AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > My HiME / My Otome

Notices

View Poll Results: Mai Otome OVA 3 Rating
Perfect 10 9 13.64%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 8 12.12%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 16 24.24%
7 out of 10 : Good 21 31.82%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 10.61%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.52%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 4.55%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.52%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-24, 17:00   Link #21
Same_Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by gashunum View Post
Spoiler:
I heard the same conversation, but I wanna know if it's because of that reason.
Old 2007-05-24, 17:05   Link #22
smeg4brainsuk
Ayanami's Concubine

Send a message via MSN to smeg4brainsuk
Woot Nina action ^^ (sod the fanservice, im here for her )

Spoiler for I have a question:

Also btw how the hell is it that a nation with as advanced technology as this lot cant even create a smegging condom? Who know's maybe Nina and Sergey discovered them leaving them to go at it like bunnies whilst she still has her powers

Edit: Also this seems to confirm it will be a longer running OVA than they first stated.... at least it better be

Last edited by smeg4brainsuk; 2007-05-24 at 17:19.
Old 2007-05-24, 18:21   Link #23
Same_Shark

Don't get your hopes up. I think the next release will be the last. As for the condoms, I have no idea why they didn't use them. Maybe Nina was like "Don't! They take away all the feeling."
Old 2007-05-24, 21:29   Link #24
Guppy

Spoiler for Nina's status:
Old 2007-05-25, 02:01   Link #25
smeg4brainsuk
Ayanami's Concubine

Send a message via MSN to smeg4brainsuk
Bah and the 4th dvd, still dubbed as the final dvd 0o, is not out till the 24th of august...
Old 2007-05-25, 03:32   Link #26
EvilMink
Bored Being

Cover scan and DVD as extracted from Q-R RAW (resized - originals ~110MB, you can find them inside the .mkv container)

Old 2007-05-25, 05:50   Link #27
dxanato

Send a message via ICQ to dxanato Send a message via AIM to dxanato Send a message via Yahoo to dxanato
Spoiler for quick reason to end in 1 ova episode:
Old 2007-05-25, 09:43   Link #28
Ronin Aquila
Sky Warrior

Yup, Nao`s PS2 Materialization is a well-and-true cop out. Thank Goodness they did not use that one for this OVA. It is great to see that with a new OVA they have decided to go back and fix a past mistake with the time given to them.
Old 2007-05-25, 10:01   Link #29
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankoku View Post
@Mentar - If you really expected Zwei to be any different than the 26 episodes of Otome that preceded it, I'm not sure what to tell you.
It is. After a very strong first installment, OVA2 was already kinda pointless, but the first half of OVA3 stooped to the depth of the DVD etras. If it had at least kept the Otome level, I wouldn't have been so annoyed.

Quote:
One would think it was pretty obvious that Otome (while at times quite serious) is more fanservice oriented than Hime was. Plot and pacing? Both series suffer from odd choices in those regards. It's best to just enjoy it for what it is, and move on. No point in making a fuss because it isn't what you wanted it to be.
Well sorry for explaining why I'm irritated. You're wrong though: We're discussing about what OVA3 is (half of it being a pointless tit-spectacle throwing any tension out of the window), not what it isn't. If it were about that, I'd have longer comments to write.

The probability is low that any people able to influence the direction the Mai universe is heading may be reading these boards, but on the off chance I as an ancient fan (and one of its most vociferous proponents when it was relatively unknown) wants to give some feedback: This continuous dumbing-down of the proponents replaced by fluffy yiiiaaaaah-style "comedy" doesn't sit well with me. It hasn't been this bad in the past. Leave this kind of stuff for extras, and PLEASE return to the other aspects which have made the show quite a success in the past.
Old 2007-05-25, 10:22   Link #30
Honeyman

Watched this last night before I went to bed.

Now, call me a sucker for the characters but I really liked the Nao/Nina dynamic in this one. Maybe we can thank the voice actors for that but I got a real sense that Nina respects Nao and that though she is a bit uncouth with her words Nao enjoys Nina's company and is like a true oneesan to Nina.

