AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hyouka

Notices

View Poll Results: Hyouka - Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 7 10.94%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 25.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 26.56%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 14.06%
6 out of 10 : Average 9 14.06%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 4 6.25%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 3.13%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-05-27, 22:13   Link #21
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereminVox View Post
I'd like to fault the episode for its weak premise, but the 20 minutes still flew by....
Bingo. I was wondering what they were going to do with the premise in the second half of the episode, and then the episode was suddenly over and I realized that I'd had a good time. I actually expect that this episode laid the groundwork for something more obviously directed in the next episode.

The animation of Eru leaning across the table was amazing. And so was the motion of the pencil lead. Brilliant work -- unlike the stick-like drawing of the legs of Mayaka walking across the room to get her bag.

I loved realizing that Satoshi was really being pretty friendly toward Mayaka. And once again Kayano Ai was brilliant as Mayaka, expressing her anger. Such an interesting, real-sounding voice.

Is it my imagination that the deadness in Oreki's expression is beginning to lift?
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2012-05-27 at 22:43.
Old 2012-05-27, 22:18   Link #22
linkinstreet
[Your] clan on Steam

Send a message via MSN to linkinstreet Send a message via Yahoo to linkinstreet
I kept rewatching that Mayaka lecturing Fuku scene just to listen to what she is saying since Eru keeps distracting me with that cute pout trying to get Houtaro's attention
Old 2012-05-27, 22:35   Link #23
TurkeyPotPie
fushigi ojisan

I still find Eru's invasion of Hotarou's personal space annoying, but seeing her stretched out across the table this episode was kind of amusing. Also, Satoshi better take heed and escape Mayaka now. If Mayaka is that much of a browbeating nag now, imagine what she'd be like if he were married to her.
Old 2012-05-27, 22:42   Link #24
rulfo

The SoL part felt more like K-ON S2 and that is fine by me since I enjoyed that show.

It was really entertaining to see Eru react when Oreki ignored her call for help to break up Mayaka's rage.

I'd say the Eru overload on this one was well done. Eru lunging across the table just to get to Oreki's eyes was over the line obnoxious but hilarious. On the character build up side of things, Houtaro seems to have lightened up more. His aura is getting less and less "dead" each episode. Another thing is I don't know if he's just blatantly dense about how he really sees/feels about Eru or just that he's in denial.

Oh yeah future wallpaper to be.

Can't wait for BD release.
Old 2012-05-27, 22:58   Link #25
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

That was a funny episode. I love how Oreki walks into it every time.
Old 2012-05-27, 23:15   Link #26
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkeyPotPie View Post
I still find Eru's invasion of Hotarou's personal space annoying, but seeing her stretched out across the table this episode was kind of amusing. Also, Satoshi better take heed and escape Mayaka now. If Mayaka is that much of a browbeating nag now, imagine what she'd be like if he were married to her.
If the sub I'm using is correct, it sounded like she had a really good reason to be mad at Satoshi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulfo
Oh yeah future wallpaper to be.
And here, we have another tie-in to what seems like it's going to be the overarching theme of the series. Houtarou and his world of grey vs. Eru and her "rose-colored' world (complete with raining petals, no less!) Just when one is thinking that there's this empty light-hearted episode, and they have to go sneak in some character development/HoutaroXEru shipping.

EDIT:

Another thing ... isn't it kinda interesting that, regardless of all the <GITAH CHORD!> Mayaka gives Houtarou . . . she listens to him?
Old 2012-05-27, 23:22   Link #27
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkeyPotPie View Post
Hmm. Even though I do get where you're coming from here, my reactions were quite different.

1. Beautiful girl puts her face next to yours. This is a bad thing? I could almost smell her shampoo (and pheromones).

2. Satoshi seems to have suggested some kind of outing with Mayaka and others, then stood them up without a word. She had a right to be pissed. He couldn't answer because she was totally right.
________

I'd also like to add that although the episode seemed event-free, I found the discussion of why one gets angry, whether it's a good thing or not, etc., fairly interesting.

Also: I lost interest in K-On about halfway through the first season. I lost interest in Nichijou after about three episodes. But I am continually fascinated by this show.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2012-05-27, 23:40   Link #28
rulfo

Oh God...

Spoiler for Silent Hill:
Old 2012-05-27, 23:51   Link #29
Valky
Radioactive

I found little Erus creeping up Houtarou kinda scary, lol. Sucks to be him.
Old 2012-05-28, 00:31   Link #30
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT View Post
If the sub I'm using is correct, it sounded like she had a really good reason to be mad at Satoshi.
It sounds like he stood her up (for...something. Not specified what, but it apparently involved waiting outside) and left her waiting in the rain and hail, and not only didn't call to let her know he couldn't make it, but also didn't answer his phone when she called him to find out where he was. She also was apparently wearing nice clothes for whatever this outing was, and the weather was not kind to them.

