AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2010-09-09, 18:15   Link #141
Luna91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoko Takeo View Post
Judo enthusiast I may be, but at the same time I believe other styles could be more useful for other situations. For instance, Aikido prepares you better against foes with weapons, and Bujinkan Budo is even better than Aikido in that respect, but it's a LOT harder to come by a proper Bujinkan dojo.
Hmm yeah, I'd like to do it for more than just self-defense, I know i said focusing on self-defense before but i was referring to stuff like Karate that seems to be more about the art than actual 'combat skills'. I think the culture and tradition behind the martial art is something i'm looking for as well, so maybe i'll just focus on one in the near future (unless I am surprisingly really good at it, though I don't have high hopes for my inner ninja emerging )
Old 2010-09-09, 18:18   Link #142
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna91 View Post
Hmm yeah, I'd like to do it for more than just self-defense, I know i said focusing on self-defense before but i was referring to stuff like Karate that seems to be more about the art than actual 'combat skills'. I think the culture and tradition behind the martial art is something i'm looking for as well, so maybe i'll just focus on one in the near future (unless I am surprisingly really good at it, though I don't have high hopes for my inner ninja emerging )
If you're looking for the cultural and philosophical aspect of martial arts as well, then I really do suggest Bujinkan Budo. No other style encompasses the philosophy and techniques of martial arts as completely as Budo. You learn everything, such as striking, grappling, defence against weapons and their use as well.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-09, 18:27   Link #143
Luna91

Quote:
If you're looking for the cultural and philosophical aspect of martial arts as well, then I really do suggest Bujinkan Budo. No other style encompasses the philosophy and techniques of martial arts as completely as Budo. You learn everything, such as striking, grappling, defence against weapons and their use as well.
I yellowpaged it and apparently there are 2 Bujinkan Kokusai Dojo places in my town. Ahh now I'm confused again I guess the best thing is to just go and try them and see what I like the best.
Old 2010-09-09, 18:31   Link #144
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna91 View Post
I yellowpaged it and apparently there are 2 Bujinkan Kokusai Dojo places in my town. Ahh now I'm confused again I guess the best thing is to just go and try them and see what I like the best.
Yeah. Most martial arts Dojos offer the first lesson for free. Some might charge you a fee but others don't. Anyways, try what you will and see which you like best. I preferred Judo because truth be told, I don't think I've ever had more fun in any other martial practice
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-09, 18:46   Link #145
Luna91

Quote:
Yeah. Most martial arts Dojos offer the first lesson for free. Some might charge you a fee but others don't. Anyways, try what you will and see which you like best. I preferred Judo because truth be told, I don't think I've ever had more fun in any other martial practice
Ok so i can consider Judo highly recommended? I'll try them out and let you know what one i stuck with, could take a while though
Old 2010-09-09, 23:10   Link #146
Langus
Optimus Prime

You just gotta go find yourself a mixed martial arts studio. It gives you a nice all round education.

The best class I ever took was a "karate" class offered by my university. The teacher treated it like an MMA class and I learned a lot. I've been dying to get back into a class like that since.
Old 2010-09-10, 00:27   Link #147
Luna91

Yeah there is only one of those near me, i'll get around to checking it out. The aikido place i just rang told me it would be $85 a month....holy cow how much money do they think a poor uni student like me has
Old 2010-09-10, 05:25   Link #148
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I'd say rather than choose what style of martial arts to learn it would be better to choose on the basis on what the school is like.

My advice is to go to each of the centres near your area and check them out individually, preferably an advanced class. This'll give you a better idea of what you can hope to achieve by learning there, as well as learning what kind of students there are and what kind of atmosphere it has so you can determine whether or not you'll be comfortable there. And yeah, stuff like location and cost will matter as well. No use picking a style then finding out that the closest place that teaches it is a hundred miles away and costs a million a week.

Don't be afraid to ask the teacher any questions, either. There's no such thing as a stupid question. And likely the teacher has probably come across every single question beforehand.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-10, 06:19   Link #149
Luna91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I'd say rather than choose what style of martial arts to learn it would be better to choose on the basis on what the school is like.

My advice is to go to each of the centres near your area and check them out individually, preferably an advanced class. This'll give you a better idea of what you can hope to achieve by learning there, as well as learning what kind of students there are and what kind of atmosphere it has so you can determine whether or not you'll be comfortable there. And yeah, stuff like location and cost will matter as well. No use picking a style then finding out that the closest place that teaches it is a hundred miles away and costs a million a week.

Don't be afraid to ask the teacher any questions, either. There's no such thing as a stupid question. And likely the teacher has probably come across every single question beforehand.
Well after consulting my trusty yellow pages there are about 5 places near me that have what i'm looking for, and i've rang/checked out them all. so hopefully over the next month or so i'll be able to go check them out as the first lesson is free for them all. one place even provides a free uniform for your first lesson Yeah i've already tossed some places just from a phone call, with places that have like 5 people or like no girls. i think i will definitely prefer the bigger classes (less attention on you ) but it will ultimately be determined by price, as well as if i like it of course
Old 2012-06-11, 18:08   Link #150
Cold~as~Ice
this is how its done

boxing-I started at the age of 7 and and still currently doing it. I'm a southpaw

taekwondo- I got my brown belt 4 weeks ago

wrestling-I wrestled in high school during my sophomore,junior and senior year. the gym I go to has wrestling so I do practice sometimes
Old 2012-06-22, 11:37   Link #151
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

I was watching the Fist of Legend (1994) recently on TV and I realised that there are MANY similarities between Aikido and Taijiquan. So why one is promoted as a martial art, while the other is promoted as a health and fitness exercise?

Also, Wing Chun and Krav Maga is based pretty much on the same concept - dealing the largest amount of damage in the shortest amount of time; no gimmicks, no nonesene. Wing Chun is very defensive, while Krav Maga is more offensive, Wing Chun readies for moves by keeping limbs tense, while Krav Maga readies for moves by keeping limbs at ease. Isn't it funny that despite having different roots, hand-to-hand is extremely similar almost everywhere?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 08:27   Link #152
HasuMasu
*Artist

Taekwondo, I've been a White Belt since I was 7.
Old 2012-07-14, 20:26   Link #153
Ridwan

I forgot about what's the name of this move :

Old 2012-07-14, 20:39   Link #154
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegir View Post
I forgot about what's the name of this move :

The "badass", as I like to call it.

I believe the actual name is the Hurricanrana, but there may be a foreign term for it as well. This seems to be a crazier variation too, where it catches a moving target off balance. That's one heck of a move there.
Old 2013-02-16, 18:53   Link #155
willx
Nyaaan~~

Necro-thread revival! So while "vacationing" back in my hometown of Vancouver, I went and undertook a few classes in activities I always thought were cool but never had time to do while I lived here, namely Archery and Swordplay.

Archery was straightforward and easy to pick up, albeit difficult to master. The Swordplay was another matter. I went to a Western swordplay academy here called Academie Duello. It was a decent exercise and I learned a lot .. in particular that using a rapier is one of the most uncomfortable things I've ever done. Additionally, one of my friends interested in this pointed me towards this:

Battle of Nations

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?