AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2015-09-25, 20:24   Link #521
zztop

Fumiaki Maruto said in an interview (published on Classroom's website) that Classroom's his first attempt at writing human drama.
Quote: I’ve already written a trendy drama (White Album 2) and a situational comedy (Saekano), so I wanted to try my hand at a human drama. I love all these genres – they’re my lifeblood.

The anime director also added:
This is a story set in the near future about high school salarymen. The story depicts the tragedy of being a student and a salaryman with a light touch. The theme of “creative work” plays a large role in the story, as per Maruto-san’s scenario, so we set the story in an academy that builds rockets. We thought this would be a good fit for anime. From there, we worked backwards and decided on the near future setting. The most interesting parts of the story are the dramatic parts, so we added some sci-fi elements to make it interesting to watch. That’s about the gist of it.

This blog also points out Maruto's clear disdain for corporate structure and whole support of artistic vision in his works.
https://fantasticmemes.wordpress.com...ssroom-crisis/
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-25, 20:34   Link #522
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

It was quite a barrage of sequel hooks. A-TEC is starting anew as a separate entity, Iris and Nagisa have yet to reveal their identities, and Kazuhisa is reveal to be a mere mid-boss for the A-TEC. I really don't mind those, though. A-TEC is considerate enough to look to Iris as Iris their ace pilot and not Nagisa Shinamiya the heir of Kirishina, and Yasuhisa keeping his influence over Kirishina is something to be expected of corporate firms with a strong family background.

But yeah, the series is far from over since the series has an ongoing light novel adaptation. Maybe they have to drop these plot threads to divert the interest of the viewers to the LNs.

Overall, the story of Classroom Crisis is nothing to write home about. It does not try to innovate, and only maintains a particular level of focus to the topics it opens, to the point that it's criticized for having the space and corporate setting as gimmicks. Still, despite being "boring" to some, it never really takes a massive dip in storytelling IMO. I guess that alone gives it a sizable merit unlike some other original anime this season that felt like a tryhard plot-wise. (You know what I mean.)

I'll gladly welcome a second season of Classroom Crisis, although from the pace of the LNs, we won't be able to get that until after a long time.

SERIES #250 GET.
Well, look at that. Classroom Crisis has become a milestone for me as an anime watcher.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-25, 20:42   Link #523
Xiyon

Personally, I don't think what happened was a clear-cut love triangle. In fact, I feel Iris' "love" is one-sided.

I placed love in quotes because an argument of misinterpreted emotions can be made. Nagisa was the guy that sacrificed himself for Iris. He lost his entire family and bore the burdens of her name while she was living happily as a school-girl oblivious to her past. I think what Iris is feeling is a mix of guilt and gratitude, with childhood bonds underlying these emotions.

On the other hand, Nagisa is simply conflicted by his loyalty to Iris-- "protecting her", as he put it. Iris herself hasn't shown anything that would make Nagisa outright despise her. His "what should I do?" to Sera can be interpreted as "what can I do to reject my master's feelings without hurting her?", rather than a "should I choose between the lavenderette or the brunette?"

Of course, if a season 2 comes along, Iris could make a stronger case of love for herself. Overall, I don't think the love triangle should be treated seriously at this moment; the series clearly wasn't focused on it. Instead, I feel that, along with Kazuhisa's "it's not yet your time, dad" and Nagisa's "let's take over the world", the love triangle is bait for a second season/sequel.
Xiyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-25, 20:45   Link #524
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I just checked. Nagisa was chugging down sparkling water from Ganymede.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia on Ganymede
Ganymede is composed of approximately equal amounts of silicate rock and water ice. It is a fully differentiated body with an iron-rich, liquid core, and an internal ocean that may contain more water than all of Earth's oceans together.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Old 2015-09-25, 20:55   Link #525
zztop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
But yeah, the series is far from over since the series has an ongoing light novel adaptation. Maybe they have to drop these plot threads to divert the interest of the viewers to the LNs.
There's a light novel series? I thought the show was anime original. Or are the LNs a spinoff?
Old 2015-09-25, 21:06   Link #526
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

There are two LNs based on CC, both of which are published by MF Bunko J.

The first seems to be a direct adaptation, written by Hajime Taguchi.

