AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-04-02, 09:49   Link #1001
Goofus Maximus
Senile Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Male assistant damaged his shoulder first. Then there was a duel and Kiefer dropped the gun holding onto his shoulder. So I thought that he was shot in the shoulder.Then female assistant shot Karenbak. But I didn't catch who shot Kiefer.

I didn't think that Karenbak shot him there when he could have just killed him. Confused. Sad that Kiefer didn't get his revenge after all.
Unless his gun only went off after he was shot, so he missed where he was aiming, and just shot the arm instead...
Goofus Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-02, 18:55   Link #1002
jedinat

Eh, I didn't like the last few episodes so much. They turned the Ride Back thing into just some sort of stand-in for her dancing--like her ballet career was the whole point. Honestly, who actually gives a **** about her dancing? Ballet was just an explanation for her talent--her background--and should have stayed that way. The last episode especially made it seem like nothing really mattered except some sort of vague coming-to-terms with her having quit dancing. *yawn* Who cares? We're watching the show for the Ride Backs, and they hardly seemed to matter at all by then end of the anime.

There was also too much focus on the politics (and those side characters involved) without ever really going deeply into them, the result being a lot of screen time was wasted on events I was quite apathetic towards.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-02, 19:18   Link #1003
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Kind of late, but the last episode, especially Rin's RideBack dance was just beautiful!

I wish other studios just use this footage as a guide on how to direct action and integrate 3D (GONZO just keeps popping into my mind).

As for the whole series, it was quite nice and certainly (as well as thankfully) not another sport or mecha show. Though I have my reservations on how it handled its politics, it is certainly much better then the childish treatment audiences usually get (i.e. Gundam).

As for character development, taking into account that it was only one-cour, they did their best with Rin and none should expect more then that.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-02, 20:46   Link #1004
sunset
Twilight Impersonator

Thumbs up

Just finished watching the last episode and I must say that of all the shows Iīve watched these past few months, this is hands down my favorite one.

I particularly loved the way she found closure in the end, the choice for a stage in the very same location where Suzuri-chan was killed.
Itīs overall a deeply touching story about Rinīs rise from the ashes of her multiple losses with ridebacks and political maneuverings as a fascinating - but ultimately secondary - backdrop.

I find myself complaining a lot lately about how most of my favorite anime shows canīt seem to wrap neatly, the ending always leaving me wanting.

Itīs nice to see that Rideback didnīt follow that trend.
sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 00:36   Link #1005
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Checked it out a bit.

Not that interested in the series, but I do like how the GGP infantry tactics are combined with armored Ridebacks against BMA guerillas.

Reminds me of Tom Clancy's writings.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 01:46   Link #1006
sunset
Twilight Impersonator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofus Maximus View Post
I think this series would have been better served with 24-26 episodes.

That is my sentiment as well.

I wish they had taken the time to develop Goblinīs story, maybe show in greater detail what happened in Arizone or delve deeper into Karenbach:īs assistantīs background and what made her tick.
sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 02:23   Link #1007
Hedd
Random Object

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset View Post
That is my sentiment as well.

I wish they had taken the time to develop Goblinīs story, maybe show in greater detail what happened in Arizone or delve deeper into Karenbach:īs assistantīs background and what made her tick.
Believe alot of this would be involved in the second season should they decide to make one. I really enjoyed Okakura as a character, he had a nobility to him.
Old 2009-04-03, 03:19   Link #1008
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Read some stuff on the GGP in the Japanese site. It seemed that they started in 2012 with the BMA created as a response to it. Seems interesting they used Rideback to overpower all of the world's militaries, including the Russians and the Americans.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2009-04-03, 15:40   Link #1009
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

mmm.. beautiful. from what you guys were saying about the ending, i was expecting something else.. since they've solved the corrupt ggp problem, this arc is over, but i'm assuming we didn't cover all 9 volumes of material in 13 eps, so there's obviously room for a second season. unless the anime went and did an original ending.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 20:54   Link #1010
mdauben

RideBack started really great but the weak, muddled ending kind of ruined it. Too many loose ends, too much deus ex machina, too little real plot and backstory development. Too bad.
Old 2009-04-03, 21:53   Link #1011
Hedd
Random Object

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdauben View Post
RideBack started really great but the weak, muddled ending kind of ruined it. Too many loose ends, too much deus ex machina, too little real plot and backstory development. Too bad.
the key thing about these 12 episodes is the fact they're focused on Rin and to set the story setting. If they do a second season it will probably go into more detail about everything else, hopefully enough people ask these questions to promote a second season
Old 2009-04-03, 22:02   Link #1012
Jski

