AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2021-11-07, 14:33   Link #1141
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
I thought they explained themselves pretty clearly in the episode. If they just sat back and took it easy, letting someone else take all the risk and do all the fighting, they'd consider themselves no better than the white pigs. It's not resignation. It's pride.

And like it or not, they are the best choice for this crazy mission. Shin knew it from the moment they described it to him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
The 86 have nothing but their pride. They make that clear a number of times. They won't sit down and let someone else do the fighting for them. That's the tragedy of what happened to them because that means they'll likely never find peace, and they don't accept pity or one-sided sympathy well either.
I get why they feel that way, but to be honest it comes off like they're barely really living and can't really fathom what it means to live outside the battlefield and not in a life-or-death situation. Even after leaving the Eighty-Six sector it's all they really know, and they can't leave that behind them.

Even Shin, their Reaper, is finally starting to crack with nothing keeping him going but guilt and not knowing what else to do with himself. It's why Frederica is so terrified he'll become another Kiriya.

Their pride is an excellent motivator and I can understand why they don't want to seem weak or like the Republic, but it also feels like armor trying to hide how traumatized they really are.
Old 2021-11-07, 19:08   Link #1142
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The story doesn't focus much on the others but I think they all feel empty and guilty after everything they've gone through.

But yeah, I guess things with the Federacy aren't so black and white. It was mostly the soldiers giving the 86 the evil eye that irked me, them being sent on a suicide mission makes sense pragmatically. It's exactly as they said: they're the ones with highest chance of succeeding and the only ones who won't be missed by anyone, making them the perfect choice.
Old 2021-11-07, 19:38   Link #1143
Yazi88

Its PTSD with these 86 survivors.

Even when they were "relaxing" in the Federacy, we can still see them being haunted by their past. Especially during the military parade.

They know the severe threat of the Legion and they cannot be at peace while the Legion slowly making advances, despite the efforts of the Federacy.
Yazi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-07, 22:21   Link #1144
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

The next episode is delayed by the much-dreaded "production issues." Instead, we get a "visual commentary" episode, whatever that is.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-07, 23:27   Link #1145
Yazi88

It also does not count as a numbered ep, like the special after the last ep of season 1.

Sometimes these things happen. If it means they need more time to animate stuff, so be it.

I can wait a extra week. Production values on this show is great.
Yazi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-08, 02:40   Link #1146
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
The next episode is delayed by the much-dreaded "production issues." Instead, we get a "visual commentary" episode, whatever that is.
A "visual commentary" is code for recap episode. We'll get clips from past episodes with character voicing over them about what happened up until this point in the story. Happens whenever a show gets hit with production problems.
Old 2021-11-08, 06:58   Link #1147
carmolita

I expected this to happen, there goes my hope for an anime-only episode The anime is true to the novel for the most part and the remaining material of this book is action based/ action packed, they can finish it in another 3 or 4 episodes tops. They really can't include much if any info from book 4 because it's another arch. I can't wait to see how this all plays out. I enjoyed seeing the side characters animated because I finally got to see them in action and was glad to see Shinden and Shana animated.
If they choose to continue the series they have all the important and side characters animated.
carmolita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-08, 07:33   Link #1148
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
But yeah, I guess things with the Federacy aren't so black and white. It was mostly the soldiers giving the 86 the evil eye that irked me, them being sent on a suicide mission makes sense pragmatically. It's exactly as they said: they're the ones with highest chance of succeeding and the only ones who won't be missed by anyone, making them the perfect choice.
It's mostly just the commander and a few envious soldiers. I can't really find faults in the old man in their squad or their captain, nor I can find any faults in the president.

