AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-02-08, 17:27   Link #1061
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Anyway I'm not surprised the Haruhi movie managed to slip into the top 10 when I consider that there were probably a number of fans who bought more than one ticket (in one case 30) and that there were probably more tickets sold then there were actual seats for the week. In this special case the limited theatre release ought to only be considered a minor handicap that will test the "dedication" of the Haruhi otaku.
I don't think pre-sale tickets count toward the numbers as they do not have a date or time. You still have to trade those in for real tickets on any date. Also, the otaku aren't going to burn through those as you get bonus items if you go back later in the month.

As the pictures above show and 2ch comments indicate, there were really a ton of people and many shows were actually sold completely out.

Edit3: According to a 2ch post, there are approximately 44169 total available seats for haruhi per some unidentified period of time. (This was calculated a few days before it opened and thus would be a lower estimate as more show times were added. A quick math estimation brings up this would be approx 1840 seats per theater which at 5 showings a day would likely mean this is the lower bound on the 2 day max.)

Last edited by bayoab; 2010-02-08 at 17:47.
Old 2010-02-09, 07:03   Link #1062
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!

The movie's run in different cinemas extend well into April as mentioned before, so I think it's more of a 'tour the country' thing. If the initial figures keep up all the way, we might be looking at Haruhi doing real good at the box office. Keep in mind, some fans can't really afford to travel across the country for the initial screening so this might be possible when Haruhi rolls around to their part of the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takamura Mamoru View Post
Oh for the love of god, just because one person bought 30 tickets doesn't mean everyone is doing it.
That's just an isolated case, but the possibility of fans going back to watch it multiple times is very high. Especially those that had to go to the toilet during the 2 1/2 hour movie and missed some parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
Also, the otaku aren't going to burn through those as you get bonus items if you go back later in the month.
Is this based on prior movie experiences, or based on fact? Tough choice to make if you only have one ticket; be one of the first to watch the movie, or wait to get items?
Old 2010-02-09, 07:12   Link #1063
bayoab

Haruhi numbers still aren't available. However, other movies are available and based on those, Haruhi is estimated* to be between 70,000,000 and 90,000,000 yen.

*Estimated as about one sixth of Avatar's take and slightly over a half of Invictus (128730 viewers, 158,652,300 yen、319 screens in 2 days) based on this proprietary calculation which somewhat scales somewhat linearly to just under 90,000,000 yen.

A movie that does not appear in the top 10 had approx 31203 viewers and 40,543,500 yen total on 156 screens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edkedkedk View Post
Is this based on prior movie experiences, or based on fact? Tough choice to make if you only have one ticket; be one of the first to watch the movie, or wait to get items?
This isn't a "one" ticket thing. There is a "repeater" bonus if you see the movie once before 2/26 and then once after 2/26. (I don't know how much more specific the requirements are, but there is talk about another spike in viewers on 2/27.)

Last edited by bayoab; 2010-02-09 at 07:23. Reason: Formatting
Old 2010-02-09, 07:37   Link #1064
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
This isn't a "one" ticket thing. There is a "repeater" bonus if you see the movie once before 2/26 and then once after 2/26. (I don't know how much more specific the requirements are, but there is talk about another spike in viewers on 2/27.)
It's basically taking an old ticket stub that was on or before 2/26 on the 27th and you'll get a film bookmark from the theatre if they're cooperating with the promotion.

I'm still hunting the exact numbers as well. I had saw that scaling, but I'm waiting for concrete numbers. Thanks for estimating, it'll give a reference point until we get something more solid.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
Old 2010-02-09, 07:39   Link #1065
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!

Quote:
So the movie-watchers keep their stubs, and by presenting them and watching the movie a second time, they get items for their dedication?

Sweet marketing move. It's almost certain that the original fans will watch the movie at least twice, if not more.
Old 2010-02-09, 08:20   Link #1066
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edkedkedk View Post
So the movie-watchers keep their stubs, and by presenting them and watching the movie a second time, they get items for their dedication?

Sweet marketing move. It's almost certain that the original fans will watch the movie at least twice, if not more.
Definitely more. Remember, they're otaku, so they have to get one item to use, one for collection, one to sell/give to friends, etc... And plus, how many different bookmarks are there? One for each SOS member, right? That makes it at least 15 times after the 26th to get all the swag, and another 15 times before in order to get the qualifying tickets... Now we know why that guy bought 30 tickets... ^_^
Old 2010-02-09, 08:21   Link #1067
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

I just realised that if I lived in Japan my fanboy ness of Haruhi would've have like cubed.

