Notices

Old 2015-09-28, 09:06   Link #1381
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
For the lulz

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Finally, another Gigguk video.

And what a topic for him to choose!

Also, another random thought with regard to how to improve the ending. Assuming you don't want to go with one of the tragic endings I mentioned earlier, you could have given the scene where Yuu wakes up and sees Tomori a bit more impact if he initially is like "who are you?", but is somehow reminded of her even slightly, by something Tomori says or does. The obvious one would be a kiss, but seeing as she never kissed him before that wouldn't make much sense, but even if she just hugged him or held his hand or something, and that was just enough for him to remember that she was a person he cherished, it would made it more of a heartwarming "d'awww" moment.

Last edited by SPARTAN 119; 2015-09-28 at 09:25.
SPARTAN 119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-28, 10:15   Link #1382
Arya

mh. Underwhelming ending. But one thing. The courage girl, it did save the finale, it was so nonsensical that it called me back to the episode. What was she doing in that place of all places? Being brave doesn't mean being irrational and irresponsible.
And what's the meaning of it within the story? Still I'm glad it was there since it make me smile when I was honestly a bit unimpressed until then.
Spoiler for space-saving purposes:

As a side note, what is this Rewrite thing? The story will be re-written by a different writer?

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.

Last edited by Arya; 2015-09-28 at 10:28.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-28, 11:04   Link #1383
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
As a side note, what is this Rewrite thing? The story will be re-written by a different writer?
Rewrite is a visual novel by Key which is getting an anime, which was announced during the last episode of Charlotte.
SPARTAN 119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-28, 11:07   Link #1384
Arya

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAN 119 View Post
Rewrite is a visual novel by Key which is getting an anime, which was announced during the last episode of Charlotte.
Ah, so it has nothing to do with Charlotte. Thanks.
I have to admit, despite everything, I wouldn't have disdain some more Nao

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-28, 12:19   Link #1385
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Why would he need to when the scientists specifically stated they developed a way to prevent it from ever happening again, and only needed a solution for those who were already exposed?
Actually, it's kind of unrealistic for them to be able to not only distribute, but vaccinate the entire world when plenty of them could be secluded, living in places too far away from towns to find, or could just be unwilling because they aren't aware of the disease, or don't believe it's a disease in the first place.

However, suspension of disbelief is far easier for that compared to Yu's globetrotting.
Shadow5YA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-28, 12:26   Link #1386
GDB

Well, if I recall they said the last time the comet came was centuries before. That gives them plenty of time to distribute the vaccine via water sources and such.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-28, 13:06   Link #1387
justsomeguy

I want to like this show, but no matter how I look at it, this show is pretty terrible. The story was obviously planned out ahead of time, but then huge chunks were deemed unnecessary and cut out. Remember at the beginning when the audience was wondering on how the powers were related to the psyche of the characters, and speculated on how they would disappear once their issues were resolved? All that came to nothing. Things like character arcs/development, villain development, etc are all missing. Takajo and Yusa/Misa got almost no focus despite supposedly being major characters and played little role in the main story, especially compared to Shun's much more interesting circle. Even Ayumi got almost nothing, until she died. Ayumi's friends and that yandere girl didn't get introduced until the episode they became relevant, and didn't show up again until the episode she get saved, and then disappeared again. A lot of the development in the Yuu/Tomori relationship disappears thanks to the time traveling. The villains that kidnapped Kumagami and Tomori were introduced, executed a half-assed plan that failed, and dealt with in the same episode, I can't even remember if they had names. And then the very last episode covered even material for an entire 3~4 episode arc and ends up falling flat as a conclusion.

Score: 6/10, story as presented is obviously incomplete. If you look at the story as a typical VN, then the best way to explain this show is that it covers the prologue, skips over all the character and side arcs that would serve as the meat, and then covers the final arc centered on the main character that should only be unlocked after playing through the rest. I get the sense that's how Maeda wrote it.

Currently playing: LoH Trails in the Sky SC
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-28, 13:57   Link #1388
Draco Spirit

It's the focus issue, or lack of it isn't?

Interesting thing is if you watched any episode as a standalone, then they all work fairly well, but you expect the other episodes to either foreshadow or reinforce other episodes themes.. and they don't.

And it's not even really a issue of space either, since there is very little going off in the first half of the show. They could have easy have introduced the yandere really early on and flashed a few warning signs that things were not going to end well. Likewise the older brother friends could have been show in a few out of context scenes or just in the background to set up there importance latter on.

There so many narrative red herrings too, like what was with Tomori being ok with being bullied? I thought it was going to lead to something important.. just ended up never being explained instead.
Draco Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-28, 14:03   Link #1389
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco Spirit View Post
There so many narrative red herrings too, like what was with Tomori being ok with being bullied? I thought it was going to lead to something important.. just ended up never being explained instead.
It could've easily been a bait for people who are easily sympathetic to characters being bullied. Either that, or it's a small sign that plans changed midway production and the series took a turn for the worst. Maybe Maeda actually had solid plans for the series and he just got strongarmed by producers ... I think I've pretty much arrived to the conclusion that the mess couldn't have been all Maeda. There's a limit to how bad a show can get.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-28, 14:12   Link #1390
Draco Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
It could've easily been a bait for people who are easily sympathetic to characters being bullied. Either that, or it's a small sign that plans changed midway production and the series took a turn for the worst. Maybe Maeda actually had solid plans for the series and he just got strongarmed by producers ... I think I've pretty much arrived to the conclusion that the mess couldn't have been all Maeda. There's a limit to how bad a show can get.
I thought it was hint that she was going to turn out to be some kind of servant for the big bad at the time.
Draco Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-28, 22:33   Link #1391
Juke16

