AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kill La Kill

Notices

Old 2013-10-04, 03:55   Link #381
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by erika4dsl View Post
^ THIS. It felt like a parody and they pulled it off. By the end she'll have a super uniform that'll cover so much of her skin that we'll be able to hear the cheers of a hundred puritan women.
Actually, it might be that by applying layer after layer of cloth, the whole thing turns into a gigantic exo-suit and the series becomes a mecha show. Because why the fuck not.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-04, 05:15   Link #382
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Pretty much what you'd expect from first episode of an Imaishi anime.
Slam on the gas and hit the floor running.

If it's anything like TTGL, I'm expecting expansion into awesome roller coaster half-way through the series.
I think we're all putting our money on exactly that.
I think the odds are in our favor.
Old 2013-10-04, 05:28   Link #383
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Pretty much what you'd expect from first episode of an Imaishi anime.
Slam on the gas and hit the floor running.

If it's anything like TTGL, I'm expecting expansion into awesome roller coaster half-way through the series.
I think we're all putting our money on exactly that.
I think the odds are in our favor.
It does remind of TTGL, doesn't it? Good pick up. Keep flooring the gas pedal please.... I know I'm going to watch it again to bask in the craziness.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-04, 05:49   Link #384
GreatTeacherKen

A very fast paced and enjoyable first episode. Although there are no mechs, at least not yet, it definitely feels like a spiritual successor to TTGL with all the hot bloodedness and over the top action. Even the premise of the series screams out "Row Row, Fight the Power!"

I also liked that scene when class started and Mako instantly finished her lunch and fell into a deep sleep.

Last edited by GreatTeacherKen; 2013-10-04 at 06:11.
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-04, 05:58   Link #385
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
I think people on both sides of the argument are blowing things out of proportion. No one is suggesting that Kill La Kill is high literature, and no one is denying how it's frenetic and dumb fun. I mean, seriously, with Imaishi at the helm, would you expect something as sedate as Hyouka? Of course not.

"Serious business" is all fine and well, but I don't think there's a place for that here yet.
Old 2013-10-04, 06:06   Link #386
xizro345
King's Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
I think people on both sides of the argument are blowing things out of proportion. No one is suggesting that Kill La Kill is high literature, and no one is denying how it's frenetic and dumb fun. I mean, seriously, with Imaishi at the helm, would you expect something as sedate as Hyouka? Of course not.
Well there's a third view on it. As I said, I didn't find it very "fun" as the fun parts felt very forced. And the sequences are good, but again, at the expense of the less important scenes and with the overuse of static imagery (which may be used as a "cool" feature but surely save budget). I'm not expecting anything extraordinary, but I believe Trigger (and Imaishi himself) hyped this too much.
I think it's odd that despite having non-stop action and very quick pace, it still felt like dragging. Over-the-top moments sure are fun, but if you make the entire episode like this...it just becomes repetitive.
xizro345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-04, 06:26   Link #387
Goty

Send a message via ICQ to Goty
Quote:
Originally Posted by xizro345 View Post
I think it's odd that despite having non-stop action and very quick pace, it still felt like dragging. Over-the-top moments sure are fun, but if you make the entire episode like this...it just becomes repetitive.
I agree. I thought this was more P&SwG and Re:Cutie Honey 1 than it was Gurren Lagann, which is not a good thing imo. The frenetic "music video" editing became kinda exhaustive halfway through the episode. It won't hurt if they tone down the zaniness and loudness a little bit.
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-04, 06:27   Link #388
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
More like, if you do an entire two cour series. A single episode I think can be fine if it works as a way to introduce the premise. Of course we'll need something more than this to carry the series for 26 episodes, and the pace has to slow down at some point. But considering that the MC is basically already at 3 star level (she curbstomped a 2 star), that makes only 5 enemies between her and the top - too little for the series being made entirely of battles, unless it went to Dragonball like extents of dragging them out, which doesn't seem like the case here. So, I think we can fairly expect a bit more of plot and character building, and possibly a change of scenario. I loved the first episode mostly because I saw the potential for all of this; if I hadn't, I'd be mostly worried.

Old 2013-10-04, 06:33   Link #389
xizro345
King's Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gan_HOPE326 View Post
More like, if you do an entire two cour series. A single episode I think can be fine if it works as a way to introduce the premise.
I think the fault for me is that the whole work seems to bash into the viewer skull "See? We're over the top!". The first thing that came into my mind while watching the anime was Kakugo no Susume (the anime version - the manga has a completely different tone), but with the bar of excesses set too high.
Same with the matter of repeating the whole big "sentences" several times. It's not the first anime that does it, but after 3,4,5 times I think it's just something that was used to fill the screen with something.
Also for me most of the cast was absolutely unlilkable. I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to the main character though I have doubts she'll get better.
Old 2013-10-04, 06:36   Link #390
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Just a screen cap, nothing dirty! really!

