AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2014-10-15, 01:23   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 764 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Spoiler summary is out, courtesy of AP's Redon and Aohige:

-Chapter title is "White Monster". No ministory this week since we have a color splash page instead.

-Corazon tells Law he was always able to talk, and that Doflamingo and the rest merely think that he's a mute. Law calls him out on his deception, but Cora literally "silences" Law..... by creating a sound-proof barrier around them. He has the abilities of the Nagi Nagi no Mi, making him a "silence man". Interestingly, while Corazon's muteness was an act, his clumsiness isn't. He reveals that his objective is to stop Doflamingo's madness, and can't understand why his brother became the monster he is. He then has a brief flashback to last chapter's scene where his family is tortured by the angry mob, and Doflamingo yells that he'll survive and kill the commoners in revenge......

-According to Corazon, the only people who are aware of Dofla's true nature are the crew's executive officers, including himself. However, that ALSO includes the first generation Corazon of the crew..... Vergo. It seems Vergo's mission at the time was unknown to the family. He then tells Law to not become a monster like Dofla and run away, but the boy refuses. Corazon then proceeds to explain that the clan of "D" that Law belongs to had produced many powerful, yet notorious people throughout history, and that they're widely feared by the world nobles (even being known as the "enemies of god"). They especially fear the day when the D clan brings forth a storm to the world again.....

-The young Law has trouble comprehending Corazon's speech, and asks what can even be done when he'll be alive for just one more year, anyway. Cora tries convincing him to leave the crew and seek treatment, but once again the boy refuses. In fact, he's going to squeal everything to Doflamingo! Cora tries to stop him, but two years of training with the family ensures Law's escape. However, when Corazon returns, expecting punishment..... all he gets is Doflamingo telling him that they need to escape from VA Tsuru! Looks like Law kept quiet as repayment for Cora keeping quiet on the assassination attempt from two years ago....

-Corazon takes Law and splits from the crew, using finding a cure for Law's illness for an excuse. He's eventually contacted by Sengoku, and tells him he'll be on leave from the mission for a bit. Yes, Donquixote Rosinante (Corazon's REAL name) is an undercover Marine Commander! Apparently, the reason he was beating up kids was to dissuade them from joining Dofla's crew. After the call, we see a younger Vergo, asking Sengoku to be transferred to G5....

-Over the next six months, Rosinante tries to find a doctor who will treat Law, but they get refused by all of them, who refer to the boy as a "white monster". One night, Law overhears Rosi questioning why he's even going through so much trouble for a kid like him. He says that he doesn't even care about the D thing.... he just pities Law, is all. He then spends the night crying. The next morning, Law starts referring to his savior as "Cora-san". However, as things start to get better between the two, Rosinante receives a call from Doflamingo......

My goodness gracious, this chapter has a CRAP-TON of info! Gonna take me a bit of time to process it all, methinks.....

Last edited by marvelB; 2014-10-16 at 05:51.
Old 2014-10-15, 14:01   Link #2
zetsubo666

The chapter is not out yet but I would like to share a theory of mine I came up with regarding this flashback:

This is probably going to sound a bit far-fetched, since this is just a theory I came up with regarding the current flashback with Law and Doflamingo.

I as well as many others have been wondering why Doflamingo killed his younger brother Rocinante because in the current flashback it clearly shows he has a great deal of respect for him. So I've been thinking that maybe Rocinante was the previous user of the Ope Ope no Mi and Doflamingo possibly forced him to use the "Eternal Youth" operation on someone else or maybe Rocinante used it of his own free will. As they revealed a few chapters ago in exchange of the user's life you can grant someone else "Eternal Youth".

Now the question here is who was given this operation? Because it can't of been Law as he has clearly aged since. The answer could only be the only other character that we know so far that already has Eternal Youth which is Sugar. I don't believe her Devil Fruit stopped her aging it was the "Eternal Youth" operation from the Ope Ope no Mi that did. Not only that but the time Sugar obtained her Hobi Hobi no Mi, roughly matches the time when Rocinate died (12-13 years ago). I think this is more than just a coincidence.

However that leaves the question on who Sugar is and why either Doflamingo or Rocinante would go so far as to give her such an operation when she wasn't even a crew member yet (From what we've seen of the flashback so far). Now this part is where my theory becomes far-fetched but what if Sugar is Doflamingo's daughter? This is quite possible since he is 41 years old and she is only 22 years old so he is old enough to be her father. Not only that but if you think currently Doflamingo is the "king" of DressRosa and that Sugar wears a crown this could hint she is the "princess". This would also explain why (if Sugar did have the operation) Doflamingo made Rocinante operate on her in order to save his daughter from something.

