AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2021-02-07, 15:04   Link #21
CIRQUAN

Zoro was so badass in this chapter.
But seriously, what`s it gonna take for Kaido to fall down? He got punched by Luffy using new haki that can harm from inside, got sliced by Zoro using Enma, got his heart damaged by Law, and got sliced from inside by Killer and dude still isn`t dead. Luffy will surpass him for sure, but interested to see what`s it gonna take to stop him.
Also, hope we soon find out about what happened at Reverie, and more specifically, my sweet Boa Hancock. ❤️️

set by myself
CIRQUAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-07, 20:29   Link #22
grey_1960
Annie Leonhart

Chapter 1003
This is a great chapter. To think Zoro wasn't even trying and he cut Kaidou's skin. The combined strike of the Scabbards could not even open up Kaidou's old wound. Looking at Big mama, Kidds, Killer, Law's expression every time Luffy and Zoro do something amazing lets me know they are on another level.

4G to 5G technology
After reading the SBS thread I am curious to see Luffy's 5G technology. But the fact that Luffy is putting a good beating on Kaidou with 4G is going to make 5G technology something of a wonder. I thought Luffy over came his 4G weakness but he only stop the shrinking not the drain on his haki. What will be the side affects for 5G technology? Death? Awaken form? Takes away 2 or 4 years of your life every time you use it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonOfWrath View Post
Seriously though, why is Luffy the literal only character in the series who has this drawback to an attack/form/powerup? Nobody else has been shown to run out of haki, and that includes all the other people who'd be as inexperienced as he is with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodspirit View Post
Sorry, I was pretty frustrated at Luffy's regression.

Meanwhile I saw the raws of the chapter, so it would be unfair of me to comment on it further (or any other point of the chapter), until the english scan is out.
Why indeed?
One is because he is a main character. Two I don't think you are looking for it. If you asking for examples how about every character that has faced off with Luffy. Luffy experience this because he is the very few that are willing to push his body and abilities past his limits. If Kidd, Killer and Law had done it they would be putting a good has fight has Luffy and Zoro. Sadly they aren't because they have never pushed themselves beyond the breaking point. Have you noticed Kidd, Killer, and Law are in support role. Even Oda makes a joke about it with Law twice(Chapter 1001 Page 6 and 7, Chapter 1002 Page 7). That is why the powerful are always small in numbers. They are the few who are willing to push themselves above and beyond the rest. That new move he learned from Hyogoro changed his second fight big time. If you call this battle regression then I wonder what your definition of improvement would be? Luffy's first and second battle with Kaidou are night and day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
LOL, this almost read like a grey_1960 post for me
Say what you will but Zoro is a beast!
Have you noticed something? Zoro hasn't gone all out yet. Come on Oda don't hold Zoro back anymore!

Last edited by grey_1960; 2021-02-07 at 20:46.
grey_1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-08, 00:24   Link #23
DemonOfWrath

It still stands out like a sore thumb that Luffy is the only character in One Piece who basically has a mana bar for haki that can run out temporarily. Name another character who has a drawback to using haki, beyond level of control over it.

Nobody else has a desperation haki ability that wrecks them afterwards to use if they can't win otherwise? It just breaks suspension of disbelief a bit that only Luffy does that.

It's not particularly interesting anyways. We all know he won't eat the dirt due to it, there'll just be 10 minute stints of him running away or being saved by others. If it just meant he couldn't go gear 4 again temporarily and had to fight with everything else he had it'd be much more fine.
DemonOfWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-08, 00:59   Link #24
devilo96

the drawback using g4 is really pain in the ass...after that draw back luffy cant use his full power against 2 yonko
devilo96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-08, 03:26   Link #25
grey_1960
Annie Leonhart

Quote:
It still stands out like a sore thumb that Luffy is the only character in One Piece who basically has a mana bar for haki that can run out temporarily. Name another character who has a drawback to using haki, beyond level of control over it.

Nobody else has a desperation haki ability that wrecks them afterwards to use if they can't win otherwise? It just breaks suspension of disbelief a bit that only Luffy does that.