Anyway, I can understand people's agitation with the episode spending 5 minutes in the bath house and characters getting topless. Admittedly, it was only 5 minutes of the total episode but I also understand that as these OVAs are only released every 3 months and only at 30 minutes each then fans are going to get angry with 5 minutes being wasted on bathroom semi-naked hijinks.

It's also a shame that Arika's been redundant for the last 2 episodes. I understand that they wanted to give some of the otome (some that didn't get much time in the series) some of the spotlight, but like any decent fan I want progress, story and drama and not rushed into the last 10 minutes of the episode thanks!

Finally, a bit of theorising. Unless Sunrise made the best OVA episode ever the last OVA will feel like a rush job as far as concluding the story is concerned. Does anyone else feel these OVAs could be acting as a bridge for a 2nd Mai Otome season? Maybe I'm just being hopeful, but then why would they leave 3 month gaps between releases when it is only 30 minutes of material? And with the TV series of MAI Otome they produced more material and that was within half a year's run time, so I don't quite get what the gaps are for tbh.

Anyway, those are my chip-in thoughts. They may be thought provoking or worthless, but so is the beauty of forums. Free thought!

P.S Nao rocked my socks! More Nao/Nina please!
Old 2007-05-25, 12:19   Link #31
Sansana
a green tea lover

Send a message via ICQ to Sansana Send a message via MSN to Sansana
Bah, I really don't get it why almost 50% of this OVA must be the fanservice. Is this the real fate of Mai merchandise? When I watch anime like Otome Zwei I really don't want to see tits, swimsuits etc., it all can be found on 4chan so filling the series with this stuff is just soooo pointless.

Spoiler for mai otome zwei:

Otome OVA 3 (and previous) disappointed me in almost every way. At least Kajiura's music is still awesome.
Old 2007-05-25, 13:36   Link #32
Sageblink
Speculation is wrong.

Well, like most of you, i didn't get the bathroom scene.
Nevermind.

I actually enjoy the episode.
Till I realize that there is just one left to go...

I actually love the Nina drama scene, when
Spoiler:

I also like the fact that her tears were gone in a second...
Old 2007-05-25, 16:41   Link #33
Same_Shark

I have a feeling that Nina may use that green stone on the book to materialise a Robe. Just a feeling I have.
Old 2007-05-25, 16:50   Link #34
Seska

..and i think, that book will be some sort of a Otome Master replace.... or it't a "How to..." bring the Big Moon to glow, where all Otomes can materialize without connection to their masters....

"Dam, the deadline for OVA 3 is near, but we have only the half of the episode"
"Any Ideas?"
"Fighting scenes?"
"nah, to much budget blowing"
"I know..... Fanservice!!!"
"Great idea.. We take it in... "
"The 30 Mins of the OVA is full..."
"great job, Lets rest then until we must work on OVA 4"...
Old 2007-05-25, 18:24   Link #35
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
It is. After a very strong first installment, OVA2 was already kinda pointless, but the first half of OVA3 stooped to the depth of the DVD etras. If it had at least kept the Otome level, I wouldn't have been so annoyed.
So kinda like the series, which featured a strong start, floundered in the middle with many pointless episodes, and rushed to an ending with a bath episode breaking up whatever tension had been built from the Miyu and Nina fight? I guess we should discount the boob jokes and jiggling transformation scenes, or the final scene where both main characters are naked and falling through a burning atmosphere? Sorry, not seeing much difference between the series and the OVA, with the exception of nipples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar
Well sorry for explaining why I'm irritated. You're wrong though: We're discussing about what OVA3 is (half of it being a pointless tit-spectacle throwing any tension out of the window), not what it isn't. If it were about that, I'd have longer comments to write.
No, what we're discussing is the lack of something, which is tension/suspense/drama. You feel that too much time was spent on "pointless" fanservice, and not enough on the "deeper" parts of the story. My feeling is that if this were a Hime OVA, I would be in full agreement with you. However since it is an Otome OVA, I expected more time spent on who has bigger boobs and other "pointless" things than actual story, with the final episode being a rush job. So far it appears to be true. My intent wasn't to disrespect your opinion though, apologies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar
The probability is low that any people able to influence the direction the Mai universe is heading may be reading these boards, but on the off chance I as an ancient fan (and one of its most vociferous proponents when it was relatively unknown) wants to give some feedback: This continuous dumbing-down of the proponents replaced by fluffy yiiiaaaaah-style "comedy" doesn't sit well with me. It hasn't been this bad in the past. Leave this kind of stuff for extras, and PLEASE return to the other aspects which have made the show quite a success in the past.
Completely agreed. I do find the direction the Mai franchise is taking to be counter of what made people like it so much in the first place. I don't hate the new direction, but I do find myself wishing things were more like the second half of Hime - some fanservice, but lots of drama, suspense, and action.

That said, I kept my expectations of the Otome OVA to the same expectations I had with the Otome series. Entertaining, fun to speculate, but not expecting anything to wow me like Hime did. If there was a new Hime series or OVA, my expectations would be a bit higher.
Old 2007-05-25, 21:21   Link #36
solarknight123

Well looks like unless they increse the number of ovas their gonna release, then the 4th one will end with many expectations and questions unforfilled. Well knowing sunrise and otome i was kinda expecting that.
Old 2007-05-26, 00:02   Link #37
Wavedash
Mayo on everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeyman View Post
Finally, a bit of theorising. Unless Sunrise made the best OVA episode ever the last OVA will feel like a rush job as far as concluding the story is concerned. Does anyone else feel these OVAs could be acting as a bridge for a 2nd Mai Otome season? Maybe I'm just being hopeful, but then why would they leave 3 month gaps between releases when it is only 30 minutes of material? And with the TV series of MAI Otome they produced more material and that was within half a year's run time, so I don't quite get what the gaps are for tbh.
I've felt that way myself. Sunrise isn't a small company by any means, and it can certainly fund many projects. My Otome, being virtually one of their flagship properties these days, could easily be put out on a monthly basis like any other OAV usually is.

The stretching out, then, of release dates could very well coincide with a lead in to the next My Hime project (which recently got a name...Destiny...good job Sunrise). In that context, the long pauses make sense as they struggle to write storylines that will coincide.
Old 2007-05-26, 10:21   Link #38
IchiKyo
大いなる希望の力、キュア・ドリーム!

Send a message via AIM to IchiKyo Send a message via MSN to IchiKyo Send a message via Yahoo to IchiKyo
i have mixed feeling about this OVA3...
The only thing which getting my interest was only the last 5 minutes...
And
Spoiler:

Anyway, it's good to see Nina again...
Old 2007-05-26, 10:42   Link #39
RukaMich
Nemu-nemu

Send a message via AIM to RukaMich Send a message via MSN to RukaMich
This OVA was such a disappointment to me. 3 months of waiting and now another 3 months of hoping for a clean end to the "story".

While I certainly agree that Otome shouldn't be held to the same standard as HiME, I didn't expect this arc of the series to be dumbed down to this point. I almost wonder why a plot was even suggested if it's going to degrade to the level of fanservice that it has...

/sigh
Old 2007-05-26, 11:32   Link #40
Same_Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavedash View Post
I've felt that way myself. Sunrise isn't a small company by any means, and it can certainly fund many projects. My Otome, being virtually one of their flagship properties these days, could easily be put out on a monthly basis like any other OAV usually is.

The stretching out, then, of release dates could very well coincide with a lead in to the next My Hime project (which recently got a name...Destiny...good job Sunrise). In that context, the long pauses make sense as they struggle to write storylines that will coincide.
So My-HiME Destiny has been confirmed to be an anime soon?
Closed Thread