AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2021-02-02, 08:45   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 1003 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Hello, friends! It's time to get down to business! Unfortunately, AP seems to be down again at the moment, so I had to use alternate sources for spoiler info. Credit still goes to Redon, though:

-Chapter title is "Night on the board". Splash features Reiju.

-After unleashing his devastating attack on Kaidou, Luffy's haki runs dry, leaving him a sitting duck for the next ten minutes! Still, the move proved effective: Kaidou is coughing up blood! Kid even acknowledges the risk is worth it if it can cause that much damage. Still, Big Mom naturally exploits this opportunity to target the rubber man, but she gets intercepted by Zoro and Law, the latter of whom uses a Counter Shock! Kaidou makes a tornado that sweeps Luffy into his mouth, but Zoro once again comes to his captain's aid, creating a tornado of his own! The whirlwind wounds Kaidou, who finally realizes that the Pirate Hunter is wielding one of Oden's blades (noting it emits a strange haki). He then unleashes an even stronger tornado of his own, which destroys much of the surrounding area....!!!

-Meanwhile, in the castle, the tremors from the rooftop battle can be felt throughout. We also discover some previously unseen guests to the banquet.... in the form of CP0!!! We see two of the agents playing a game of Go, which reflects their assessment of the current situation: The rebel side, which has 5400 troops total, has lost 400 of their number. Kaidou's side, which is 30,000 strong, lost 3000 people. We can also briefly see the other battles taking place during this scene. Meanwhile, the CP0 boss laments the fact that their trade partner, Orochi, was slain (and whose severed head is still seen laying on the floor), and that the banquet turned into a war. However, he acknowledges that after Doflamingo's downfall, a clash between the Yonkou and Worst Generation was inevitable, and should those two emperors be toppled, the state of the world would become unpredictable! Despite this, he can't see the samurai side winning, since even if the emperors fall, there's still the executives (aka the all-stars and Tobi Roppou) to deal with. But no matter the outcome, the CP0 will be satisfied as long as the pirates destroy each other.....

-We then return to the rooftop, where things have taken an interesting turn: For Kaidou finally morphs into his hybrid form!!! We only see it in silhouette form, though. He tells Linlin that things are getting fun, and his partner can only agree.....!!!!!

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by marvelB; 2021-02-06 at 08:07.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-02, 17:15   Link #2
Hoodspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Luffy's haki runs dry[/IMAGES]
Again... *sigh*

So instead of improving G4 via the training, it got worse. At least I didn't get the feeling that they were fighting for 20+ minutes yet.

If the pictures don't show any significant damage to Kaido, the very short G4 round was pointless. Should have spammed Red Rock instead. Just going by the text, Kaido seems to be acting freely, without any restrictions from Luffy's attacks.

At this point I won't blame anyone who thinks Zoro was stronger than Luffy after the timeskip, but is currently stronger as well.
Hoodspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-02, 17:39   Link #3
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodspirit View Post
Again... *sigh*

So instead of improving G4 via the training, it got worse. At least I didn't get the feeling that they were fighting for 20+ minutes yet.

If the pictures don't show any significant damage to Kaido, the very short G4 round was pointless. Should have spammed Red Rock instead. Just going by the text, Kaido seems to be acting freely, without any restrictions from Luffy's attacks.

At this point I won't blame anyone who thinks Zoro was stronger than Luffy after the timeskip, but is currently stronger as well.
Zoro got power-up thanks to Enma, but I don't think he's getting used to it yet. Also, I expect this since Luffy learning Ryuo is just at the beginner level. Mastering Gear 4 requires more time and Luffy needs to adapt himself to use Ryuo further.

For CP-0, who would it be? I expect at least some of the former CP-9 joins in.
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-02, 18:03   Link #4
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I wouldn't call the CP0 a surprise audience, since we knew they were in Wano and it was a given they would monitor the war. The question is whether they'll get involved.

I really thought the Gear 4's haki drain would be solved by now. Luffy will never be among the best as long as he has that glaring weakness. The weirdest part is that Red Rock, a Gear 3 attack, seems to have done more damage than any of Gear 4's attacks. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets revealed Luffy hasn't been using Ryuou while in Gear 4 and that he has a different mode for it.
Old 2021-02-02, 21:10   Link #5
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodspirit View Post
LOL, this almost read like a grey_1960 post for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I really thought the Gear 4's haki drain would be solved by now. Luffy will never be among the best as long as he has that glaring weakness. The weirdest part is that Red Rock, a Gear 3 attack, seems to have done more damage than any of Gear 4's attacks. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets revealed Luffy hasn't been using Ryuou while in Gear 4 and that he has a different mode for it.
I dunno, personally I think it kinda makes sense that Luffy hasn't overcome his Gear 4 weakness yet. I mean, how much time passed since he beat Katakuri? A little over a month, I think? Honestly, I feel he'd need a bit more time than that to perfectly master his haki (Rayleigh even told him before the skip that 2 years wasn't enough time to master it, remember). As I've been saying all along, teamwork is gonna be the key method to take down the emperors. We already know Zoro has his back (who, BTW, isn't a haki master either since he hasn't fully controlled Enma), but he's also got the other supernovas present to hold the fort until he recovers. Law and Kid may talk big, but I think they're well aware by now (even if they're too proud to admit it) that they can't topple the Yonkou solo, either. I know a lot of people expect the Pirate King to be the (physically) strongest, but I think the ability to attract several powerful allies by his side should also be considered a strength, as well.... it's something Mihawk pointed out at Marineford, even.