I think the last part is pretty far-fetched but I still think its likely Sugar had been given the "Eternal Youth" operation otherwise why would Oda mention something like this if no one has had it done on them, its a Chekov's Gun trope.
Old 2014-10-15, 23:00   Link #3
marvelB

Put up a small spoiler summary for now. More detailed info should follow quite soon....
Old 2014-10-16, 02:31   Link #4
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

T has revealed more, marvel.

Roci is a marine spy, he reports to Sengoku, and has been plotting to stop Doflamingo!
Old 2014-10-16, 02:56   Link #5
marvelB

^Yes, VERY fascinating info! So Vergo acted as a mole for Dofla while Corazon acted as a mole for the marines..... wow, this just gets deeper and deeper.....
Old 2014-10-16, 05:56   Link #6
marvelB

Okay, updated with the full summary now that Aohige did his thing over at AP. As you can see from the multiple paragraphs, this chapter is PACKED with info. And here's one more bonus tidbit: Oda had already revealed Corazon to us prior to this arc! Remember that marine color spread from chapter 691 a couple years back (the one that promoted Film Z)? Well, turns out that Oda had hidden his face there at the time (his face is between Zoro and Nami, for those interested in checking out the full spread themselves):

^Aohige even noted that he looks just like the hidden face from the spread this very chapter when he cleaned off the makeup! So yep, there goes that masterful Oda foreshadowing once again!
Old 2014-10-16, 06:11   Link #7
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

For the third chapter in a row, Oda's done it again. This may be the most important flashback we've seen since Robin's. The story that's being weaved here is incredible.

Oda = Master Foreshadower
Old 2014-10-16, 06:21   Link #8
foxbox360
New Age Badass

Its official!!! D stands for demon since they are enemy's of God.
Old 2014-10-16, 06:48   Link #9
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxbox360 View Post
Its official!!! D stands for demon since they are enemy's of God.

That might be how the World Nobles would interpret it, yeah. I doubt that's the true meaning, though.

Anyways, a better look at Rosinante's face without makeup:

^Yep, certainly does share some resemblance with the earlier posted pic. And here's something else amusing: His reaction to Law calling him Cora-san:

^Yet another pseudo-Eneru shock face! Actually, this chapter had a lot of neat little stuff. In particular, I loved Sengoku's den den mushi (it has an afro!), and I found it amusing that Dofla's den den looks all happy and friendly at the end of the chapter, while you see the evil sinister face looming in the background, lol. Great chapter, this!
Old 2014-10-16, 07:43   Link #10
james0246

When I saw Roci walking through the snow on a mountainside, I hoped for a brief moment that Hiluluk or Kureha may appear to save Law. Oh well, I guess that would have been a little too simplistic.
Old 2014-10-16, 08:08   Link #11
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Roci was a marine spy? I guess that explains why Doflamingo kills him... From Dofla's perspective, it's easy to look at what Roci was doing as a unforgivable betrayal.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2014-10-16, 08:25   Link #12
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

These info-packed chapters have been really putting stress on me as I try to do these spoiler summaries at work.
No joke, past few weeks have been really harsh. I write the spoilers in both English and Japanese (for 2ch) at the same time, in busiest time of my day, and it cuts like an hour into it... some weeks I simply can't.

Anyways... I can't be the only one feeling these past few chapters of flashbacks have absolutely been the best chapters in this entire arc. Heck entire last three arcs.
Old 2014-10-16, 08:32   Link #13
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
These info-packed chapters have been really putting stress on me as I try to do these spoiler summaries at work.
No joke, past few weeks have been really harsh. I write the spoilers in both English and Japanese (for 2ch) at the same time, in busiest time of my day, and it cuts like an hour into it... some weeks I simply can't.

Anyways... I can't be the only one feeling these past few chapters of flashbacks have absolutely been the best chapters in this entire arc. Heck entire last three arcs.
You're right. I certainly haven't felt this strongly about one piece since right after the timeskip occurred. Though there have been spot moments and chapters throughout the arcs which carried the same brilliance.
Old 2014-10-16, 08:33   Link #14
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

D = Demon, Devil... I see

anyway, this chapter is packed with betrayal.... it is everywhere..
poor Law... poor Corazon as well
Doflamingo seems always one step ahead

seems like Baby 5 has a crush on Law
Old 2014-10-16, 08:34   Link #15
zetsubo666

lol so much for that theory since Rocinante had a different devil fruit xD.

Its starting to make more sense now why Doflamingo killed his brother as for him his actions can be considered as a "betrayal" to him.

Interesting to know more about the meaning of D. It looks like these D people might be the prime reason why the void century is kept quiet as they have something to do with it.

Vergo finally makes his appearance, I wonder if Monet and Sugar will appear at some point as well and if there's a specific reason as to why these two haven't appeared yet. Or if its just them not joining the crew yet and that's all there is to it.
Old 2014-10-16, 08:49   Link #16
ri0

aohige, thank you very much for your efforts! Personally, I don't read spoilers but I'm glad for the people, that wait for them
Regarding this chapter I have a question for you. From the way Corazon talked about Vergo in the translation it seemed, that even he didn't know, what Vergo was doing. If that was true, this could turn out to be an hommage to Infernal Affairs, where Vergo and Cora try to find out, who the informant of the other side is But as we already know, that Rosinante will die, I guess Vergo simply discovers that he is a marine spy.

I really enjoyed these last chapters. Finally the D is explained a little bit more.

Someone else was complaining about the many Ds that appear in OP. I wouldn't be surprised if we even get so see a couple of hundred Ds, when their background is explained in a flashback.

Last edited by ri0; 2014-10-16 at 13:31.
Old 2014-10-16, 09:16   Link #17
golgo13

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
The last few chapters have been pretty jaw dropping. Aohige, you are a big part of the online one piece community. From my side just wanna let you know it's always pleasure to read your summaries and insight.

Was not expecting rosinante to be against his own brother and working with the marines. This isn't quite tit for tat "infernal affairs" style strategy, rather it looks like rosinante reached out to the marines and offered his assistance. The revelation that D's are the enemies of the CD's was expected, really love hearing about this "fated clan"..

It looks more and more like Law is going to be curing himself once he gets a hold of the Ope Ope fruit. Perhaps Rosinante steals it for Law and in the meely its revealed he has been spying and DD kills him...

Last edited by golgo13; 2014-10-16 at 09:17. Reason: sp
Old 2014-10-16, 10:03   Link #18
ronin myael
lost ronin

My my, this is one juicy chapter! The Clan of D. So where did this clan come from, I wonder? If the Celestial Dragons are descendants of the founders of the World Government who apparently were the winners of the last World War, then what of the D clan? Are they the descendants of the people whose kingdom was mentioned in the poneglyphs?

Corazon a marine commander? Now that I didn't see coming at all! I assumed he didn't approve of his brother's plans but I never thought of him as a marine.
Old 2014-10-16, 10:07   Link #19
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ri0 View Post
aohige, thank you very much for your efforts! Personally, I don't read spoilers but I'm glad for the people, that wait for them
Regarding this chapter I have a question for you. From the way Corazon talked about Vergo in the translation it seemed, that even he didn't know, what Vergo was doing. If that was true, this could turn out to be an hommage to Infernal Affairs, where Vergo and Cora try to find out, who the informant of the other side is But as we already know, that Rocinante will die, I guess Vergo simply discovers that he is a marine spy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgo13 View Post
The last few chapters have been pretty jaw dropping. Aohige, you are a big part of the online one piece community. From my side just wanna let you know it's always pleasure to read your summaries and insight.
Thanks!
As for possible reference to Infernal Affairs, this actually came up in the Japanese thread as well. I'm not familiar with the film, but there are many who feels the same way.
And yes, Rossy seems to be completely unaware of what Vergo is doing, or even that he has infiltrated the marines. That'll surely be the cause of his downfall..
Old 2014-10-16, 10:55   Link #20
golgo13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin myael View Post
Corazon a marine commander? Now that I didn't see coming at all! I assumed he didn't approve of his brother's plans but I never thought of him as a marine.
I think he is likely not a Marine, but working with the Marines. He knows DD is an odd ball evil person and feels the marines (whom are the protectors of CDs, World Government and WG territories) are the only ones that can help expunge DD.

I guess Corazon wants Law to be away from DD because he fears that DD will kill him if he finds out he is a D? This may also be why Corazon has taken Law on a whirlwind find the cure hospital trip it keeps law away from DD, builds relationship between the two, helps Law see the light and perhaps stop wanting to kill ppl.
Closed Thread