AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2014-11-18, 13:07   Link #1
Nerroth
NePoi!

The Flash (TV series)

I saw that a thread existed for Arrow already, and one for DC live-action series in general - but, unless I'm mistaken, I didn't see one for The Flash.

As with Arrow, this show is being broadcast on the CW in the US, on CTV in Canada, and on Sky 1 in the UK and Ireland:

Quote:
"The Flash" follows Central City Police scientist Barry Allen, an everyday guy with the heart of a hero and the genuine desire to help others. Standing still emotionally since the day his mother was murdered (and his father unjustly jailed for the crime), Barry was taken in as a child by the investigating Detective West and raised in a cop's home alongside West's super smart daughter (and Barry's dream girl) Iris. But when an unexpected and devastating accident at the S.T.A.R. Labs Particle Accelerator facility strikes Barry, he finds himself suddenly charged with the incredible power to move at super speeds.

While Barry has always been a hero in his soul, his newfound powers have finally given him the ability to act like one. With the help of the research team at S.T.A.R. Labs -- including billionaire visionary Harrison Wells, biogenetics expert Caitlin Snow and the eternally upbeat Cisco Ramon -- Barry begins testing the limits of his evolving powers and using them to stop crime, ensuring that no one suffers a similar tragedy to his own family history.

Working with his adopted father Detective West; West's conceited partner Detective Eddie Thawne and Iris West, who's earning her degree in Criminal Psychology, Barry uses his superhuman abilities to help the people of Central City and stop the rogues' gallery of villains -- many of whom have also been altered by the particle accelerator explosion. Concealing his identity behind his incredible velocity, Barry can not only accomplish feats faster than human comprehension, but also taps into an energy that allows him to access moments out of time -- both past and future. With a winning personality and a smile on his face, Barry Allen -- aka The Flash -- is finally moving forward in life ... very, very fast!
I've been enjoying the show so far, despite not being a big fan of the Flash in other media - and I'm looking forward to seeing more cross-over opportunities with Arrow.

Last edited by Nerroth; 2014-11-18 at 13:41.
Nerroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-18, 14:08   Link #2
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Love the show. Been watching it after finishing watching Arrow season 2.
Now i watching both shows according by air date first so i wouldn't accidentally spoil myself if there's a crossover.

Probably the best villain i seen is Captain Cold.
Old 2014-11-18, 23:17   Link #3
james0246

There are bits and pieces of the series that are starting to become a little annoying. I dislike how often the team keeps emphasizing how fast Barry needs to go to accomplish a specific physical phenomena (running up the side of a building, running on water, and most recently shattering steel, etc). I understand the idea of engaging the audience by showing Barry's progress, but since the solution is always to simply go really fast (with the tagline 'faster than you've ever gone before'), its kind of a pointless endeavor. Additionally, I am unclear how Barry is supposed to know he is going x number of miles per hour at any given moment, this is especially silly in the most recent episode "The Flash Is Born", when Barry knows not only his velocity, but also the exact distance he has traveled at any given moment (maybe he is using Google Maps on his phone whilst running?)

I'm also a little annoyed that Barry seems to be getting dumber as the series progresses. He started out as a genius level character (albeit something of a jack-of-all trades genius), commenting on a variety of highly technical topics, but lately he rarely solves any of the problems he faces, rather letting his Team come up with solutions for him.

The Team, though, is something of a necessary evil. Beyond the fact that they create a sound board for exposition and plot progression, they also represent a comic's internal monologue, a specific trait of all comic books that is almost impossible to adapt to screen. Sadly, their abilities to solve problems limits and lessens Barry's own abilities. This is a tightrope that the show hasn't figured out yet.

Additionally, Iris is a just an annoying damsel in distress, and her continued blogging seems to be leading her to even worse encounters leading to continued annoying rescues (and now the Yellow Ball of Lightening is even directly threatening her). The show needs to really figure out what to do with her before she becomes a worse cliche than she already is. And yes, I know she is essentially Lois Lane-lite, but damn if Lois' feisty nature didn't make up for a lot of her relatively silly moments.

Despite my above words though, I really like the series so far, especially Jesse L. Martin's Joe who really helps to ground all the action and drama. Joe's interactions with Barry are often the non-action high point of every episode. Speaking of action, the show has been nicely choreographed so far with exceedingly well done fight scenes. Along that same line, the villains so far have been quite good, with Captain Cold easily leading the pack.

I'm excited to see just where the show will lead me, and this ultimately the only criteria that matters when watching dramatic television programs.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-18, 23:56   Link #4
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

^
Jesse L. Martin is a magnificent actor, I still remeber him from when he was in L&O with Jerry Orbach (may he rest in peace).

