AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Kagaku no Railgun

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Kagaku no Railgun S - Episode 21 Rating
Perfect 10 7 12.73%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 10 18.18%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 9 16.36%
7 out of 10 : Good 13 23.64%
6 out of 10 : Average 6 10.91%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 4 7.27%
4 out of 10 : Poor 4 7.27%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.82%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.82%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013-09-08, 09:58   Link #61
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

As I've said, the worst she's expecting is for the item to be confiscated. All she knows they're doing is investigating malfunctioning robots. She probably doesn't know of the darker undercurrents.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-08, 10:25   Link #62
ReddyRedWolf

I think I know where this is going.

These villain wannabee students can't have that much of power over Anti-Skill nor should they have the resource just to hire Team Item.

Mikoto talks to Telestina Kihara Lifeline. The Kiharas are Academy City's worst family of Mad Scientists.

A Kihara is using these brats. Including Nunotoba Shinobu who we last saw was captured.

Telestina's goal is to achieve the creation of a Level 6.

What was the last arc was about? The creation of a Level 6.

These anti-esper brats are being used by a Kihara and maybe be disposed later. These attacks on Level 5s are just a front.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-08, 11:10   Link #63
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I don't really fault the Doctor or Yomikawa for how they handled Mikoto in this episode.

While Mikoto is only 14, she's also a Level 5 Esper-user. That makes her part of a very small and very powerful group of people that are likely to be the center of much attention their entire lives. Every person's "coming of age" is important, but it's particularly important for Mikoto due to her status. The Doctor probably feels that Mikoto may be ready to make big steps into her eventual adulthood, facing dark sides of the city that she'll inevitably have to deal with due to her status (in fact, dark sides she's already seen some of, of course). Yomikawa recognizes that Mikoto is certainly powerful enough to take care of herself.

Imagine a 14 year old Clark Kent flying around Smallville stopping crime as Superboy. You don't think the local authorities would put a bit more trust in him than they would your typical teenager? Like it or not, he's very different. He's very powerful. He's clearly going to have to deal with a lot in his life, so perhaps he needs to mature a bit quicker than the average teenager for his own sake, and for the sake of society at large. All of that also applies to Mikoto.
Old 2013-09-08, 11:14   Link #64
Hiss13
No time to sleep, 不幸だ

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
I feel the odds are pretty low of Touma getting involved in this situation. They are dealing with fighting robots it seems not espers or magicians. He'd just get his ass kicked dealing with those kinds of things.
The odds are even lower considering what should be going on at this time for Touma.
----------

On another note, I'm glad this arc is finally picking up. That overt and overwhelming amount of SoL was really starting to get on my nerves.
Hiss13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-08, 13:16   Link #65
sheeplet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
The entire storyline for this entire arc was devised by Kamachi so all of you stop complaining. Just because Railgun has finally started exploring the underworld of Academy City which is something people wouldn't expect from a "sidestory" doesn't mean that you guys should be angry at it. Kamachi clearly considers Railgun as an equally important sharer of relevant world-building as he does the "main" series.
That doesn't mean much though.
The manga author clearly didn't have the Poltergeist arc's friendship theme in mind when he wrote the Sisters arc of the Railgun manga. That's why the some of the "strictly anime" audience get confused when Misaka didn't ask help from her friends when the "lesson" from Railgun Season 1 was all about the power of friendship. It's not hard to suspect the same of the Silent Party arc.

In the end, Mikoto still operates alone for most of her battles. Dragging her friends into dangerous situations isn't something she does. In fact, she gets burned when she tries to do so in the next manga arc.

Quote:
(wow guys and you were complaining all along about her being stubborn and not telling anything to her friends)
It would be great if you didn't lump everyone together.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-09-08 at 15:46. Reason: removed hint about future content
sheeplet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-08, 13:34   Link #66
SilverTalon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
As I've said, the worst she's expecting is for the item to be confiscated. All she knows they're doing is investigating malfunctioning robots. She probably doesn't know of the darker undercurrents.
I don't know, she seemed suspicious that something was being covered up which should mean she is at least aware of the possibility. What I think would really be out of character is if she just laid back and did nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheeplet View Post
The manga author clearly didn't have the Poltergeist arc's friendship theme in mind when he wrote the Sisters arc of the Railgun manga. That's why the some of the "strictly anime" audience get confused when Misaka didn't ask help from her friends when the "lesson" from Railgun Season 1 was all about the power of friendship. It's not hard to suspect the same of the Silent Party arc.
Her friends were already involved with poltergeist. Its not like she ever went to them, explained stuff, and asked for their help. They were all involved all along, she just left them out of confronting Thelestina the first time.
SilverTalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-08, 14:35   Link #67
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheeplet View Post

In the end, Mikoto still operates alone for most of her battles. Dragging her friends into dangerous situations isn't something she does. In fact, she gets burned when she tries to do so in the next manga arc.

It would be great if you didn't lump everyone together.
I'm a manga reader/ LN reader And I was only talking about a few people, not everyone. Just wanted to clarify. Also, I'm not trying to be mean about it. I already kind of apologized because my post went a little over the top. Sorry.

I agree with you about how just pure anime-watchers might feel, but in the end the anime was an adaptation of the original material; it wasn't the original material deciding the fate of the show (though it has some unique quirks to it).

Also, he might have had the friendship theme in mind... and even if Kamachi didn't, he wants everything to be as consistent as possible in the franchise so since the arc is considered canon, whatever appeared in that arc is now canon, even the friendship theme.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-09-08 at 15:47. Reason: edited quote
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-08, 15:45   Link #68
Sumeragi
Banned

I think the main problem here is that unlike Mikoto, none of the other three have ever faced even a tiny bit of the true Darkness. Compared to the relatively mild incidents, Level 6 Shift was far more brutal and dark, with the goal of actual murder unlike a possibility of death. That's the reason why the other three does not seem to have development/growth.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-08, 16:30   Link #69
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTalon View Post
I don't know, she seemed suspicious that something was being covered up which should mean she is at least aware of the possibility. What I think would really be out of character is if she just laid back and did nothing.
I think it's out of character for a lot of people to just lay back and do nothing but that's just me. Apparently this happens to her a lot, though, so it must be a wider reaching plot hole if you think it's out of character in this instance.
Old 2013-09-08, 16:49   Link #70
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTalon View Post
She probably does know about the darker undercurrents, but her position in Anti-Skill means her movements are restricted. The best "bet" so to speak is to let Mikoto handle it, since in a way Mikoto has a certain immunity against authority and influence.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-08, 17:23   Link #71
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
She probably does know about the darker undercurrents, but her position in Anti-Skill means her movements are restricted. The best "bet" so to speak is to let Mikoto handle it, since in a way Mikoto has a certain immunity against authority and influence.
Uiharu and Kuroko is one thing since they're in Judgement after all, but it bothers me when they bring Saten along who neither has the power nor skill sets for this. Unless you coincidentally need a level zero to run around deactivating anti esper devices....
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-08, 17:24   Link #72
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Uiharu and Kuroko is one thing since they're in Judgement after all, but it bothers me when they bring Saten along who neither has the power nor skill sets for this. Unless you coincidentally need a level zero to run around deactivating anti esper devices....
Well, having her along did save their asses back during the Poltergeist arc...
Old 2013-09-08, 17:37   Link #73
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
lol Saten... that damn bat.
ACertainStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-08, 18:17   Link #74
Ashaman

Quote:
I agree with you about how just pure anime-watchers might feel, but in the end the anime was an adaptation of the original material; it wasn't the original material deciding the fate of the show (though it has some unique quirks to it).

Also, he might have had the friendship theme in mind... and even if Kamachi didn't, he wants everything to be as consistent as possible in the franchise so since the arc is considered canon, whatever appeared in that arc is now canon, even the friendship theme.
I think the problem with the Railgun anime is, when taken as a separate, stand alone work, it works decently well.

Characters likable and decently developed, no glaring plot holes.

We can squabble about how entertaining the SoL segments though that's largely down to personal taste. (I'm largely not entertained by them)

The problems arise when you look bring it into perspective with Index.

Like it or not, Railgun is a companion piece to Index.

And when that is taken into account you realize that its riddled with character inconsistencies, a smattering of small plot holes, and so much wasted potential.

I gave this episode a poor rating partially because of the above, but also because the villains of the arc are pure cheese and Misaka's poor reasoning when including her friends. Not because they are her friends and they deserve to know. Not because they can/will help her. But because she feels guilty for worrying them. Yes, because the guilt she feels for worrying them far out weighs the guilt she'll feel if one of them gets hurt.
Old 2013-09-08, 18:27   Link #75
kache
Asobo~
*IT Support

Nice to see them work as a team.

Watching at the moment: click on the image.

kache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-08, 18:37   Link #76
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Can I just remind people to keep a lid on alleged character inconsistencies based on how certain characters behave in future arcs? Because I can guarantee you that anime only viewers won't care to know...
Old 2013-09-08, 19:32   Link #77
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Can I just remind people to keep a lid on alleged character inconsistencies based on how certain characters behave in future arcs? Because I can guarantee you that anime only viewers won't care to know...
I was going to say the same thing. I'm sick and tired of hearing allusions to how this or that thing that happened in this episode messes with future canon. If it's future canon, it can't be discussed here! You have to wait until it happens in the anime to discuss it in the anime thread. See also here.

If you (all) want me to create a special thread for this (in the manga section), someone request it, but no more in this thread.

Edit: No need to request. I created the thread.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-09-08 at 19:42.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-08, 22:12   Link #78
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashaman View Post
I think the problem with the Railgun anime is, when taken as a separate, stand alone work, it works decently well.

Characters likable and decently developed, no glaring plot holes.

We can squabble about how entertaining the SoL segments though that's largely down to personal taste. (I'm largely not entertained by them)

The problems arise when you look bring it into perspective with Index.

Like it or not, Railgun is a companion piece to Index.

And when that is taken into account you realize that its riddled with character inconsistencies, a smattering of small plot holes, and so much wasted potential.

I gave this episode a poor rating partially because of the above, but also because the villains of the arc are pure cheese and Misaka's poor reasoning when including her friends. Not because they are her friends and they deserve to know. Not because they can/will help her. But because she feels guilty for worrying them. Yes, because the guilt she feels for worrying them far out weighs the guilt she'll feel if one of them gets hurt.
This is true. I completely agree with what you are saying here.

I'm an LN reader so I happen to view Railgun S as world-building + extras.

But right now what is confusing me is why people think Misaka's reason for including her friends was so out of place. I mean a large part of railgun is to show how Misaka gets character development. So while the earlier villains in this arc (I agree) did look at least a little lame, we still don't know that much about them. And we should take everything into perspective. They aren't that lame. Last time in season 1, Terestina became a much better villain IMO as the arc went along. So I think the same may happen here.

So in the early part of this season, Mikoto turned away from her friends. She needs to rely on her friends now... While, the transition to having her friends help her seemed at *slightly* unnatural, it's at least nice to see her character develop a little bit.

Though I am curious right now as to how the rest of this arc will play out. It seems definite that at the Academic Convention (whatever its called), there will be some trouble started by the group of evil scientists. This arc is definitely interesting at least to me because right now I have no clue where this arc is going There's a first time for everything in railgun I guess
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-08, 22:44   Link #79
rladls716

Is there any chance that Misaki will get involved in this arc?

In addition, will Aogami just be forgotten as a cameo character?
rladls716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-08, 23:37   Link #80
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by rladls716 View Post
Is there any chance that Misaki will get involved in this arc?
Highly unlikely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rladls716 View Post
In addition, will Aogami just be forgotten as a cameo character?
When was he anything else?
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote