AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-04-18, 17:09   Link #1
Ambience Blue
Fate/Stay Delight

Kanon vs. Da Capo (which one should I watch)

Srry admin if this isn't the right place for this thread (so feel free to move it). I haven't watched either series and was wondering what people might suggest.

I finished KGNE a bit ago and am in that middle-ground-let's-stall-with-Fumoffu moment. On threads all over the place I'm hearing about Kanon and Da Capo (esp. about them being similar to KGNE) and was wondering if people could go into a little more depth on each series. From what I've heard and read so far the two series seem to have almost the exact same premise and I'm curious as to which is better and what the differences are, before I begin.

If it helps, I really liked KGNE and Green Green, as well as Fumoffu (who doesn't?)

Thx everyone
Old 2004-04-18, 18:06   Link #2
Griffith

I've never seen any of those shows except for Da Capo, but I really enjoyed it. The first half of the series is more comedic and light-hearted, but the second half is more serious and is a bit dark.
Old 2004-04-18, 18:20   Link #3
7thMethuselah

Da Capo : Basically a highschool romance story about one boy and the women around him who all have something going for him. One day, Junichi's cousin and childhood friend, Sakura Yoshino came back from America all of a sudden. To Junichi's surprise, she looks exactly the same as the girl that moved away six years ago, and hasn't aged one bit. And she came back to remind Junichi of their childhood promise... She's still in love with him, but what about Junichi's sister, she seems to have feelings towards him as well. It is a bittersweet tale of magic, love, hidden desires, and unattainable dreams.
First half is rather light, most characters get introduced here and not too many heart breaking episodes. The second part however is very tragic and dramatic and something you can't stop watching. Also every episode has 15 minutes of actual story and 5-7 minutes of a filler episode/music video. just SKIP these completely and come back to them later, Absolutely nothing happens that is in any way related to the story.

Kanon : Boy returns to live with his aunt after being away for 7 years. He meets several girls he knew before but he doesn't remember any of them, the story revolves about current and previous things that happened between him and them. Heartwarming, at times depressing , a touch of magic but very beautifull.
Again in the first episodes we get introduced to all different characters but you have no idea what their backgrounds are or their connection to the main character. This seirs is very serious from the first episode. Story really gets going in ep 3 or so, the two ep before are introduction. Make sure to watch the first 5 minutes of episode one directly after finishing episode 13 !

To compare : Kanon starts seriously straight away, and is a bit confusing at first. Da Capo starts out lightly as a regular high school romance/comedy anime. The really dramatic KGNE parts only start between ep 12-15 but from that moment on it's beautiful. Also Da Capo is a triangle relationship just as KGNE was while Kanon never feels that way (this is due to the nature of the girls introduced but that is part of the series ).

I recommend .... both but if you want pure drama take kanon first, if you don't mind a lighter start after which the serious part begins then pick Da Capo. If you really wanna have another triangle relationship like KGNE Da Capo seems the better choice.

PS While both are very good romance/drama I think the Kanon ending was better (but this is only my opinion)
PēS Keep in mind that contrary to very realistic KGNE these two anime have a (slight) touch of magic in it which is essential to the story.
Old 2004-04-18, 19:21   Link #4
Lina Inverse
SL Aki fanclub president

I haven't seen Kanon yet, but I'm currently seeing Da Capo an liking it a lot, so Ican only recommend it
See also my new signature below.
Old 2004-04-18, 22:12   Link #5
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thMethuselah
I recommend .... both
Absolutely! I'd be really hard-pressed to pick only one - you really should watch both! If I had to pick one to watch first, though, I'd probably pick Kanon - in part because of it's shorter episode count, it feels like a tighter story. Also, maybe it's simply because I watched it first, but it feels like more of a classic to me. That being said, definitely don't miss out on either one if you like this genre. Both of these are right near the top of my all-time favorite anime list.
Old 2004-04-18, 22:18   Link #6
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
To me, Kanon is good if you want to get a show that's not full of gags (which is not necessarily bad). However, Da Capo (as far as I've seen (5 eps)) has more comedic moments (and more fanservice).
Old 2004-04-18, 22:28   Link #7
TronDD
Team the box!

Kanon is the most impactful show I've ever seen. I've never cried harder in my life. I watched the show knowing absolutly nothing about it and was not prepaired for it. I've been scarred since.

Da Capo is similar but a lighter story. Still good drama but not as deeply scarring.

I also recommend them both for any drama / romance fan. But if I had to pick one, it'd be Kanon.
Old 2004-04-19, 09:51   Link #8
Sakuba
Student of the Fung Huo

although i haven't seen kanon, Dacapo was actually aright. and i reckon you should watch both
Old 2004-04-19, 10:27   Link #9
lavalyn

I think the avatar speaks my opinion quite well here :P

I like Kanon more mainly because it completely removes all the innuendo distraction. The amount of comic relief really was minimal. It's to the point. Raw.
Old 2004-04-19, 10:38   Link #10
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

I seen both Kanon and Da Capo and both are very good animes so if you see one you must see the other. However, I'm leaning towards that you should watch Kanon first.
Old 2004-04-19, 10:52   Link #11
Shinobu_Maehara
eternal Shinobu lover

Send a message via ICQ to Shinobu_Maehara Send a message via AIM to Shinobu_Maehara Send a message via MSN to Shinobu_Maehara Send a message via Yahoo to Shinobu_Maehara
I like Kanon the most since the story is more packed. it's 13 episodes long and covers everything. Da Capo is twice as large but also very good.