How old are exactly the main characters, BTW? Because in our world the Geneva convention establishes that enlisting 15 year old or younger persons as soldiers is a war crime.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-08, 07:53   Link #1149
sierra117
Harem Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
How old are exactly the main characters, BTW? Because in our world the Geneva convention establishes that enlisting 15 year old or younger persons as soldiers is a war crime.
Around 18-19
“If you were a logical person with refinement then it was obvious to prefer matureness over immatureness, abundance over lacking. Lolita complex is a mental illness, everyone. I hope you are able to go to your nearest mental hospital and get a suicide check-up.”
-Dantalian, Dungeon Defense-
sierra117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-09, 18:50   Link #1150
Ghostfriendly

"Responsibility without power; the position of the (female) eunuch through the ages." - Sir Humphrey Appleby, Yes Prime Minister

When an anime's female characters have more rank and power than the male lead, but are stripped by circumstance of any meaningful plot impact and left to wring their hands, you've got a certain type of anime. When they're characterised as crippled by emotional fragility, enthralled by a guy with a harem, morally compromised and/or the ultimate in weakness and indignity, a bratty child...then you most certainly have a trashy male wish fulfilment mecha series.

The two mecha pilot girls are schoolgirls-next-door with crushes rather than hardened soldiers, the team mom and tsundere who again have no notable will independent of the male lead. The heroine's 2nd season wardrobe change is a perfect example of the toxic superficial empowerment used in stories like this; her private personality is fragile as ever, and her public shows of resolution nothing but show, with less impact on the plot than ever. If she does save the day at the end, this will conflict entirely with the rest of the show, and not redeem it in the least.

Furthermore, the male at the centre of this fantasy is another 'ideal Japanese man' in the cool, calm know-it-all author's pet mould of Inaho from Aldnoah.Zero and those other chumps from Iron Blood Orphans/Classroom of the Elite etc. Many years after the novel and manga of Battle Royale satirised this ideal in the dispassionate, all-talented psychopath Kiriyama. In terms of light novel male wish fulfilment, this is the hard stuff; the indulgently tragic hero who is always right and always at the world's centre. There are some strengths of presentation that make this anime watchable, but the all-important characters are terrible as so many anime are these days.
Ghostfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-09, 19:12   Link #1151
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostfriendly View Post
"Responsibility without power; the position of the (female) eunuch through the ages." - Sir Humphrey Appleby, Yes Prime Minister

When an anime's female characters have more rank and power than the male lead, but are stripped by circumstance of any meaningful plot impact and left to wring their hands, you've got a certain type of anime. When they're characterised as crippled by emotional fragility, enthralled by a guy with a harem, morally compromised and/or the ultimate in weakness and indignity, a bratty child...then you most certainly have a trashy male wish fulfilment mecha series.

The two mecha pilot girls are schoolgirls-next-door with crushes rather than hardened soldiers, the team mom and tsundere who again have no notable will independent of the male lead. The heroine's 2nd season wardrobe change is a perfect example of the toxic superficial empowerment used in stories like this; her private personality is fragile as ever, and her public shows of resolution nothing but show, with less impact on the plot than ever. If she does save the day at the end, this will conflict entirely with the rest of the show, and not redeem it in the least.

Furthermore, the male at the centre of this fantasy is another 'ideal Japanese man' in the cool, calm know-it-all author's pet mould of Inaho from Aldnoah.Zero and those other chumps from Iron Blood Orphans/Classroom of the Elite etc. Many years after the novel and manga of Battle Royale satirised this ideal in the dispassionate, all-talented psychopath Kiriyama. In terms of light novel male wish fulfilment, this is the hard stuff; the indulgently tragic hero who is always right and always at the world's centre. There are some strengths of presentation that make this anime watchable, but the all-important characters are terrible as so many anime are these days.
I mean, I think the show is leaning fairly well into the idea that Shin isn't doing pretty well mentally and that, for all his effectiveness at fighting the Legion, it ultimately isn't doing wonders for his mental health.

Kurena has a crush on Shin but Anju's role plays more into the group dynamic than, say, Shin. Raiden's more of a team mom anyways.