Literally.

;_;
Old 2010-02-09, 08:59   Link #1068
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Definitely more. Remember, they're otaku, so they have to get one item to use, one for collection, one to sell/give to friends, etc... And plus, how many different bookmarks are there? One for each SOS member, right? That makes it at least 15 times after the 26th to get all the swag, and another 15 times before in order to get the qualifying tickets... Now we know why that guy bought 30 tickets... ^_^
The bookmarks are from a single printing of the movie onto film and cut into pieces. According to the official fansite, they are capped at one per person (though likely some scalpers will be able to get more).

Edit: According to Eiga the movie earned near 100 million yen this weekend.

Last edited by ultimatemegax; 2010-02-09 at 09:06. Reason: added new numbers
Old 2010-02-09, 14:10   Link #1069
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

Send a message via MSN to AmyElizzabeth
What's 100 million yen in US dollars?
I fail at conversions...But It must be a big number..
Old 2010-02-09, 14:13   Link #1070
Animexcel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyElizzabeth View Post
I think 1 million US dollars

Old 2010-02-09, 14:14   Link #1071
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Quote:
At the current exchange rate it is $1,115,578.18. Divided over 24 theatres, that is $46,487.64 per theatre. No word has been published yet on average amount of viewers per theatre. Remember that these are approximate numbers. We won't find out the exact amount until later.

Old 2010-02-09, 14:14   Link #1072
Joe4evr
(Ex-)Seitenkan VN coder

Location: Slightly south-west of the exact center of this country's X and Y axes.
Quote:
About 1,12 million USD.
Old 2010-02-09, 19:07   Link #1073
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

I apparently have more free time than Kyon does. I have found the theatre capacities and amount of showings per day. I used the 1800 yen standard admission ticket as my average ticket price and came up with the average showing was 64.5% full. Here's my calculations (note, I didn't use any extra seats or include the possibilty of people in standing room only in my calculations for ease of comparison between showings) :

1. United Cinemas Sapparo - 470 seats (+4 Extra) - 5 showings (Max 2,350)
2. Forum Sendai - 96 seats (+1 Extra) - 5 showings (Max 480)
3. Cinema Sunshine Ikebukuro 426 seats (+6 Extra) - 6 showings (Max 2,256)
4. Wald9 - 429 seats (+4 extra) - 6 showings (Max 2,574)
5. United Cinemas Toyosu - 413 seats (+2 Extra) - 6 showings (Max 2,478)
6. Cinema Two - 396 seats (+4 Extra) - 5 showings (Max 1,980)
7. Warner MyCal Cinemas Minato Mirai - 248 seats - 4 showings (Max 992)
8. Kawasaki Cinecitta 532 seats - 5 showings (Max 2,660)
9. TOHO Cinemas Ebina 630 seats - 6 showings (Max 3,780)
10. Kadokawa Cineplex Hiratsuka 254 seats - 4 showings (Max 1,016)
11. Keisei Rosa - 311 seats in one 241 seats in another - 5 showings in each (Max 27,60)
12. TOHO Cinemas Ichikawa Colt Plaza 317 seats - 6 showings (Max 1,902)
13. MOVIX Saitama - 498 seats (+4 extra) - 4 showings (Max 1,992)
14. Kadokawa Cineplex Wakaba - 291 seats - 4 showings (Max 1,164)
15. Kadokawa Cineplex Tsukuba - 234 seats - 5 showings (Max 1,170)
16. MOVIX Utsunomiya 500 seats (+4 extra) - 4 showings (Max 2,000)
17. MOVIX Isesaki 508 seats - 5 showings (Max 2,530)
18. Century Theatre Eigaya 163 seats - 5 showings (Max 815)
19. 109 Cinemas Nogoya 256 seats (+2 extra) - 4 showings (Max 1,024)
20. Umeda Burg 7 441 seats (+4 extra) - 5 showings (Max 2,205)
21. Namba Parks Cinema 402 seats - 5 showings (Max 2,010)
22. Kobe International Shochiku-Eigakan 203 seats - 5 showings (Max 1,015)
23. Kyoto Cinema 104 seats - 5 showings (Max 520)
24. United Cinemas Canal City 418 seats - 6 showings (Max 2,508)

Total capacity 8,781 seats per showing. Total showings was 126
Max amount per day 43,061 For weekend - 86,122
Average ticket price was 1800 yen, max box office it could have brought in was 155,019,600 yen
Total was ~100,000,000 yen, so average showing was 64.5% full.

