AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2018-11-11, 19:10   Link #1
kitten320

Anti hero type of character or just deep, complicated villain

Sorry for double posting but felt like I needed to separate the two.

Basically I'm after characters similar to Annie Leonhardt (SnK), Azula (Avatar), Yomi (Ga-Rei Zero), Kurapika (HxH), Medusa (Soul Eater).

Characters that either don't have much of a choice and are forced to take cruel action like Itachi or those who are driven by revenge so much that they start to go askew like Yomi and Kurapika and etc.

Azula is a good example of complicated, powerful villain. Or Medusa and Makishima (Psycho-Pass) who are charismatic, strong, manipulative and not afraid to pull the trigger when needed.

So yeh, anyone interesting comes to mind? Have to admit I prefer female characters more but good male characters like Kurapika and Makishima are always welcomed in my book!
Old 2018-11-12, 02:02   Link #2
cyberdemon

There's Kiritsugu Emiya of Fate Zero. An anti hero who who would lie, manipulate, kidnap, blow up buildings, and kill anyone who gets in the way of his goals.
Old 2018-11-12, 04:08   Link #3
Lex79

Hajime from Arifureta isn't driven by revenge by cares only for people close to him and has no problems killing whoever stands between him and his goal.
Aur from Maou no hajimekata is a charismatic villain protagonist who routinely uses brainwashing and deception for his advantage. Keep in mind that this series is borderline hentai if it doesn't suit your tastes.
Lex79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-12, 06:35   Link #4
0cean
Transfer Adventurer

Maybe Jormungand, but the specifics could be spoilerific. Also have a look at this topic, it's slightly related: https://forums.animesuki.com/showthr...52#post6110352
Old 2018-11-12, 11:37   Link #5
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I assume you've watched Monster by now, but if not, Johan is a fine example of what you're looking for.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-12, 14:51   Link #6
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Well...if you're interesting in picking up Kara no Kyoukai again, I do think the 3rd movie Remaining Sense Of Pain is what you're looking for. The villian in question is forced into a path of destruction because she thinks it's the only way to relieve the pain she's experiencing constantly. [Trailer]

Have you seen Berserk? I don't know about the old 90s TV series nor the new CGI TV series but I watched the Trilogy films and they were really great. It's even similar to Gai Rei Zero with a friendship that goes all the way down south. In this case the villain's ambition gets the worst of him and it only goes downer and downer from there. [1st Film Trailer]

Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin is another great one. It's a prequel that focuses on the villain of the original series but it does work as a stand alone (though some minor scenes may appear to lack relevancy). [2nd Episode Trailer]

There's 91 Days for some straight up revenge drama. For a brief moment I thought it was going to go one way and then it went straight down the other. [Opening Credits Theme] XP

Also for complicated villains is Squealer from Shin Sekai Yori. He actually beat Makishima from PsychoPass for the Best Villain title in the 2013 Choice Awards.

There's also Birdy The Mighty: Decode although the complicated villain that's after revenge doesn't appear until the second cour. Most of his fight scenes are on youtube if you want to watch them but they are kinda too spoilery so I won't link them. His name is Nataru.

If you're looking for protagonists that are cold blooded and aren't afraid to pull the trigger then I'd also recommend Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans. The clue is kind of in the name there.

Last edited by Haak; 2018-11-12 at 17:36.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-15, 18:52   Link #7
kitten320

Cool! I'll have a look.

And yes, I've seen:
Berserk
Shin Sekai Yori
Monster
Jormungand
Fate/Zero