AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2013-08-07, 22:48   Link #1
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Good guy with a heart of gold who "eventually" gets a/the girl

Specifically, I'm looking for a show where the guy isn't some dense harem lead or some generic bishounen. Ideally not lecherous, or minimally speaking.

Basically a lead who may or may not be a loser, may or may not be bullied, and may or may not be ugly or have some big defining trait that pushes women away. In a sense, a guy who is good in his core but somehow simply sucks when it comes down to the opposite sex no matter what he does. Even then despite his dismal and nonexistent success rate he still maintains his good natured demeanor and heart of gold (most of the time, if not always), and eventually meets someone who can see that.

Can't think of an example right now, so any suggestions are welcomed.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-07, 23:20   Link #2
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Ranma from Ranma 1/2 of course

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-07, 23:23   Link #3
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I honestly don't think Ranma, in either form, has any actual romantic "trouble" with women.

Except maybe Akane, since everyone else literally throws themselves at him/her, men and women alike.
Old 2013-08-07, 23:24   Link #4
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
I honestly don't think Ranma, in either form, has any actual romantic "trouble" with women.

Except maybe Akane, since everyone else literally throws themselves at him/her, men and women alike.
lol, yeah... and even with Akane all he'd have to do is be nice for 5 minutes and she'd be his.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-09, 08:44   Link #5
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Must be an anime?

If not the manga Video Girl AI fits the bill almost perfectly.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-09, 11:41   Link #6
kitten320

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun is the only one I can think off. Can't say he is completly innocent considering he is an idiot. But despite that he is a nice guy who can't make friends.
Not the best series but could be to your liking.
Old 2013-08-09, 15:16   Link #7
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Must be an anime?

If not the manga Video Girl AI fits the bill almost perfectly.
There's an anime for that... which is vastly superior imho... memory loss/resets/the crap that continues on from where the story should have ended was complete BS.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-09, 18:46   Link #8
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
There's an anime for that... which is vastly superior imho... memory loss/resets/the crap that continues on from where the story should have ended was complete BS.
Yeah... but the ending is different, and not exactly what OP is looking for.

Old 2013-08-09, 19:09   Link #9
chaotix37
Rolling Rolling Loli ♬♩

Tenchi Muyo is more appropriate for you to watch. IMO.
chaotix37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-09, 19:18   Link #10
GreatTeacherKen

Your OP description sounds a lot like the premise of Ah! My Goddess and all of its adaptations, especially the first episode of the 2005 TV series adaptation which I think does the best job out of all the incarnations of the series at establishing protagonist Keiichi's personality.
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-09, 21:22   Link #11
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
There's also Godai from Maison Ikkoku

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2013-08-10, 04:23   Link #12
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Sadly I've seen/read all of those already lol.

And like Ranma I seriously doubt Tenchi has problems with a pan-galactic multitude of women throwing themselves at him (and I may as well count Sasami in that).
Old 2013-08-13, 05:41   Link #13
Seiryuu

Closest I can think of off the top of my head is Yahari Ore no Seishun Love-Come wa Machigatteru, AKA My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU. The main character has been hit down by every girl he looked at since he had eyes. He's quite jaded and shows a somewhat bad personality, but if you look deeper you can see that he's a genuinely good guy. He has one girl who has a growing crush on him in the story, but he'd known a girl who was at least that nice and close to him, and when he asked if she had any interest in him her response was "Huh? Seriously gross, cut it out." Thus he has absolutely no trust in girls.
ToraDora also has a similar setup, with a main character born with a face that scares just about everyone around him to the point that even the teachers can't talk to him. He's really a nice guy, but no one would know it since they can't get close to him. He fell for the one girl who's different, but doesn't have the guts to approach her.
One more, Hatsukoi Limited has a couple guys like that. The story examines several characters' experience of first love, and there are a couple guys who fit this description. One is a bit of a lech with a "Kappa face", and the other is a 7-foot, heavy-muscled monster of a man who can take down any thug that attacks him but otherwise wouldn't hurt a fly. Unfortunately, considering his size everyone and everything he approaches reacts with absolute horror.
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-13, 05:44   Link #14
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Yahari Ore no Seishun Love-Come wa Machigatteru, AKA My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU

Good guy with a heart of gold who "eventually" gets a/the girl?

I hope that was the case....
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-13, 05:52   Link #15
EmagEvil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Ranma from Ranma 1/2 of course
Are you kidding? He's such a big ego jerk most of the time...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
There's also Godai from Maison Ikkoku
It's the main character? If so at the beginning he's so clumsy, and lecherous... But it's true after he changed a lot!
... Only characters from the 1980th? Maybe MeoTwister5 need more recent characters, like :

Ayumu from Kore wa zombie desu ka? He's so funny and kind to the girls!
EmagEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-13, 14:52   Link #16
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmagEvil View Post
Are you kidding? He's such a big ego jerk most of the time...
And even Rumiko Takahashi herself admitted that Ranma turned out to be a jerk. So it's canon.

Ranma 1/2 could work if you considered Ryoga the main character though. At least... personally I think he is a good guy in spite of his anger issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmagEvil View Post
It's the main character? If so at the beginning he's so clumsy, and lecherous... But it's true after he changed a lot!
It's a bit borderline. I don't think Godai is a bad guy nor he is particularly perverted but he isn't such a good guy either.

Old 2013-08-13, 23:25   Link #17
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Just about everyone in Ranma 1/2 is a jerk. Including Ryouga.

Doesn't mean Ranma doesn't have a heart of gold. Haven't any of you heard of the jerk with a heart of gold character? Fits Ranma to a tee. He may be a jerk, but he is willing to try and help out people who a few chapters back were trying to kill him.

Old 2013-08-14, 22:09   Link #18
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Goku from Dragon Ball...

ok, ok that was a joke