Now, having said all that, I'm still kinda leaning towards DF awakening being the ace up Luffy's sleeve. It'll most likely drain him of his haki even faster than Gear 4 (especially if he combines it with ryuuou), but I fully expect the benefits to outweigh the downsides in the end....
Old 2021-02-03, 08:18   Link #6
Ramero

Quote:
I dunno, personally I think it kinda makes sense that Luffy hasn't overcome his Gear 4 weakness yet. I mean, how much time passed since he beat Katakuri? A little over a month, I think? Honestly, I feel he'd need a bit more time than that to perfectly master his haki (Rayleigh even told him before the skip that 2 years wasn't enough time to master it, remember). As I've been saying all along, teamwork is gonna be the key method to take down the emperors. We already know Zoro has his back (who, BTW, isn't a haki master either since he hasn't fully controlled Enma), but he's also got the other supernovas present to hold the fort until he recovers. Law and Kid may talk big, but I think they're well aware by now (even if they're too proud to admit it) that they can't topple the Yonkou solo, either. I know a lot of people expect the Pirate King to be the (physically) strongest, but I think the ability to attract several powerful allies by his side should also be considered a strength, as well.... it's something Mihawk pointed out at Marineford, even.

Now, having said all that, I'm still kinda leaning towards DF awakening being the ace up Luffy's sleeve. It'll most likely drain him of his haki even faster than Gear 4 (especially if he combines it with ryuuou), but I fully expect the benefits to outweigh the downsides in the end....
Luffy has just entered gear 4 in like around less than six months (and that is where Luffy was able to master his Haki from Rayleigh and Rayleigh leaves Luffy in the last six months). Considering Gear 4 brings a bunch of setbacks unlike Gear 2 and 3 which later he was able to master it without side effects, Gear 4 is like a combination of Gear 2 and 3, but with Haki Augmentation. The setback, of course, is bigger than standard Gear 2 or 3.

Luffy definitely needs to awaken his DF, not to mention he needs to get used to Ryuo first. Then again, mastering it requires routine practice. Luffy mastered Gear 2 and 3 during a time skip, also he first uses it against Doflamingo, so it will take more time to master it not to mention he manages to create a bunch of varies of it.
Old 2021-02-03, 08:34   Link #7
DemonOfWrath

Seriously though, why is Luffy the literal only character in the series who has this drawback to an attack/form/powerup? Nobody else has been shown to run out of haki, and that includes all the other people who'd be as inexperienced as he is with it.
DemonOfWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-03, 10:01   Link #8
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonOfWrath View Post
Seriously though, why is Luffy the literal only character in the series who has this drawback to an attack/form/powerup? Nobody else has been shown to run out of haki, and that includes all the other people who'd be as inexperienced as he is with it.
Ah, but I already pointed out Zoro's inability to fully tame Enma (which forcefully drains its wielder's haki), did I not? I'd say that's another good example of incomplete haki mastery right there.
Old 2021-02-03, 11:11   Link #9
Ramero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonOfWrath View Post
Luffy and Zoro so far are the one who has a drawback once applying Haki into a certain techniques and weapons.

Quote:
Ah, but I already pointed out Zoro's inability to fully tame Enma (which forcefully drains its wielder's haki), did I not? I'd say that's another good example of incomplete haki mastery right there.
I was thinking if Enma has the ability to suck out a user's Haki unwillingly. Zoro already mastered Haki, but if looking at Enma's characteristics, it probably requires a higher level of Haki.
Old 2021-02-03, 18:09   Link #10
DemonOfWrath

Quote:
When Zoro ends up completely out of haki and helpless in a fight because of Enma sure. Until then no, nobody else in the series has done anything like that, it's unique to Luffy.
DemonOfWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-03, 18:45   Link #11
Rainbowman

So CP0 was keeping score for this battle? I wonder if they would step in at some point.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-04, 02:02   Link #12
Hoodspirit

Quote:
LOL, this almost read like a grey_1960 post for me
Sorry, I was pretty frustrated at Luffy's regression.