It's not particularly interesting anyways. We all know he won't eat the dirt due to it, there'll just be 10 minute stints of him running away or being saved by others. If it just meant he couldn't go gear 4 again temporarily and had to fight with everything else he had it'd be much more fine.
That's life
Fact is we have known about this since Rayleigh taught Luffy about Gear 4 in Chapter 790 page 8. "I guess it time I teach you something new then....Gear fourth....is something very taxing on the body though....."~Rayleigh This means Rayleigh has reached his limits before since he is speaking from first hand knowledge.

Fact number two Chapter 1003 pages 3 and 4 Kidd thinks Luffy has been hit but Law explains the draw back when Luffy turns into the wrecking ball. "So there are drawbacks to this kind of power, Huh? Well its worth it, if those blows did damage!!!"~Kidd Kidd never realized there were limits to haki. He never reached his and he gives it away in page 4.

Fact number 3 Chapter 597 page 10 "Haki" is a power....That exists within every single human being. "Presence"..."spirit"..."Aura"...it is no different from these basic concepts with which anyone should be familiar.....or else try as they might, never succeed in making use of it. However, the vast majority of people go their whole lives without ever noticing they possess it...."~Rayleigh. Everyone has haki so the thought that Luffy is the only person to experience this draw back throughout all of human history is not true.

Lack imagination can make any fight uninteresting.
I mean lets think of the outcome. This battle could last for days like Akainu vs. Akoiji. Maybe a whole day like Kaidou vs. Shanks. There could possibly be the outcome of upset victory or interference from outside players. Marineford war Marines vs. White Beard, then Black beard showed up to steal devil fruit, later then came Shanks to end the war. Maybe both sides could walk away without a victory. What ever happens I don't think this will be a normal run of the battle for Luffy. Also this is the first battle Zoro and Luffy have done tag team match. Do you have any idea what the fall of two Yonkous will do? The Gorosei shit their pants every time Luffy takes down a shichibukai. Also who gets Big Mama's or Kaidou's devil fruit if they fall? Between Luffy and Zoro who will have the higher bounty and by how much? Will we get a visit from Shanks at the end of the battle? I hope it won't happen but my gut feeling is victory will be snatched away from Luffy. Their are to many outside players observing this event. I won't be surprised if Black beard shows up. Chapter 903 last two pages.
Old 2021-02-08, 06:33   Link #26
DemonOfWrath

Show, don't tell. If anyone is capable of doing something crazy with their haki but nobody is actually doing it, even in the new world where that kind of boost would definitely be useful to have, it's not functionally different to nobody being capable of it.

I don't have to think that Luffy is the only person to experience some kind of haki drawback in battle, it's being shown that so far he is until someone else does it.

And it doesn't matter what could happen with the wider plot, that's entirely separate.

We've already been through the song and dance of big powerup that leaves Luffy weakened for a while afterwards with both gear 2 and 3. With gear 4 it's just a bit dull now.

Luffy goes gear 4 and spends a chapter pummeling the opponent. Then deflates and the next few chapters stall while he runs or gets carried by friends. Then he goes gear 4 and tries it again.

For the narrative of these fights, it's a bit stale after a few times of it, and imo it'd be more interesting if he could still fight in-between gear 4 uses. There probably isn't going to be much of anything significant happening until next time he can use gear 4, because he can't do anything until then anyways. Not like he'll get beaten while he can't fight back.

The tension actually drops significantly when he's in gear 4 downtime. For me at least I'm now going "ok nothing will happen here for a while now". In a fight with 2 emperors in it the tension has dropped!
Old 2021-02-08, 08:01   Link #27
marvelB

My two cents on the matter (and I already touched upon this earlier in the thread) is that yes, Luffy's limited haki usage could be a huge liability.... if he were fighting alone. But right now he's got four Worst Generation supernovas backing him up (with more possibly joining later), so he can rest easy (relatively speaking) and focus on recovering while the others hold the fort. Again, I really don't get why so many are against the teamwork angle in the first place. At this point in the story it's the most plausible method of taking down the emperors, short of Oda wasting another 2+ year timeskip just to make Luffy tough enough to handle these guys solo. I dunno about anyone else, but I feel the collaborative angle is a much more interesting dynamic, anyway.