Lena is still Lena at the end of the day but she has a much firmer resolve and willingness to do what needs to be done for a better end for everyone.
Old 2021-11-09, 19:37   Link #1152
Twi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra117 View Post
Around 18-19
I think Kurena and Theo are younger than that. Remember, they needed 5 years or so to get on Spearhead Squadron since they would be killed off by then, and both Kurena and Theo both look and act younger than the others, so they're probably around maybe 16 at present at the most.

And I think the Geneva convention went out the window in this world.
Old 2021-11-09, 19:57   Link #1153
Ghostfriendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I mean, I think the show is leaning fairly well into the idea that Shin isn't doing pretty well mentally and that, for all his effectiveness at fighting the Legion, it ultimately isn't doing wonders for his mental health.

Kurena has a crush on Shin but Anju's role plays more into the group dynamic than, say, Shin. Raiden's more of a team mom anyways.

Lena is still Lena at the end of the day but she has a much firmer resolve and willingness to do what needs to be done for a better end for everyone.
Shin's mental health has as little significance as Lena's resolve. Her contributions are pitiful in relation to her status and screentime, her decisions aren't made by a character but an idealised female heart created for male gratification, and her agency to direct the plot is non-existent. She isn't meaningfully the deuteragonist; Shin is the sole protagonist who directs the plot, saves the day and pays no price in terms of his mental health at all. It doesn't reduce his combat effectiveness or restrict his movements, it doesn't drive him to drink or destroy his relationships; everyone he cares about loves him. He's certainly not going to die before he finally saves the day. He exhibits as much emotion that we can sympathise with over his repeated bereavements as black plastic; an essential feature of his character type that makes it useless for anything but wish fulfilment and 'genius' that moves the story in whatever direction a lazy writer intends.

Credit where it's due, the interactions of the Spearhead platoon are one of the better parts of the series. The bad parts are just so much more glaring and representative of poor light novels and anime. Lena is a blatant female stereotype of the walking, talking heart made to serve and care for males, while Shin represents the toxic ideal of competence alone putting one man above all other men.

Last edited by Ghostfriendly; 2021-11-09 at 20:09.
Old 2021-11-09, 20:46   Link #1154
Frontier

Quote:
Shin's mental health has as little significance as Lena's resolve. Her contributions are pitiful in relation to her status and screentime, her decisions aren't made by a character but an idealised female heart created for male gratification, and her agency to direct the plot is non-existent. She isn't meaningfully the deuteragonist; Shin is the sole protagonist who directs the plot, saves the day and pays no price in terms of his mental health at all. It doesn't reduce his combat effectiveness or restrict his movements, it doesn't drive him to drink or destroy his relationships; everyone he cares about loves him. He's certainly not going to die before he finally saves the day. He exhibits as much emotion that we can sympathise with over his repeated bereavements as black plastic; an essential feature of his character type that makes it useless for anything but wish fulfilment and 'genius' that moves the story in whatever direction a lazy writer intends.

Credit where it's due, the interactions of the Spearhead platoon are one of the better parts of the series. The bad parts are just so much more glaring and representative of poor light novels and anime. Lena is a blatant female stereotype of the walking, talking heart made to serve and care for males, while Shin represents the toxic ideal of competence alone putting one man above all other men.
I mean, they're both the leads of the show so I think ultimately the important factor driving the story is their personal arcs and how they each interplay with each other in said arc. Cour 1 was about Lena's growth through her interaction with Shin (and by extension the rest of Spearhead), while cour 2 is focusing more on Shin's away from her.

I can't see how she isn't a proper Main Heroine when they all would be dead by now if not for her.

Shin is a really cool Mecha pilot but would anyone really want to be in his shoes? I don't see how he's wish-fulfillment at all knowing what he's been through and all the guilt and self-hate he seems to be carrying around. Fighting the Legion is the only thing he has going for him, and he can't really see a life for himself beyond that. None of them can, and that's why they can't really help him.
Old 2021-11-09, 21:46   Link #1155
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Shin's mental health has as little significance as Lena's resolve.
As a war story, the mental state of soldiers is part of the significance of the story, I'd say.

Quote:
It doesn't reduce his combat effectiveness or restrict his movements,
Aside from the fact that it drives to try to kill himself on the battlefield.