Meanwhile I saw the raws of the chapter, so it would be unfair of me to comment on it further (or any other point of the chapter), until the english scan is out.
Old 2021-02-04, 09:19   Link #13
marvelB

Summary updated! So, CP0 was in the castle, all along.... doesn't look like Lucci is among them, though (I prefer to see more new members, anyway). As for Orochi, I'm still pretty certain he'll make a comeback soon.... with his remaining eight heads. Also, the CP0 chief mentioning the all-stars makes me feel all the more certain that Jack will return to the battlefield, as well (umpteenth reminder that we still haven't seen his hybrid form yet, either). Anyway, I hope that overview of the other battles means we'll shift focus from the rooftop next chapter....
Old 2021-02-05, 03:29   Link #14
Hoodspirit

Chapter out, Oda did put quite the emphasis on Luffy's Gattling. But same as the spoiler text, it didn't seem to have much of an effect on Kaido's abilities to retaliate.
Also, Luffy not only lasting shorter amount of time in G4 than in Dressrosa, but he also looks worse off than he did in WCI, where he could still run and do Haki-less attacks. Here he is on the verge of being unconscious.
Though it could be a Lucci situation, in which Lucci only felt the effect of the attacks way later and I can see a long Gattling draining Luffy faster. Still miffed, but it is what it is.

Big Mom laughing at Luffy finishing too early was a cheeky joke, I laughed at that.

CP0 playing the wrong game.
Chopper and Tama will make it a game of othello!
Actually Oda highlighted a few characters here after showing the game.
There have been speculations on Sasaki being Kokoro's son and Franky turning him.
Sanji turned some woman before, so he might do it here too.
Tama, Nami, Usopp Ulti group, no need to explain.
Jinbei fighting Who's who and that cat knows Jinbei too. depending on how he views Jinbei he coud turn too.
Last panel in that sequence has Momonosuke in him. He does have a decent chance at turning the Ninja's and Samurai back to Wano's side. (to prevent futur civil war). This would be a major game changer. Most of the Samurai and Ninja will have families in the Flower Capital, and Momonosuke is the one who has clouds of his own.

People who were not shown were Marco, Robin and Brook. Those who have no opponents to turn (doubt the All-stars will be turnable).

Last edited by Hoodspirit; 2021-02-05 at 05:57.
Old 2021-02-05, 07:24   Link #15
Kaz_

Damn, that splash page of Luffy utterly pulverizing Kaido with Linlin's terrified face...
I think I have seen it all and can die happy now.
Kaz_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-05, 08:22   Link #16
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I'm surprised Big Mom was the one who realized Zoro has Oden's sword. Come to think of it, she was the one who warned Kaido it was no ordinary sword last week too. Given her DF, maybe she can feel Oden's soul inside it?
Old 2021-02-05, 11:33   Link #17
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

time for the SH grand fleet to show up and even the odds?
Old 2021-02-05, 13:25   Link #18
itachi-san314

I wonder how many times we'll see that Go board

Zoro was certainly clutch saving Luffy there. 10 minutes vs 2 emperors should feel like a lifetime. Plenty of time for Luffy to think about how to incorporate his new skills into a Gear 5
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-06, 08:21   Link #19
marvelB

Just wanted to mention I fixed up the summary a tiny bit more. CP0 was referring to Kaidou's executives as a whole, not just the all-stars. Makes sense too, since the Tobi Roppou/Flying Six are right under the all-stars in the chain of command. Heck, some of them were already gunning for the all-star position (Sasaki and Who's Who in particular), so it's no surprise CP0 would consider them a legit threat, should they still be standing even after the emperors are toppled. I mean, even the Ulti/Page One pair weren't so easily taken out by Luffy and Yamato earlier in the battle.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I'm surprised Big Mom was the one who realized Zoro has Oden's sword. Come to think of it, she was the one who warned Kaido it was no ordinary sword last week too. Given her DF, maybe she can feel Oden's soul inside it?
Hm, from the scans I read, it's clearly Kaidou who notices it's Oden's sword. Well, nothing the official TL can't clear up, hopefully!

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
Plenty of time for Luffy to think about how to incorporate his new skills into a Gear 5
Speaking of, anyone checked out the SBS thread yet? Some pretty interesting new stuff to check out!
Old 2021-02-07, 14:53   Link #20
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Liked seeing the others watch Luffy take on Kaido. Interesting to see more CP0 members, wonder if they will take action any action. Only teasing Kaido hybrid form!

I hope the other battles won't be off paneled. It seemed like the time in gear 4 time went down. Was Luffy using Ryuo during that gatling?