Spoiler:
Old 2013-10-04, 06:44   Link #391
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
I think the fault for me is that the whole work seems to bash into the viewer skull "See? We're over the top!". The first thing that came into my mind while watching the anime was Kakugo no Susume (the anime version - the manga has a completely different tone), but with the bar of excesses set too high.
Same with the matter of repeating the whole big "sentences" several times. It's not the first anime that does it, but after 3,4,5 times I think it's just something that was used to fill the screen with something.
Also for me most of the cast was absolutely unlilkable. I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to the main character though I have doubts she'll get better.
We'll see I guess. For me it was enjoyable, but yeah, 26 episodes at this pace would be exhausting. I have trust however that the people at Trigger knows better. For one, I am one of the (few, I guess) people who besides loving TTGL, loved Panty & Stocking almost more. So I think these guys are going to deliver something that rings with me again. I understand that doesn't apply to everyone though. Either way it's a very love-it-or-hate-it kind of series.

Old 2013-10-04, 06:55   Link #392
Sol Falling

Good shit. I'm not particularly a Gainax/Triggerfag, but the combination of that kind of prestige with content which matches my preferences (hotblooded female protagonists) leaves me with high hopes for this title.

I particularly enjoyed the humour and animation of the first episode (Mako is both delicious and hilarious). However, I occupy a very much opposite position from the hipsters calling "all style, no substance" so pre-emptively given the staff interviews and comments to the effect that the show's focus is "character drama". A single episode is obviously too little to evaluate accurate expectations regarding that, but I can only say I'm very much optimistic that the writing will lead somewhere solid.

I'll also admit to having developed a minor fetish for Koshimizu Ami's voice despite her having been in so much hetshit, thanks to her roles in Saki and Precure... so her voicework will be something to look forward to too. Certainly, over-the-topness is something I expect to appreciate from this series but there is also plenty of just plain 'normal' quality which I expect this show will be able to deliver (animation, characterization, voicework).

Last edited by Sol Falling; 2013-10-04 at 07:12.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-04, 07:03   Link #393
xizro345
King's Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gan_HOPE326 View Post
We'll see I guess. For me it was enjoyable, but yeah, 26 episodes at this pace would be exhausting. I have trust however that the people at Trigger knows better. For one, I am one of the (few, I guess) people who besides loving TTGL, loved Panty & Stocking almost more. So I think these guys are going to deliver something that rings with me again. I understand that doesn't apply to everyone though. Either way it's a very love-it-or-hate-it kind of series.
I honestly never liked any of the stuff Imaishi did (that includes Gurren Lagann, but the "over the top" aspect wasn't the issue there) up to now. But I approached this work without any preconceptions as I wasn't even sure of what I was expecting. The first impressions weren't that good, but it's too early to give a judgement, so I'll wait and see.
Right now I see Trigger as a studio capable of doing high quality animation (masking some shortcomings with certain techniques), but as far as story goes, right now - of course this can change - I don't buy the "character drama" angle they kept repeating.
Old 2013-10-04, 07:49   Link #394
cuzsal
I watch too much Anime

hmmm ok for some reason just from the art style of the few pics i have seen b4 watching this i thought maybe it might be on line of Gurren Lagann or something. but then i started to watch and 3 mins in i was going wtf is this (but in a good way)

and now that ep 1 is over all i can say is god dam it was to short i need more of what ever this is, had no idea i even needed to watch something like this but i guess i do cause i want ep2 already lol

lol after checking no wonder it gave me a Gurren Lagann feel its directed by the same guy, had no idea till just a min ago lol
cuzsal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-04, 08:05   Link #395
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
I honestly never liked any of the stuff Imaishi did (that includes Gurren Lagann, but the "over the top" aspect wasn't the issue there) up to now. But I approached this work without any preconceptions as I wasn't even sure of what I was expecting. The first impressions weren't that good, but it's too early to give a judgement, so I'll wait and see.
Right now I see Trigger as a studio capable of doing high quality animation (masking some shortcomings with certain techniques), but as far as story goes, right now - of course this can change - I don't buy the "character drama" angle they kept repeating.
So I guess that's a difference of tastes. Gurren Lagann for me had an excellent character arc, but it started with much less bombast. Here it looks like Trigger is throwing the big bombs from the very beginning. Not sure about how is that going to turn out, but as I said, I'm trusting.
On the other side, if you didn't like even TTGL (which was more conventional and had more sense than P&SwG), I really doubt you're going to appreciate this in the future... of course if you want to give it a chance it's only up to you .

Old 2013-10-04, 08:09   Link #396
Dop
Mmmm....

Well, at least we know now why the UK hasn't got this on Crunchy or Daisuke...!
Instead it's going to 'wakanim.co.uk' a UK offshoot of the French service due to start later this month.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-04, 08:24   Link #397
erdii

when ı got to see a uniform to attack a girl I felt I accomplished something in life. I wonder why not fond of these kind of series but I liked the episode I hope it gets better
Old 2013-10-04, 08:34   Link #398
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
Well, at least we know now why the UK hasn't got this on Crunchy or Daisuke...!
Instead it's going to 'wakanim.co.uk' a UK offshoot of the French service due to start later this month.
Qu'est-ce que le fuck ?

Old 2013-10-04, 08:37   Link #399
Friday
Im shy too...

another to keep an eye on
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-04, 08:47   Link #400
Funkatron
Highly irregular

My Gar meter broke... so much gar