Last edited by SuitUp; 2014-11-19 at 01:06.
SuitUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-19, 11:23   Link #5
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

what is keeping me hooked on this series is the background. Who is Harrison?! i think the best theory is he's Barry from the future. that teasing about the past is the same recipe they used for Arrow, and "what happened on the island" kept audiences in the show for 2 season.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-19, 15:51   Link #6
monster

It seems likely that Dr. Wells is the culprit behind the murder of Barry's mom, which would further increase the likelihood that he's a villain. But the only reason I could think of is that killing the mother is what lead to Barry joining the police force and eventually becoming The Flash, which would be a sad revelation for Barry.

Soon, Arrow vs. Flash. I wonder if somebody close to Barry would die.

Spoiler for comic:
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-19, 16:05   Link #7
mystogan
The Lost Lamb

this series is great, the visuals and effects are great, plus i like how the action is includes using his superpowers mainly and not hand to hand fighting, that kind suits better in arrow.
the characters are interesting and likable and well acted. Flash feels like a nice positive hero, unlike arrow who is more of a dark hero.
each next episode of the series keeps getting better, with some of the best flash shots in each of them.
so far the villain are mostly meta humans, with the general being a political kind of villain and captain cold being a normal human and the best villain.

i very much interesting in present future something going on, at the tease the showed at the end of the pilot and Dr. wells being deeply involved in it.
Old 2014-11-20, 12:29   Link #8
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I think so far things are going well for the series.

I'm liking Barry's character and a superhero series that does have quite a few guys with powers showing up. Or just guys with awesome tech like a couple weeks ago.

It's interesting to wonder if Wells actually is the guy who appeared at the end or someone else. The timing is pretty darn good and Wells is one of the few who would know about the current investigation. And yet he did just help clear some suspicion from him so seems like an odd move.

Either way it's just weird this guy is just making threats to try and stop the investigation rather than just killing the Detective outright.
Old 2014-11-20, 12:41   Link #9
Neki Ecko
Dancing with the Sky

Send a message via Yahoo to Neki Ecko
I am still going with Dr. Wells as Pariah theory because even if he was one of the reverse flash, none of them was smart enough to built a dark matter machine.
Old 2014-11-20, 14:25   Link #10
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neki Ecko View Post
I am still going with Dr. Wells as Pariah theory because even if he was one of the reverse flash, none of them was smart enough to built a dark matter machine.
Yeah, ever since you brought that up a few weeks back it's become my #1 theory. I really like it, and it just feels better than there being two Reverse Flashes this early in the game.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-20, 19:06   Link #11
Nerroth
NePoi!

Old 2014-11-21, 02:00   Link #12
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerroth View Post
That's potentially entertaining though not sure why those two would be needing to fight each other.
Old 2014-11-21, 02:46   Link #13
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
That's potentially entertaining though not sure why those two would be needing to fight each other.
As I said earlier, I'm thinking someone close to Barry will die or something like that, making him snap and needing Oliver to get him back on track.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-21, 09:05   Link #14
GDB

The official synopsis is
Spoiler for Synopsis:
Old 2014-11-21, 11:29   Link #15
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Ok that does make sense from what was actually said during that teaser. Barry's attitude seemed pretty abnormal compared to what we've gotten so far.
Old 2014-11-21, 11:38   Link #16
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

Am I supposed to believe that Green Arrow stands the slightest chance against the Flash?

Last edited by SuitUp; 2014-11-21 at 11:51.
SuitUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-21, 11:48   Link #17
GDB

I can only imagine Team Flash gives Ollie something to counter Barry, or Barry subconsciously holds back.
Old 2014-11-21, 12:56   Link #18
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuitUp View Post
Am I supposed to believe that Green Arrow stands the slightest chance against the Flash?
Well this isn't fast as light Flash so Arrow has a better chance now than in a few seasons .
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-21, 16:12   Link #19
Frontier

In Arrow's defense, he's been active as a Vigilante (if note necessarily as a Superhero) a lot longer than Flash has and is much more experienced. And whatever threat Ollie can't take head-on or overpower, he usually finds a way to outmaneuver or outsmart when they least expect it, which will probably be a lot easier to do with Barry not in a right state of mind.

Not to mention he has plenty of Trick Arrows at his disposal .

Heck, Captain Cold doesn't have powers either and he's the first and so-far only villain Flash hasn't been able to catch (yet). Even with the cold gun, the main reason Snart was able to beat Flash was by using Barry's desire to save others against him and then using that to stay one step ahead.
Old 2014-11-21, 16:47   Link #20
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

After making that post I was going to do another with the numbers proving that Arrow would indeed get his shit wrecked, then I did the math and it turns out Barry is so goddamn slow (for a speedster) that is not utterly impossible (maybe Arrow survives 4 or 5 out of 100 battles) for Arrow to defend himself (if they should start separated by a distance of say, 200 meters and Arrow being given prep time)...
That being said, there's no trickery to save you from pure speed unless you have been given a heads up and time to prep, or you're far more ruthless than the user (in this case, dorky doofus Barry, who could very possibly remain invinsible by killing with the first hit, as the Flashes are capable of doing)..

Tags
the cw, the flash, time travel