AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2021-10-08, 04:52   Link #7201
Shippuu
┐(-。ー')┌

Oh no, Ikkuu is dead. What a shame. He was such a well-developed character. At least he got a riveting reveal about being evil all along five pages before he died. Such depth. Bravo, Akamatsu.

Ikkuu's dialogue about humanity's problems stemming from its limitations and lack of resources makes me wonder if this is what Akamatsu actually believes, because it certainly would explain the infuriating way he handles this topic. The real culprit is human nature itself. Even if you drowned humanity in resources it would never be enough and there would still be problems, and making humanity immortal would only amplify most of its existing problems rather than solving them while adding a bunch of new ones on top of the existing pile of shit. Their idea of reaching some kind of utopian civilization through technological progress is impossible (and didn't work out so well for Venus or even present Earth) no matter how long or how hard they try. That's point of Kosmo Entelekheia. But apparently even that is now just a temporary solution.

Ikkuu calling out UQ Holder and immortals as a whole was an astonishing display of clarity from Akamatsu. Being immortal gods, UQ Holder has nothing to fear and even on the rare occasion something has actual consequences in this story it doesn't matter because the cast exists in a vacuum so disconnected from reality that the affairs of the world and other people are little more than vague background noise to them.
  • Poor Santa keeps losing people he cares about.
  • Still no explanation on why Negi has his artifact back. If he figured out all this awesome stuff why didn't he use it to save Nagi?
  • Between the last-minute flashbacks (the latest of which told us absolutely nothing about Ialda, Yukihime or the Resonance we didn't already know) and the constant flip-flopping between Ialda and Baal (who effectively play the same role in the story) the pacing of this final battle is just fucked beyond repair.
  • At least Yuuna finally got to fuck her father, I suppose.
  • Laying it on a bit thick with those ending flags there, Akamatsu-sama. But will it actually go anywhere?

Last edited by Shippuu; 2021-10-08 at 08:10.
Shippuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-08, 08:04   Link #7202
NapoleonDeCheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shippuu View Post
The real culprit is human nature itself. Even if you drowned humanity in resources it would never be enough and there would still be problems, and making humanity immortal would only amplify most of its existing problems rather than solving them while adding a bunch of new ones on top of the existing pile of shit. Their idea of reaching some kind of utopian civilization through technological progress is impossible (and didn't work out so well for Venus or even present Earth) no matter how long or how hard they try. That's point of Kosmo Entelekheia. But apparently even that is now just a temporary solution.
Then again, demons, demihumans and other races are shown to be just as flawed as humans so maybe it's just an all around nihilistic take on any and all sapient life.

It makes sense as these last few chapters appear to have been written by someone who hates his fans, his editors, his characters, humanity in general and above it all himself and what he did with his life.
NapoleonDeCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-08, 14:31   Link #7203
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Oh no, Ikkuu is dead. What a shame. He was such a well-developed character. At least he got a riveting reveal about being evil all along five pages before he died. Such depth. Bravo, Akamatsu.
I don't think the point was that he was "evil" all along, it was that that they couldn't really tell how much of what he was saying was what Baal put in his mouth and how much was what he actually felt. Even Santa said that while Ikku might have really thought some of that stuff or eve acted on it, he believed he wouldn't have been so indiscrimate with it

Quote:
Ikkuu's dialogue about humanity's problems stemming from its limitations and lack of resources makes me wonder if this is what Akamatsu actually believes, because it certainly would explain the infuriating way he handles this topic.
You can't actually believe this, since the man had all the resources of the solar system at his disposal and lost to essentially everyone putting their hands together and praying.

Quote:
Ikkuu calling out UQ Holder and immortals as a whole was an astonishing display of clarity from Akamatsu.
What? This isn't the third, or even fourth time we've heard this.

Quote:
Still no explanation on why Negi has his artifact back. If he figured out all this awesome stuff why didn't he use it to save Nagi?
He very likely recreated it himself. Fate did something similar in Negima.

As for why he didn't do it before, likely it was because of lack of Magic Cancel. It certainly wouldn't be the first time someone passed on a solution they figured out but could feasibly do to the next generation. Nagi figured out how to save Mars, but Negi was the one who put it into practise.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.

Last edited by Endscape; 2021-10-08 at 18:51.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-08, 15:20   Link #7204
NapoleonDeCheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
You can't actually believe this, since the man had all the resources of the solar system at his disposal and lost to essentially everyone putting their hands together and praying.
That's just bad writing and Akamatsu not caring anymore.
Old 2021-10-08, 21:06   Link #7205
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapoleonDeCheese View Post
That's just bad writing and Akamatsu not caring anymore.
Wasn't talking about the quality or lack thereof of it, just what it means about Akamatsu or what he wanted the reader to take away from that encounter.

Old 2021-10-08, 22:05   Link #7206
Dargor
Welp

Quote:
Nagi figured out how to save Mars, but Negi was the one who put it into practise.
The series was explicit in that Nagi did *not* figure out how to save Mars, or was even capable of handling that. There's an explicit discussion that all he basically can do is punch things into next week.
Dargor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-08, 23:37   Link #7207
NapoleonDeCheese

I should say that for all everyone seems to have hated this chapter (even most of the series' defenders have been mum about it) I still think it's somewhat better than 187, in that it at least has a bit more focus and it actually bothers to put some effort on the enemy's defeat rather than just onepaneling him like Asuna, Nodoka and Yue.

And Ba'al wasn't physically present and we don't hear him braying so it's got that going for it.

A bad chapter regardless, but 187 was in its own level of awfulness.
Old 2021-10-10, 02:32   Link #7208
NAJ P. Jackson
Magus

WTF is even happening in this manga. Came back after dropping this years back to see Tota's now boning everybody O.o

"Thou art I... And I am thou... Thou hast established a genuine bond... The inner most power of the Awesome Arcana has been set free. We bestow upon thee NAJ P. Jackson, the ultimate form of the Awesome Arcana."
NAJ P. Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-14, 18:46   Link #7209
BassGSnewtype
The Sword of Darkness

Spoiler for Well well well:
Old 2021-11-15, 13:52   Link #7210
mark1246

With only 3 chapter left, i dont think were gonna get an final fight

But I HOPE at least the OG cast that are in still Under control from the bad guy get an happy ending.
Cause if they are broken free but then die due to old age or being release from the bad guy control seem to be an downer (seen a lot of manga that have similar concept with what happening to UQ holder that had downer consequences )
Old 2021-11-16, 11:37   Link #7211
NapoleonDeCheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1246 View Post
But I HOPE at least the OG cast that are in still Under control from the bad guy get an happy ending.
I'd love to see that, but after seeing Hackamatsu killing Asuna, Nodoka and Yue cruelly without a second thougth I don't dare having any hopes.

I hope that at least the characters under mind control get to snap back to their senses after being confronted by Negi, at least briefly.

If Negi and Eva are the only ones who can keep any presence of mind to resist at all and the rest, including Rakan, the guy who willed himself back to existence after being deleted, are shown as nothing but weak willed puppets who would go on hurting their comrade for life just for the sake of keeping on wanking Ialda's ass to the end, that'd only be further proof of how Hackamatsu thinks lowly about the Negima cast by now.
Old 2021-11-16, 11:52   Link #7212
Shippuu
┐(-。ー')┌

Asuna at least was merely a shadow. Akamatsu never explained what that is, how it works or why she can't just manifest another one, but I doubt she's dead for good. Presumably Akamatsu still intends to somehow connect UQ Holder to Negima's ending regardless of how little sense it would make at this point without straight-up retconning it.

Last edited by Shippuu; 2021-11-16 at 13:58.
Shippuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-17, 15:39   Link #7213
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
If Negi and Eva are the only ones who can keep any presence of mind to resist at all and the rest, including Rakan, the guy who willed himself back to existence after being deleted
Rakan has a weakness against Ialda to begin with.

Quote:
Asuna at least was merely a shadow. Akamatsu never explained what that is, how it works or why she can't just manifest another one, but I doubt she's dead for good.
I mean, we know where Asuna is and why she can't really come out to begin with, she's likely on guard for that tactic a second time.

Old 2021-11-17, 20:01   Link #7214
NapoleonDeCheese

Dude, I'm not asking for him to fully snap back and kick Ialda's ass himself, but he also had a weakness against being deleted too being from Mundus Magicus and yet he could defy that briefly so I don't know what are you getting at.

I get that everyone but the leads must always kiss Ialda's horribly written and ill defined ass because we're supposed to be in awe of her at all times despite her being the worst handled shounen big bad ever, even managing the seemingly impossible task of surpassing Kaguya, but come freaking on. At least give us the token I Know You Are In There Fight moment instead of making the characters not even try.
Old 2021-11-18, 00:00   Link #7215
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Dude, I'm not asking for him to fully snap back and kick Ialda's ass himself, but he also had a weakness against being deleted too being from Mundus Magicus and yet he could defy that briefly so I don't know what are you getting at.
The operative word here is briefly. Plus he did it before, twice at that, so wouldn't she have taken steps against it.

Quote:
At least give us the token I Know You Are In There Fight moment instead of making the characters not even try.
It's one thing for Negi and Asuna to get these moments, due to their connection to Touta, but Rakan isn't really connected to anyone here except maybe Eva.

Old 2021-11-18, 09:47   Link #7216
NapoleonDeCheese

Yes, briefly. I told you already, as you apparently didn't get the first time around, I'm just asking for at least one brief moment of the old awesomeness from the old characters before they are shelved off forever, not to be just OOC puppets all the way along before being dispatched in a whimper to never be seen again.

The characters and their fans have earned that much after years of being shat on by the plot of UQ Holder.

I REPEAT SO IT IS CLEAR THIS TIME, I'M NOT ASKING FOR THE CHARACTERS TO SHAKE IT ALTOGETHER AND BEAT IALDA THEMSELVES, JESUS.

And Konoka and Setsuna are connected to Honoka and Isana, they are their freaking children, f'r pity's sake. I don't want my last memories of Setsuna and Konoka to be them choking their children to half death before Touta 'heroically' slices them in a single panel and they aren't ever mentioned again. Why the fuck would anyone want that? Why are you even bringing the sisters in if they'll never get at least ONE emotional connection moment with the OG couple they are trying to save?

Don't get me started on Negi and Asuna's 'emotional connections' with Touta. Did they raise Touta? NO. Did Touta grew under them, or at least got one life marking moment with them the way Negi did with Nagi? HELL NO. All they got was an 'Epic' infodump action sequence moment and that's supposed to establish a life marking emotional connection with them? Jesus, man, what do you undestand for narrative emotional payoff? Not that Asuna really gets any emotional breathrough moment with Touta either. He just splits her apart with his sword without a second thought and only after she's dead she smiles and says "Well, I guess it's up to you" before fucking off into the ether.

Ialda taking steps. Against anything. That's rich because Ialda takes Plot Mandated Stupid Pills every morning after waking up, that's the only way she ever loses despite having every power in the book.

Last edited by NapoleonDeCheese; 2021-11-18 at 12:04.
Old 2021-11-18, 10:35   Link #7217
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Yes, briefly. I told you already, as you apparently didn't get the first time around, I'm just asking for at least one brief moment of the old awesomeness from the old characters before they are shelved off forever, not to be just OOC puppets all the way along before being dispatched in a whimper to never be seen again.

The characters and their fans have earned that much after years of being shat on by the plot of UQ Holder.
And why exactly did Rakan stir himself from Ialda's control briefly those two times? You have to think about the context behind those times before complaining about why they weren't repeated.

Who exactly is currently coming to go fight him right now again? You'll likely get what you want soon enough.

Quote:
And Konoka and Setsuna are connected to Honoka and Isana, they are their freaking children, f'r pity's sake. I don't want my last memories of Setsuna and Konoka to be them choking their children to half death before Touta 'heroically' slices them in a single panel and they aren't ever mentioned again. Why the fuck would anyone want that? Why are you even bringing the sisters in if they'll never get at least ONE emotional connection moment with the OG couple they are trying to save?
You could at least wait for the series to do what you think it's going to do before complaining about it

Quote:
Don't get me started on Negi and Asuna's 'emotional connections' with Touta. Did they raise Touta? NO. Did Touta grew under them, or at least got one life marking moment with them the way Negi did with Nagi? HELL NO. All they got was an 'Epic' infodump action sequence moment and that's supposed to establish a life marking emotional connection with them? Jesus, man, what do you undestand for narrative emotional payoff?
Calm down, guy. I never said emotional connection. I was referring to the fact that Touta was made out of their DNA and was in fact created to do their jobs for them in lieu of their absence.

