Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2013-07-15, 04:06   Link #281
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Is it bad that I know that whole speech by heart after listening to a recording of a previous edition of the Proms in my car time and time again?
Old 2013-07-15, 05:02   Link #282
Tsundere Louise
D-Don't stare, baka...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Watch the Doctor and Clara invade the orchestra at the Doctor Who Prom

This just was a pure genius.
The Doctor's hair looked funny, though. His head looked like a big match.
Old 2013-07-15, 13:11   Link #283
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

They should be starting on the Christmas Special soon. I wonder if they will allow for his hair to grow out a bit more, fit him with a wig, or have another instory answer for the Doctor having less hair than he does in the 50th Special (filmed before Matt Smith needed to shave his head for movie role).

There will also likely be the announcement of the 12th in the near future.
Old 2013-08-01, 16:09   Link #284
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The silence will be lifted. It seems the BBC is having some sort of Dr Who announcement at midnight. There is I guess a special or something on Sunday. Also it is suggested the cover will be lifted on the 50th Anniversary special and perhaps the identity of the 12th Doctor (or is it 13th?) Depends on the concensus of the David Tennant's 10th and Matt Smith's 11th Doctors on if John Hurt's mystery Doctor counts or not.

But it is still a ways until November and December.

But there is a rumor that there will be a leadup preview set (sort of like "A Pond Life") of mini-episodes before the 50th. It is suggested that this will follow the Doctor in the days before he turned into the John Hurt Doctor/non-Doctor...which would logically mean a return of Paul McGann as the Doctor. That would be something interesting.
Old 2013-08-01, 19:54   Link #285
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

The new Doctor will officially be named in that Sunday special. I really hope the Peter Capaldi rumors are true, though I suspect they're not. In the first place I would love to see an older Doctor again, which I think brings out nuances in the character a child like Smith just can't reach (and I like Smith, don't get me wrong). I also specifically really like Capaldi - I have ever since he was in the sublime Local Hero way back in the 80s.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-02, 04:40   Link #286
Dop
Mmmm....

Peter Capaldi would be great, and just think of all the Doctor Who/The Thick Of It mashups that will spring forth!

Then again, the bookies got it completely wrong the last time and never even saw Matt Smith coming.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-02, 13:31   Link #287
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well it has been said that they wanted someone in their 40s to be the Doctor, thinking David Tennant was an anomaly. Then they cast Matt Smith because he came in and did what he does. Be a mad Doctor. We probably won't see a Doctor quite that mad/crazy again.

We'll see very soon now. Though if it is anything like the Dr. Who Confidental special for when they cast Matt Smith, they will go on about each of the previous actors who played the Doctor for most of the special and then show us an interview with the new Doctor at the end.

Of course they have to film the Christmas special still, but also start on Series 8 with the new Doctor as it takes them several months filming, though they still seem to be doing split seasons Fall/Spring from 2014/15 (that is actually worse in some respects to anime split cour series since Dr Who is only 13 or so episodes a series)
Old 2013-08-02, 13:54   Link #288
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Well it has been said that they wanted someone in their 40s to be the Doctor, thinking David Tennant was an anomaly. Then they cast Matt Smith because he came in and did what he does. Be a mad Doctor. We probably won't see a Doctor quite that mad/crazy again.
Too bad. I liked the mad Doctor.

Quote:
(that is actually worse in some respects to anime split cour series since Dr Who is only 13 or so episodes a series)
13 episodes per year at an hour each is somehow worse than 26 episodes a year at half an hour each?
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-02, 19:10   Link #289
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I'm rather more inclined to believe the twinkification of the role is an intentional play for the Twilight demographic. And until I see hard evidence to the contrary I think any notion of an "older Doctor" (which in this case probably means anyone over 30) is strictly lip service, and none of them are seriously considered. I like Ben Daniels a lot and Peter Capaldi even more, so I hope I'm wrong, but if I were betting on any of the names actually been speculated on it would be Daniel Rigby - he fits the template for what Moffatt seems to want to do the best. Of course, the bookies have historically completely missed the boat on this so it may well be someone whose name has never even come up.
Old 2013-08-02, 22:24   Link #290
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well Matt Smith is 30 now. David Tennant is in his 40s. So I image they would be looking for someone between their ages or around Tennant's current age to play the Doctor. They likely won't get for a new regular Doctor that is in his 50s like Hartnell or Pertwee, or late 40s even like Troughton. But early 40s seems to be were many of the Doctors were since Tom Baker.

