Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-03-31, 07:43   Link #2461
Kayoubi
Togame's Sword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Fixed But whoever did not expect that would happen by the last episode deserves to get spoiled
Anything can happen in the world of anime. but also it prevents ruining the ending for people who are posting about the 1st ep and other stragglers.
Kayoubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 04:32   Link #2462
ShinVader

This would be second Anime which made me cry.
I had to watch the ending over and over to understand why Togame had to die and to understand the story better. I was hoping Shichika and Togame to have a happy ending but either way it was happy ending I guess. As Togame did not want to live her life for revenge also She did not want to kill shichika with her own hand although her evil self was planning to do so.For Togame death was her only happiness. Although Togame had That cold white snake the evil self with in her she still could feel Shichikas love. We can all see Togame Really loved Shichika her last word tell us.
Rest in peace Togame T.T
ShinVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 11:47   Link #2463
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinVader View Post
Spoiler for Ending:
I feel your pain though. The ending was definitely powerful stuff.

But, please put your post inside spoiler tags. As Shiroth said above, not everyone may have finish this yet and to ruin something like that is not cool.
Old 2011-04-06, 17:59   Link #2464
ShinVader

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
I feel your pain though. The ending was definitely powerful stuff.

But, please put your post inside spoiler tags. As Shiroth said above, not everyone may have finish this yet and to ruin something like that is not cool.
Sorry I did not mean to do that but I just do not know how to do spoilers quote.

If you let me know I will do it from now on

thank you
ShinVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-07, 20:17   Link #2465
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Put [spoiler=" _REASON_ "] in the beginning and [/spoiler] at the end. There is also a button next to the quote button too.
Old 2011-04-15, 19:08   Link #2466
LKK

NIS America has licensed Katanagatari. They will release the series on both DVD & Blu-ray in two volumes of 6 episodes each. Sub only. Premium box w/ bonus 30+ page art book. Volume 1 to release in July 2011. Official web page

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-15, 20:27   Link #2467
kyouray
2D > 3D

w00t !!! Great news !
Old 2011-04-15, 22:23   Link #2468
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Wow. I really didn't think this series would be licensed. I really wonder how they will translate it so far we have "12 Klesha Bringers" so yeah.

On a side note, it looks like NIS is getting a lot of my money lately, haha.
Old 2011-04-15, 23:41   Link #2469
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Wow. I really didn't think this series would be licensed. I really wonder how they will translate it so far we have "12 Klesha Bringers" so yeah.
Yea with no one having picked up Bakemongatari, it was just a forgone conclusion to me that no one would pick Katanagatari either, so I am quite happy to see someone has.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 00:13   Link #2470
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Isn't Klesha an Indian word? At least when I searched it on google it gave me Indian-related results.

Edit: These are somethings that are pricking on my nerves about this.
Klesha Bringers - No explanation needed

Lady Denial - Okay truth is this is the correct literal translation but come on, its a name so leave it as it is.

Phoenix of Divinity - The kanji is clearly "god" so why did it turned into "divine"? Honestly, you see this in TWGOK too, when did people in the west started becoming afraid of saying god?

12 Shadows of the Maniwa Ningun - It's heads, leaders, captains, anything except shadow!!

Last edited by omimon; 2011-04-16 at 00:27.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 02:56   Link #2471
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
NIS America has licensed Katanagatari. They will release the series on both DVD & Blu-ray in two volumes of 6 episodes each. Sub only. Premium box w/ bonus 30+ page art book. Volume 1 to release in July 2011. Official web page
That is a must buy in my books. Shame that the BR isn't my region, though even on DVD this is a show i'd love to own.
Old 2011-04-16, 10:23   Link #2472
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
Isn't Klesha an Indian word? At least when I searched it on google it gave me Indian-related results.

Edit: These are somethings that are pricking on my nerves about this.
Klesha Bringers - No explanation needed
I believe they did take it from Buddhism.

Quote:
Lady Denial - Okay truth is this is the correct literal translation but come on, its a name so leave it as it is.
Yes, that is bad. It's a name, and they left all the others alone too. What's funny is, she isn't even listed in the character pages, haha.

Quote:
Phoenix of Divinity - The kanji is clearly "god" so why did it turned into "divine"? Honestly, you see this in TWGOK too, when did people in the west started becoming afraid of saying god?
Yeah... god doesn't work in the western world, haha. But god is divine... lol.

Quote:
12 Shadows of the Maniwa Ningun - It's heads, leaders, captains, anything except shadow!!
Yeah... that's bad too.

Will have find out what firm they are letting do the translation.
Old 2011-04-16, 11:07   Link #2473
Kakkou
Tch.

Yeah, Lady Denial rubbed me the wrong way. I guess they were trying to stick with little to no translation notes and had to convey the meaning of her name. It still sounds retarded though, considering that's what the travelogue should be for. As they put it themselves:

"The show functions as a form of great literature, so this art book is the best way to truly appreciate the profound wordplay the writers created."

Couldn't have hurt to throw in a line about how "Hitei" means "Denial" in there. Also took me a while before I realised what Klesha Bringers was referring to. Not much comment on that though. Some of their choices feel off considering some stuff like Maniwa Ningun gets kept as it is.
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 11:22   Link #2474
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
Is it the same kanji used in "kamikaze"? I ask because I've always heard from way back the word "kamikaze" translated as "divine wind".

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 18:19   Link #2475
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

It seems people are already voicing their opinions:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIS Forum
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeX10A
I would to inquire as to how much involvement NIS has with the translation of their anime. Some companies do in house translating and others contract it to translation firms. I ask because there are some rather disappointing translations but at the same time, impressive and agreeable ones.

