AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-02-23, 02:24   Link #321
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I liked this episode as well, but I'm missing the rest of the cast. After the time invested in them at the outset, they've been tossed aside the last couple of weeks. I hope we get some ensemble episodes again ant not just Violet's task-of-the-week.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2018-02-24 at 16:14.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-23, 08:57   Link #322
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Absolutely stunning episode. One could argue that the pacing was a bit fast, but I personally don't really care because they conveyed the full depth of emotions they needed to over the course of the time slot. The majority of the episode, especially the scene with the lake and the final shot cutting off right before Violet presumably cried out, was legitimately feature film quality. I'm also actually both surprised and happy that Violet learned the truth about Gilbert this early on. Now we have decent amount of time to see all the development and fallout.

(And I get the trope of no body = no death, but I kind of hope he actually is dead. I just personally like it when characters don't come back. XD)
Old 2018-02-23, 11:54   Link #323
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

This was probably the most beautiful episode of an anime that I have ever seen. KyoAni outdid themselves here, especially with that scene with Violet in the water.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how Violet will cope with what she learned this episode.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-23, 20:26   Link #324
SeaDoor

I know this is bad to mention but...

Every time Violet shows her hands, I expect her to have to occasionally stop by Rockbell's for a cleaning and minor repairs.

OK, I'll be quiet now...
SeaDoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-24, 13:07   Link #325
Applehell

Wow... You can say what you want about it's other aspects, but Kyoani really nails the big dramatic moments of these episodes like nobody else. I haven't read the original, but as good as it might have been I really doubt it could have been presented better then was displayed at climax. This really has to with fact visual narratives at their heights can easily surpass the same scene in text if on point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranhieu View Post
Looks like people's enthusiasm has waned down quite a bit after 6 episodes?
I don't know if there was that much enthusiasm in the first place. 7 episodes in this has very much been the same show as was in the first episode even if the focus has shifted a bit. So if you liked that then you're most likely still here, instead the activity in this thread is more of a testament that was always more of a low-key a fair. Despite the amazing production values it's not hard to see why if you take a step back consider what commonly drives engagement of more popular shows, that usually a strong mystery, drama or romantic element. Violet Evergarden has these in spots, but never delves deeply into them enough since a lot of this is focused around one-shot whom resolve their conflicts in one episode instead building upon one of those 3 elements around a single or multiple reoccurring characters.

But the whole Violent-Gilbert affair coming back into the spotlight might change that though.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-24, 16:18   Link #326
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
I don't know if there was that much enthusiasm in the first place. 7 episodes in this has very much been the same show as was in the first episode even if the focus has shifted a bit. So if you liked that then you're most likely still here, instead the activity in this thread is more of a testament that was always more of a low-key a fair.
While it's no Darling in the FRANXX, Violet has been holding her own compared to shows like Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens, a consistently well-written, amusing, and adult story that few people appear to be following. There are only eighty or so posts in that thread so far, a quarter of the traffic for this show.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-24, 17:03   Link #327
Kazu-kun

Who cares about the amount of posts in a Western forum anyway. DarliFran actually isn't that popular in Japan. It's selling worse than Violet according to stalker estimations.

The hits of the season are Yuru Camp, Idolish Seven, Takagi-san and SoraYori. In that order.

Yuru Camp, against all expectation, ended up being gold.
Old 2018-02-24, 17:06   Link #328
Blueknight78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Who cares about number of posts in a gaijin forum. DarliFran actually isn't that popular in Japan. It's selling worse than Violet according to stalker estimations.

The hits of the season are Yuru Camp, Idolish Seven, Takagi-san and SoraYori. In that order.

Yuru Camp, against all expectation, ended up being gold.
actually since this serie is being "payed" by netflix, they also don't need to care "about sales" the studio already get his money from netflix.
Old 2018-02-24, 20:47   Link #329
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
Wow... You can say what you want about it's other aspects, but Kyoani really nails the big dramatic moments of these episodes like nobody else. I haven't read the original, but as good as it might have been I really doubt it could have been presented better then was displayed at climax. This really has to with fact visual narratives at their heights can easily surpass the same scene in text if on point.
The visual direction was on point, but the overall narrative and tone of who Violet Evergarden is far from being on point.

Quote:
I don't know if there was that much enthusiasm in the first place. 7 episodes in this has very much been the same show as was in the first episode even if the focus has shifted a bit. So if you liked that then you're most likely still here, instead the activity in this thread is more of a testament that was always more of a low-key a fair. Despite the amazing production values it's not hard to see why if you take a step back consider what commonly drives engagement of more popular shows, that usually a strong mystery, drama or romantic element. Violet Evergarden has these in spots, but never delves deeply into them enough since a lot of this is focused around one-shot whom resolve their conflicts in one episode instead building upon one of those 3 elements around a single or multiple reoccurring characters.
Spoiler for Comparison to the novels:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2018-03-09 at 14:32.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-24, 21:16   Link #330
AB079
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2018-03-09 at 14:32. Reason: Comparison to the novels
AB079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-24, 21:23   Link #331
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Let's be frank on one thing: nobody cares about the one-off clients the way Violet does.
KyoAni is aware of this, that's why they shifted the focus from "who Violet is to the clients" to "who Violet is".
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-24, 21:36   Link #332
Blueknight78

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB079 View Post

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2018-03-09 at 14:33. Reason: add spoiler tags
Blueknight78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-24, 21:47   Link #333
AB079
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueknight78 View Post

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2018-03-09 at 14:34. Reason: Comparison to the novels
AB079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-24, 21:58   Link #334
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2018-03-09 at 14:34. Reason: Comparison to the novels
Old 2018-02-24, 22:11   Link #335
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2018-03-09 at 14:35. Reason: Spoiler tags for comparison
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-25, 00:03   Link #336
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2018-03-09 at 14:35. Reason: Added spoiler tags for comparison
Old 2018-02-25, 14:07   Link #337
rulfo

Quote:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2018-03-09 at 14:36. Reason: Spoiler tags for comparison
rulfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-25, 14:08   Link #338
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Spoiler for Comparison to Haruhi:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2018-03-09 at 14:37. Reason: Added tags
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-25, 17:28   Link #339
rulfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Spoiler for Comparison to Haruhi:
Spoiler for Comparison to the novels and to Haruhi:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2018-03-09 at 14:37. Reason: Added spoiler tags
rulfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-02-25, 17:59   Link #340
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Another decent episode but this time made better by what happens after Violet's work with the playwriter. Violet is finally made aware of Gilbert's (presumed) death though it really does beg the question how it was kept a secret from her longer than it had any right to be.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote