AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross

Notices

Old 2009-07-30, 13:35   Link #581
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Thats a problem, isn't it? MF topped the standard so much to the point that as I started watching subsequent shows, I just cannot find myself enjoying them as much.

For example: Gundam 00, Linebarrel... etc. Good animes, but not enough mental hard-on

Not even Ms Igloo 2 can do the job... damn you Kawamori, damn you.

- Tak
Yeah, I noticed that, too... other shows seem to be missing that certain "something".

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallschirmjager View Post
It was because of MF I went back to watch SDF-1 and I enjoyed that a hell of a lot more than MF. I actually admired the animation of SDF-1 more so because all the transformations and combat scenes were drawn by hand.

That and I prefer the look of the VF-1* over the VF-25* ;D
Oh, Macross was something else, back then... Misa was my first anime lady love, so to say. But I look today on Macross Frontier as superior in many regards, due to the evolved universe and Sheryl. If only theyŽd ended the show logically ( i.e. Sheryl x Alto ending ), IŽd leave no bad hair on the series. ^^
Old 2009-07-30, 13:51   Link #582
ZippyDSM
Incoherance is my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Thats a problem, isn't it? MF topped the standard so much to the point that as I started watching subsequent shows, I just cannot find myself enjoying them as much.

For example: Gundam 00, Linebarrel... etc. Good animes, but not enough mental hard-on

Not even Ms Igloo 2 can do the job... damn you Kawamori, damn you.

- Tak
Meh I still don't care for animation I will diss a show, I still prefer story and character over anything else lulz fests like MF(ok not so true I am just ragging on the over used SOL stuff) and Transformers 2(not anime but god dose it hurt bwains!!).

Then again I still like the old Violinist of hamlin TV so I just might be fried beyond repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Yeah, I noticed that, too... other shows seem to be missing that certain "something".
Visual noise and over the top SOL moments in the wrong genre?
Sometimes I think Anime is becoming like Country music or film bland and watered down to cater to a maxminim audience spread rather than let something hold its own on tis own merits...

Mmm if I would do a top 10 list

Towrd the Terra(.....its in space.....and damn good)
Heroic age
Tytaina(not mecha but good enough despite the lack luster end)
Gundam 00
Linebarrel
Sora wo Kakeru Shoujo (oh hush its meant to be a lulz fest)
Zegapain (is barely just not as annoying to me as MF can be )
Macross frontier (yes I know I am on the rag putting it below a true lulz fest,ect,ect)

ack I need to more semi recent sci fi space anime...and no gundam seed ...it hurt brains dagnamit!!
ZippyDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-30, 23:04   Link #583
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
Don't listen to the nattering nabobs of negativity. Macross 7 isn't a great show by any stretch, but it's worth watching at least once. A lot of people find that they like it towards the end. A lot don't, too...but hey, as Isamu says in Mac Plus, why not try it and see for yourself. Then you'll know FOR SURE if it's sour.
I'd have to agree with this. I went into Macross 7 with the mindset that it was going to be fairly goofy, and I ended up enjoying it. While that obviously doesn't mean that everyone will feel the same way, Macross 7 isn't bad to the degree that it's impossible to like.
Old 2009-07-30, 23:06   Link #584
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
I'd have to agree with this. I went into Macross 7 with the mindset that it was going to be fairly goofy, and I ended up enjoying it. While that obviously doesn't mean that everyone will feel the same way, Macross 7 isn't bad to the degree that it's impossible to like.
I actually expected the opposite, since I had no prior knowledge of 7 when I first viewed it. And no, I was not swayed by its opening sequence, either.

I expected another series with the kind of seriousness akin to that of PLUS, and boy was I disappointed. Sure, some segments of the show were great, but to me, they were few and far in between. I just cannot stand those Valkyrie vs. monster-rejects fights *Sigh*

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-03, 04:42   Link #585
Oppius
Banned

When the captain of Macross Quarter and rest of his crew declared themselves as pirates and left Frontier, why he deliberately left Alto and Luca behind? Maybe he wants some top-scoring aces to defend Frontier when he's not around or simply he refused to work under the new President?
Oppius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-03, 06:57   Link #586
CaptGloval
New Macross soon

Alto and Luca decided to stay. Klan's reason is more vague though.
CaptGloval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-03, 13:59   Link #587
Snowblind
Professional Lurker

Klan was visiting Michael's grave when she got the text, and it was just after his death... Maybe she didn't want to leave him? Just my wag at it.
Snowblind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-11, 08:38   Link #588
Kylegoblue

Quote:
Well I never got around to watching it. My gf started on Gundam 00 and she's turning her nose up at even finishing Macross much less Macross 7

