AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-12-02, 06:06   Link #2081
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I just brought that up because the amount of people that hate on Touya because he's doing such a thing, when it's not even his 100% fault. Both are to blame for what's happened.

Could you honestly blame them though? Touya's one of the more infuriating leads in recent memory precisely because of his wishy-washy and indecisive nature. The less-than stable female cast don't really help.

I do realize it's partly due to cross-medium adaptation (from Eroge to anime), but I suppose he's a little less infuriating when you're playing through his viewpoint (and we can't forget that the majority of White Album's player base are male). Why dwell on the why's (and how the protagonist is a douche with serious issues) when you're really after the EV images?

*groans* It's going to be a frustrating few episodes, I'm sure. I really hope it all does NOT end well though. A happy ending would feel like a cop-out at this point.
Old 2009-12-02, 08:09   Link #2082
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by faiz blaster View Post
So, I take it that is not just me who is making parallels between Touya and Makoto of School Days....
Its kind of impossible not to compare the two. Although I wish I never watched School Days...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I just brought that up because the amount of people that hate on Touya because he's doing such a thing, when it's not even his 100% fault. Both are to blame for what's happened.
This is what's so great about this series, and I've been saying it all along. There is plenty for each side to discuss and plenty for them to cite their opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Could you honestly blame them though? Touya's one of the more infuriating leads in recent memory precisely because of his wishy-washy and indecisive nature. The less-than stable female cast don't really help.

I do realize it's partly due to cross-medium adaptation (from Eroge to anime), but I suppose he's a little less infuriating when you're playing through his viewpoint (and we can't forget that the majority of White Album's player base are male). Why dwell on the why's (and how the protagonist is a douche with serious issues) when you're really after the EV images?

*groans* It's going to be a frustrating few episodes, I'm sure. I really hope it all does NOT end well though. A happy ending would feel like a cop-out at this point.
I was thinking that too, the nature of the source material doesn't help the situation.

I wish he had hopped on that bike after walking out of the cabin, it would have been better.

As for the ending, I don't know what to think.

Just don't tell us anything about the game!
Old 2009-12-02, 13:34   Link #2083
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Well actually, it was pointed out back when the anime first started being released that Touya was one of the least-liked protagonists in the genre, so it seems like the anime is remaining true to the game in that regard. I don't really think it's fair to say that the game players were tolerating it to get the CGs, or else the game wouldn't have had that reputation. (Well, I should say, the entire idea of reading through an entire long novel just to get a few CGs seems entirely foreign to me as well; it sounds like a poorly-conceived stereotype, but I guess I can't say that it might not be true for some.)
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-02, 13:59   Link #2084
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
...I wish he had hopped on that bike after walking out of the cabin, it would have been better....
Being a fan of Haruka, I'm actually glad he gave in to her. It's what she wanted. Now I'm eager to see her and judge whether it cured her of her addiction to him or made it stronger. And also to see whether his attitude toward her changes.

I like Mana, too, but I'm not expecting the anime to include her in the list, whatever happened in the game.

I don't like Touya, but he's nowhere near as bad as Tamaru. Touya is just weak, not evil. He is not trying to hurt people.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-02, 14:38   Link #2085
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
(Well, I should say, the entire idea of reading through an entire long novel just to get a few CGs seems entirely foreign to me as well; it sounds like a poorly-conceived stereotype, but I guess I can't say that it might not be true for some.)
*coughs* You're speaking to a woman who's actually guilty of doing that. I suppose it's not that easy for a VN with an actual engrossing plot like Umineko, but for your typical eroge it's very VERY easy to ignore the plot altogether (as most of the time they're cookie-cutter) and just look for gratification.

I sure as darned breezed through To- Heart 2 for that reason. Ditto for the special disc. And December, When there are no Angels. And Tasogare...