It really seems to me that this story is more about the dance then any thing else the conflict is nothing more then a back ground story. I do not know Ballet but i think they are story that are made to give a reason to use dance to tell a story so i think ride back may be doing the same. On a side note i think they where trying to reproduces a Ballet at the end i have no idea really which i do not know ballets.
Jski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 22:03   Link #1013
Ingram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay911 View Post
FWIW, Suzuri was carrying a giant blue flag as part of the demonstration...
I realized that when I rewatched, but I didn't feel like bothering with a correction to my post. ^_^;;
Ingram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 22:21   Link #1014
scr
my sides are in orbit

the ending is forced, and there are several wall bangers:
- why don't ya just shoot him, Romanov.
- why don't ya just shoot her, Grimoires.
- if you know that your underlings graduated from Imperial Stormtroopers Marksmen Academy, why don't ya do the job yourself, Goblin.
- etc....

also, the "evil thwarted and the world is good again" ending is definitely forced. GGP is too colossal a military industrial complex to reform itself. if i were the Japanese, i dont want them anywhere near my soil.
If there's a Final Fantasy game that I must put my personal seal of disapproval on, it's Crisis Core. I mean, just look at how this Genesis Rhapsodos dude is raping the canon. It's bad. As in, fanfiction bad.
scr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 23:37   Link #1015
Fevvers
a regular van veen

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr View Post
the ending is forced, and there are several wall bangers:
- why don't ya just shoot him, Romanov.
- why don't ya just shoot her, Grimoires... stuff
My sentiments exactly. The way the series started out being interesting and somewhat impressive made the ending even more lacklustre in my eyes. For the manga readers, how true is it that the source is much different from the anime? I actually think the series has potential, just bogged down with simplistic solutions and explanations.
Fevvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 23:40   Link #1016
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

i thought they were supposed to take her alive, which is why they didn't shoot to kill. they disabled Tamayo's rideback because she was behind Rin, so she should have been next, but they were riding away, and it seems they need to be in standup mode to shoot.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 04:23   Link #1017
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedd View Post
Believe alot of this would be involved in the second season should they decide to make one. I really enjoyed Okakura as a character, he had a nobility to him.
That prob depends on how much they take in on the clothing accessories, CDs, DVDs and BDs. You would have thought that with all those ridebacks highlighted at the end of each episode that a model builder would have been signed on.

He was the less expressive of the characters and got drawn back into a terrorist situation because of his love of ridebacks. He really didn't have that much common sense imo. If you're being hunted by the GGP, you don't have anything to do with the activity that will get you caught. I didn't find anything noble about him.
Old 2009-04-04, 10:16   Link #1018
tgramsam

Been lurking for a while now but decided to join in.
Not sure why - Rideback has really struck a cord with me. This is the only series that got me to download the raw as soon as it was available - just to get an early look at what happened. Bummed that it's over but not unhappy with the ending.

Quote:
That prob depends on how much they take in on the clothing accessories, CDs, DVDs and BDs. You would have thought that with all those ridebacks highlighted at the end of each episode that a model builder would have been signed on.
I'm not too optimistic about a second season. From the merchandising end there may be hope, if cdjapan is any indication, all the RB jackets and tees are sold out (or maybe they just didn't get enough pre-orders?). The first pressing of both versions of Mell's OP single are sold out. So some of the product is selling at least.

Figure collecting is not my thing but I could really go for a scale model of Fuego Hope someone comes out with one soon.

Quote:
He was the less expressive of the characters and got drawn back into a terrorist situation because of his love of ridebacks. He really didn't have that much common sense imo. If you're being hunted by the GGP, you don't have anything to do with the activity that will get you caught. I didn't find anything noble about him.
Didn't like Okakura at the start, then somehow he grew on me. Maybe because he turned out to be an odd combo of computer geek and thug;-)

I don't think he was being hunted by the GGP after all he used his real name when he was working at the school/club. It wasn't until after he started helping Rin that he became a target.
tgramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-09, 16:37   Link #1019
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Interesting that Rideback's intro credits are in English while the ending credits are in Japanese.

Old 2009-04-13, 00:43   Link #1020
arkxkra
全力全開

just watched the final episode, although the series not talk much on the story but overall was not bad, love the rideback movement done by Rin at the end of the episode.

Tags
madhouse, mecha, seinen