A recent example of a poor one, thanks to Esker, makes you wonder why a Buddhist term not part of a Westerner's common knowledge (which I had to Google) is being used:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esker
While it's awesome that a wonderful series like Katanagatari is getting licenced at all, what is with the choice of "Klesha Bringers" as a translation of 変態刀? I am aware of what klesha is, and it's not exactly a wrong way to describe them, but it seems like a needlessly obtuse way of translating a fairly straight-forward concept.

I'd love to know the reasoning behind this choice. Surely something like "abnormal swords" or "twisted blades" or "deviant weapons" or similar would be better. At least they'd be in English instead of Sanskrit....
My example of a poor one is from Toradora, Taiga's nickname for Ami. Taiga says "baka-chi" however it is translated as "chi-chi." "Baka" means idiot, or stupid. No where in that translation does it convey that Taiga is calling Ami an idiot and a chihuahua at the same time.

An example of a good one is from Toradora. "Maruo" translating to "four eyes" works well since (I think) "maruo" is a reference to a character or person in Japan who wears glasses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houk
We do all of the translation and localization in-house (as well as DVD authoring, package design, QA, etc. etc.)

Without addressing your specific concerns, since I haven't worked on any anime title released to date, we do try to maintain the cultural feel as much as possible. Sometimes we get it just right, and sometimes we miss the mark. The editors all come from games, where translation can be a little more free and loose at times, so we have to remind ourselves to stick a little closer to the Japanese for anime, and sometimes things slip through. But we do try to improve with each title, and we're still pretty young in the anime business, so I think you'll only see us getting better from here on out.

That being said, we're all pretty happy with Klesha Bringers, and hopefully your opinion on it won't sour you on the series itself.
Luckily, they do answer the questions asked. Now we know to blame NIS themselves for the translations. But we also know that that they recognize what they do wrong... to a degree.

As for the explanation to "Klesha Bringers"...
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIS Forum
Quote:
Androvsky and Vampko both pretty much summarized our thoughts on it. Rather than go with something obvious and easy, the team wanted something exotic and mysterious and something which, if you do know what it means, can bring an even deeper and more complex meaning to the swords.

Plus, it does sound cool. Just be thankful they didn't take my suggestion and call it Kle$ha Bringers.
I guess using a Buddhist term in a Japanese to English translation adds meaning.
Old 2011-04-16, 23:37   Link #2476
Kakkou
Tch.

Well it does clear a few things up, though I hope they find some time to at least revert Lady Denial back to Lady Hitei or Princess Hitei or whatever. That's really the only thing that's truly bugging me.

Quote:
Just be thankful they didn't take my suggestion and call it Kle$ha Bringers.
That would be the most horrifying sword of all. Kill it. Kill it good.
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 04:48   Link #2477
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

I realize that they have to be on their translators' side but aren't the fans the one who are buying the DVDs? If they are gonna earn money from it I think they should please the fans first.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-17, 21:08   Link #2478
Kayoubi
Togame's Sword

Wow really? Princess Denial?

The adventures of Seven Flowers and once Princess Allowance now called Rebuke are out to collect pervert blades. I don't think this blurb will help sell dvd's in NA. (Except to the 'niche' crowd here at home )
Kayoubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-23, 00:25   Link #2479
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

Hi guys. Loved the series, but i am a bit confused about the ending. So i have a few questions . I will spoiler tag them in case.

Spoiler for to avoid spoiling the ending:

More importantly how Emonzaemon learned about togame's true identity? I mean she hinted but she never said who her dad was until after he had left. Weren't they only speculating? She just said her dad loved her when Emonzaemon was still around.

Overall a good anime , but kinda confusing ending.

On that regard Emonzaemon says it's Shichika's fault that Togame and Hitei's battle ended like that. What did he do?

Last edited by Whitemoon648; 2011-05-23 at 02:17.
Whitemoon648 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-23, 00:38   Link #2480
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
On Hitei-Hime, i think it's just that she's actually very similar to Togame in nature, if not exactly the same type of person. It's just that Togame's childhood was ruined by her own quest to revenge until the last minute, while Hitei simply just wanted to mess up the entire plan of her ancestor.

In another word:
- Togame: has cold personality (cross-eye)as she want revenge (A) -> act cute during the entire anime so she can exploit her own emotion to "trick" her self and Shichika (B)
- Hiteihime: originally have cute personality (B) -> act cold to rid off her emotion during the entire anime so she can mess up the ending of her ancestor plan (A)
Well how did she wanted to mess up their plan? To me it seemed like she didn't care either way if it succeeded or not, but her aim was to make it succeed. I mean she wasn't diehard about it, but still she said she had hoped to kill the shogun in power because that was part of shiki's plan. In shiki's plan shogun shouldn't have been in power at all.

But still her plan( and her ancestors plan) ultimately failed because shogun's son still took the power. I mean they were trying to falsify history to avoid the possible destruction.

P.S. Also why was Togame gathering the swords? Was it to overthrow to shogun or was it to just take the power by being the shogun's righthand ( well it works as revenge too i guess in a way). Then If that was the case wouldn't togame being
Spoiler:

If she had taken power ( actually even if her dad had taken power) then Kiki's plan would have came true right? Since they wanted to defeat shogun. Also isn't that ironic how Togame's father was trying to fix history but by succeeding he would have actually helped kiki's plans to come true ?
Correct me if i am wrong. A good but confusing ending . I might have it all wrong about the ending though .

Last edited by Whitemoon648; 2011-05-23 at 02:17.
Whitemoon648 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, adventure, comedy, edo setting, light novel adaptation, nishio, romance, tragedy