AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2013-07-20, 14:16   Link #1
DJ_Applejack
Space Pony

Exclamation Looking for mystery killer animes (Mafia game/Agatha Christie)

Hello I'm looking for mystery killer or horror animes. I was wondering if anyone could suggest some!

I'm looking for more animes like "Danganronpa: Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei " but that's still going so I need something thats finished to tide me over until it finishes.

Also any animes like the Mafia game (a killer in the group but no one knows who the killer is) or adaptation of Agatha Christie books are greatly appreciated!
DJ_Applejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-20, 20:47   Link #2
GreatTeacherKen

There's Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni, which is also an adaptation of a horror/mystery video game/visual novel. The anime spans two seasons plus a few OVAs. The main mystery is resolved by the second season. The mystery is a pretty well thought out one and quite complicated. It's a hard series to talk about extensively without spoiling so if you want to watch it without spoilers, you should go watch it straight away without looking at online forums.
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-21, 06:45   Link #3
DJ_Applejack
Space Pony

Okay thanks! I'll check it out.

Still welcome to any more suggestions ^^
Old 2013-07-21, 07:11   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Does the show need to have a "whodunit" aspect? If not, then you should definitely watch Monster. The villain is known pretty much from the start; the pursuit takes 74 episodes. VIZ no longer has the license for Monster, so I'll post a torrent link.

Nijuu Mensou no Musume is based on a spin-off manga that uses characters from the writings of Edogawa Rampo, the Arthur Conan Doyle of Japan. Nijuu Mensou is a famous master thief; he kidnaps his "daughter" who chooses to join his gang.

Shion no Ou combines a traditional "levelling-up" story with a murder mystery. Young Shion witnessed her parents' brutal murder at age four. When the story opens she is turning thirteen and trying to become a professional Shougi ("Japanese chess") player. Her climb through the ranks of Shougi takes place in parallel with an investigation into the murder of her parents.

Yakushiji Ryoko is the chief of the "Supernatural Division" of the Tokyo Police and the daughter of the powerful head of a private investigation agency. She and her male subordinate investigate various supernatural events. The first half plays more like a "monster-of the-week" story, but there is a longer-running mystery in the second half. I thought the writing, especially the repartee between the mains, helped compensate for the rather weak plots.

Mouryou no Hako
concerns a series of brutal murders of adolescent girls whose limbs are boxed up and displayed in various parts of a small regional city. It's a bit slow going in the middle, but the combination of mystery and horror might make it your best bet. Do a Google search for the complete torrent; it's on a site I cannot list here because it archives licensed shows. Here's the first episode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRRgImUjk0g. Don't be put off by the "class-S" romance between the adolescent girls in this episode. Things move along from there quickly.

Of course, there's always Detective Conan (aka "Case Closed").

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2013-07-21 at 07:33.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-21, 21:52   Link #5
DJ_Applejack
Space Pony

I love whodunit type books/shows!!

Will definitely check those out, thanks SeijiSensei!!

Also I should mention that I really enjoyed the HBO show "Harpers Island" which is what I'm looking for but not in anime form.
Old 2013-07-22, 08:23   Link #6
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Maybe Another would be something for you. It is more a "curse" than murder, but still, it feels like the characters are trying to catch a culprit.
Old 2013-07-22, 08:54   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Applejack View Post
I love whodunit type books/shows!!
If you've not read the novels of P.D. James, I suggest you give them a try.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-22, 15:09   Link #8
DJ_Applejack
Space Pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
If you've not read the novels of P.D. James, I suggest you give them a try.
I'm currently reading the "Wheel of Time" series but I will look into it when I'm done (still on second book lol).
Old 2014-02-12, 16:01   Link #9
ToadSage
The great fence sitter

I think Death Note will meet your needs, since it's about murders and detectives. It's got a bit of horror (well, sort of) and fantasy in it too. It's an excellent anime.

ToadSage is offline   Reply With Quote