Also, another thing: Luffy taking time outs between rounds with the big bad is a pattern Oda established LOOOONG before our rubber friend learned to use haki, or even the gears. From Arlong tossing him underwater in East Blue, to Crocodile nearly killing him on THREE separate occasions, to Eneru weighing him down with a huge ball of gold..... I think it's kinda late to complain about him being taken out of the fight at this stage, don't ya think?
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-08, 10:58   Link #28
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Also, another thing: Luffy taking time outs between rounds with the big bad is a pattern Oda established LOOOONG before our rubber friend learned to use haki, or even the gears. From Arlong tossing him underwater in East Blue, to Crocodile nearly killing him on THREE separate occasions, to Eneru weighing him down with a huge ball of gold..... I think it's kinda late to complain about him being taken out of the fight at this stage, don't ya think?
Oda rarely breaking his pattern when it comes to major arcs has actually been a complain by a part of the fanbase for a while. Just because he did it plenty of times in the past doesn't mean he has to keep doing it. Now I'm not saying he keep rehashing everything, but it's hard to notice similarities like birdcage and Onigashima threatening to fall on the capital. Or the giant boat on Fishman island.

And I don't think anyone is against teamwork. There was teamwork even when Luffy was still in the battle. It was actually well done, no one really stole the spotlight from others. Would it have been a bad thing for that to keep going? It's not like Gear 4 is a win button, he pummeled Kaido as hard as he could and the latter apparently barely took any damage. I don't see why him being able to remain in Gear 4 without running out of haki would be detrimental to the story.
Old 2021-02-08, 16:50   Link #29
necrolyte

Everything was really good in this chapter until Luffy ran out of Haki.. I agree with people here saying that this is a strange drawback which we haven't seen from any other character in OP's universe.

My prediction now is that Law, Killer and Kid will protect Luffy until he returns his powers and after that Luffy and Zoro, probably with other strawhats will fight agains BM and Kaido without help from other crews.
necrolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-08, 21:04   Link #30
Rainbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIRQUAN View Post
Also, hope we soon find out about what happened at Reverie, and more specifically, my sweet Boa Hancock. ❤️️
Seeing as I am not a fan of Boa Hancock in terms of her beliefs, she probably would get captured after a struggle. I’m just saying this because I really don’t trust her relationship with Luffy when it comes to shipping.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-08, 21:57   Link #31
grey_1960
Annie Leonhart

Quote:
Show, don't tell. If anyone is capable of doing something crazy with their haki but nobody is actually doing it, even in the new world where that kind of boost would definitely be useful to have, it's not functionally different to nobody being capable of it.

I don't have to think that Luffy is the only person to experience some kind of haki drawback in battle, it's being shown that so far he is until someone else does it.

And it doesn't matter what could happen with the wider plot, that's entirely separate.

We've already been through the song and dance of big powerup that leaves Luffy weakened for a while afterwards with both gear 2 and 3. With gear 4 it's just a bit dull now.

Luffy goes gear 4 and spends a chapter pummeling the opponent. Then deflates and the next few chapters stall while he runs or gets carried by friends. Then he goes gear 4 and tries it again.

For the narrative of these fights, it's a bit stale after a few times of it, and imo it'd be more interesting if he could still fight in-between gear 4 uses. There probably isn't going to be much of anything significant happening until next time he can use gear 4, because he can't do anything until then anyways. Not like he'll get beaten while he can't fight back.

The tension actually drops significantly when he's in gear 4 downtime. For me at least I'm now going "ok nothing will happen here for a while now". In a fight with 2 emperors in it the tension has dropped!
Can't really show it
I will give you this one on Luffy being the only one for now. Most of the information right now is just luffy and no one else having the drawback.

