AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

Old 2021-10-11, 19:34   Link #281
monsta666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsurin View Post
Even if we were going off the basis of "no sin cannot be forgiven" as Higurashi's recurrent theme, the final interaction between Rika and Satoko feels bittersweet at best, I'm not too sure there's much forgiveness to be felt in a goodbye that's basically akin to "I'm staying away from you for a bit otherwise we're going to kill each other again".

Going by Ryukishi's interview, I do get what he was trying to get at, but the execution was poorly handled at best, outright terrible at worst. Saikoroshi-hen had a much better approach at ending the anime with a happy ending that still had a morale to add to the story previously.
Adding to your point, whilst I can sorta see how people can find the final message that "all sins can be forgiven" a good one the big flaw I see was it missed a key detail. Forgiveness can be given yes, but an important part of this process involves the part of redemption. A person who commits a crime must redeem themselves in some manner either through punishment, remorse or good deeds to counter the bad acts they made. Only once a form of redemption has been made can one be forgiven. Forgiveness has to be earned in some measure. Satoko never redeemed herself in any satisfactory manner.

If the author had highlighted and put a redemption arc of sorts then the message he wished to convey would have been way more powerful. As it is, Satoko never really apologised for her sins and this made the ending message seem hollow even fake. Or at least it felt hollow for me.
monsta666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-15, 18:56   Link #282
MCAL

https://web-ace.jp/youngaceup/contents/1000188/

First Chapter of Higurashi Jun (Though apparently now its Meguri?) came out.
Spoiler for Chapter 1:

Spoiler for Chapter 2:

Last edited by MCAL; 2021-11-13 at 21:41.
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-16, 18:10   Link #283
Gerard07

Has there been any more news on the franchise (besides Satokowashi)? And the other thing, can we continue to use this topic to talk (about the manga) of Higurashi or will we have to create a new one?.
Gerard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-16, 19:25   Link #284
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard07 View Post
Has there been any more news on the franchise (besides Satokowashi)? And the other thing, can we continue to use this topic to talk (about the manga) of Higurashi or will we have to create a new one?.
There is already a thread for the Higurashi manga discussion. Why do you want to not use the existing thread?

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-16, 20:51   Link #285
Gerard07

Oh, I didn't know him, thank you.
Old 2021-11-25, 14:44   Link #286
Gerard07

It seems that there is already news of the new manga, although it is something different than what I imagined (although I have to talk about it on another topic). Just out of curiosity, how did the anime fare in sales? I guess that's okay, as the franchise continues.
Old 2023-10-01, 07:37   Link #287
Jc1

I've been a fan of Higurashi for over a decade now and Sotsu feels like such a let down. Gou had a lot of flaws but it was still okay to me but Sotsu is just pretty much a recap of Gou episodes but as seen through the villain's eyes. The conclusion was so bad too because Satoko never learned anything at all and she wasn't punished nor redeemed. It's weird that Rika eventually just forgave her after knowingly sending her back to her hell (June 1983 in Hinamizawa). But it's probably because Rika isn't really alone anymore and there is someone else who has the same power as her now.
Jc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-10-01, 08:00   Link #288
sierra117
Harem Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jc1 View Post
I've been a fan of Higurashi for over a decade now and Sotsu feels like such a let down. Gou had a lot of flaws but it was still okay to me but Sotsu is just pretty much a recap of Gou episodes but as seen through the villain's eyes. The conclusion was so bad too because Satoko never learned anything at all and she wasn't punished nor redeemed. It's weird that Rika eventually just forgave her after knowingly sending her back to her hell (June 1983 in Hinamizawa). But it's probably because Rika isn't really alone anymore and there is someone else who has the same power as her now.
I recommend read manga version, it actually change things to be much better than the anime
“If you were a logical person with refinement then it was obvious to prefer matureness over immatureness, abundance over lacking. Lolita complex is a mental illness, everyone. I hope you are able to go to your nearest mental hospital and get a suicide check-up.”
-Dantalian, Dungeon Defense-
sierra117 is offline   Reply With Quote