Mankind reaches an age where life outside Earth is commonplace, as the solar system is being populated. Mizuki Sera is a third year high school student born in Mars and studying in Kirishina Technological Institute. She attends in the school's special class, A-TEC, where they develop engines used interplanetary travel under the Kirishina Corporation. In other words, "students that are also employees". One day, Mizuki's brother Kaito, who is the adviser of A-TEC, is worried that the class' latest transferee Nagisa hasn't come to class on time. There, they receive a phone call, and...!?

There's also CC: Another Crisis, written by Hajime Asano and illustrated by Kingin. Apparently, it's a comedic spinoff of CC.

In order to learn the weakness of the members of A-TEC, Nagisa Kiryuu infiltrates the Advanced Technological Development Department as its director. For this reason, Nagisa's subordinate Angelina prepares her secret weapon, a cat-shaped robot. Nagisa manages to manipulates Mizuki and Iris using this cat robot, but...

Last edited by Marcus H.; 2015-09-25 at 21:22.
Old 2015-09-25, 21:12   Link #527
zztop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
There are two LNs based on CC, both of which are published by MF Bunko J.

The first seems to be a direct adaptation, written by Hajime Taguchi.

太陽系惑星への移住が進み、人類が地球外で生まれ育つことも珍しくなくなった時代。火星生まれの瀬良ミズキ は霧科科学技術学園の高校三年生。彼女が通う教室・A‐TECは教育機関であると同時に、惑星間航行用エン ジンの開発も手がける霧科コーポレーションの先行技術開発部でもあった。つまり“学生にして社員”だ。ある 日、ミズキの兄でA‐TEC担任のカイトは、転入生のナギサが予定の時間になっても到着しなくてヤキモキし ていた。そこに一本の電話がかかってくるのだが―!?大好評TVアニメ『Classroom☆Crisis 』公式ノベライズ、テイクオフ

There's also CC: Another Crisis, written by Hajime Asano and illustrated by Kingin.

A‐TECメンバーの弱みを握るため、潜入調査をすることになった先行技術開発部部長、霧羽ナギサ。そのた めに部下のアンジェリーナが用意した秘密兵器は、なんと猫型のロボットだった。ナギサは猫型ロボットを操り ミズキとイリスに近づくが…。かんざきひろ×丸戸史明×長崎健司の豪華スタッフが贈るオリジナルアニメーシ ョン『Classroom☆Crisis』。超一流企業、霧科コーポレーションのエリート候補たちが集う、 先行技術開発部教育開発室。通称、A‐TEC。変人クラスと呼ばれるA‐TECメンバーによるドタバタな日 常を描いたスピンオフ作品、開幕!
Is there any difference in plot content between them?
Old 2015-09-25, 21:16   Link #528
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroageha View Post
I thought it was damn obvious though.
Oh, I saw it coming I was just really hoping they wouldn't go down that road. Nothing wrong with Nagisa being in a romantic relationship with Mizuki while also caring about and loving Iris in a platonic way.
Old 2015-09-25, 21:24   Link #529
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

@Xiyon
That's not how this writer works though.
Kuroageha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-25, 21:25   Link #530
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Unfortunately, we can only speculate how the story would go and it would stay as mere speculation, even if we know how Maruto writes.

Old 2015-09-25, 21:44   Link #531
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

I'm talking about what happened though.
Kuroageha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-25, 21:49   Link #532
Incest Emblem
Onii-sama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiyon View Post
Personally, I don't think what happened was a clear-cut love triangle. In fact, I feel Iris' "love" is one-sided.
I do not see how Iris' interruption and blushing could be interpreted as anything other than a romantic attraction, even if it is merely a transplantation of childhood memories. And Nagisa's question of "what should I do?" to Kaito would make no sense if he were neutral toward Iris.

The more likely explanation is that before Iris regained her memories, Nagisa was content to simply let her live a happy life--away from the corporate machinations--without trying to get close to her.

On an different note, does anyone know how trade/business secret law works in Japan? I'll use 2 sets of laws I am familiar with to illustrate the problem with the last episode: Kaito invited a set of investors to watch a demonstration of a new product without obtaining approval to unveil the product to the public. He did so with the specific intention of attracting investors for a rival company.

The USA does not have uniform trade secret laws--these are left to the individual states--but most likely what he did would be misappropriation of trade secrets. The A-TEC founders would at least subject to civil lawsuits with likelihood of very high civil damages and possibly an injunction to prevent the new company from operating at all.