So logically the Doctor will probably be in his 30s or 40s...assuming it isn't a woman. That she would probably be in her 30s, though Alex Kingston is 50 and would be perfect if she wasn't already River Song.
Old 2013-08-02, 22:38   Link #291
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Don't get me started on River - she's done the series enough damage already without making Kingston the Doctor, though I blame the writing more than Kingston herself.

I would definitely consider any actor in their 40's an "older" Doctor in the modern era, which is why I'll be surprised if it happens (Daniels is 49, BTW). Tennant was 34 when he was cast, so not really all that different from Smith.
Old 2013-08-03, 02:16   Link #292
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well Christopher Eccleston was 41.
Old 2013-08-03, 03:32   Link #293
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Thus, the direction is clear. Perhaps the next Doctor would be Asa Butterfield, if he weren't locked up with the Ender thing.
Old 2013-08-03, 04:15   Link #294
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Probably a good question would be if they want an actor that will stay with the part for a long time (like Tom Baker did) or stay with the three to four years per Doctor setup?

I'm sure by now with the advent of John Hurt as a version of the Doctor and Matt Smith leaving they will have come up with a way/reason why the Doctor could have more than 13 bodies as if the John Hurt "Doctor" counts, that means the next Doctor should be the last one. Something the producers and writers would have to find a way around, or permanently cancel the show when the next person leaves, as their old way of replacing the actor but not the Doctor trick will have run out in universe.
Old 2013-08-03, 05:52   Link #295
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Probably a good question would be if they want an actor that will stay with the part for a long time (like Tom Baker did) or stay with the three to four years per Doctor setup?

I'm sure by now with the advent of John Hurt as a version of the Doctor and Matt Smith leaving they will have come up with a way/reason why the Doctor could have more than 13 bodies as if the John Hurt "Doctor" counts, that means the next Doctor should be the last one. Something the producers and writers would have to find a way around, or permanently cancel the show when the next person leaves, as their old way of replacing the actor but not the Doctor trick will have run out in universe.
I have no idea why you think cancelling the show is ever an option. We already KNOW the regeneration limit is only theoretical, as The Master has broken it multiple times as it is. The most important issue is not the regeneration limit, but the Valyard.
http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/The_Valeyard

The Valeyard has been confirmed to be part of modern canon in the most recent episode. This means an actual, genuine evil Doctor. It would be a piece of cake to solve the problem of Valeyard by saying The Doctor ended up creating his evil counterpart, as a consequence of bypassing the regeneration limit.
Old 2013-08-03, 10:41   Link #296
james0246

The regeneration issue was solved when River gave all her regenerations to the Doctor.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-04, 03:06   Link #297
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
The regeneration issue was solved when River gave all her regenerations to the Doctor.
Just what he needs to feel even more guilty about things.
Old 2013-08-04, 03:21   Link #298
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
The point is to solve it permanently. No one cared that Master kept coming back, they just need to put the whole issue to bed.
Old 2013-08-04, 03:26   Link #299
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The Master was on his last life (said during the Tom Baker era and quite possibly the entire time since he was introduced) and then started stealing bodies until the Time Lords resurrected him and gave him more regenerations for the Time War.
Old 2013-08-04, 03:31   Link #300
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
The Master was on his last life (said during the Tom Baker era and quite possibly the entire time since he was introduced) and then started stealing bodies until the Time Lords resurrected him and gave him more regenerations for the Time War.
And he died again. And yet no one cared that he will come back one day. Regeneration limits are not useful to the story as there are ways to kill the Doctor directly. So since the TV studio really much rather not talk about regeneration limits in the future, they would likely just remove it entirely next season.

Tags
science fiction