Wow this show started out alright, but then quickly spiraled into a dark descent... into something entirely terrible that is. This show could have been made much better if it had 24 episodes, the story progressed too fast and it would have been nice to see Yu's spiral into madness instead of watching him travel from Russia through Europe faster than Schumacher in a F1. Would have been nice to see how the kids ended up being affected in the end with a proper epilogue as well, Jun Maeda has REALLY , REALLY dropped the ball this time.

EDIT:

I'm not even sure how the hell he hasn't been arrested by a major government or living in fear considering he took out what must be at least half of the world's terror groups, stopped one coup d'etat, and destroyed one UN facility (note the blue berets of the "hidden facility" guards which are usually indicative of peace keepers).
Juke16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-29, 00:48   Link #1392
Eater of All
NOM

Quote:
For the lulz

Spoiler for vid:
Oh god, I hadn't noticed the reception thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco Spirit View Post
This point is mentioned a lot, but I thought Nao being bullied is just a one-time emphasis on how she's hated by and isolated from most of her peers.
Old 2015-09-29, 00:53   Link #1393
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eater of All View Post
This point is mentioned a lot, but I thought Nao being bullied is just a one-time emphasis on how she's hated by and isolated from most of her peers.
That scene, those girls gave off the vibe that they had a good reason to hate her.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-29, 01:37   Link #1394
Iron Maw
Banned

ep 12 [END]

Oddly enough contrary to my expectations this wasn't as bad I thought it would be, then again my expectations were "rock-bottom" so it would take some really effort to surpass that of the worst.

One thing I can while I too have a lot of issues with this show I do think they did a decent job bringing Yuu's development full circle on a character level. Yeah your gonna suspend your belief on some of things he does to reach this point (completing this ridiculous plan in just a couple months in this episode being one example) I do feel like he's grown somewhat from the selfish lowlife he was in episode 1. Which is probably more than I can say for everyone else (or the plot in general) sadly. Had Charlotte been a more cohesive show this ending could been stronger as I do like it in concept. I still don't like Yuu himself all that much though.

At this point I feel comfortable in saying that Meada isn't cut out for writing anime scenarios. He doesn't seemed have learned from his mistakes in AB at all and his style clearly better suited for a VN. If he's doing the writing for another show I'm mostly won't watch it but seeing I stuck around for Charlotte it's entire run means that I probably don't hate it at least.

Grade: 6/10

Quote:
For the lulz

Spoiler for hilarious:
This is great!
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-29, 03:46   Link #1395
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
So the first volume of charlotte sold 6.2k bluray. Probs about 7k with DVDs.

Firstly I'm happy it didn't beat shirobako sales, it came no where near it. But it also didn't beat Hanasaku Iroha or tari tari sales either! Yay! Maybe this will discourage PA works from collaborating with Key in the future.

On the other hand, 6.2k is still not a small figure. Too many imo.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-29, 03:48   Link #1396
tsunade666

Quote:
So the first volume of charlotte sold 6.2k bluray. Probs about 7k with DVDs.

Firstly I'm happy it didn't beat shirobako sales, it came no where near it. But it also didn't beat Hanasaku Iroha or tari tari sales either! Yay! Maybe this will discourage PA works from collaborating with Key in the future.

On the other hand, 6.2k is still not a small figure. Too many imo.
6.2k bluray and 7k for dvd? or 6.2k total sales?

because even by 6.2 alone, its above average in anime sales.
Old 2015-09-29, 03:50   Link #1397
Pocari_Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
6.2k bluray and 7k for dvd? or 6.2k total sales?

because even by 6.2 alone, its above average in anime sales.
7k with DVDs. But it's only a guess since I only have stats for bluray discs atm.

To be honest I was expecting 10k+ due to the key brand name but looks like the Japanese fan base was somewhat reasonable this time not buying into the junk.
Old 2015-09-29, 03:51   Link #1398
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Yeah, it's too much, especially because they are also selling CDs of Yusa's and Sala's songs as How-Low Hello and ZHIEND respectively. You can even call it good sales, since some originals like Classroom Crisis won't get that much.

I guess people are preparing their wallets for Owarimonogatari?
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-29, 03:54   Link #1399
Pocari_Sweat

This is off topic but... blerg monogatari franchise...

Aside from bakemonogatari I seriously don't get its appeal...
Old 2015-09-29, 03:58   Link #1400
larethian

It's all about marketing. And for collectors, it's not just the story alone that makes a BD/DVD collection worth collecting. There are other factors involved like accompanying merchandise and other tied-in goods and supplementaries. In my historical days of collecting, I would have been attracted to stuff like additional write-ups, special interviews, limited edition artwork, etc. etc. among other stuff. I may like a particular show for other factors other than plot which might make me want to buy the discs. OTH, I would not spend cash on a phenomenal story which was severely lacking in nice goods.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
p.a. works, supernatural powers