AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-02-05, 23:08   Link #201
lavalyn

Thus ends our run to catch up.

After episode 15 (aired in Japan yesterday or so), it'll be one episode a week.

lavalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-06, 17:59   Link #202
davFunereal
Village watchman.

Episode 14 is wonderful. So far not a single filler, every episode smart and different..

Guess who was first to make a bow.
davFunereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-06, 18:04   Link #203
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davFunereal
Guess who was first to make a bow.
Not a major spoiler but still, just in case.

Spoiler:

Last edited by TronDD; 2004-02-06 at 18:06. Reason: Might as well spoiler it.
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-06, 21:16   Link #204
TheOneManArmy

I did a marathon this week and I watched the 14 eps in 5 days. I'm really enjoying the show, really deep and focus a lot on relationship (way better than thoses survivor reallity shows :P)

Anyway, spoiler ahead

Howard finally try to do something usefull (but fail at it), we he's still a clutz and a jackass, but at least he's starting to contribute to the group.

I really liked the momment when they ate that cute rabbitlike annimal, they needed it for survival, but even though the meet was good (well I assume it was) you could see disdaint in their faces (well except for you know who).
TheOneManArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-09, 19:28   Link #205
bwaugh

Send a message via AIM to bwaugh
Whew, I finally caught up to the end of this thread. I began reading it after starting the eps. 14 torrent and it's already 22% complete.

This show is suprisingly enjoyable. At times it lacks imagination -- particularly when it comes to the flora and fauna on this supposedly alien planet -- but it does a great job bringing the characters to life.

I was somewhat upset to discover that they crash landed on an island. I mean, it's Uninhabited Planet Survive! not Uninhabited Island on a Planet Survive! Maybe somewhere in the next 40-odd episodes they'll find some way to explore the rest of the planet... that would be interesting. But I'm not going to hold my breath.

Personally, I find myself disliking Shingo more than Howard. Howard may be a bull-headed bigot but Shingo is like a mosquitto that keeps setting him off. You can't change people like Howard by throwing their faults back in their face. Luna and Bell have the right idea, acceptence with a smattering of real-life criticism.

And if that doesn't work there's always the highly stylized graphic death scene option. Personally I would like to see Howrad devoured by a wild pack of kangaroo-creatures. That could be done without being too graphic. He's in the woods pretending to gather firewood. The little "hoppers" surround him. He falls onto his butt screaming. Close-up of a frenzied kangaroo with red, glowing eyes. Howard's hand, sleeve torn, sound of ripping fabric. Fade to black.

Bell's my favorite character so far. Quiet, strong, always looking out for everyone but himself--the sort of person who always gets the worst of life.

As for Sharla, I notice a striking resemblance to Akage no Anne's Diana. Somewhat dense... unable to come up with truly interesting names. She basically names the kangaroo creatures "hoppers", and then names that big tree, er, "big tree" and then calls their house "our house". Why does everybody in the show keep praising her? I'm just waiting for her to name the island, I'm sure that'll be a zinger. How about, "Unihabited Island" or "Sector D"? Ooh, ohh, maybe she'll get to name the Planet too!

"Round Planet!"

"Linoleum!"
bwaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-09, 19:51   Link #206
davFunereal
Village watchman.

That's all well and funny, bwaugh, but let's set the record straight on Shara.

She named the kangaroo creature Tobihane. Let's not translate it like morons; Tobihane sounds fine, not the same for "Hopper".
She named the tree "The Great Tree" by We Suck's translation.
She named it "Everyone's House" by translation. I like this name.

Shara and Diana (from Akage no Anne) would get along well I should think.

Now that that's out of the way, there's a reason I'm posting:
The planet is supposed to be similar to Earth. Early on it seemed there would be some real romantic thoughts about an entirely natural planet.

Undeniable themes being: their first sunset, pollution destroying the Earth.

There were heavy environmental themes early on (Howard bragged about hunting artificial animals, Shingo neglected exhaust of fossil fuels, etc, etc); now it's all about the characters. I wish they would bring that environmental stuff up again .
The planet should not be a wierd place with blue trees and pink water. That wouldn't work.
davFunereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-11, 20:48   Link #207
Firebat
I Love Anime

Ep 15 for We Suck is now out, go get it people!
Firebat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-12, 05:48   Link #208
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
...There were heavy environmental themes early on... I wish they would bring that environmental stuff up again...
I was thinking when Menori grabbed up all the eggs from the cliff-dwelling birds: great, this is only an island, how do you know you didn't just wipe them all out?

Of course, this is a show where they have managed to wear the same clothes for weeks on end already without anything ripping or becoming unbearably dirty. The ecology stuff if it ever comes back (and I also wish it would) may not amount to much; even in Chikyuu Shoujo Arujuna the strong ecology theme just got swept up in a bunch of nutty stuff about cheeseburgers vs. brown rice and magical powers.

Episode 15 was a bit slow; it seemed to take ages to get through the recap of #14 and then kind of stalled out at a critical point. It's nice that the plot is getting multi-threaded though; a whole episode about Shingo and his superiority complex would be a real teeth-grinder.
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-12, 08:21   Link #209
Soulfang
Inactive Member

This anime was good, then it got tired really fast.

I hope it gets better later, seems like they're just shelling out filler episodes now...
Soulfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-12, 10:13   Link #210
DemonEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulfang
This anime was good, then it got tired really fast.

I hope it gets better later, seems like they're just shelling out filler episodes now...

Fillers?...umm no
DemonEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-13, 01:33   Link #211
rcxAsh
Do you Gentoo?

(boo, this post now contains half the stuff that I originally wanted to say... browser just crashed for now particular reason, so I lost all my typing.)

Anyways, so, I finally caught up. Saw the 15th episode. Freaked by Luna hearing voices and the discovery of the eastern forest (and what it contains).
Spoiler:

Darn... now I have to wait for the rest... 52 episodes is really going to last me a long time, especially if they are only released on a weekly basis. 52 weeks = 1 year!!! Ahh....
rcxAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-14, 02:37   Link #212
bwaugh

Send a message via AIM to bwaugh
Quote:
She named the kangaroo creature Tobihane. Let's not translate it like morons; Tobihane sounds fine, not the same for "Hopper".
I stick by my moronic translation. The word tobihaneru basically means to jump up and down, or to hop. Not that I would expect anyone to use "Hopper" in a fansub translation. Tobihane works perfectly in that setting. But it means what it means.

Yes, I did stretch the other names a bit to make my point, whatever that was. But I think most people would agree that "Great" and "Big" are, in definition, the same concept, while "Our" and "Everybody's" are also similar in meaning.

Honestly I expected somebody would take me to task for not mentioning "Fairy Lake" which does show a spark of imagination. But still, it's nothing compared to Anne Shirley's "Dryad's Bubble" or "Lake of Shining Waters." Like Diana Barry, Sharla is a sweet girl, but she shouldn't be praised for creativity.

I have to say, episode 15 shows more imagination than I've seen so far, even with its oversized earth-type creatures. It seems like one puzzle has been solved only to reveal a deeper mystery. And I also like how they're weaving the stories together. They've been leading up to episode 16 for the past two episodes, letting Shingo's frustration build.

One more thing, did anyone else find that Howard was not quite as annoying in this last episode? I mean, he's still bull-headed, still doing stupid things to get the other characters in trouble, but he seems to finally be having some fun.
bwaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-14, 15:23   Link #213
Firebat
I Love Anime

Well he's not really having fun in a sense of the word, but he is becoming more of a team player, and trying to prove he's not completely useless. I think now he's come to conclusion they're going to be on the island for... well a bloody long time.

But he's getting pretty cool now, being more friendly to everyone, even showing concern like with the waterfall situation. All he needs to do is learn to take help from other betters, like when Bell saved his Bow and Arrow from the Boar. And he needs to stop screaming PAPA all the time, a man needs to learn to stand on his own two feet.

Can wait to see how his character grows as we go along.
Old 2004-02-14, 16:06   Link #214
Muir Woods
Disheartened and Retired

rcxAsh, those are very good and plausible hypothesis. I'm quite intriqued by #4 in your theory. Anyways, what does the lake have to do with telepathy? Anyone got a guess?