She's a bit of an artist and I think some of the poorly drawn eps have turned her off. Ah well. I really need a Macross fix. I'm disappointed that this first movie will be a retelling. Is that common in all anime series or just with Macross?
Kylegoblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-11, 10:55   Link #589
Snowblind
Professional Lurker

Eh, 50/50ish, maybe? A retelling or 'reimagined' movie version is about as common as a continuation. Actually, I'm probably being generous there. I can only think of a handful of movie continuations at the moment (but I just woke up, so...)
Snowblind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-11, 13:40   Link #590
ZippyDSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylegoblue View Post
Well I never got around to watching it. My gf started on Gundam 00 and she's turning her nose up at even finishing Macross much less Macross 7

She's a bit of an artist and I think some of the poorly drawn eps have turned her off. Ah well. I really need a Macross fix. I'm disappointed that this first movie will be a retelling. Is that common in all anime series or just with Macross?
Have you seen Macross zero? The 5-6 part OVA. Has great animation.
Old 2009-08-11, 15:46   Link #591
Kylegoblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyDSM View Post
Have you seen Macross zero? The 5-6 part OVA. Has great animation.
I did see Macross Zero and I liked the animation but I mostly liked it because I'm a Roy Focker fan. The story didn't really grab me though.
Old 2009-08-12, 08:37   Link #592
ipernorris

Vajra can travel through space with advanced folding, but can they travel through time as well?!?
ipernorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-12, 10:32   Link #593
ZippyDSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylegoblue View Post
I did see Macross Zero and I liked the animation but I mostly liked it because I'm a Roy Focker fan. The story didn't really grab me though.
Ya it was really condensed, not bad but felt rushed.
Old 2009-08-12, 10:41   Link #594
Kylegoblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyDSM View Post
Ya it was really condensed, not bad but felt rushed.
Not bad at all! But I take what I can get with the infrequency of releases.
Old 2009-08-15, 08:18   Link #595
CaptGloval
New Macross soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipernorris View Post
Vajra can travel through space with advanced folding, but can they travel through time as well?!?
There seems to be no time travel in the Macross universe.
CaptGloval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-15, 09:47   Link #596
ipernorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptGloval View Post
There seems to be no time travel in the Macross universe.
So why Mr Bilra (or whatever is his name) hope to reach her? It's a temporal issue, not a spatial one, am i wrong?
Old 2009-08-15, 10:25   Link #597
4Tran

Quote:
So why Mr Bilra (or whatever is his name) hope to reach her? It's a temporal issue, not a spatial one, am i wrong?
It's a spatial issue. Bilrer might just want to find out where Megaroad-1 went, or he might even hope to still find Minmay herself. Remember that the ship disappeared around 2016, and Macross Frontier takes place only 43 years later. If the ship survived, it's quite possible that any survivors would still be alive, and would be for another few decades.
Old 2009-08-15, 12:15   Link #598
ipernorris

Quote:
It's a spatial issue. Bilrer might just want to find out where Megaroad-1 went, or he might even hope to still find Minmay herself. Remember that the ship disappeared around 2016, and Macross Frontier takes place only 43 years later. If the ship survived, it's quite possible that any survivors would still be alive, and would be for another few decades.
I tried making a pic but the damned vlc keept crashing, anyway in episode 24 at 11:40 Bilra says that "fold waves defy time and the law of causality", meaning they allow going back in the past! Am I wrong?
Old 2009-08-15, 12:35   Link #599
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
I tried making a pic but the damned vlc keept crashing, anyway in episode 24 at 11:40 Bilra says that "fold waves defy time and the law of causality", meaning they allow going back in the past! Am I wrong?
I am not going to rule out that possibility, but at this time, its not proven, nor are there any definite statement regarding that subject.

However, at that moment, I think he just wanted to see Minmei again, no matter what condition she was in, as well as finding out what really happened to the Megaroad.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-15, 12:48   Link #600
4Tran

Quote:
Not necessarily. Bilrer's statement is poetic, and so there are a few different ways to interpret it. One of these is to think of fold space as being a flat plane where travel is unimpeded. With the existence of fold waves, this plane is disrupted, and makes journeys in certain directions much more difficult. Thus a smooth trip to Megaroad-01's destination turns into a journey of over a decade.

And then there's Megaroad-01's disappearance to begin with. The most likely cause was either a fold dislocation or a fold failure of some kind, thus leading to a separation of several decades. Both of these interpretations would work with the time and causality bit, and neither of them require attributing any kind of special temporal powers to fold technology.

And when you think about it, there's no reason for Kawamori to explore any kind of time travel story with Macross. Especially since the main reason to do so (outside of outright changing the past) would be to explore what happened with Megaroad-01, and that's precisely the story that they don't have any intention of exploring.

Tags
q&a