I think she's justified in getting upset about that.

Anyway, episode was yawn-worthy, but still looked pretty.
Old 2012-05-28, 00:43   Link #31
flack

maybe kyo-ani is trying to make this like Key Styled Animes. Periods of relaxing for purposes of character development and attachment after climatic arcs.
Old 2012-05-28, 01:34   Link #32
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Chitanda's methods of staring are epic; I couldn't get annoyed with somebody looking at me in that manner over curiosity. As for the episode itself, the mystery felt weak compared to the other episodes, so while it wasn't bad in any way, it felt like it was less as a result. My attention was stuck on those damned alphabet cookies. I WANT ALPHABET COOKIES.

And wow, you're telling me a teacher writes notes to keep track of his curriculum, but can't even confirm to the basics of handwriting to the point where he mistakes a lower case "a" for a lower case "d"? And just because he's a math teacher doesn't mean he only uses variables; we all take English to get out of high school, don't we?

Hahaha, that relieved a lot of tension off of my high school days. I swear, I had better English skills than most of my teachers, and that wasn't even the first language I started learning.

"Say, how do you spell explanation? There's supposed to be an "i" somewhere in here, isn't there?"
And then I would die a little on the inside. Quod erat demonstrandum.

Overall, still insanely entertaining for me as always. Love this series, and I'm off to find awesome biscuits (English biscuits mind you, not American).
Old 2012-05-28, 01:41   Link #33
MartianMage

Well that was a pretty boring episode... it's episodes like this that makes me wonder if I should be using my time to watch this or I should just go for another series considering how little time I have for anime at the moment.
Kyubey: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.
Homura: Your words are as empty as your soul! Lolis ill-needs a savior such as you!
Kyubey: What is a loli? A miserable little pile of moe! But enough talk...have at you!
Old 2012-05-28, 01:54   Link #34
Somnus
Eh?

Mysteries aside, every week I find myself more and more entertained by the energy Eru puts towards backing poor Houtarou into a corner. The examples mentioned so far (Her trying to get him to stop the fight, little Chi's, leaning over the table) were pure enjoyment for me, as well as some not mentioned.

Aside from those lovely hypno-eyes of hers, I find it hilarious with what she physically does to stop him from avoiding her. With this episode it was stopping his bag, an example from an earlier episode was putting a book in front of the one he was reading. It's downright fun to watch her!

No need to sugarcoat it. Absolutely nothing happened in this episode. For me though, time still flew by and left me craving for more.
Old 2012-05-28, 01:58   Link #35
linkinstreet
[Your] clan on Steam

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
And wow, you're telling me a teacher writes notes to keep track of his curriculum, but can't even confirm to the basics of handwriting to the point where he mistakes a lower case "a" for a lower case "d"? And just because he's a math teacher doesn't mean he only uses variables; we all take English to get out of high school, don't we?
Are you a Japanese?
Old 2012-05-28, 02:50   Link #36
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkinstreet View Post
Are you a Japanese?
No, but I've got several friends from Japan who graduated there. Their English classes are nowhere near as extensive, but something like rudimentary handwriting is definitely looked at. Y'know, especially if you're a teacher.
Old 2012-05-28, 03:04   Link #37
linkinstreet
[Your] clan on Steam

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
No, but I've got several friends from Japan who graduated there. Their English classes are nowhere near as extensive, but something like rudimentary handwriting is definitely looked at. Y'know, especially if you're a teacher.
Well the way that you wrote it is like you come from there. Anyways a teacher of that age would likely have came from an era where learning Roman is not really as important as years later down the road.
Old 2012-05-28, 03:08   Link #38
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkinstreet View Post
Well the way that you wrote it is like you come from there. Anyways a teacher of that age would likely have came from an era where learning Roman is not really as important as years later down the road.
Haha no, I just wanted to vent out my experiences of seeing teachers from a country that uses English as its main language use it so poorly. What happened in the episode isn't even really bothersome, but it's just something I thought I'd mention.
Old 2012-05-28, 03:55   Link #39
Mubyoshi

Looks like Oreki is treading down a dangerous path, because from the looks of it, Eru only sees him as a friend.
Old 2012-05-28, 04:11   Link #40
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mubyoshi View Post
Looks like Oreki is treading down a dangerous path, because from the looks of it, Eru only sees him as a friend.
Would that be a problem? Besides the regular human reactions like awkward silence with blushing, I don't think they're placed together to BE together.