Drawback (one extreme)
To people in the forum would you have have been happy if Luffy had no Drawbacks? What is your expectations and what did you want Luffy to do? How did you want the story to go? Luffy's gear 4 put Daflamingo on the defense. The second time it over powered his defense and finished Daflamingo. If Luffy never had any drawbacks to Gear 4 what would be the point all the other Gears? With the last two chapters it looks like Gear 4 would have been enough to bring Kaidou down.

All in! (to the other extreme)
Luffy being helpless for 10 mins is quick and to the point. He can't fight Kaidou with any other Gears besides Gear 4. Why go with the illusion that he can do something with Gear 3 or less? Even in his normal form Kaidou would have destroyed him without his haki. Example first fight with Kaidou (Only he had his haki that time). Luffy's was right to treat gear 4 this way when he went up against Kaidou, Daflamingo and Katakuri. Anything less would have contributed nothing to the story.

I am wondering while Luffy is out will Zoro get a shot at Hybrid Kaidou? I think Kidd, Killer, and Law will be knocked out for the rest of the fight with the Hybrid Kaidou. They are no were near Luffy or Zoro when it comes to Peers. In the end if this fight is to go forward it will have to be Zoro and Luffy vs. Kaidou and Big mama vs. Jimbi. Chapter 890 is the reason I feel jimbi can take on big Mama.

Finally (To each his own?)
Why would Luffy use his Gear 4 when it failed miserably his first fight with Kaidou? He learned a new trick with his arm haki from Hyogoro. I predict after Luffy recovers he will do something new. Daflamingo vs. Luffy, Luffy exhausted all of his moves before revealing Gear 4. Katakuri vs. Luffy, Luffy used Gear 4 Snake man after Gear 4 Boundman failed. If patterns fit he has exhausted everything he will get out of Gear 4(even with his new found advance armor haki).
Old 2021-02-09, 02:44   Link #32
DemonOfWrath

I'll admit, while for me the whole doped up form with super downtime shtick for Luffy has worn out its welcome, it'd be alright if he could at least fight normally (with haki) in the gear 4 downtime. Him being so worn out he can't even move makes for pretty dull fights.

Gears 2 and 3 are already pretty pointless. Gear 4 outclasses them entirely, and after gear 4 he can't even use 2 or 3 anyways.

He eventually has to remove that drawback anyways in order to stand 1v1 against anyone strong. He's lucked out twice already, against Doflamingo he had scores of people willing to get in the way, and he just happened to run into Brulee to use to escape when against Katakuri (lucked out in the sense that he's eventually not going to have the luxury to escape the fight for a while, such as when he fought Lucci). Technically speaking, both of them were stronger than Luffy and should have won against him.
Old 2021-02-09, 11:01   Link #33
marvelB

BTW, while we're still on the subject of Luffy's G4 downtime, there is something interesting to note: Someone had actually asked Oda in an SBS why Luffy seemed less exhausted against Katakuri (ie was able to run around) compared to Doflamingo (had the whole island supporting him). Oda answered that Luffy WAS capable of moving around during his downtime period against Dofla, but merely decided to sit back and accept the Dressrosan people's help. However, Luffy would still have defeated Doflamingo even WITHOUT the island's assistance. My guess in the current case is that Luffy exhausted himself faster against Kaidou due to using ryuuou while in G4 mode, but maybe a future SBS will address the issue. I think I might be right though, because let's not forget that Luffy lasted literal hours without rest against both Cracker and Katakuri in the last arc (eleven hours in Cracker's case!).

....Though ultimately, I'm pretty sure that the current situation merely falls into the pattern I mentioned in my previous post. I guess it's just Oda's preferred method of building suspense, is all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Now I'm not saying he keep rehashing everything, but it's hard to notice similarities like birdcage and Onigashima threatening to fall on the capital. Or the giant boat on Fishman island.
Yeah, I brought up the "doomsday" pattern before, too. Nearly every major arc had something like that since entering the Grand Line (from Crocodile's bomb in Alabasta, to Eneru's giant thunder ball in Skypiea, to Enies Lobby's Buster Call, etc.). Guess old habits die hard for our author (not that I mind, personally).
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote