AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-09-11, 15:15   Link #241
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

I don't think Raika wasn't exactly shipping for Utae/Taketo, more or less just found out about their sudden development and feels bad for Utae. But then you may be right later on and Raika may confront Taketo about this and it will be the conclusion of the love triangle.
Old 2011-09-11, 15:43   Link #242
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

She did the same thing last week - looked daggers at Taketo when he didn't respond to Utae's advances. I think it may be more than just feeling badly for her - there may be active intervention.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-11, 21:06   Link #243
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Utae she was just so cute in that kimono and hotter in that towel

Was that wall hold up by duck tape
Old 2011-09-12, 07:46   Link #244
BladeEntity
Anything's Possible
*Author

One of my favourite things about this show has to be the characters, with such a huge range of likable characters and have all great chemistry and sort of mix very well together it brings out the humour better.

Ritsu has to be one of my favourite characters so far... the humour he brings is pure genius and adds another side to a harem that I rarely see. Oddly while I expected a harem it got limited to a love triangle which has lots of tension and suspense making it very interesting to watch.

Taketo is an idiot but then again it is a trait of almost all shounen MCs so can't complain there expected that from the start.

Honestly this is why I hate harems/love triangles especially when all the potential girls are well so likable. Really hate it... I normally try to not have favourites cause you can't expect anything. (I still have fond memories on how Love Hina ended when I think of good harem endings IMO)

Utae is a great character who I would easily support but it's very hard against someone like Narukara in the picture, since she is the vulnerable kind and the type of character you would want to support. Like seeing her crashed would be very saddening, the type of person that is extremely huggable like a teddy bear. The kind you just want to comfort. (But she seriously needs to learn a new song)
Old 2011-09-14, 13:41   Link #245
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

I get a feeling Utae doesn't want to go for second place with Taketo, but as much as he likes her, he only has Fukune on his mind. Still, I like how Utae tries to seduce him without being overly aggressive about it.

As for Fukune, is that the only song she knows how to play? And what did her father tell her? Either way, I don't think her dropping her clarinet was a response to him wanting her to play, I think there's more to it than that. I'm almost expecting her to say she'll be quitting that school (perhaps daddy thinks she's not performing well enough) and can't see him anymore.
Old 2011-09-15, 09:50   Link #246
tsunade666

For me it's more like Fukune was confuse on what to do anymore. She doesn't even recognize her own music.

Utae is just pure lovable but too bad for her. Taketo only speaks of Fukune while they are talking with each other. It feels like stabbing her again and again when he mentions Fukune's name.
Old 2011-09-17, 13:24   Link #247
Midonin
Last Engage

R-15 11 - Rated żĄ For 861, Blood, Sweat and Ink Splattered Lyrics, The Money of Soul and the Control of Possibility, Mild Cheering Routines

Fukune's omelet rice looked like the kind of thing one would be served in a diner in hell. Black and red as a color scheme just don't conjure up anything else unless it's accentuated by other colors. But black and red was not only on Fukune this episode, but Taketo too. Seeing the both of them repressing their special talents, afraid of how the others would react, was hard to watch, even knowing that it's episode eleven out of twelve and they will come out okay. And the episode had some funny moments sprinkled throughout to lighten the pace, with Ran and Ritsu's money making game coming to mind. They may have a million dollars, but it's not a million dollars. The distinction is very important.

I will say I'm looking forward to the finale. Tawdry songs and the soft melodies of the clarinet come together, and open up a new frontier!
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-17, 19:15   Link #248
Mairsile
Athletic girls are sugoi!

"The music chooses you" and "What's my music." Judging by Fukune's actions (dropping her instrument to embrace Taketo), it seems she realized what's more important to her - Taketo.

Last edited by Mairsile; 2011-09-17 at 20:05.
Mairsile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-17, 20:23   Link #249
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Taketo had Narukara in his and in his bad the whole night and he did nothing again! Well seems her father made her quits school since she froze during her concert. Lol Ran and Ritsu didn't make any cash. Good thing Raika was able to turn Taketo around, hopefully he writes his true lyrics. Wonder if Narukara will play her clarinet.
Old 2011-09-17, 23:03   Link #250
tsunade666

The story is really making an unexpected turn for me. From the first few episode with lots of fanservice stuff. It turn into melodramatic with the long triangle that won't speak up with each other. Utae leaving Taketo alone and Taketo doing nothing at all while Fukune was sleeping and in the morning he keep saying the same thing that leads to Fukune running away and starts to shut in inside her own room. The fanservice part is still there but the story development is massive. Even the cheerleader girl that looks like an extra gets a development for noticing the problem of Utae and even cheering her up. Ritsu and Ran helping each other turn into fail and the whole class practicing for the upcoming final battle. Raika is also around watching and taking pictures. Plus she give an advice to the always running away Taketo which leads into Taketo finally writing the needed lyrics for the song.
Old 2011-09-18, 02:29   Link #251
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Another solid ep, setting up what should be a great finale. A love triangle where I'm rooting for both girls, and genuinely like all three parties. What a shocker.

