Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2008-12-08, 17:32   Link #201
Mr. Shabaz
Lazy Member

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shabaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by emptyeighty View Post
Make sure you have the latest CCCP and are using the included players. Then reset settings/re-register filters in CCCP settings, 2nd page. If said files have H.264 video, try CoreAVC.

On a 5 year old computer, it's perfectly possible that 720p or above won't play. I'd have to know your exact CPU model and GHz amount though to make any further statement.
Intel(R) Celeron(TM) CPU
1400MHz
1.40 GHz, 256 MB of RAM

I'll try reinstalling CCCP as outlined above and see if there is any improvement. I'll also check CoreAVC to make sure that is up to date as well. Are there any settings under CoreAVC I should be changing as well?
Old 2008-12-08, 18:00   Link #202
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Shabaz View Post
Intel(R) Celeron(TM) CPU
1400MHz
1.40 GHz, 256 MB of RAM

I'll try reinstalling CCCP as outlined above and see if there is any improvement. I'll also check CoreAVC to make sure that is up to date as well. Are there any settings under CoreAVC I should be changing as well?
With those specs i don't think you can run h264 over 704x400 properly. Try put the deblocking to "always skip", in the coreavc settings.
Old 2008-12-08, 20:20   Link #203
Mr. Shabaz
Lazy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
With those specs i don't think you can run h264 over 704x400 properly. Try put the deblocking to "always skip", in the coreavc settings.
Well, I reinstalled both and the default settings by themselves don't play any mkv files. I turned of Autoload VSFilter and VSFilter Subpicture Pre-Buffering in CCCP. I also. On CoreAVC, I turned on where it says Preferred decoder and also turned deinterlacing to None. Deblocking I kept as skip always. With these settings I'm able to play the Allison and Lillia videos from AniYoshi just fine, but the Gai Re Zero files have an audio lag by 2 to 3 seconds.

*Update* So I tried using VLC player, and the audio/video are are now synced perfectly. However, playback is still a bit choppy. Any other settings I may want to change?

Last edited by Mr. Shabaz; 2008-12-08 at 20:47.
Old 2008-12-09, 02:06   Link #204
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
*Update* So I tried using VLC player, and the audio/video are are now synced perfectly. However, playback is still a bit choppy. Any other settings I may want to change?
Choppy playback.. Try not to run it full-screen and also not to keep other programs closed before playing the video. It might work..
Old 2008-12-09, 08:58   Link #205
Sides

Quote:
Well, I reinstalled both and the default settings by themselves don't play any mkv files. I turned of Autoload VSFilter and VSFilter Subpicture Pre-Buffering in CCCP. I also. On CoreAVC, I turned on where it says Preferred decoder and also turned deinterlacing to None. Deblocking I kept as skip always. With these settings I'm able to play the Allison and Lillia videos from AniYoshi just fine, but the Gai Re Zero files have an audio lag by 2 to 3 seconds.
Check the bitrates, i can imaging that AniYoshis' Allison and Lillia has a lower bitrate than their Ga-Rei Zero release.
2 thinks you can try, but i doubt it will make any major difference, check that you have selected the overlay mixer as output and up the buffer in the haali media splitter a bit. Also check applications you have running in the background.
Old 2008-12-21, 23:47   Link #206
sperry

Send a message via AIM to sperry
Sorry if this has been asked before, I really have no idea what I'm doing here. I'm trying to play mkv files with VLC. It works fine-ish, except the subtitles are waaay too big. is there any way I can change the size? also if there's two separate subtitles at the same time (such as a location name and a voice over) they overlap and i can't read them. anything to be done about this? thanks.
Old 2008-12-22, 04:47   Link #207
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

pick one of the following:
a) don't use VLC
b) update VLC to at least 0.9.2 or newer

alternative a is likely to solve your problem if you pick something that is sufficiently softsub-capable; on Windows go with CCCP as per the sticky thread, on unix use Mplayer, on MacOS use Perian or Mplayer (see the mplayer for mac thread).
alternative b may or may not solve your problem; in theory it probably should but vlc is pretty shitty even after all the changes in 0.9.x.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2008-12-24, 11:24   Link #208
sperry

Send a message via AIM to sperry
hah. of course it would be as simple as updating VLC. problem solved, thanks a bunch.
Old 2009-01-12, 22:52   Link #209
Heartless
Sephiroth

I just installed the CCCP pack and here are the logs.

