AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2021-10-27, 10:57   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 1030 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Who's ready for more OP goodness? Credit goes to AP's Redon and co. for spoiler info:

-Chapter title is "Echoes the impermanence of all things" (which is a reference to the opening verse of the Heike Monogatari). Splash features Brooke.

-The chapter begins with a secret meeting between Drake and Apoo, the latter of whom having figured out that the former is a marine spy. However, he doesn't care about this, and offers to form an alliance between the two. What's more, Apoo has backup in the form of Numbers 1-3, who are respectively named Inbi, Fuga, and Zanki. Drake doesn't trust Apoo, but the long-armed one answers the feeling is mutual. However, that doesn't matter in the end, since this is ultimately a win-win situation they both can reap the benefits from, regardless of the side that wins....

-Meanwhile, Nami's group are evacuating from the fire when they come across.... Kinemon's talking legs! The samurai's lower half is confused since he has no ears, but Nami lets him know he's among allies when she traces the crescent moon symbol on him with her finger. After explaining the situation to them, Usopp goes to search for Kinemon's upper half with Hamlet (that goofy giraffe Gifter dude). We then cut to the Scabbard leader's upper half, who notes that despite the wounds he received, he survived being split in half due the effects of Law's powers from back at Punk Hazard. Nearby is the motionless Kanjurou, who gets a call from Orochi via den den mushi. The traitor is still alive, but just barely. Orochi praises his performance, but requests he perform one final act as vengeance for the Kurozumi clan, telling him to put an end to Onigashima! Using the last of his strength, the former Scabbard paints a giant yokai with his brush, known as the Kazenbou! The demon travels through the castle's walls as it sets everything around it ablaze!

-Back on the mainland, the residents of Wano are still oblivious to the happenings taking place in the air. Meanwhile, Momo's still trying to produce enough clouds to push back Onigashima. Back inside the castle, the war is still raging on, and curiously, it seems that the CP0 agents have left the guest room. Back to Orochi, he gloats at both warring factions for underestimating him, as he's well aware of Kaidou's cache of weapons, which he helped create! He wants Kanjurou's demon to ignite the explosives, and awaits Fukurokuju's return so they can escape!

-Meanwhile, Yamato is making her way towards the armory when she notices a titanic clash taking place: Kid and Law vs. Big Mom! It's at this point that we learn something huge: Both supernovas have AWAKENED their abilities! However, it uses up a huge amount of energy, so they can only use them as trump cards! Law uses his awakened power first, creating a KROOM that he coats his sword with. He then plunges the blade into Big Mom, creating a shock wave from within!!! As Linlin reels from the attack, it's Kid's turn, next: He turns the empress into a giant magnet, which attracts all of the surrounding metal to her. He then crushes her with a devastating PUNK CRASH!!!!

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by marvelB; 2021-10-28 at 09:16.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-27, 11:02   Link #2
marvelB

Aw yeah, Kid and Law are awakened DF users! Welp, this pretty much guarantees that Luffy will awaken his own ability against Kaidou, soon enough. And come to think of it, Oda DID tease that Gear 5 was on the horizon a little while back.....

BTW, I wonder how many are going ballistic that Kanjurou is STILL alive? And for him to create such a powerful creature on the (supposed) verge of death.... is he an awakened user too, lol?
Old 2021-10-27, 16:55   Link #3
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

At this point I'm waiting for it to be revealed that Yasuie survived his execution. No one fucking dies (except Ace and Whitebeard).
Old 2021-10-28, 09:28   Link #4
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
At this point I'm waiting for it to be revealed that Yasuie survived his execution. No one fucking dies (except Ace and Whitebeard).
Yep, this is just about the type of response I expected!

Anyhoo, summary updated! Wow, those new Numbers definitely look the most intimidating of the lot so far. Come to think of it, I think it would be pretty interesting if Apoo ended up stealing the Numbers from Kaidou and added them to his own crew since he's essentially their caretaker, anyway. I don't have anything new to say about Kanjurou, but I'm kinda curious to see whether or not Orochi makes one final stand. Most may not care at this point, but I want to see how he looks in his hybrid form. And needless to say, Law and Kid's awakened attacks are awesome! I also see that Law's in particular doesn't seem to affect the whole environment like Doflamingo's and Katakuri's did, so maybe there's still some hope that Luffy's awakened state isn't him simply turning Onigashima into his own personal pinball table....
Old 2021-10-28, 11:08   Link #5
Rainbowman

Those awakened abilities are the main highlights of this chapter.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-28, 13:45   Link #6
The Small One

Somehow the fact that those two awakened their power, while Luffy (and Chopper and Robin) didn't kinda disappoints me.
It completely cheapens the fact, that the Straw Hats retreated for two years to completely focus on training, if those who didn't made the same or even greater progress during this time.
The Small One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-28, 17:22   Link #7
Homura7

