AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2007-02-12, 23:04   Link #1081
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

That would be "Brave Phoenix" by Mizuki Nana. PM for link.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-12, 23:08   Link #1082
Alavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost View Post
Boy, their combined attacks were a great delight to behold and hear.
And a good reminder to never, never, under no circumstances get on their bad side. Or decide that you don't want to be their friend. Just don't go there...
Alavaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-12, 23:14   Link #1083
Lost

LOL. Indeed.

Gah I need to go out for Lunch before I can watch the last episode but I suppose the climax has been reached. I leave it for later. Thanks again for titles, LoweGear and Ala.

Last edited by Lost; 2007-02-12 at 23:33.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-12, 23:20   Link #1084
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alavaria View Post
And a good reminder to never, never, under no circumstances get on their bad side. Or decide that you don't want to be their friend. Just don't go there...
Of course.. why wouldn't you want to be their friend, even if it involves a Nanoha-style Excelion Buster inauguration?

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2007-02-12, 23:22   Link #1085
Kikaifan
Blazing General

Quote:
Oh no, they were perfectly prepared to kill the both of them to prevent them from snitching on Hayate-chan. Signum only warned Fate that one-blow to her no-defense armor would do Fate in. Then she morphed into her own armor and prepared to go at Fate.
Yes, they preferred killing them over letting Hayate be killed, but Signum getting broken up over being forced into a fight she couldn't win without killing tells me they'd have preferred to take them captive until the Book was complete or the like. But then, I am biased...

Quote:
Same with Vita, she came at Nanoha from the top, without warning, literally attempting to obliterate her in a fireball - she actually struck that fireball at Nanoha when Nanoha was lying against the metal-fence; injured from the initial suprise attack and relatively defenseless. Neither Nanoha nor Fate made a first move towards combat.

While its true that it was obvious that their opponents were going to fight, its not the same as the Knights using underhanded means to exploit every advantage they had.
No different from the first battle in episode one. In fact, in episode nine Nanoha knew a lot better that a fight was coming than she did in episode one, where her only warning was the barrier. In episode nine the Knights purposely delayed the battle so they could move to neutral ground. They weren't just not underhanded, they were almost stupidly fair to waste that much time setting things up like that considering their opponents had allies in the vicinity and they did not.

Underhanded is taking hostages and slitting people's throats while they sleep. Making the first move after you've already told your opponents you aren't willing to let them escape is anything but.
Old 2007-02-12, 23:43   Link #1086
Alavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Of course.. why wouldn't you want to be their friend, even if it involves a Nanoha-style Excelion Buster inauguration?
Hayate got away by having the YnS take that hit for her
Only people who don't want to be their friends get owned though. Yuuno didn't get whacked up by Nanoha ... or Shamal either lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikaifan View Post
Yes, they preferred killing them over letting Hayate be killed, but Signum getting broken up over being forced into a fight she couldn't win without killing tells me they'd have preferred to take them captive until the Book was complete or the like. But then, I am biased...
Sadly, you can't really capture Fate without hitting her at least once, which would kill her. Luckily for both of them it didn't come to that.
Old 2007-02-12, 23:59   Link #1087
Hoshi_Kawa
Give Gin Back!

Send a message via MSN to Hoshi_Kawa
I remember posting about the Nanoha STG game demo a long long time ago, now their actually selling the real thing o_O? Demo suxed when i played it =/

http://www.himeyashop.com/product_in...oducts_id/6395
Hoshi_Kawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-13, 00:13   Link #1088
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

WTF...

There's actually a game like that? O_Od School gameplay FTW XD

Old 2007-02-13, 01:13   Link #1089
Lost

Quote:
As Signum said, they could have been very good friends had they met under any other circumstances; to which Fate agreed. I am very sure that Signum saw alot of herself in Fate-chan. Sadly, even then, her link to Hayate saw her having to kill Fate. But that's not the point I have a problem with...

Quote:
No different from the first battle in episode one. In fact, in episode nine Nanoha knew a lot better that a fight was coming than she did in episode one, where her only warning was the barrier. In episode nine the Knights purposely delayed the battle so they could move to neutral ground. They weren't just not underhanded, they were almost stupidly fair to waste that much time setting things up like that considering their opponents had allies in the vicinity and they did not.

Underhanded is taking hostages and slitting people's throats while they sleep. Making the first move after you've already told your opponents you aren't willing to let them escape is anything but.
From the start the Knights had their bases covered; the jamming barrier was set-up as soon as Nanoha and Fate came into the hospital room. In such a situation, Nanoha and Fate had no choice but to "confront" (unarmed, mind you) the Knights to resolve matters. Both Nanoha and Fate were in school-u and jackets. Yet, Vita and Signum had weapons ready and concealed; and Shamal too was armed in the sense of cutting Nanoha and Fate from help with her barrier. Basically, they attacked, without much provocation, two as-yet unarmed girls. In other words, this was set up to be a round bash of Nanoha and Fate. Which is why I found it dishourable on the part of the Knights.

That the attack in this episode (at least, only Vita's) was quite similar to that in episode 1 shows that from the start the Knights were already in such a state. Even in episode 6 or 7 or 8; when Signum yielded to (and thus condoned) the attack of Fate that came from behind - the attack which was obviously unfair and down-right disgraceful. Further, in episode 1 Nanoha had more warning that an attack was imminent, whereas it was not so in this case. That said, sure, Nanoha might be blamed for allowing herself to be caught off-guard by being too trusting.

On to episode 13.

