Notices

Old 2013-09-05, 19:22   Link #581
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

great episode

all protagonist together too cool
Old 2013-09-05, 19:31   Link #582
shadow1296

awesome episode, the way the teams fight together was great, even though i find nora very annoying she really does know how to fight well, jeanne is a natural leader who knew oh wait pyrrha, and that finishing move with ruby was epic

team cardinal(forgot the acronym letters) obviously going to be important since they got character designs, and looks like that villain from first episodes target is beacon
Old 2013-09-05, 19:47   Link #583
Metalsnakezero
Trio Finale!

Now that was a awesome episodes. Team work from all sides, characters using every form of their abilities, and foreshadowing.
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic176117_1.gif
Metalsnakezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-05, 19:50   Link #584
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

combo combo combo time's yeah~
Old 2013-09-05, 20:09   Link #585
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
Anyone care to explain why Nora isn't the Main Character? She's clearly more awesome than any of the others xD
It's so difficult to play favorites, or choose who is the most awesome. I'm so glad we got to see Nora in action, and I gotta say she was far more awesome than I could have imagined her to be after what little we had seen of her. I feel like we were led dawn a rosy path, thinking of her as a ditsy, gushy, if even goofy girly-girl (well, she still is all that). But, man, is she a fearless fighter. And she has a blast at the same time. Her weapon suits her so well, too, is it "The Hammer of Love?" Plus she's absolutely hilarious to watch. "Aw, it's broken," and her song and dance made me laugh out loud.

Probably one of the best outcomes of the episode was that Weiss got to see Ruby in action, and just how awesome she can be. Not only that, but that Ruby actually came up with a plan to defeat Big Bird which actually involved all four of them working as a team, not just herself, and that it actually worked. Whether she'll actually ever admit it or not is speculative, but I'm sure Weiss has a new found respect for Ruby's skills. I will admit that Weiss redeemed herself quite a bit this episode by admitting that she could be difficult and that she would be nicer. However, I do think that Weiss was expecting to be selected as the team leader, after all, she's the "smartest girl in the school."

Yang is definitely on her way to earning my big sister of the season award. She loves her sister, and shows it. She's protective. And she's very proud of Ruby.

Although Jaune, once again, provided comic relief, I was glad to see that, instead of the spineless wimp some people thought he was, he actually has a good backbone and doesn't run away from a fight, screaming like a sissy. Although he didn't seem to be that affective a fighter himself, he did provide the leadership that ultimately defeated the monster.

But, yeah, Nora was, for me, the most awesome character in this episode. Of all the second team characters, she's the one I'd most like to see have her own, solo trailer.
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-05, 20:17   Link #586
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

I think everyone who loves such a person thinks he or she deserve to be the main character

example for me : Blake ~ she so cool, mysterious is Ruby said that

Quote:
Yang is definitely on her way to earning my big sister of the season award. She loves her sister, and shows it. She's protective. And she's very proud of Ruby.
+5 True !
Old 2013-09-05, 20:19   Link #587
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

I'll be honest...I liked Team JNPR's fight against the scorpion much more than Team RWBY.
Don't get me wrong, Team RWBY's combo was awesome (they get bonuses for being the MC team) but the whole combo Team JNPR made just looked much cooler and held together.

Blake is already a MC...true, Ruby is the main...main character but Blake is right there with the rest of Team RWBY...all I hope is that we see a lot of Team JNPR as well.
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-05, 20:26   Link #588
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

Fantastic episode!! Best episode so far...

Although I don't like how they set up the teams' leader.... Choosing Ruby as leader will bring some disaster in the future considering her immature and hot-head nature... at least she is humble and want to listen to others
I can foresee there will be a moment when Blake and Weiss went to their own way because Ruby being selfish

JNPR got a very good understanding to each other... but team RWBY got the best teamwork ever.
Hopefully they can do many episodes like this (and seems like this one is longer than previous episodes)
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-05, 20:51   Link #589
Tenzen12

I agree that it might cause trouble in future, but at least she doesn't seems have intend show up anymore (she lost lot of worth in my eyes recently so I am glad for that improvement). And ultimately she has lot of potencial, which is what Oz is interested more than quick results (otherwise he wouldn't pick Jaune either).

Anyway I didn't expected Lie having that little of endurence, needs more training.