China would most likely consider this a theft of business secrets. It would be a crime for which he can be imprisoned.
Incest Emblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-26, 02:03   Link #533
Ottocycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
... What is that max speed of 42 km/h about? It's tiny. Or is it 42 km/s? And even so, what would that mean? What's the limiting factor? The fuel and/or reaction mass? Does that include what's needed to come to a stop?
I'm an engineer by training and I watched the subs in disbelief. Let's see what was actually said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ep13
X-3の最高時速は約42万キロで、X-2の1.7倍。航続距離は二倍になります。
So it actually has a top speed of 42,000 420,000 km/h. While it says operating range, in terms of distance, is doubled, that makes less sense in light of inertial navigation (which the show has acknowledged before). So I assume it's more along the lines of operating duration instead.

Of course being a corporate presentation (and in the meta sense, a cartoon as well) , the conditions to achieve this are obviously omitted lol.

Last edited by Ottocycle; 2015-09-26 at 05:42.
Ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-26, 03:50   Link #534
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Wouldn't it be 420,000?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-26, 05:00   Link #535
Ghostfriendly

Such a feel-good ending, very much in the tone of the series. One of those series where you long for more episodes, but feel perfectly happy with the ones we've got.

It does bug me that Hanoko was suddenly better; they shouldn't have had her get shot at all. And only Iris could make the decision to risk her life to save Nagisa, so Mizuki ordering her was rather a duff note, but that scene recovered quite nicely.

Though this wasn't a cyberpunk show, the idea that brilliant developers are more valuable than quickly-supplanted new technology came up a lot in William Gibson. Kidnapping developers, as in ep 7, came up a great deal.

Nagisa's stress over the incipient love triangle was hilarious, while the girls don't mind at all; it looked like Hanako wasn't so happy though. 'Let's take over the world!' was the most characterful ending line in some time
Ghostfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-26, 05:21   Link #536
Salva
Princess since baptism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
What did I tell you guys? The way the romance sub-plot was being written in particular with Iris's angle, it isn't over until its over. I mean, for what other reason will Iris overcome her PTSD unless it was with the power of love? Mizuki asking the REAL questions that despite Iris's accidents, why does she still insist to fly the damn plane. XD

Sure there's no kiss, but that look on his face with those hands on her hips just shows that this is way beyond just the call of duty. Even Mizuki had to feel jealous at that scene, so there's no way one can say that that was merely platonic without any feelings of love.

If one can categorize it, Nagisa's feelings towards Mizuki is like Eros, where according to wiki is describes as "a passionate physical and emotional love of wanting to satisfy, create sexual contentment, security and aesthetic enjoyment for each other." At least, that's what I get from the scenes between Nagisa and Mizuki.

But between Nagisa and Iris? It's pretty much full-blown Agape, where it is described as "In this style of love one derives one's definition of love in being altruistic towards one's partner and feeling love in the acts of doing so. The person is willing to endure difficulty that arises from the partner's circumstance. It is based on an unbreakable commitment and an unconditional, selfless love." Considering all the suffering Nagisa had to endure all the years for Iris's sake, and that Iris had a MAJOR mental roadblock that was only overcome by her fear for Nagisa's well-being DESPITE seeing him kiss Mizuki, I'd say this is THE perfect description of the love between the two.

(This is the reason why I'm such a Maruofag, since he understands what the childhood friend romance is all about. Damn I loved those flashbacks!)

Reminds me a lot of another anime, Asura Cryin. There we've got one candidate in which looks to be in the lead with the way she and the MC are acting around each other (heck they even have a 'daughter' together lol), even sharing a romantic scene during the series. This is in contrast to his childhood friend, who he hasn't made any romantic advancements (considering she's in a ghostly form and all), but their subtle love relationship is described by other posters in that thread as 'soulmates'.

And long story short?
Spoiler:
Which is pretty much the same here, in Nagisa asking Kaito in "What do you think I should do?"

Overall, an awesome series in my book. Maruo shows that sci-fi isn't really is his forte, but I like the political angle and of course, the mucho drama coming from his love triangle. Ten thousand miles ahead of my second pick of the season, Rokka no Yuusha, because at least here everything is properly foreshadowed and no 'very convenient plot device' at the final episode. Which is weird, considering Rokka is supposed to be the mystery story, but hey, again that's why I love Maruo so much.

(Okada better step up with her Gundam, or else she'll be overthrown as my favourite writer in anime... XD)
HOLY COWS!!! I'm impressed by your perseverance and stubborness and foremost… accuracy! My jaw fell to the floor when Iris started blushing. I couldn't believe it and was in denial for some time. Boy, but I was wrong… It does seem to make a bit of sense, considering everything. They do share a deep connection and suddenly regaining her memories she might have mistook few things here and there.