Utae is a great character, and her "If it were me I could be with you forever" was as heartbreaking as her lonesome karaoke last week. I've rarely seen "the other girl" get so much development - maybe more than Fukune - but it's hard to see this pulling any other way than towards a Fukune end.

As for Taketo, it's hard to blame him for not wanting to say anything to Fukune after the way he was ostracized in middle school. I thought it was incredibly sweet the way she ran to him for comfort when she was desperate and hid in his room not telling him anything - and the way he sat and smiled at her all night. Yes, they're awkward around each other - but that awkwardness and shyness feels very authentic and real for 15 year-olds.
Old 2011-09-18, 04:00   Link #252
EroKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I've rarely seen "the other girl" get so much development - maybe more than Fukune - but it's hard to see this pulling any other way than towards a Fukune end.
You could say the same about Mayo Chiki. Anyways, i'm still gonna hope for an Utae end even though it seems impossible
Old 2011-09-18, 04:12   Link #253
Nvis
Where are the good animes

Taketo making a big mistake here with Fukune. 1 last episode to back out!
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-18, 13:57   Link #254
HandofFate

for a clarinet genius, Narukara seems to only ever know one song...
Old 2011-09-18, 14:05   Link #255
sikvod00

^ Shhhh! Don't mention the elephant in the room!
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-18, 20:06   Link #256
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
for a clarinet genius, Narukara seems to only ever know one song...

As Bruce Lee said 'I don't fear the man that has practised 10,000 kicks once each, but the man who has practised one kick 10,000 times. Then again, a genius should be the kind of person that practises 10,000 kicks 10,000 times, though...

Anyway, the point about Narukara practising only one song, brings up something that has been addressed in this ep: Narukara not actually liking music. Back when she and Taketo were touring the city and they ran into that street performer, she kind of looked envious, since that person looked like they were enjoying themselves.

Also, I did always think her playing sounded kind of clinical.

I'm interested to see what happens next.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-24, 13:07   Link #257
Midonin
Last Engage

R-15 The Final - Rated XXX For Bathos, Robots, Trips To Italy That Hopefully Don't End in Extremely Convoluted Deathtraps That Cause People To Explode, Major Victories!

Bathos is probably one of my favorite effects. It's inherently silly, but can be profound at the same time. It's one of my favorite tools in these reviews, and also in this episode. The chorus competition exceeded my wildest dreams. It's the single classiest song about people doing it and how they're doing it I've heard, and considering the sheer number of songs on that subject, that's quite an achievement. Probably encapsulating what I liked about this show as a whole. The shows that stand out in any given season to me seem to follow a pattern.

The setting, the character names, the general archetypes, everything felt very eroge-like despite the series' roots in a light novel. But that's not to its detriment, I think. There was a very, how do you say, innocent sexuality to it (also like many eroge). At the same time, some of the themes and concepts brought up, the celebration of geniuses and doing what you love, as well as many people in the creative fields (Utae, Fukune, Taketo, Raika) all drew me to it. I find Fukune to be an interesting figure. She's just starting to come out of her hard candy shell to reveal the creamy center, and I don't know if I got that metaphor right.

The show was pretty solid overall, above average, I'd say. And like another show I enjoyed this season (Yuru Yuri), the cast largely consisted of newcomers, who, in a few years, may be fixtures on all the hottest shows. It's a celebration of budding talent, both in and outside the universe.

And that is a wonderful thing.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-24, 18:01   Link #258
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

This show is going to go down in the all-time anime top 10 for the largest gap between how great it is and how it's perceived. Absolutely stellar, fantastic ending.
Old 2011-09-24, 19:29   Link #259
Nvis
Where are the good animes

That little bit of clarinet playing was epic. Didn't know clarinets could sound that good!

Glad to see Utae hasn't given up yet. I'm still in her bandwagon.
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-24, 19:42   Link #260
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Finale and Series review:

Banzai, peace!

Tags
comedy, ecchi, romance, shounen