Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-03-06, 03:31   Link #4701
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuras View Post
In all these samurai movies, the shoguns or whatever are always holding these images in a stick. What the hell are those?
Those are faction banners.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-06, 03:48   Link #4702
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
In all these samurai movies, the shoguns or whatever are always holding these images in a stick. What the hell are those?
Your description is a bit too vague. Are you referring to the war fans used by field commanders? Or the war banners mentioned above?

If it's the latter, they're flags that mark out the various units on a battlefield. In the chaos of an all-out melee, it's critical to be able to tell apart friend from foe, hence the use of flags and different brightly coloured armour or uniforms.

As for the war fans, they're used as — you've guessed it — signals for various pre-planned battlefield manoeuvres. Some of these fans are made of metal, and there's the famous apocryphal story of Takeda Shingen defending himself with a metal war fan against a spirited charge by his archnemesis, Uesugi Kenshin.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-08, 01:19   Link #4703
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Is there an article that mentions the history of female gamers? The only thing I saw mentioning about female gamers was Pac-Man or something...
Old 2011-03-08, 23:47   Link #4704
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Your description is a bit too vague. Are you referring to the war fans used by field commanders? Or the war banners mentioned above?

If it's the latter, they're flags that mark out the various units on a battlefield. In the chaos of an all-out melee, it's critical to be able to tell apart friend from foe, hence the use of flags and different brightly coloured armour or uniforms.

As for the war fans, they're used as — you've guessed it — signals for various pre-planned battlefield manoeuvres. Some of these fans are made of metal, and there's the famous apocryphal story of Takeda Shingen defending himself with a metal war fan against a spirited charge by his archnemesis, Uesugi Kenshin.
http://www.samurai-swords-for-sale.c...se-war-fan.jpg

It's like this ^ I guess it was a battle fan. Hm, strange little thing.
Old 2011-03-09, 06:30   Link #4705
WordShaker
In scientific terms only.

Send a message via MSN to WordShaker
Quote:
http://www.samurai-swords-for-sale.c...se-war-fan.jpg

It's like this ^ I guess it was a battle fan. Hm, strange little thing.
They also used saihai and other such batons to signal. The Sengoku period is an interesting time.

/is devoted Azai fanboy.
WordShaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-09, 08:09   Link #4706
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Okay so my finals start next week, and aside from my medical licensure exam 2 years from now this is quite possibly the most important set of 5 exam days in my life, bridging the line between dumbass and doctor (fail and I won't qualify for internship, the last requirement for my "doctorate"). Too bad I suffer from episodic exam anxiety attacks for the last 2 years, complete with retching, alternating constipation and diarrhea. I'd get medicate if I didn't already know this was purely psychological.

So question and advice: Can anyone suggest/link what they think (personally) as effective mental and somatic relaxing advice/techniques/methods? It can range from anything from meditations, drinks, exercise or basically anything that will help me calm the fuck down before I throw up in the classroom next Monday.

Studying is one thing but being mentally and emotionally calm and still in taking it is something else entirely. Any help is appreciated, and you'd be doing me a HUGE favor.

Edit - and if you're wondering why I'm asking it here, it's because I seem to trust you crazy people more than some random website peddling advice.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-09, 09:08   Link #4707
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Okay so my finals start next week, and aside from my medical licensure exam 2 years from now this is quite possibly the most important set of 5 exam days in my life, bridging the line between dumbass and doctor (fail and I won't qualify for internship, the last requirement for my "doctorate"). Too bad I suffer from episodic exam anxiety attacks for the last 2 years, complete with retching, alternating constipation and diarrhea. I'd get medicate if I didn't already know this was purely psychological.

So question and advice: Can anyone suggest/link what they think (personally) as effective mental and somatic relaxing advice/techniques/methods? It can range from anything from meditations, drinks, exercise or basically anything that will help me calm the fuck down before I throw up in the classroom next Monday.

Studying is one thing but being mentally and emotionally calm and still in taking it is something else entirely. Any help is appreciated, and you'd be doing me a HUGE favor.

Edit - and if you're wondering why I'm asking it here, it's because I seem to trust you crazy people more than some random website peddling advice.
Well, I have never studied for any of my exams before other than my 'A' levels (which I flunked badly). Yeah, I made my way through 4 semesters with Bs and Cs without studying anything in biz school - I am surprised that I made it through. Obviously my school must have sucked.

What I do know is that exams simply tests what you know. And in the exam hall, what you know at that very moment would be how much you like that subject. If you like that subject, you'll do well enough to meet your expectations. If you worry too much or hate it, you will definitely flunk.

Since you only have 4 days left, I would suggest that you just read through all your notes and do practice questions (I assumed that you listened in all your classes). Drink lots of water, avoid diuretics and high-sodium (it basically removes water from your body so it is a no-no), and sleep the usual amount you do per day.

Of course, go into application mode : apply whatever you have learnt into real life. In fact, since you are studying medicine, you might as well apply that theory to yourself right now. Think along the lines of :

1. What happens to the human body when he/she is anxious?
2. Why did that happen?
3. How do I alleviate that symptom?

And when all else fails, take pride that you brought your brain along - nothing beats working backwards with math and logic. There is so much empty space on the question paper for a reason.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-03-09, 10:09   Link #4708
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

I was a normal student, despite my grades.

Meaning to say, I hugged Buddha's legs at the last minute* every single year of my student career, including during my university days.

Traumatic stuff but, hey, I survived. And you know what they say about whatever that doesn't kill you...

*Chinese idiom: 临时抱佛脚 (ling shi bao fo jiao)

Quote:

STEP 1: Turn on the below.

STEP 2: While the above is playing, open this webpage:

http://www.rainymood.com/

Rain makes everything better.

And if it doesn't, think: "Ooyeeyambayeyayooo rainbow-fart".
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-09, 12:06   Link #4709
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:

Well, given the field you are in you perhaps would already know this, but I'll mention it just in case. Never underestimate the power of eating wholesome healthy foods in keeping your body and mind feeling fresh. Nutrient-rich vegetables, and fish like sardines or salmon which are rich in DHA and EPA omega-3's as well as the amino acid tryptophan promote a healthy body and a relaxed/happy mental state. I would also recommend some rigorous exercise when you have the free time; the endorphin release can be an unparalleled natural high. Additionally, I like to drink a lot of oolong or green tea during times like you mentioned since they simultaneously stimulate due to the caffeine but also relax/fight stress due to the theanine and other related compounds.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 01:42   Link #4710
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

There is 1 RTS game, either late 90's or early 2K where you get to mix and match animal DNAs for your units.

Title please

As usual, TIA and green cookies promised if possible even tho I dont reply back in here ^^
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 01:45   Link #4711
WordShaker
In scientific terms only.

Send a message via MSN to WordShaker
Impossible Creatures might be it.
WordShaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 01:51   Link #4712
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiNA View Post
There is 1 RTS game, either late 90's or early 2K where you get to mix and match animal DNAs for your units.

Title please

As usual, TIA and green cookies promised if possible even tho I dont reply back in here ^^
I know that one! Impossible Creatures by Microsoft Games.

Old 2011-03-11, 02:02   Link #4713
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
Where can I find a link to a video I saw a few months ago that was a screen capture of facebook chat about a guy and a girl talking with each other, but each keeps editing their comments so it would seem not as "relationship-y"? You can tell they like each other but are afraid, and the conversation ends up "normal." I think the title is something like "almost conversation," but a search for that turns back nothing.

haha, not sure if this is how you're supposed to use this thread.. feel free to delete if it isn't right.
reiterated

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 03:11   Link #4714
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wassupimviet View Post
Forum says impossible to rep you again. So thanks would have to do for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I know that one! Impossible Creatures by Microsoft Games.
NO cookies for you either
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 10:19   Link #4715
jedinat

Poking people sitting seiza...

One ongoing gag I've always noticed is a character getting poked in the foot after, I assume, their legs have fallen asleep. They act like this hurts a lot. I don't get it; from my experience you can't feel anything in a limb that's fallen asleep. Can anyone explain?

Just a dumb thing I've passed over for a number of years, lol..
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 10:47   Link #4716
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

It's a sudden stimulation of a compressed sensory nerve when you lean or lie on your leg in an odd position.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-18, 00:38   Link #4717
Asuras
Dictadere~!

I'm sure you all understand the blatantly obvious differences between those "How to Draw" tutorials and the things Japanese artists actually produce. It's as clear as day to me; yet, there seems to be no apparent way to learn how to draw the latter variant! I want to know how to produce the more modern style of anime like the type on pixiv.

Of course I know that doing such things requires much more skill, but hey, one can try right?
Heheheh...
Right?

Anyways... I'd really appreciate it if someone could point out to me a website or a book, or other media form that can teach me concepts and skills needed to produce more modern styles of anime, not the run-of-the-mill tutorials you find on Barne's and Noble book shelves.
Old 2011-03-18, 04:27   Link #4718
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

You do realise that most art styles are similar right? It is the subject of the art that makes the difference - otherwise, art is hardly creative.

I would suggest that you try to emulate other artists' styles before changing them a little to make it original. Remember it is the subject, not the style, that makes your artwork unique.

P.S If you want pretty-looking art, follow those of yaoi manga. Sharp facial features and long-haired boys pretty much make up them. Often, it is their eye size and edges that make them look different.

Old 2011-03-18, 11:20   Link #4719
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Not really into yaoi... >.>

I mean, the difference between this and this.

There's quite a difference to me. I want to know if there's a source that can help me draw things similar to the latter.
Old 2011-03-18, 11:27   Link #4720
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Not really into yaoi... >.>
He prolly meant Shoujo. It's easy not to make the distinction for guys
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem, q&a, serious