AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Tate no Yuusha/Shield Hero

Notices

Old 2022-04-06, 16:26   Link #21
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
Hmm.. I mean you can tell from the OP there's going to be a lot of new characters, but if you don't like Naofumi and Filo you're probably not going to have a good time.
I saw all of those new characters hence my question whether it's worth a watch or not if I'm only invested in the revenge plot back in S1.

Quote:
Though I respect your right to hate watch should you choose.
Hate-watching anime is a waste of time for me unless I'm invested in the franchise in general (which I don't think Shield Hero is much of a franchise I'm invested in). If I want a hate-watch, I can always turn on the news. My time is precious.
Old 2022-04-06, 16:33   Link #22
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdemon View Post
It’s not really stated in the anime, at least as far as I remember, but in the ln by being Naofumi’s slave, they get massive boosts in stats and exp. It’s one of the reasons Raphtalia and Filo are so overpowered despite not being heroes. Kinda like if a normal party member levels up they might get +1 to a stat but being his slave gives them +2
I figured as much when Raphtalia was talking about the positive benefits...it just felt kind of weird .
Quote:
Hmm.. I mean you can tell from the OP there's going to be a lot of new characters, but if you don't like Naofumi and Filo you're probably not going to have a good time. Though I respect your right to hate watch should you choose. I like Shield Hero specifically because its feels more 'epic RPG' than 'cookie cutter isekai'.
For some reason I really liked seeing Naofumi's status screen .
Old 2022-04-06, 16:40   Link #23
Estzero1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post

It's not so strange if you've watched Mahouka. In that show, we have a bunch of girls in the MC's party who are paired with other guys.
That's a pretty weak comparision if you ask me. Besides Mizuki, there is no one who fits this criteria. And even she and Miki aren't a really couple at this point, probably later.

What´s the answer to everything ?
Estzero1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-06, 17:23   Link #24
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estzero1 View Post
That's a pretty weak comparision if you ask me. Besides Mizuki, there is no one who fits this criteria. And even she and Miki aren't a really couple at this point, probably later.
When I said "paired" it doesn't mean they have to be formal lovers. The fact that they have feelings for other men or (there's an impression of) being closer to other men outside the MC is enough. And we have a bunch of them IIRC:

Spoiler for Mahouka chara relationships:
Obviously I dont read the LN, so I don't know the details of their feelings aside from what the anime showed/implied. Anyway, this is getting off-topic. So....let's stop.
Old 2022-04-06, 17:55   Link #25
Estzero1

I have to answer this, otherwise we can't finish this conversation, so I will keep it short.
3 of them are correct, but 2 of them don't really belong to MCs party. The last one is actually wrong but I get why people would think that way . This should wrap this topic up.

What´s the answer to everything ?
Estzero1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-06, 20:06   Link #26
Wandering Soul

You really have to wonder why the other heroes even exist at this point. If the OP is any indication, they really are just going to be useless again.
Old 2022-04-06, 21:30   Link #27
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Side note, I noticed something. Are there bandages under Keel’s shirt?
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-07, 05:24   Link #28
The Green One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Soul View Post
You really have to wonder why the other heroes even exist at this point. If the OP is any indication, they really are just going to be useless again.
To make Nafoumi look better by comparison.
Old 2022-04-07, 06:50   Link #29
magnuskn

Why would the writer have to at this point? Aside from being a bit brusque sometimes, Naofumi is a respected hero, runs his own area competently, is helpful to the queen and so on.

To me it seemed a bit strange that the three other heroes all got up simultaneously and left. It seems from my perspective as if they have their own plans which run in the background. The part about wanting to focus on the waves exclusively somehow seemed more of a contrivance than their real intentions.
Old 2022-04-07, 08:05   Link #30
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Why would the writer have to at this point? Aside from being a bit brusque sometimes, Naofumi is a respected hero, runs his own area competently, is helpful to the queen and so on.

To me it seemed a bit strange that the three other heroes all got up simultaneously and left. It seems from my perspective as if they have their own plans which run in the background. The part about wanting to focus on the waves exclusively somehow seemed more of a contrivance than their real intentions.
They changed things around a bit (Naofumi wasn't really supposed to have his territory until later) but the gist is pretty much the same, that the heroes 1. don't want to work together and 2. want autonomy from the kingdom.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-07, 09:15   Link #31
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

There is more to this story than just making Naofumi look good. If the other heroes were useless before, they will keep being useless until something happens with that. Does that not make sense?
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-07, 09:21   Link #32
Frontier

My takeaway after thinking it over was that the Three Stooges wanted to beat Naofumi to the Tortoise so they can get more EXP than him, which is why they acted like it didn't matter to them.

