aspect of the shipping. Thus there are points we raise about Ranka as to why her shipping will not be successful compared to Sheryl's shipping.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Closed Thread