PS:Yeah, Nora was DAMN EPIC. Hammer-Grenade Luncher is cool idea
Tenzen12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-05, 21:46   Link #590
GreatTeacherKen

My favorite episode of this series to date. There was a lot of great action, humor, and heartwarming moments packed into thirteen minutes. The fight in this episode felt much grander in scale in comparison to past fights what with all of the main characters participating as well as the mountain setting and dynamic visuals. We also get to see Weiss and Ruby's relationship warm up a bit.

I also liked that scene after the battle when the characters are about to leave the mountain, Yang stands still for a bit smiling proudly at Ruby. It's a nice small heartwarming moment.
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-05, 21:54   Link #591
Funkatron
Highly irregular

Nora reminds me very much of Iron Man: Armored Adventure's version of Pepper Potts: Hyperactive genki girl turned up to 11
Funkatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-05, 22:26   Link #592
CBredbeard
Banned

I disliked the episode. I'll watch it again to see if I change my impression of it.
CBredbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-05, 22:53   Link #593
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

I like how the bird tanked through everything until the final combo attack.

Can't really get behind Nora's character but her last spin attack was impressive. Also the BGM that's playing during team RWBY is pretty nice. Ruby and White with their antics during the shot, best friends forever. Really like how White uses magic.

Also sooooooo many moments that are taken right out of Dead Fantasy and Advent Children. Not that I'm complaining

Last edited by Eisdrache; 2013-09-05 at 23:05.
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-05, 23:59   Link #594
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Definitely my favourite episode yet. I've gotten to like Nora quite a bit, if we didn't know she was fighting horrible monsters, we wouldn't know from her carefree attitude, and I really like that.

The teamups were great, and I particularly liked the contrast between Jaune and Ruby's leadership styles. On that note, it was nice to see Jaune do something good this episode, plus Ruby and Weiss getting along.

I'll agree with Eisdrache that the BGM playing during Team RWBY's fight was great, very catchy.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-06, 01:08   Link #595
CBredbeard
Banned

Things I didn't like.

1.) Weiss was afraid of falling when her "landing strategy" was the most controlled of all. A fall from that height should be nothing to her.

2.) Everyone standing around when the monsters first showed up. Drained all of the tension out of the atmosphere.

3.) Yang's eyes turning red and her catching fire. This has to be used sparingly for it to continue to have any impact.

4.) Nora knocked Blake off the bridge. That really just pissed me off.

5.) Implying that the plan was all Ruby. She may have had some vague notion of using Blake's sickle to slingshot her, but she hardly communicated anything to the others. Yang seemed to pick up the gist of it with a single glance. Weiss's contribution was likely her filling in the rather sizable gaps with her own skill set. If I had to give a number, I'd say the plan was 50% Weiss, 25% Ruby, 15% Blake, and 10% Yang.

6.) We didn't see how they were graded. Accomplishing the mission is one thing, but it is a school and simply passing isn't good enough.
Old 2013-09-06, 01:39   Link #596
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBredbeard View Post
Things I didn't like.

1.) Weiss was afraid of falling when her "landing strategy" was the most controlled of all. A fall from that height should be nothing to her.
Just because she can land safely doesn't mean she won't be afraid. She can fight perfectly well, but she was nervous when those monsters showed up in the forest.

Quote:
2.) Everyone standing around when the monsters first showed up. Drained all of the tension out of the atmosphere.
They were tired, plus unexpected events tend to make folk freeze up.

Quote:
3.) Yang's eyes turning red and her catching fire. This has to be used sparingly for it to continue to have any impact.
Eh, I suppose.

Quote:
I wasn't that upset, but I get what you're saying. I like Nora, but she needs to learn to look around her when she's swinging that hammer/ firing that grenade launcher.

Quote:
5.) Implying that the plan was all Ruby. She may have had some vague notion of using Blake's sickle to slingshot her, but she hardly communicated anything to the others. Yang seemed to pick up the gist of it with a single glance. Weiss's contribution was likely her filling in the rather sizable gaps with her own skill set. If I had to give a number, I'd say the plan was 50% Weiss, 25% Ruby, 15% Blake, and 10% Yang.
The idea was definitely all Ruby: only she would conceive of something like that. Weiss probably did work out the kinks though. That seems to be the formation, Ruby comes up with the ideas, Weiss makes them practical, and Yang and Blake make it work.

Quote:
6.) We didn't see how they were graded. Accomplishing the mission is one thing, but it is a school and simply passing isn't good enough.
Lots of schools have pass/fail only courses.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-06, 02:20   Link #597
Hedd
Random Object

Old 2013-09-06, 04:03   Link #598
Xiyon

I liked this episode overall. Monty Oum and crew really did good with these characters, and the fluidity of that fight was on par with a lot of (what I consider as) high-budget anime like MJP and SnK. I'm left salivating at what Monty could do with more people or a bigger budget.

Still, the episode wasn't without fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBredbeard View Post

Agreed.

Come to think, since Weiss can 'air walk' and lunge at superspeed, couldn't she just have waited for the bird to come to her then attack? o_0 Granted, that won't be as pretty to look at as what we got, but still...

Quote:
Eh, I think that was for comic relief I did enjoy Yang's little tantrum, though.

Quote:
I actually like seeing Yang 'transform' whenever she gets pissed and, again, I think that was for comic relief. I do want to see if there's anything more to Yang's catching fire than that, though... like if she's not fully human.

Then again, it could just be her aura manifesting.

Quote:
I was stunned when that happened. Kudos to Monty for keeping track of all his characters in a fight this massive in scale (and choreography).

Quote:
Sometimes, I wonder just how physically strong these characters are supposed to be. I was expecting Ruby to decapitate the bird on the first trigger, but somehow she's able to drag it all the way up a cliff by its neck? It was an awesome sequence, but it still felt strange to me.

Quote:
Eh, I don't think the grading is that important. As viewers, we already get to 'grade' the strengths and weaknesses of the characters based on how they fought.

I think, between the two fights, I like JNPR's better. The battle felt more balanced and it displayed the strengths of each character, albeit in a standard 4-man band sort-of way. Pyrrha's the tank, Jaune's the leader (and possibly tactician, but it's too early to tell), Nora's their berserker, and Ren's the vanguard.

I felt sorry for Pyrrha when she was getting smacked by the Deathstalker while Jaune was off 'catching' Weiss, but then Jaune came back to support her, inexperienced as he is. There's a hero somewhere in Jaune, at least.

Nora took the cake though. Giddy, bubbly, and self-absorbed Nora just did everything the way she wanted to without care for the consequences. In this respect, I find her very amusing and likeable, but she's not someone I'd want to hang around with for extended periods of time.
Xiyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-06, 07:12   Link #599
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Yami~ View Post
Fantastic episode!! Best episode so far...
I'll agree wholeheartedly with this!

Quote:
Although I don't like how they set up the teams' leader.... Choosing Ruby as leader will bring some disaster in the future considering her immature and hot-head nature... at least she is humble and want to listen to others
I can foresee there will be a moment when Blake and Weiss went to their own way because Ruby being selfish
But I can't go along with this.

In the first place, Ruby showed definite leadership, thinking in terms of organizing each individual teammates' skills into a consolidated attack, whereas the rest of the team didn't seem to be able to connect the dots. Her quick thinking as she surveyed the situation (you can almost hear the gears turning and smell the rubber burning) is something you would want in a leader. Ruby is also fearless in battle and not afraid to take on multiple human opponents bigger and stronger than herself.

Let's face it, of the four choices, there really isn't much else to consider. Blake is a follower, not a leader. That's a given. Not only is Weiss not quick-witted enough to make instantaneous decisions (I wonder how she would have fared in Ruby's place against Torchwick and his henchmen in the dust store heist), she does not have the temperament to control the troops, so to speak. Yang, well, she'd rather let her baby sister shine and take all the glory. Plus, she'd rather just fight and fight and fight.

Lastly, although it might be true that either Blake or Weiss may go their own way at some point in the future, I don't see that as a strictly Ruby issue. I particularly don't see Ruby as being "selfish." I don't know where that comes from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiyon View Post
Come to think, since Weiss can 'air walk' and lunge at superspeed, couldn't she just have waited for the bird to come to her then attack? o_0 Granted, that won't be as pretty to look at as what we got, but still...
I put it down to one of two things: 1. she was scared witless, like she was by the monster in the forest, and momentarily lost her faculties to think properly, or, 2. (which I prefer) she was left hanging so she would fall, Jaune would catch her, and the ensuing comedy would happen.

It seems to me that some people are taking things too seriously and forgetting that this is not a fighting anime played straight. There's a lot of great humor and of course things will happen that would not otherwise happen if it was all played for reality. Makes me wonder if Monty watched a lot of Wiley E. Coyote cartoons when he was young.

Quote:
I was stunned when that happened. Kudos to Monty for keeping track of all his characters in a fight this massive in scale (and choreography).
I just don't get why the rash of complaints for an unforeseen consequence. It's not like Nora intended to knock Blake off the roadway. Nora did, in fact, land squarely on her feet and was not sliding backwards until she was hit by the scorpion's tail. Perhaps it's really a reflection of Blake's own character that, like the incident with the spidery mechanoid in her own trailer, she wasn't able to react quick enough to jump out of the way. Of course, if she had, then Blake would have ended up on the same team as Juane, Pyrrah, and Ren, and Nora would have ended up on the team with Ruby, Weiss, and Yang. RWVY just doesn't have the same ring to it.

The choreography is amazing, but the fight scene with the twins in the Yellow Trailer is still my favorite.

Quote:
Sometimes, I wonder just how physically strong these characters are supposed to be. I was expecting Ruby to decapitate the bird on the first trigger, but somehow she's able to drag it all the way up a cliff by its neck? It was an awesome sequence, but it still felt strange to me.
Not strange at all. Ruby was also using the firepower of Crescent Rose to propel Big Bird up the cliff, not just her own strength. Weiss' magic circles probably also made it a lot easier for her to run up the nearly perpendicular cliff.

Nonetheless, they do seem to be stronger than the average 17 and 15 year old teenagers (girls or boys). Must be all that training. Maybe there's a special ingredient in Pumpkin Pete's Marshmallow Flakes.

Quote:
I felt sorry for Pyrrha when she was getting smacked by the Deathstalker while Jaune was off 'catching' Weiss, but then Jaune came back to support her, inexperienced as he is. There's a hero somewhere in Jaune, at least.
To tell the truth, I was a little bit disappointed with Pyrrah. I had hoped to see her display fighting skills on par with Ruby and Yang. I was more impressed with Jaune, not that his fighting skills were anything to speak about, but that he actually got in there with the rest of them. Anyone who risks their own life to save the life of another human being is a hero in my book.

Quote:
Nora took the cake though. Giddy, bubbly, and self-absorbed Nora just did everything the way she wanted to without care for the consequences. In this respect, I find her very amusing and likeable, but she's not someone I'd want to hang around with for extended periods of time.
As much as I like Nora, I think Ren deserves a medal for putting up with her for so long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedd View Post
Thanks for this! I agree with Xiyon that Nora is a berserker, but in a non-traditional Viking way. I had wondered what affiliation with Norse legends her name would have, and now we know: she loves the thrill of the fight. Just look at how happy she is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTeacherKen View Post
I also liked that scene after the battle when the characters are about to leave the mountain, Yang stands still for a bit smiling proudly at Ruby. It's a nice small heartwarming moment.
One of the best scenes in the whole episode!
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-06, 07:30   Link #600
CBredbeard
Banned

Nora is a cute bruiser. She's small, colorful, packs alot of power, and lacks subtly. I despise her for almost killing Blake and not caring one bit. She's dangerous and I wouldn't want to be anywhere near her.

Ruby was chosen to be leader to facilitate the growth of her teammates as well as herself. Not because she's the best one for the job. She would benefit from a little responsibility and having to assert herself. Weiss would benefit from listening to others.

Just like Jaune. Instead of the experienced Ren and Pyrrha, the one with the most to learn was chosen to lead the team.

Ruby did not concoct that entire attack on her own. Right after she says "I have an idea" she ran over to Blake and Weiss charged the bird. We see that charge after Yang shot the bird in the mouth. Weiss pinned it down all on her own without being told, just as Yang caused it to fly into the cliff all on her own. Weiss secured Ruby's footing on the rope all on her own and she made the shot without being told. She set up the magic circles on the cliff side all on her own.

Weiss provided aid and support to her teammates without so much as word from them and never once was a hindrance.

Tags
action, cgi, fairy tale, fantasy, rooster teeth, rwby