It has nothing to do with Law's DF ability. Kaido actually cut Kinemon in half! He's keeping himself alive by sheer force of will, but even he knows he won't last long. And then Kanjuro used his last breath to draw a Umibozu-like monster that is burning everything in its wake.
Homura7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-28, 17:53   Link #8
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Void View Post
It has nothing to do with Law's DF ability. Kaido actually cut Kinemon in half! He's keeping himself alive by sheer force of will, but even he knows he won't last long. And then Kanjuro used his last breath to draw a Umibozu-like monster that is burning everything in its wake.
I know One Piece is full of ridiculous things but you don't keep your lower body running around and speaking (through farts) through willpower alone. It's definitely related to Law's DF. It even sort of makes sense, since Law never put Kinemon back together in Punk Hazard, he did it himself.
Old 2021-10-28, 18:33   Link #9
marvelB

Yeah, it's definitely Law's ability keeping Kinemon alive. I mean, the samurai himself even points it out, so that kinda leaves little (if any) room for doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
Somehow the fact that those two awakened their power, while Luffy (and Chopper and Robin) didn't kinda disappoints me.
It completely cheapens the fact, that the Straw Hats retreated for two years to completely focus on training, if those who didn't made the same or even greater progress during this time.
Personally speaking, I'm not bothered at all by the notion of any supernovas awakening their DFs ahead of Luffy. Why? Because I'm starting to suspect that being a top tier expert is NOT necessary to awaken a DF ability. I mean, remember the awakened Zoan guards from Impel Down? They appeared before the time skip, and they were essentially glorified fodder. So it doesn't seem that one needs to be a world-class fighter to unlock a fruit's full potential.... I'm guessing it's more of a case by case situation where it depends on an individual's compatibility with their respective fruit that decides how soon (if ever) they can awaken their ability. I also wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the Lineage Factor plays a pivotal role in the phenomenon, as well.....
Old 2021-10-29, 17:17   Link #10
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
I brought that up just last week, this chapter just reinforced it even more. The Supernova learned haki just fine all on their own. After being personally trained by the Pirate King's right hand man for two years (not exactly, since Rayleigh left him alone for a while), Luffy came out weaker than Kid. And yes, he was definitely weaker until recently. Kid defeated one of Big Mom's commander, and Luffy had a super hard time against Cracker (only won thanks to Nami, in fact) and only managed a draw against Katakuri. We also learns that haki, like love, blooms on the battlefield so it would have made more sense for him to learn everything on the fly. 2 years just for the basics seems like a lot in retrospect.

He should have also gotten the awakening a long time ago (coating yourself with CoC should have been the endgame instead IMO). It's true we have no idea how to awaken a DF, but I think Marvel is being really optimistic here.

The timeskip was a mistake. That's also when the quality of the story started dropping.
Old 2021-10-30, 00:55   Link #11
Rainbowman

Quote:
The timeskip was a mistake. That's also when the quality of the story started dropping.
And yet it’s popularity has surpassed Naruto with twice the amount of chapters and counting. Seems like quantity outweighs quality in the latter half of the story with the exception of a few gems within. Hope I didn’t butcher what I was saying.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-30, 11:46   Link #12
Hoodspirit

I don't mind the awakening so far. If we get an explanation of new abilities, it is almost always after the first showcase. So until we get that explanation I'm fine with Law and Kid tapping into it.
As for the abilities shown so far, Law is OP again, could have easily unleashed the shockwave inside the brain of Big Mom, but is that really that much different from Gamma Knife?
Kid should have been able to achieve a similar effect by using his DF normally too. So far we have not seen a limitation that would prevent him from sending the metal bars to BM himself, or influencing her sword.

The Apoo and Drake stuff is weird, but I don't care about it at all.

Characters living on past their emotional farewell, it always hurts the story.If the first thing didn't happen, I'ld be fine with them surviving. Oda giving an injured Kinemon a blow to the head, flashbacks for Momo and kInemon, and stabbing him again in the next chapter, if even that isn't a death indicator anymore. We simply won't feel anything for a character portraited to be dying.

Quote:
The promise of the SHP during the timeskip was ignored in act too as well.
Luffy in the hands of the Beast Pirates, was only met with comedic responses from the SHPs. Despite them not knowing Luffy's current condition and them only knowing from Zou how Beast Pirates treat their prisoners. Instead they went on missions that were all shown to be useless.

One Piece can be really good, but chapters like these hurt a lot.
Hoodspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-30, 18:57   Link #13
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodspirit View Post
I don't mind the awakening so far. If we get an explanation of new abilities, it is almost always after the first showcase. So until we get that explanation I'm fine with Law and Kid tapping into it.
As for the abilities shown so far, Law is OP again, could have easily unleashed the shockwave inside the brain of Big Mom, but is that really that much different from Gamma Knife?
Kid should have been able to achieve a similar effect by using his DF normally too. So far we have not seen a limitation that would prevent him from sending the metal bars to BM himself, or influencing her sword.
That's probably the worst part. Their awakening totally suck. As you said, Law's awakening doesn't seem too different from Gamma Knife (damaging someone from the inside). I'm also not sure what to think of the fact he easily stabbed Big Mom in the neck.

And if Kid's powers work on Napoleon, I don't know why he didn't turn him against Big Mom.
Old 2021-10-31, 18:11   Link #14
grey_1960
Annie Leonhart

Chapter 1030
The chapter is not bad I was wondering when Kidd and Law were going to use there awaken ability. Sadly its not on par with Daflamingo's. I wonder how long Daflamingo has been using his. He used it like he was a god. Has for Kidd I guess he will become the next Magneto. Sadly Hawkins never had his or bothered to find his. Maybe if he has it or finds his he can repair his arm. His awaken ability would be awesome. I wonder if Kidd and Hawkins are really that different in power? Hawkins vs. Killer with 92% probability win rate is huge. If not that tells you who has there awaken ability and who doesn't. At least we know the awakening has different power levels based on time using it. Now the next question is does every devil fruit have one? My final verdict is Big Mama did not go down. I wonder does she have her awaken ability?

Hawkins vs. Killer
If Hawkins had read the cards better he would have been able to defeat Killer at 100% instead of 92%. How? Its all about reading the cards right and asking the right questions. The first questions Hawkins answered were right questions. In chapter 1011 he said his odds were unfavorable when going up against Kidd and Killer at the same time. When Killer covered for Kidd, his chances rose to 92% has he stated. The cards and fortune is all about reading the future and determining fate. So the second question should have been why does Killer have 8% chance at victory? People think if he had drawn the right card he would have had victory but that not how it works. You have to ask yourself why do people get their fortune read? So they can change it. You might say that sounds ludicrous but then why have your fortune read then? Whether you can change it or not is another question. Hind site 20/20 he should have applied this to all his battles regardless weather the odds are against him or not.

The order to Annex Wano and capture Robin at the same time was a big mistake
Why is that? Look at the orders they literally conflict with each other. The annexing of Wano is a big event and the capturing of Robin is a covert event. Second Wano is controlled by Kaidou (Yonkou). So if they piss of both they could literally see a temporary truce. Do you think Luffy will abandon Robin over a fight with Kaidou? Will Kaidou let the Marines or the WG take Wano especially when Big Mama are allied? Doing individual orders would have been easier and more manageable. Ciphor Pol capturing Robin is has easy has clubbing a baby seal. Letting the pirate duke it out and then beating them down would have been questionable more manageable. A possible truce between pirates that may turn the tide.

Which admiral is leading the annex of Wano?
Since annexing Wano is a big event and not secret who will show up? All three? Maybe just Ryokugyu the green bull. I mean we got a Zoan theme in this arch why not throw another? I don't see Fujitori doing it but who knows. I won't say it won't conflict with his morals. If its Kizaru we better see a new ability or a power jump or his awakening?
grey_1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-31, 18:24   Link #15
Tuor

One of the reasons people who have their fortunes read is so that they can prepare for it. You may not be able to prevent the event from happening, but you *can* improve your chances of dealing with the event and maximizing the outcome in your favor. If the event cannot be changed, then you can always try to change yourself.
Tuor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-01, 00:01   Link #16
itachi-san314

I like the Awakening scene, but I feel like it would be better if Law and Kid learned their awakenings from being pushed by Big Mom and just happened to try them at the same time. It would be better writing imo since then they wouldn't have randomly held them back during previous fights and it would be similar to how Luffy learns new abilities while fighting as well. Not sure why Oda didn't go this route. I mean, fighting Doffy would have been a good time for Law to use it right?

Kanjuro still being alive is kind of shocking although it shouldn't be. He really is the best actor in the series.
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-01, 03:32   Link #17
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
So I'm going to throw out the controversial opinion at this point:

Luffy should NOT get an awakened Devil Fruit.

Now, as I'm about to cause a ton of screaming with this, let me explain: it has always been my opinion ever since we started seeing more of Roger and his crew that Devil Fruits were the gimmick needed to make One Piece "cool" for Shounen Jump way back in the day. Obviously, they became a huge part of One Piece, but look at this interesting thing: Three of the strongest fighters (potentially four) in OP history DID NOT HAVE DEVIL FRUITS. To the best of my knowledge, Roger himself, Garp, and Oden only had INSANE willpower. We also don't know enough about Rocks yet, but remember that it took Roger and Garp working together to take him down. For all we currently know, Rocks also may not have had a Devil Fruit

What I'm trying to say is, maybe the only thing Luffy REALLY needs for his accomplishment of becoming Pirate King is his Insane Willpower (oh, and being a D. certainly helps). So if Luffy were to awaken his Devil Fruit... while a power-up, it automatically knocks him out of what we've seen of the Big Leagues so far. Hell, Shanks is also another Major Player who doesn't appear to have any sort of Devil Fruit.

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-01, 06:06   Link #18
grey_1960
Annie Leonhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
So I'm going to throw out the controversial opinion at this point:

Luffy should NOT get an awakened Devil Fruit.

Now, as I'm about to cause a ton of screaming with this, let me explain: it has always been my opinion ever since we started seeing more of Roger and his crew that Devil Fruits were the gimmick needed to make One Piece "cool" for Shounen Jump way back in the day. Obviously, they became a huge part of One Piece, but look at this interesting thing: Three of the strongest fighters (potentially four) in OP history DID NOT HAVE DEVIL FRUITS. To the best of my knowledge, Roger himself, Garp, and Oden only had INSANE willpower. We also don't know enough about Rocks yet, but remember that it took Roger and Garp working together to take him down. For all we currently know, Rocks also may not have had a Devil Fruit

What I'm trying to say is, maybe the only thing Luffy REALLY needs for his accomplishment of becoming Pirate King is his Insane Willpower (oh, and being a D. certainly helps). So if Luffy were to awaken his Devil Fruit... while a power-up, it automatically knocks him out of what we've seen of the Big Leagues so far. Hell, Shanks is also another Major Player who doesn't appear to have any sort of Devil Fruit.
Awaken or not to be? That is the question.
You need to look at it from a history point of view. How long has the devil fruit been on the seen? When did it first arrive? If it was new or not known then that would explain why all the old timers never had it. The next question you need to ask is if many of the old timers had the option of getting a fruit and the awaken abilities, do you think they would take it? You will be in for disappointment. I think Luffy's fruit will be hack or something powerful. Why do you say that? His awaken ability isn't like laws or Kidd's. Its closer in my opinion to a passive ability that will work with his body. A good example his awaken ability may make him immune to haki like rubber does to electricity. He may be able to enhance all of his gears time 50. Think about this Whos Who(one of the six) was thrown into Prison level six for letting Shanks take the fruit from him. Whos Who was comparable and seen has the next Rob Lucci(CP0). So this fruit must have been powerful to throw a CP9 official in prison. I mean Rob has failed and I sure CP9 has failed many times. Why was Who's Who treated like that for his failure to protect the fruit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
One of the reasons people who have their fortunes read is so that they can prepare for it. You may not be able to prevent the event from happening, but you *can* improve your chances of dealing with the event and maximizing the outcome in your favor. If the event cannot be changed, then you can always try to change yourself.
What is the point?
Preparing is accepting defeat. Human nature does not treat fortune telling that way. It literally is pointless and a scam if that all its used for. You ask because you want to know is it good or bad? If its bad then you ask more questions. Why? Because you want to change the outcome. Your trying to piece in your head the puzzle and see if you can head it off.
grey_1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-01, 15:18   Link #19
Gerard07

Hello everyone, I join the forum, sorry if my English is bad, I am still learning!
I've been watching One Piece for a long time and I really like it, this latest arc will help Luffy further establish himself as a pirate, as well as getting maybe more nakamas (like Yamato and / or Carrot), too. It consolidates Law and Kid as his contemporary rivals, so I quite like him.
Regarding the last chapters, I liked that some characters have more participation, for example Robin against BM (is it possible that he has already awakened his fruit? It would explain why he got so tired when using his ability), Momo is trying to stop the floating island (Let's see how he does it), Sanji received a power-up (he needed it), I liked the Killer vs Hawkins fight, about the characters that do not die (Kin'emon, Kiku and Kanjuro),well,Oda is like that, so Once Oda wants Kin'emon to meet his wife before he dies, and Law and Kid woke up their fruits, it was probably after the fight against Doffy, and although it is somewhat forced, I like it, I hope Oda develops and explains well this, wait for the next chapters.
Gerard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-04, 14:20   Link #20
The Small One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
Obviously, they became a huge part of One Piece, but look at this interesting thing: Three of the strongest fighters (potentially four) in OP history DID NOT HAVE DEVIL FRUITS. To the best of my knowledge, Roger himself, Garp, and Oden only had INSANE willpower. We also don't know enough about Rocks yet, but remember that it took Roger and Garp working together to take him down. For all we currently know, Rocks also may not have had a Devil Fruit
Just because we don't know of a characters fruit, it doesn't mean they didn't have it.
To me the story always got the vibe that Gold Roger was the previous wielder of Luffy's fruit. Of course it may or may not be the case, but saying Roger did't have one is speculation as well.
The Small One is offline   Reply With Quote