Spoiler for Test render log for Code Geass R2 ep 25.:

Spoiler for My configuration log.:

I feel its my processor (Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.66GHz) that cant process it fast enough as its always at 100% cpu usage when running the file. I used MPC to play the file. (I had to cut out a little from the config log as it was going over 50,000 characters, but i only cut the filters at the end. In total i have 286 filters and you can see 250 due to the size limit.)
Old 2009-01-13, 18:21   Link #210
Rawgers
Nyaa~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartless View Post
I just installed the CCCP pack and here are the logs.

Spoiler for Test render log for Code Geass R2 ep 25.:

Spoiler for My configuration log.:

I feel its my processor (Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.66GHz) that cant process it fast enough as its always at 100% cpu usage when running the file. I used MPC to play the file. (I had to cut out a little from the config log as it was going over 50,000 characters, but i only cut the filters at the end. In total i have 286 filters and you can see 250 due to the size limit.)
Mmmm. Try these steps..
1) Download CoreAVC (Google to find it legally (or free but illegal))
2) On CCCP settings, uncheck the decoding for H264
3) Play the file
4) See if it works

If these steps do not work, than it is your processor can not handle 720p videos. I'm guessing you'll be fine with anything lower than that.
Old 2009-01-14, 06:50   Link #211
Heartless
Sephiroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawgers View Post
Mmmm. Try these steps..
1) Download CoreAVC (Google to find it legally (or free but illegal))
2) On CCCP settings, uncheck the decoding for H264
3) Play the file
4) See if it works

If these steps do not work, than it is your processor can not handle 720p videos. I'm guessing you'll be fine with anything lower than that.
I followed your above steps but it did not seem to wanna run it smoothly. Its the old desktop processor thats the problem for sure now. I am glad my new laptop has a 2.8Gh Core 2 Duo processor, I cant wait for it to get here XD.

Thanks for your help and the timely reply Rawgers

P.S: Just out of curiosity, from where exactly did you know that the vid I am trying to play is a 720p as I couldnt see any resolution details in the log. Maybe I can share the helpful information in the future

Last edited by Heartless; 2009-01-14 at 06:55. Reason: More information was needed.
Old 2009-01-14, 12:53   Link #212
Snider
Banned

MKV is a format that doesnt play on living room dvd player even if it contains xvid inside, thats why i always try to download xvid avi container
Old 2009-01-14, 17:11   Link #213
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snider View Post
MKV is a format that doesnt play on living room dvd player even if it contains xvid inside, thats why i always try to download xvid avi container
Hurr hurr TV-Out cable.
Old 2009-01-14, 18:19   Link #214
Rawgers
Nyaa~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartless View Post
P.S: Just out of curiosity, from where exactly did you know that the vid I am trying to play is a 720p as I couldnt see any resolution details in the log. Maybe I can share the helpful information in the future
I'm not sure what your question is, so I'll give a shot in what I believe it is about.

I knew that your file was 720p since gg only released 720p for their Code Geass R2 releases (that are in MKV format). I did not see it in the log, but I watched R2 over the summer and always remembered that gg releases in only 720p (if you exlude the xvid avi). The reason I knew was due in this case was through personal experience.

Unlike gg, a lot of fansub groups add the resolution on the file name. For example for this episode of the show
"[Seto Otaku] Ef ~A Tale of Memories.~ Ep 01 [Blu-Ray] (1280x720 H264 AAC 5.1ch) [16F890F7].mkv" or sometimes the group adds 720p as you can see in this "Gunbuster_Movie_(1988)_[720p,BluRay,x264]_part1_-_THORA.mkv" So, if this was the case, I would be able to see the resolution in the log.
Old 2009-01-14, 20:01   Link #215
Heartless
Sephiroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawgers View Post
I'm not sure what your question is, so I'll give a shot in what I believe it is about.

I knew that your file was 720p since gg only released 720p for their Code Geass R2 releases (that are in MKV format). I did not see it in the log, but I watched R2 over the summer and always remembered that gg releases in only 720p (if you exlude the xvid avi). The reason I knew was due in this case was through personal experience.