Quote:
Lena is a blatant female stereotype of the walking, talking heart made to serve and care for males, while Shin represents the toxic ideal of competence alone putting one man above all other men.
Lena is at her best when she's unlearning all the toxic crap her society feed her and all the shitty justifications her family and friends were using.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-09, 22:43   Link #1156
sierra117
Harem Seeker

Quote:

Lena’s role doesn’t look that significant because this arc sole focus was Shin and co. Originally her screen times in this arc was probably around 10% at best, most other scenes of her in the anime was extra anime original, we need to wait for the next and later arcs to see how significant Lena‘s role is for Shin’s character building and development and flr the whole plot itself
“If you were a logical person with refinement then it was obvious to prefer matureness over immatureness, abundance over lacking. Lolita complex is a mental illness, everyone. I hope you are able to go to your nearest mental hospital and get a suicide check-up.”
-Dantalian, Dungeon Defense-
sierra117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-10, 09:03   Link #1157
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

To me it's quite evident that Shin isn't at all the kind of character that the male audience generally identifies with.

Rather, he's the archetypal cool, brooding character, but slightly unhinged and somewhat broken, that a certain female demographic likes.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-10, 10:15   Link #1158
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra117 View Post
Lena’s role doesn’t look that significant because this arc sole focus was Shin and co. Originally her screen times in this arc was probably around 10% at best, most other scenes of her in the anime was extra anime original, we need to wait for the next and later arcs to see how significant Lena‘s role is for Shin’s character building and development and flr the whole plot itself
Lena's significance this arc is in her absence and the effect that has on Shin as much as it is her trying to fight for the Republic against hopeless odds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
To me it's quite evident that Shin isn't at all the kind of character that the male audience generally identifies with.

Rather, he's the archetypal cool, brooding character, but slightly unhinged and somewhat broken, that a certain female demographic likes.
I really am starting to see the point that Asato secretly wrote 86 as a Shojo romance when you think of the character dynamics between Shin and Lena .
Old 2021-11-10, 11:28   Link #1159
Twi

I finally did my review. Here are the changes:

Spoiler:
Old 2021-11-10, 13:07   Link #1160
Ghostfriendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
As a war story, the mental state of soldiers is part of the significance of the story, I'd say. It drives him to try to kill himself on the battlefield.
And yet he does not die. His friends, wife and children don't leave him, he doesn't turn to drink, he's still the only hero, which is all that matters, because he was never a human character, only wish fulfilment. This show has an effective sense of post-destruction melancholy and a strong anti-genocide message. Traumatic detachment is even decently expressed by the rest of Spearhead, but not Shin, because Marty Stus, war or no war, never have any connection to real humanity. Real wars are not fought by lone heroes with greater understanding than all the generals and greater strength than all the armies; Shin, Lena and the princess resoundingly sink this story from a war drama to yet another bad mecha anime.

Shin's suffering does not disqualify him as a wish fulfilment character; it is almost essentially that such a character should suffer greatly on the reader's behalf, so that they may identify with the indomitable hero who has so endured. I still prefer the flawed, fallen Slaine Troyard over the meaninglessly unfailing Inaho, and again, won't care about the mental health of a Marty Stu until it has material consequences, if then.

Quote:
Lena is at her best when she's unlearning all the toxic crap her society feed her and all the shitty justifications her family and friends were using.
Lena doesn't have any character development. She knows from the start that genocide is wrong, and spends more time mooning about that effectively doing anything because that's the kind of useless heroine she is. Saving the protagonist's life can be done by the most plot-insignificant and worthless character, as it was here (though there are worse heroines out there than Lena), and the help she gives Spearhead comes out of nowhere because she's spent too much time mooning to work for it. I've said before that her S2 redesign is not development, and any greater role she takes in future will not develop from her role so far, but conflict with it. She's not the kind of damsel in a tower that I'd care to have a greater role in any case.

Tags
harem, mecha, politics, sci-fi