AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2018-02-01, 19:12   Link #321
LostSome

Disgaea 5 has a demo. It's only chapter 1 and you won't touch things like Item World, but you have the basics.

But if you like leveling and high stat numbers, Disgaea gets crazy with them after finishing the story.
LostSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-01, 20:11   Link #322
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Sent my unit in for repairs. HOPEFULLY it won't require a reformat.
MeoTwister5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-02, 01:50   Link #323
zeross87

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSome View Post
Disgaea 5 has a demo. It's only chapter 1 and you won't touch things like Item World, but you have the basics.

But if you like leveling and high stat numbers, Disgaea gets crazy with them after finishing the story.
wow didn't thought of checking the demo (those are so rare those days) thanks ! there is lost sphere there too that seem good, i'll dl everything and test them out!
zeross87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-02, 07:15   Link #324
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Sent my unit in for repairs. HOPEFULLY it won't require a reformat.
Dude. Why doesn't Nintendo have cloud saves in 2018? Why? WHY?!?!?
That baffles me...

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-02, 20:51   Link #325
Keila

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
That baffles me...
Cost. Cloud saves aren't exactly something cheap to maintain and operate (especially if developers make save files 5GB in size)
Old 2018-02-03, 04:31   Link #326
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keila View Post
Cost. Cloud saves aren't exactly something cheap to maintain and operate (especially if developers make save files 5GB in size)
That doesn’t fly. They’re not exactly short on cash, are they?
Any problem you have on your console, and... KAPUT! Every single save file, for every single game you ever owned... is gone. That’ll never be okay. Never.

And what Switch game has save files over 5GB? I sure can’t remember any of mine that fit that bill... Not even many PS4 games do, either.

Old 2018-02-03, 07:24   Link #327
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

This isn't just Nintendo though. You have to be PSN+ to have your save data on their cloud servers, although Microsoft offer such service for free.
As long the paid online service isn't available, it is unlikely a cloud service for save files would be available.
Old 2018-02-03, 07:41   Link #328
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

You could copy DS data to a PC if you wanted to. Would have been nice to have that option with the Switch.

But with the new... uh... paid service coming up in September maybe we'll get cloud service finally.
Old 2018-02-03, 12:34   Link #329
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
This isn't just Nintendo though. You have to be PSN+ to have your save data on their cloud servers, although Microsoft offer such service for free.
As long the paid online service isn't available, it is unlikely a cloud service for save files would be available.
My point is: paid or free, both of those companies offer the option. Nintendo doesn't.
It's baffling, really. Then, when the worse case happens, you send your console for repairs (like, say, it stopped connecting to the dock, for example), and you get it back with all your save files GONE, as it just happened to a somewhat public figure, like Brian Altano, from IGN: LINK

It's mind-boggling, to me.

Old 2018-02-03, 12:56   Link #330
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

I'm not saying it is normal. I'm saying you can't expect the feature yet, that's all. It isn't like that missing feature can magically pop like that when the console doesn't really have online feature properly established.
If Nintendo can't implement their intended online feature and had to postpone that for a year, I definitely wouldn't want to see the cloud system to be hastly implemented, especially considering the huge userbase.
Old 2018-02-03, 15:08   Link #331
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
That baffles me...
Because it's not really a problem for most of the userbase. It's a perk, not a requirement. Losing saves sucks, but we know Nintendo is working to implement it (and the rest of their revamped networking service) later this year.

The bigger issue was the customer service, who told him his save data would be fine, so he didn't back it up. He should have anyway, as a precaution, but he trusted the rep and sent his system in. When the techs got it, they stated the issue had caused the data to be too corrupted and therefore they just wiped the system. How true that is, we'll never know.