Mind, White Album and To-Heart share the same publisher, Leaf. Egads. It's not engrossing literature by a mile.
Old 2009-12-02, 14:55   Link #2086
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
*coughs* You're speaking to a woman who's actually guilty of doing that. I suppose it's not that easy for a VN with an actual engrossing plot like Umineko, but for your typical eroge it's very VERY easy to ignore the plot altogether (as most of the time they're cookie-cutter) and just look for gratification.

I sure as darned breezed through To- Heart 2 for that reason. Ditto for the special disc. And December, When there are no Angels. And Tasogare...

Mind, White Album and To-Heart share the same publisher, Leaf. Egads. It's not engrossing literature by a mile.
Well, I guess I just figure that if you were just after the CGs themselves, there have got to be more efficient ways to that end (the artbooks, if nothing else...). Granted that I haven't played many games by Leaf (only bits and pieces of a few), but I don't think I could take the effort to read through a story if I didn't find it at least somewhat interesting (and wouldn't buy a game if I didn't think it would interest me). I suppose there's always CTRL, but... Given that stories in the medium tend to be getting more complex and involved nowadays, I'm led to believe that many in the audience are in fact interested in reading it (otherwise it would seem a poor investment), but I guess I have no way of knowing that as an absolute fact.

Regardless, though, this game comes from a different era with different expectations, so it's hard to know how exactly how it was perceived at the time in the context of what else was out there.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-02, 18:42   Link #2087
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
*snips*
We're both generalizing a bit, but I think there's a clear difference between games that have a complex story but throw in sex as a means to garner interest (re: Nasuverse games, stuff from KEY), and games where scoring the girl is literally a primary motivator to play (re: Sengoku Rance, Eushully Soft games). The genre is quite varied after all.

WHITE ALBUM came out nearly the same time as To Heart (the first one, which strangely enough served as the template for the SOL OVA), at a time games were shifting over to more complex stories, but the framework still remained the same. To give an idea, Kizuato (also from LEAF) came out afterwards, and it centered around four sisters to snag, and actually involved bondage at one point.
Old 2009-12-04, 18:45   Link #2088
Mazryonh

Hmm, so what happened this week for those lucky few on here who were able to see it live?
Mazryonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-05, 02:57   Link #2089
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Not exactly live, but.... Don't read if you don't want to be very spoiled.
Spoiler for ep23:
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-05, 03:16   Link #2090
willyvereb
Mad Scientist #0000

Send a message via MSN to willyvereb
@Kaoru Chujo: It seems I am going to enjoy this episode...I except some quite interesting developments in the nex one too
willyvereb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-05, 05:07   Link #2091
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Not exactly live, but.... Don't read if you don't want to be very spoiled.
Spoiler for ep23:
Spoiler:
Old 2009-12-05, 08:22   Link #2092
Freeter
beyond

Getting the raw now, this is going to be one epic recap
Old 2009-12-05, 08:48   Link #2093
Peanutbutter

Spoiler for Ep 23:
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-05, 10:50   Link #2094
prototype_sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter003 View Post
Spoiler for Ep 23:

Spoiler for Ep23:
prototype_sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-05, 11:11   Link #2095
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Egads, only Mana and Rina left.
Old 2009-12-05, 11:34   Link #2096
Key Board
Carbon

I strongly suspect Touya will end up being a karma houdini'

Then again, you can't put all the fault on him, either

I mean the girls do want his ****
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-05, 12:02   Link #2097
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Spoiler for Episode 23:
Old 2009-12-05, 14:06   Link #2098
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

EEEEEEHHHH~~~~~~~!?

Spoiler for ep23:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-05, 14:07   Link #2099
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Spoiler for ep23:
There's three episodes left.
Old 2009-12-05, 15:18   Link #2100
willyvereb
Mad Scientist #0000

Send a message via MSN to willyvereb
Well, it seems the thing started in the previous episode continues. Touya closes his relationships with the others. IIf it keeps up then he really is going to end up with somone in the end despite Mei19's wishes.

It's still uncertain who's going to be that certain someone.
Spoiler for ep 23+speculations:
willyvereb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, eroge, romance, seinen