About Howard: He may not be as annoying as before in episode 15, I still hate him, DETEST him with a PASSION. My loathing for him will never end. The only way I can think of even beginning to like him if he maybe sacrificed himself to save everyone else's life. Either way, he's better off DEAD. No one's going to convince me otherwise. La la la la la la la la, I can't hear you.

Here's another new way to kill Howard: Hunt Howard for sport. Everyone will have a backpack full of rocks, and everyone will chase Howard and throw rocks at him until he's dead. He's not really physically fit, so Howard will eventually fall. Or they can do it the easy way: Tie Howard up from a tree, and simply stone him to death.
Muir Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-14, 17:34   Link #215
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

Alright... I called Howard a prick and other names several pages ago... but straight up, I've seen the light... I find him completely amusing now.... so we gots to squash the beef against him... he is great for comic relief...

rcxAsh --> just like Muir Woods, I like your theory 4.... that theory seems quite possible and it will be pretty damn nice if it turns out that way...
Old 2004-02-14, 18:21   Link #216
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muir Woods
...what does the lake have to do with telepathy?...
The water seems to be a conductor. The ship has plants growing from it which reach into the water. The lake is probably connected to the lagoon or whatever where the ship rests.

When is someone going to start up a fanfic site for grisly executions of Howard so that I can read this thread without getting Howard's blood smeared all over myself (._.)
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-14, 19:37   Link #217
rcxAsh
Do you Gentoo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Chronics
Alright... I called Howard a prick and other names several pages ago... but straight up, I've seen the light... I find him completely amusing now.... so we gots to squash the beef against him... he is great for comic relief...

rcxAsh --> just like Muir Woods, I like your theory 4.... that theory seems quite possible and it will be pretty damn nice if it turns out that way...
Thanks! Wonder what will happen... or, if I'm wrong, what else could be the significance of what she saw? hmm...

Oh, and my opinions of Howard, I also agree with you that he's great for comic relief.. In addition, his personailty adds to the akward group dynamics that makes the series more interesting. I mean, if there was no Howard to mess everything up and annoy people, there wouldn't be as much for the other characters to do! lol
rcxAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-15, 14:40   Link #218
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

I also see small traces of enviromental themes here and there, like how they exhausted their food supplies (fruits, eggs, fish) in a week, I mean, those fruit-bearing plants and birds and fish may have existed on this island for thousands of years, and now 7 humans come, and they are exhausted in a week, talking about destroying ecosystems...

currently the most boring character for me is Kaoru... he's just the typical "super cool and super strong and super smart and super handsome and super everything" boy... but then that's just relatively speaking, since this show really have a great cast of characters.
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-15, 15:05   Link #219
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

hehehe. I'm shocked to see my thread this alive for this long. But hey, we're talking about a killer anime here. I'm definately enjoying it.
Lord Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-15, 16:04   Link #220
Firebat
I Love Anime

ep 16 is out now... man We Suck are bloody fast, keep them eps coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden
hehehe. I'm shocked to see my thread this alive for this long. But hey, we're talking about a killer anime here. I'm definately enjoying it.
52 eps, one a week, that's a year isn't it? Man your tread is going to be about for a long time coming, they should really replace the Full Metal Panic forum with this, I can see many disucssions coming up as the series gets more deep.

Howard is a prick, that we all know. But without him being there the group would have it made to easy, and the show would suck lets face it. Now if only he hadn't wasted all the power in that energy gun by aiming poorly, then he would have most likely killed the boar!

dreamless is right, they more or less used up a lot of the area's food in about a week or two. Give them their due, Bell is the oldest at 16, the rest are around 12-14, now I'm 20 and I feel half the stuff these kids did would tired me out big time.

Really its no wonder they used all the area's food, it must have taken a lot of energy to put the house together, even with that Big Elepant thing they have helping them... what's it name again?

Anyways the metal thing in the forest most likely uses the water as a way of sending signals to Luna, there must be something special about her which allows only Luna to hear the voice.

Now then how can she hear it when running about in the Huge Forest, well most likely the closer she gets to it, the easier it is for the voice to communicate with her, even without the need of water, maybe use using the trees and the ground itself.