The lesson here is to backup information you're afraid to lose before you send it off to people who won't be held responsible for losing it. Trusting the services to do their job, including Cloud services, is like putting all your eggs in one basket and hoping for the best.
Old 2018-02-03, 16:36   Link #332
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
I'm not saying it is normal. I'm saying you can't expect the feature yet, that's all. It isn't like that missing feature can magically pop like that when the console doesn't really have online feature properly established.
If Nintendo can't implement their intended online feature and had to postpone that for a year, I definitely wouldn't want to see the cloud system to be hastly implemented, especially considering the huge userbase.
It's like how the PS4 updating and download system is anaemic and far slower than it could have been, and Sony can't fix it because it is baked into the PS4 hardware.

Whatever online problem Nintendo has, might not be easily fixed via updates only. It might be too late and they would have to wait for a new hardware revision.
Old 2018-02-03, 20:36   Link #333
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Because it's not really a problem for most of the userbase. It's a perk, not a requirement. Losing saves sucks, but we know Nintendo is working to implement it (and the rest of their revamped networking service) later this year.

The bigger issue was the customer service, who told him his save data would be fine, so he didn't back it up. He should have anyway, as a precaution, but he trusted the rep and sent his system in. When the techs got it, they stated the issue had caused the data to be too corrupted and therefore they just wiped the system. How true that is, we'll never know.

The lesson here is to backup information you're afraid to lose before you send it off to people who won't be held responsible for losing it. Trusting the services to do their job, including Cloud services, is like putting all your eggs in one basket and hoping for the best.
The problem is that for the Switch so far, the only way to back up your save data was transferring your account to another Switch, which itself presupposes that your Switch was working in the first place to do said transfer. The transfer itself is very inconvenient because it means you can't use the previous Switch unless you reactivate it.

This is the only means of back up, and I don't exactly have another Switch lying around. It's also inconvenient as a means of precautionary backup.
Old 2018-02-04, 03:31   Link #334
Tallis

Quote:
The problem is that for the Switch so far, the only way to back up your save data was transferring your account to another Switch, which itself presupposes that your Switch was working in the first place to do said transfer. The transfer itself is very inconvenient because it means you can't use the previous Switch unless you reactivate it.

This is the only means of back up, and I don't exactly have another Switch lying around. It's also inconvenient as a means of precautionary backup.
It's not even a backup though, the transfer ability only moves the selected profile and its save game data to another Switch, then once it's been moved to the other Switch it's deleted from the original Switch. Nintendo only allows one instance of the data to exist.
Tallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-04, 07:43   Link #335
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:

I'm not defending Nintendo on this. I'm just saying that the reason you don't see outcry for stuff like cloud saves is because most people don't have problems with their save files. It sucks for the journalist, but data loss is just something you have to be prepared for even under the best circumstances. On the bright side, Nintendo is building new network services and among them is cloud saving, which should be coming this year. Too late for him, but hopefully not for others.
Old 2018-02-04, 12:35   Link #336
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Yeah, how the hell can we backup our files without another console, huh? Nintendo, please, it’s 2018, already!
And just because “most people” don’t have a problem is not really a cause for celebration, is it?

Old 2018-02-04, 13:08   Link #337
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

It's a helluva lot better than the inverse...
Old 2018-02-05, 06:13   Link #338
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
It's a helluva lot better than the inverse...
No, mate, it's only a good thing until it happens to you. Then, it sure as hell is not, anymore.
But, hey, Nintendo sure seems to get more of a pass, for some things, doesn't it? IMHO, anyway.

Oh, well, let's see how this online thing shakes up, come september, anyway.

Last edited by BetoJR; 2018-02-05 at 06:46.
Old 2018-02-05, 06:15   Link #339
zeross87

Rumors about the n-sane trilogie coming on switch this year. I so hope they’re true !
zeross87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-05, 20:06   Link #340
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
No, mate, it's only a good thing until it happens to you. Then, it sure as hell is not, anymore.
But, hey, Nintendo sure seems to get more of a pass, for some things, doesn't it? IMHO, anyway.

Oh, well, let's see how this online thing shakes up, come september, anyway.
Just kinda sidestepping my point there. Even if it happens to me... it's still better than the inverse.