Old 2021-11-18, 12:04   Link #7218
NapoleonDeCheese

Quote:
You could at least wait for the series to do what you think it's going to do before complaining about it
Yeah, like UQ Holder has done SO MUCH as precedent for satisfactory wrapups for the character arcs from Negima.

I guess that rush job alternate universe flashback was truly the conclusion the series deserved, huh?

And I'm also sure that in three meager chapters there'll be PLENTY OF ROOM for that on top of everything else that needs a conclusion.

Quote:
You have to think about the context behind those times before complaining about why they weren't repeated.
The context back then is that Negima was reasonably well written. The context right now is that UQ Holder is badly written and it badly jams longstanding characters into OOC generic Mook roles any demon lord could have played.

I mean, heck, Ialda is on the edge of destroying all of mankind ever while his comrades are all around him also being used as mindless thralls and holding children like the sisters by the throat. What more context is needed, for Ialda to put a strap on and start ****ing Touta before him?

Last edited by NapoleonDeCheese; 2021-11-18 at 12:15.
Old 2021-11-18, 14:23   Link #7219
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
The context back then is that Negima was reasonably well written. The context right now is that UQ Holder is badly written and it badly jams longstanding characters into OOC generic Mook roles any demon lord could have played.

I mean, heck, Ialda is on the edge of destroying all of mankind ever while his comrades are all around him also being used as mindless thralls and holding children like the sisters by the throat. What more context is needed, for Ialda to put a strap on and start ****ing Touta before him?
The context is that Rakan was trying to help/encourage Negi during those periods. Currently, all the people he actually knows are already brainwashed and the people he's fighting are literal whos he doesn't know or have much reason to care for. The only exception would be maybe Touta, Isana and Honoka, but again he hasn't even met them.

Old 2021-11-18, 17:20   Link #7220
NapoleonDeCheese

See, that's the issue. You're taking a Watsonian perspective and I'm taking a Doylist perspective.

Narratively, using Rakan as a pawn is a bad decision, if you aren't making the character act or sound like Rakan at all. It's not worth the try. If you at least were making him act like an 'evil Rakan' and troll the Numbers in over the top ways there'd be at least some merit to the idea. But this is just a big lug of few words who mostly hits things in straight ways, which beats the purpose of using Rakan at all. You literally could just use a nameless demon of a high rank and it'd be all the same.

Negima Rakan would just start chafing at seeing his friends brainwashed around him, eventually try to resist, and Ialda would put him down. This is just another 'Because Reasons' bit of cheap effortless fanservice.

Hell, using Dynamis from the get go in his place would make full sense. The latest chapter shows Dynamis still has it, and Akamatsu wouldn't have needed changing him at all to make him work here. He'd be loyal to Ialda because he always was, and HE COULD KEEP ON BEING HIS OWN CHARACTER.

But that's the thing. Akamatsu just doesn't want to keep putting effort on the Negima characters and their portrayals. They're just there to fill panels while hoping the fan is dumb enough to thrill at these things that don't act like the characters at all do generic cannon fodder henchmen functions.

It's the ultimate disservice to the old cast, not only they die but they are also then pulled along like zombies only to be killed again like Nodoka and Yue, which is why I'm sure Konoka, Setsuna and Chisame won't fare any better than them, who were two of the most popular Negima characters ever for all the good it did for them.

Heck, Akamatsu doesn't even really care about making the Numbers look good either. This chapter's whole thing with the Numbers proudly proclaiming 'Now we'll show you the results of our 40 years of training!" only to have the very next scene show them already beaten off panel and held by the necks is like a parody, BUT IT IS PLAYED COMPLETELY STRAIGHT, which is just plain pathetic.

Tags
action, comedy, harem, mother-con, negima, sequel, time travel, waiting for love