I don't like one thing though, she didn't see Mizuki and Nagisa kiss. She saw Mizuki comfort him, give him a pat on the face, tops. It was Sera who saw them actually kiss and embrace.

Anyway, I support the opinion of the person who said that it doesn't mean Nagisa is actually considering Iris at all. He's just between the duty (happiness of his master) and his own happiness. It will be a tough choice. It broke my heart when I saw Mizuki force a smile while seeing them hug. She's one strong girl, I disliked her at the beginning but she grew on me. Mizuki is someone who completes him, gives him strength and makes him a better person. I think he has the same effect on her, making her more realistic. I can't imagine anyone being a better match for someone like Nagisa.
Old 2015-09-26, 05:41   Link #537
Ottocycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Wouldn't it be 420,000?
Undoubtedly so!

Old 2015-09-26, 05:53   Link #538
Incest Emblem
Onii-sama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottocycle View Post
So it actually has a top speed of 42,000 420,000 km/h. While it says operating range, in terms of distance, is doubled, that makes less sense in light of inertial navigation (which the show has acknowledged before). So I assume it's more along the lines of operating duration instead.
I assume he meant operational distance for 2 reasons:

1. These vehicles carry people without being large enough to be self-contained systems. The greater the linear acceleration, the greater the distance the vehicles can reach under the same life-support supply.

2. He specifically talked about being able to reach new resource asteroids toward the end of his paper presentation (around 5:15). This was an indirect appeal saying that they no longer need to go to war, because they can now more easily exploit distant asteroids rather than fight over close-by ones. This makes no sense if he meant duration rather than distance.

Also keep in mind that he's doing a presentation for the board of directors of a corporation, not doing a technical presentation. Translating what the engine can do into business terms is perfectly acceptable.
Incest Emblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-26, 07:13   Link #539
Ottocycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incest Emblem View Post
I assume he meant operational distance for 2 reasons:

1. These vehicles carry people without being large enough to be self-contained systems. The greater the linear acceleration, the greater the distance the vehicles can reach under the same life-support supply.
Using operating distance as the defining metric of the engine performance doesn't gel IMO. Operating distance of the craft as a complete system brings into the picture a bunch of other quantities which when individually varied, affect all the rest. Fuel load, the engine's operating profile, power-to-mass ratio, operating time and total mass are the ones I can think off the top of my head. And I agree the life-support system has an effect on some of those.

However the benefit is not quantifiable as per what the presentation did. It depends on all the other quantities. I mount a life-support system for Iris alone, the entire craft attains a certain performance. I mount one which can support both Mizuki and Iris, you need a bulkier system, the mass gets affected, etc etc, many other parameters get changed. Saying the operating distance "got doubled" will only apply to a specific set of sub-systems with a specific set of parameters. The writers' team probably took creative liberties here for narrative impact since it definitely sounds nicer and more measurable than "the operating distance has been greatly increased".

(Let's not neglect to remember that life-support also is probably a separate system from the propulsion system altogether, which is not under A-TEC's research purview.)

EDIT: I just realised that "top speed" also applies to the above. Please forgive me as I don't work in the aerospace sector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incest Emblem View Post
2. He specifically talked about being able to reach new resource asteroids toward the end of his paper presentation (around 5:15). This was an indirect appeal saying that they no longer need to go to war, because they can now more easily exploit distant asteroids rather than fight over close-by ones. This makes no sense if he meant duration rather than distance.
I agree that the script needs to be internally consistent in this regard. But I think engineering underpinnings have been skimmed over for simplicity and entertainment purposes, a la many a sci-fi anime title. I suspect someone saw this but left it since the conflict of the show's final arc would've whittled away into nothing.

Last edited by Ottocycle; 2015-09-26 at 07:26.
Old 2015-09-26, 08:26   Link #540
Tenzen12

I don't really think Nagisa feelings toward Iris (let's just stick with these names) is romantic per-se. Line between various types of love is almost never clearly cut.

He loves Mizuki romanticaly, that's obvious and he always did loved Iris though until this point he never had to put secific label on that feeling. So now he has to he ended troubled.

Well I believed Iris joined too late into game, but even if anime ended game is still going on, so I was wrong. I am fine with it

Good luck Mizuki, I am cheering for you.