Last edited by Lost; 2007-02-13 at 01:28.
Old 2007-02-13, 01:28   Link #1090
Chi-no
Light & Dark User

Quote:
In other words, this was set up to be a round bash of Nanoha and Fate. Which is why I found it dishourable on the part of the Knights.
Well , I remembered that Signum did said in the earlier part that in order to do collect the pages of the Book of Darkness, they will throw away their pride of knights. So I think it is normal. And shows how far they are willingly to go to in order to reach their goal.

From this Story itself, we can tell that The knights treated Hayate as their most important 'master' than any of the master that they have known. And for that, I kinda agree that they are even willing to throw eveything that they hold dear in order to reach the goal of Hayate's recovery... I agreed that they have did this part well...
Chi-no is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-13, 01:38   Link #1091
Lost

Yep, it does, very much, show their love for Hayate. I just feel it's sad they had to throw away their pride to do so.
Old 2007-02-13, 01:56   Link #1092
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Sad, indeed, but unavoidable. After Fate and Nanoha's visiting at hospital, they knoew there's only one way to save Hayate, and they had no other choices.
Duo Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-13, 02:56   Link #1093
Lost

Sweet - Nanoha A's end.

At the end of Nanoha A's, I don't think there is much I could put into words. Especially were my feelings caught up in the final rush and climatic ending between the Knights and Nanoha and Gang; and the array of their feelings and emotions, motives that emerged as never before. To me, Nanoha and Fate emerged as the heroines; their desire for what was right giving them insurmountable strength and leading them all the way. The Knight-Guardians too deserve due credit for their devotion to their mistress, and Hayate, for her inherent love and good-naturedness that changed both her Knights and, more impressively, what was once feared as the Book of Darkness (*ahem* it's now a chibi loli ) The emotional-charge of the first season only got better in A's. I got an indescribable feeling at the six-years-later epilogue; it certainly was delightful seeing them progress so far. Chrono has a deep voice now, and is the captain of the Asura! (I am not gay.. I am not gay.. I am not gay... I am n...).

And with these words, the chapter of A's closes, but one thing that I will always keep in mind is this. In Nanoha's own words:

When you say "goodbye" as you set off on a journey, that's not a word of farewell, but of new beginnings.

Indeed. Here's looking forward to StrikerS in mid-April.

Last edited by Lost; 2007-02-13 at 03:50. Reason: damned typo
Old 2007-02-13, 03:23   Link #1094
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Yup, alot of people felt the same way about A's very satisfying ending, me included

Old 2007-02-13, 03:39   Link #1095
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

If there's one thing I liked about A's above everything else, it's how it maintains a fine balance between a sweet, fun ride of an anime series and a chock of OMG cliffhanger dorama and emo dorama style. Too much of the first can easily leave a bad taste, and too much of the latter is...I dunno, bad. Character drama and emo is good, but a lot of series has a tendecy to let it drag on longer than it needs to be, under the pretense of "serious and realistic character development."

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-13, 11:35   Link #1096
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?

Just a note supporting Kikaifan's position about the Knights playing fair, more or less...

Nanoha and Fate weren't the only ones visiting Hayate then. So was Arisa and Suzuka. Even if they had left Suzuka alone due to her being their mistress' close friend, they still have Arisa to use as a hostage. And yet they let them leave unharmed.

It's quite true that particular situation had almost everything in the Knight's favor. And Vita's surprise attack could be considered as an act of dishonor. But think in their shoes and you'll realise they don't have a choice. What will happen if they foolishly let Nanoha and Fate leave and contact the TSAB? Hayate would be captured, and in the worst scenario be incinerated along with the Tome.
Estavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-13, 13:38   Link #1097
Kikaifan
Blazing General

She'd be killed no matter what. Any attempt to separate Book and Master leads to the master being consumed.

I don't see what about the situation favored the Knights. Shamal canceled out TSAB reinforcements so the numbers were even, and Shamal said they'd fight them before Vita attacked. There was nothing sneaky going on. Fate and Nanoha wanted to talk, the Knights wanted to win, so the Knights attacked first to get the point across- talk all you like, the only outcome we can accept is our victory.

If the Knights had really intended to kill them in a surprise attack rather than just get the fight started, they could have done so easily. If Vita had started out with either of her alternate hammer techs Nanoha wouldn't have been able to shield against them and would have been killed without her device or armor active. Likewise, Signum's link-sword techniques would have been hard or impossible to dodge without flight.

As far as I'm concerned, their attacks were just a message to stop wasting their time with talk when there wasn't any diplomatic solution to be reached.
Old 2007-02-13, 14:01   Link #1098
Alavaria

Quote:
If the Knights had really intended to kill them in a surprise attack rather than just get the fight started, they could have done so easily. If Vita had started out with either of her alternate hammer techs Nanoha wouldn't have been able to shield against them and would have been killed without her device or armor active. Likewise, Signum's link-sword techniques would have been hard or impossible to dodge without flight.
Nanoha can block the Missile Form, but NO WAY could she block Giant Form .. similarly, without Bardiche out I think Fate wouldn't be able to defend against Snake Form ... (or Storm Falcon, but that takes a while to do)
Old 2007-02-13, 14:35   Link #1099
Kikaifan
Blazing General

She can only block Rocket Form with cartridges IIRC, and there's no way she'd have time to form Raising Heart, burn a cartridge, and cast the barrier if she were surprised...
Old 2007-02-13, 15:38   Link #1100
Alavaria

Quote:
She can only block Rocket Form with cartridges IIRC, and there's no way she'd have time to form Raising Heart, burn a cartridge, and cast the barrier if she were surprised...
She does not need to burn a cartridge for Protection Powered - at least Episode 5 around 16:40 does not show her using a cartridge.

As for setting up RH in the first place - who knows how long it takes .. transformation can be rather wierd, and then ....