Unlike gg, a lot of fansub groups add the resolution on the file name. For example for this episode of the show
"[Seto Otaku] Ef ~A Tale of Memories.~ Ep 01 [Blu-Ray] (1280x720 H264 AAC 5.1ch) [16F890F7].mkv" or sometimes the group adds 720p as you can see in this "Gunbuster_Movie_(1988)_[720p,BluRay,x264]_part1_-_THORA.mkv" So, if this was the case, I would be able to see the resolution in the log.
Ok cool. Thats the reason why I havent been able to run Gg's "Tales of the Abyss". I hope some group picks up Naurto
Old 2009-01-15, 11:37   Link #216
kingsky123
Higurashi fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milvus View Post
Your CPU is probably the problem, it's not enough for 720p H.264. I have a Athlon 2600+ (~1.9GHz) , it manage to play 720p quite well (with FFDshow) but it's still a bit borderline (80-90% CPU Usage, some lag from time to time on heavy motion OP).

Unfortunately, hardware upgrade is probably the only choice with certain results. Don't know a lot about overclocking, so I can't say if it will help you, will be unsufficient or will fry your computer.
overclock only if you can really cool your computer, or else dont bother it will fry lol
Old 2009-01-15, 13:13   Link #217
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsky123 View Post
overclock only if you can really cool your computer, or else dont bother it will fry lol
No. It SHOULD shut down before that would happen.
Old 2009-01-26, 22:40   Link #218
Mr. Shabaz
Lazy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Check the bitrates, i can imaging that AniYoshis' Allison and Lillia has a lower bitrate than their Ga-Rei Zero release.
2 thinks you can try, but i doubt it will make any major difference, check that you have selected the overlay mixer as output and up the buffer in the haali media splitter a bit. Also check applications you have running in the background.
Ok, I'm gonna give this one last ditch effort. I downloaded the CCCP insurgent and created a log of a file I tried to play. Different from the Ga-Rei Zero file, but similar specs.

Spoiler:

Ok, so if my computer really is too old to play mkv files greater than 700*400, are there any upgrades I could do that might help play some of these files or is it a lost cause?

Finally, I do want to upgrade to a new computer someday. What would be the minimum specs that should I be looking for in order to play 720p mkv files. Naturally I use my comp for much more than watching anime, but at the same time I don't use it as a gaming machine at all or do any 'high end user' tasks. Mostly internet really.
Old 2009-01-27, 04:55   Link #219
emptyeighty

Quote:
[Codec/Filter Packs]
[2 detected]
1> Combined Community Codec Pack (2008-09-21) (Installed)
2> Matroska Pack (Installed)
NEVER have two codec packs installed at the same time. Also, CCCP is the successor to Matroska Pack, which is way outdated by now. Uninstall both, then reinstall just CCCP with default settings (except disabling H.264 for CoreAVC). Then use CCCP players and post another log.

Quote:
Ok, so if my computer really is too old to play mkv files greater than 700*400, are there any upgrades I could do that might help play some of these files or is it a lost cause?
Video decoding depends entirely on the CPU*. Your CPU is just way too slow to handle 720p H.264, sorry
*there are GPU decoders, but they have their own set of problems.

Quote:
Finally, I do want to upgrade to a new computer someday. What would be the minimum specs that should I be looking for in order to play 720p mkv files. Naturally I use my comp for much more than watching anime, but at the same time I don't use it as a gaming machine at all or do any 'high end user' tasks. Mostly internet really.
You need the fastest CPU you can get. Right now a Core2 at 2.0GHz should handle 720p without problems. Most 1080p should work too.
Old 2009-01-27, 11:21   Link #220
Mr. Shabaz
Lazy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emptyeighty View Post
NEVER have two codec packs installed at the same time. Also, CCCP is the successor to Matroska Pack, which is way outdated by now. Uninstall both, then reinstall just CCCP with default settings (except disabling H.264 for CoreAVC). Then use CCCP players and post another log.
Right, I had just installed that recently as an attempt to help out, but I'll uninstall and reinstall CCCP to get back to my original settings. I'll post the test file again after that

Quote:
Video decoding depends entirely on the CPU*. Your CPU is just way too slow to handle 720p H.264, sorry
*there are GPU decoders, but they have their own set of problems.
Right. The file I was trying to play wasn't 720p, but the screen resolution was something along the lines of 850x450(something like that, I'm posting this from a different comp so I don't have the file to double check. I was able to play mkv files with 700x400 res no problem.

Quote:
You need the fastest CPU you can get. Right now a Core2 at 2.0GHz should handle 720p without problems. Most 1080p should work too.
Well, there is a new computer I am looking at right now. It comes with an Intel Pentium Dual-Core, 2.2GHz and 800MHz. I would think this would be sufficient but I'm not a computer expert either. Thanks for the feedback though.

Tags
matroska, mkv, wiki candidate