AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

View Poll Results: Should the British Remain or Leave the EU.
Remain 24 55.81%
Leave 19 44.19%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2016-06-23, 13:50   Link #1
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Brexit Vote

The British are voting today on whether to remain or leave the EU.

Any idea when polls close?

Last edited by Xellos-_^; 2016-06-23 at 14:22.
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-23, 13:55   Link #2
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
The British are voting today on whether to remain or leave the EU.

Any idea when polls close?
All I know is that we would know the outcome somewhere in half a day. But it really depends on how big the margin is. If the Stay camp lead by any kind of major margin early, I think we would be able to call it before 90% of the votes were counted.
Old 2016-06-23, 13:58   Link #3
Brother Coa
Banned

22:00 BST.

The final results will be known at 05:00 BST.

But let me tell you thin - stay or leave the EU unity is already shattered without any chance of repair in next decades.
Brother Coa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-23, 14:11   Link #4
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I voted remain as did the rest of my family.

I've never really believed immigration to be any major problem worthy of tanking our own economy by leaving. Lexit reasons for voting out have attracted me but ultimately the political situation in the UK means that the Right wing will benefit most and that doesn't attract me at all.

I just find it sad the we had this referendum for all the wrong reasons. There is a legitimate case to made of questioning our membership of the EU but immigration isn't it.

Last edited by Haak; 2016-06-23 at 16:14.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-23, 14:44   Link #5
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Putting aside for a moment the world economy thing, pan-European unity thing, dirty race-baiting campaigning thing, or Nigel Farage being a little bitch thing...

I will NEVER forgive any Leave voters if Leave wins today.

Do you know how bloody difficult it is to get a work permit through the English FA in Football Manager? It's insane as it is trying to get the amazing Colombian wonderkid through the work permit bullshit. It's like they're Nazis and we're all Jews. If I have to do the same thing for the Croatian wonderkid coming to Arsenal in the next FM I hope Scotland, NI, and Wales all secede, hell I hope London secedes, and Lizzie can preside over Dreary Toryland all she wants.

FM is IMPORTANT. This is not a game, guys. Vote Remain.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-23, 16:00   Link #6
RichardFromMarple

Leave never had any decent roadmap for exiting the EU, all it seemed to be about immigration rather than any reasonable points put forward.

I was going to vote remain anyway, but at no time did Leave make me seriously think otherwise.
RichardFromMarple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-23, 16:24   Link #7
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Of course there wasn't a roadmap for leaving the EU, the EU deliberately made sure there wasn't any when the union was founded. Leaving the EU was suppose to be impossible.
Old 2016-06-23, 16:38   Link #8
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

That's very true, but that didn't stop them from promising a very optimistic one full of hopes and dreams and fairy tales. XP
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-23, 17:00   Link #9
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Isn't anyone just plain curious to see what happens if the UK votes to leave? I know I am.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-23, 18:17   Link #10
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

not official but the Leader of UKIP has concede that Remain won.

Quote:
Ukip leader Nigel Farage has told the Press Association the Remain camp has won based on "what I know from some of my friends in the financial markets who have done some big polling".
Old 2016-06-23, 18:24   Link #11
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Yeah, the fact is the Remain camp was always going to have an advantage, because all the Undecided voters tend to maintain the status quo. The Leave camp needed to be at least 10% ahead in the polls to have any chance of winning, and they didn't get that. So barring crazy upsets the vote is done. The question is if the margin is big or not.
Old 2016-06-23, 18:54   Link #12
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
not official but the Leader of UKIP has concede that Remain won.
He should leave politics for the better good as well. The world is better off without politicians like him who feed on bigotry and other unconstructive rubbish.
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-23, 18:55   Link #13
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
Putting aside for a moment the world economy thing, pan-European unity thing, dirty race-baiting campaigning thing, or Nigel Farage being a little bitch thing...

I will NEVER forgive any Leave voters if Leave wins today.

Do you know how bloody difficult it is to get a work permit through the English FA in Football Manager? It's insane as it is trying to get the amazing Colombian wonderkid through the work permit bullshit. It's like they're Nazis and we're all Jews. If I have to do the same thing for the Croatian wonderkid coming to Arsenal in the next FM I hope Scotland, NI, and Wales all secede, hell I hope London secedes, and Lizzie can preside over Dreary Toryland all she wants.

FM is IMPORTANT. This is not a game, guys. Vote Remain.
Yes, which would protect a lot of young talent being wasted. To protect football the EU should kick the UK and the EPL out regardless of the results of the referendum.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-23, 20:07   Link #14
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Very much remain.

I have listened to both sides of the issue and come to the conclusion much like I did during the Scottish vote for Independence, that it was some political leaders trying to appeal to the worst populist ideas in order to gain some favours and publicity for their platforms, with little to no care about what happens on the off chance they win.

There were a many reasons to no longer want to be part of EU. There are a lot of compelling reasons to look at our relationship with the continent and see if we could reexamine how we are meant to approach them in the future. There are a number of good reasons why the leadership in the EU and the direction it had taken in recent years is seen with such distrust. And there are absolutely great reasons where the UK should be looking hard at itself to see where it went wrong to have gotten in this sorry position.

Those reasons were not presented during the debates and PR the Leave campaign had arranged. If anything, they made it clear that someone like me would no longer be welcome in the UK, due to my family, or my friends, or if I married and had children, because they wouldn't be pure blooded enough to be part of this supposed Great Britain Leave people have drawn in their dreams.

But even putting my own feelings aside I just can't agree to throw, not only the nation -because the UK getting out of the EU will make things undoubtedly worse- but also possibly the world as well, just to appease Farage and freaking Boris Johnson on their quest to show how much they can stick it to the man.

What pisses me off is that I'm rewarding David Cameron's idiotic gamble. Fucking hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I just find it sad the we had this referendum for all the wrong reasons. There is a legitimate case to made of questioning our membership of the EU but immigration isn't it.
It was the worst way to frame the Leave movement after immigration, but considering the core base of the BNP, UKIP and B1, it was always going to be a major appeal to Leave voters and leaders. It's like people in the EU are trying to funnel Eastern Europeans and Muslims into the UK as a way to drown the island.

But yes, for all the good the EU does, there should have been a genuine debate on whether or not we should remain a member for reasons much important than immigration. The reason for the existence of the EU might be to stop a theoretical 3rd attempt to burn the world, but that doesn't excuse the sort of shoddy and embarrassing way it's been run thus far.
Old 2016-06-23, 20:14   Link #15
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Isn't anyone just plain curious to see what happens if the UK votes to leave? I know I am.
Chaotic neutral stance. Sounds fun.
Old 2016-06-23, 20:24   Link #16
Newhope

I voted to leave, and almost everybody I know did like wise.
Newhope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-23, 20:35   Link #17
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Leave is doing significantly better than expected. A lot of blame are already being thrown around by Remain supporters. I believe it was noted that Remain had to gain early with many Leave districts to come, and the opposite happened. Scottish turnout is lower than expected so Remain margins there won't do as much as they wish to counterbalance England.

London may yet save the United Kingdom or maybe the heavy rain killed it for Remain, which would be a very hilarious British joke.

Although, Britain's polling science is 10 years behind America's so who knows what the fuck happens. In U.S. elections they declare victory on like 1% of votes counted (okay, exaggeration) and they are basically always right.

This is fun practice for November 8. Mm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
Yes, which would protect a lot of young talent being wasted. To protect football the EU should kick the UK and the EPL out regardless of the results of the referendum.
Why do you hate Scotland? :P
Old 2016-06-23, 20:49   Link #18
Newhope

Most experts are now predicting Leave to win, the remain vote isn't doing anywhere near as well as predicted in the areas they thought it would be strongest and the area's that are heavily for leaving won't be reported until later.
Newhope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-23, 20:59   Link #19
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

^Eh, London alone may not be enough, but England isn't all Leave. Manchester, Liverpool, et al will break for Remain.

Wales is the real shock. Do they even get that it's the EU and not the fucking Tories and definitely not UKIP that are subsidizing their sorry arses?

Edit: the real thing I'm angry about, aside from FM (WHICH IS IMPORTANT) is that I'm not a betting man, nor a Forex-currency-trading man. Could be making bank tonight playing the pound rollercoaster. Or lose it all I guess.
Old 2016-06-23, 21:03   Link #20
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Wales might have voted leave in order to fuck over England, so that they might have a shot at independence later when everything is burning.

Wales is playing the long game.

Tags
politics