Edit: adding in the average amount per showing and per theatre (25 since Keisei Rosa showed it in two)
Average per showing: 5664 people. Average per theatre: 227 per theatre.

vvvTo be quite honest, it's not too bad overall. We'll have to wait for the official numbers to come out for the rest of the movies this week to officially compare.

Last edited by ultimatemegax; 2010-02-09 at 19:35.
Old 2010-02-09, 19:26   Link #1074
Solachinx
is a myth

Soooo.... is that good?
Old 2010-02-09, 20:21   Link #1075
Rungelunge

Please, can someone translate this? I just can't believe what google's translation says. :'(
Quote:
【超団長的総評】
では、総評的な感想を。
私は、過去に原作の小説を読んだんですが、かなり忘れてたので新鮮な気持ちで楽しめました。
作画クオリティが高いです。 十分な時間と予算があったんだろうと推察できる仕上がりです。
原作を読んでいて気になっていた「困ったときの長門頼み」を解消することが出来ていますね。
傍観者的な立場をとっていたキョンが、主体的に、自分の意思で選択して行動する。
その成長過程が描かれています。
また、今作は恋愛要素も多めに入っていますね。 面白かった。
今回、舞台挨拶まで含めて初日に見に行ったのには理由があります。
この映画は、涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱の集大成として製作されています。
かなり前から企画されていて、スタッフや声優からも、「この映画が最後の作品に
なってもかまわない」「このキャラを演じるのは最後かもしれない」というコメントが出ています 。
私自身も、ハルヒのアニメ作品はこの映画が最後になるかもしれないと、
そう思っていた時期がありました。
ってことは、、ハルヒの声優が集まる機会ももう無いかもしれないと。
なら、この舞台挨拶に行くしかないじゃないか。
そう考えて、舞台挨拶に参加したのだよ、かがみん。
最後に。
ハルヒ、みくる、長門の3人から1人選べるとしたならば。
私はハルヒを選ぶ、と言っておこう。
Old 2010-02-09, 20:46   Link #1076
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

It's saying that Disappearance will be the last Haruhi work produced or something, right?

Where's the source on this?
Old 2010-02-09, 21:15   Link #1077
aegisofrime
Yuki Nagato Worshipper

It doesn't make financial sense. I mean, isn't the Disappearance doing well despite the limited number of theaters showing it?

Anyway, I hope they are just trolling again, but going back to their trolling ways so soon after Disappearance... The Gods of Haruhi are cruel indeed.
Old 2010-02-09, 21:17   Link #1078
Skullator
Ism

The movie won't be the last Haruhi works, next.
Old 2010-02-09, 21:31   Link #1079
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rungelunge View Post
Please, can someone translate this? I just can't believe what google's translation says. :'(
Rungelunge, I'm confident that you read that from a blog. Would I be correct in assuming so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
It's saying that Disappearance will be the last Haruhi work produced or something, right?

Where's the source on this?
Kaisos, there is an article here that contains the cast response from the first cast greeting of the opening day. I've got the gist of what's going on (Koizumi's seijuu is absolutely hilarious and loves adult Mikuru) and it basically sounds like this was the climax of the first series. If I'm wrong, please let me know. Google translate doesn't quite work for that one very well with all of the names.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisofrime View Post
It doesn't make financial sense. I mean, isn't the Disappearance doing well despite the limited number of theaters showing it?

Anyway, I hope they are just trolling again, but going back to their trolling ways so soon after Disappearance... The Gods of Haruhi are cruel indeed.
asgisofrime, I agree that it doesn't make sense. There might be a new series with a new title since "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" was pretty much about the first novel up until this book. From here on, I got a sense that the mood shifts a little bit and as so, they may change the title of the work. Granted, this is pure speculation on my part, so don't take my word for it.

Old 2010-02-09, 21:42   Link #1080
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

That sounds suspiciously like damage control on your part, man.

If he heard it from a blog though, it's automatically crap until we hear something official.
Closed Thread

Tags
science fiction, shounen