Fitoria keeps acting like it's important for all four Heroes to work together when Naofumi does fine just basically carrying everything with his shield. Was it like this with the original Shield Hero and she just doesn't remember ?
Old 2022-04-07, 09:58   Link #33
Twi

He hasn't been doing just fine. He's been barely scraping by. Despite my own beliefs about the narrative and how it bends to make Naofumi look good and my questioning why they hadn't locked the princess in a tower and bricked it shut, the heroes are the strongest people due to the benefits of their weapons, while Naofumi's party has only been able to match them because of the Slave-User Shield giving them increased stat growths because of course it does.

The waves are going to get stronger and Glass' party both helped them deal with the sea monster and then barely got routed the last time, so the tricks they pulled won't work a second time. The other heroes are the best bet they have working in tandem with him, but the earlier part of the series along with the fact that the King summoned all four when they were supposed to be split to handle the waves across the different areas have left them all underleveled and uncooperative to the point where Fitoria has been doing the heavy lifting off-screen.

The problem is she's making empty threats because you can't kill them and have the story continue, so it doesn't have much weight out of universe.
Old 2022-04-07, 10:18   Link #34
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
He hasn't been doing just fine. He's been barely scraping by. Despite my own beliefs about the narrative and how it bends to make Naofumi look good and my questioning why they hadn't locked the princess in a tower and bricked it shut, the heroes are the strongest people due to the benefits of their weapons, while Naofumi's party has only been able to match them because of the Slave-User Shield giving them increased stat growths because of course it does.

The waves are going to get stronger and Glass' party both helped them deal with the sea monster and then barely got routed the last time, so the tricks they pulled won't work a second time. The other heroes are the best bet they have working in tandem with him, but the earlier part of the series along with the fact that the King summoned all four when they were supposed to be split to handle the waves across the different areas have left them all underleveled and uncooperative to the point where Fitoria has been doing the heavy lifting off-screen.

The problem is she's making empty threats because you can't kill them and have the story continue, so it doesn't have much weight out of universe.
I mean, it probably is an empty threat, but I can imagine she could maybe put enough fear into them for them to clean up their acts...but I might be expecting too much of those three .
Old 2022-04-07, 10:29   Link #35
Twi

I'd personally like her to show up and beat all four of them into the ground to get the point across since the deal with Pope didn't do the trick.
Old 2022-04-07, 10:54   Link #36
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
Its more about the skills they gained while they were level capped; the heroes have high levels but their skill trees are basically empty. Naofumi's group (other than Rishia) is stacked because they had to work within their limits. They caught up with the other hero groups on levels at the island though.

Given all the new characters in the OP I wouldn't expect too much from the three stooges this season either. Maybe in S3... or S5...
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-07, 11:08   Link #37
magnuskn

Well, I agree that the show relied a bit too much on making the other three heroes stupid to make Naofumi look good, especially since he was in his edgelord phase during at least half of the first season. Since they presumably are out of the picture for the foreseeable time, it'll be interesting if Naofumi grows a bit without such crutches.
Old 2022-04-07, 11:21   Link #38
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I mean, it probably is an empty threat, but I can imagine she could maybe put enough fear into them for them to clean up their acts...but I might be expecting too much of those three .
I think the argument is more that the threat isn't empty from an in-universe perspective. It's just that the audience know she will never get to follow through on it because the story hinges on the heroes succeeding.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-07, 11:52   Link #39
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
I think the argument is more that the threat isn't empty from an in-universe perspective. It's just that the audience know she will never get to follow through on it because the story hinges on the heroes succeeding.
I get that. I'm just ready for it to sink in for the other heroes...
Old 2022-04-07, 11:57   Link #40
BWTraveller
Born to ship

I’ve said it before, but I don’t think the intent was to make him look good by comparison, but rather to note the problems with certain types of “hero” (both LN heroes and gameplay styles). One’s a loner who focuses on power, one is always just even when he doesn’t bother to think things through, and one only cares about making any woman near him happy. These all have connections to common heroic tropes, and we’re shown how bad they can be.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, fantasy