The better thing (opinion here ) is that Kanon isn't sex joke, and ecchi related at all. Just a good story.

Da Capo clearly shows the oposite which isn't bad.... I guess

You should just see both
Old 2004-04-21, 19:26   Link #12
Timeless Enigma
Tsushima Masaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by TronDD
Kanon is the most impactful show I've ever seen. I've never cried harder in my life. I watched the show knowing absolutly nothing about it and was not prepaired for it. I've been scarred since.
I started laughing after reading that part. Kanon really had some impact, and I cried twice in that anime...

But hell, I cried once in Gundam SEED when something happened and I knew it was gonna happen, so I guess I'm pretty soft (or emotionally unstable).

The person who made this thread has probably already made his choice, but I would recommend both. I'd watch Kanon first since it's shorter.

It's actually pretty interesting, these three anime: Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien, Kanon, and Da Capo go pretty well together IMO. I watched Kanon first, then I think I started KGNE shortly after Da Capo.

I like them all, but I think the one with the most emotional impact was Kanon. The one with the intriguing drama was KGNE, and the all-rounder was Da Capo.

Last edited by Timeless Enigma; 2004-04-21 at 19:36.
Old 2004-04-22, 00:43   Link #13
BanditKing

Ok after reading all the post I have a question.

Does kanon have a happy or sad ending?

I download this series thinking its is just light-hearted fun not like second half of da capo or KGNE(which I both saw)

I really don't like sad ending which make feel down for while.I want to be joyful and happy person
Old 2004-04-22, 09:46   Link #14
Arwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditKing
Ok after reading all the post I have a question.

Does kanon have a happy or sad ending?

I download this series thinking its is just light-hearted fun not like second half of da capo or KGNE(which I both saw)

I really don't like sad ending which make feel down for while.I want to be joyful and happy person
Kanon does, depending on who you were rooting for.

Kanon sets up the series in the first few episodes, and then works through the storylines for the particular girls. There are a few sad moments, one in particular, but the series as a whole resolves on a postive note.
Old 2004-04-22, 11:10   Link #15
BanditKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwyn
Kanon does, depending on who you were rooting for.

Kanon sets up the series in the first few episodes, and then works through the storylines for the particular girls. There are a few sad moments, one in particular, but the series as a whole resolves on a postive note.
Ok at least its postive.

manys thanks
Old 2004-04-22, 19:24   Link #16
Timeless Enigma
Tsushima Masaki

The start is light, and the end is happy, but to me there were 2 big moments that had a lot of impact (which is where I started tearing up and/or sobbing) *gets nostalgic tears as he types*
Old 2004-04-24, 02:56   Link #17
Ambience Blue
Fate/Stay Delight

Haha, thx guys

Actually, I ended up watching Da Capo first. I'm around episode 6 or so now, and I guess the drama is kinda starting to pick up. It's still really random and Idk what's going on, but it's amusing. (kinda like GrnGrn + Kimi)

I have my reservations about Kanon still. I know I could prolly get used to it, but how does the artwork seem to you ppl? I've heard that it really takes some getting-used-to, and I'm not in the mood for a radical style change.

I'm pretty sure I will be watching both, but I tend to alternate my series (drama/comedy, then action/mecha) so I guess Kanon will just have to wait...

Thx for all your suggestions tho, really appreciate it.
Old 2004-04-24, 03:09   Link #18
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night

About Kanon, it's a really good series, but the parts of the story was changed due to the game -> anime conversion.

If you want the full experience, you should purchase the game. There's already a translation group working on an english translation, and a 40% patch is due to be out sometime next month.

Da Capo's story is mostly intact (mainly because it's a 26 ep series, rather than 13), though Moe's storyline was cut out (which really irritates me since they could have added her story in if they didn't make all those music videos/filler cat sequences).
Old 2004-04-24, 03:59   Link #19
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambience Blue
I know I could prolly get used to it, but how does the artwork seem to you ppl? I've heard that it really takes some getting-used-to, and I'm not in the mood for a radical style change.
I am not usually put off by variations in art styles. Kanon's characters definatly have strange faces. I was used to it by the end of the first episode. I was instantly captivated by the story and since I'm reading subtitles at the bottom of the screen, it made the transition to the art style easier.

The only show who's character designs took me a while to get used to was Visions of Escaflowne. Took me half the series to not just see giant noses moving around. Wondering if the characters ever stab eachother in the eye when they kiss or something.

EDIT: Glad to hear an newer patch is comming out for the game. I plan to buy it but it's expensive so I'm holding off until enough is translated to make it worth it. 40% is getting pretty close, I think.
Old 2004-04-24, 04:23   Link #20
BME
Belldandy Fanboy

Location: Stockholm, Sweden, Where Polar bears roam the streets
I think that Da Capo is better, because the main character in DC isn't a total dickwad like in Kanon.
Closed Thread