AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2021-06-22, 09:05   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 1017 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Shall we do this? As usual, credit goes to AP's Redon and co. for the spoiler info:

-Chapter title is "Order". Splash features Buggy.

-Using Bao Huang, Tama prepares to give her orders, but she gets intimidated by Queen! Throughout the castle, we see various combatants on the rebel side having a hard time because their respective opponents are backed up by their subordinates. But soon, after a bit of encouragement from Nami and Usopp, Tama finally gives her orders to the Gifters who ate her dangos! Immediately, they all fight on the samurais' side! Meanwhile, outside the island, Luffy has been rescued, and the Momo/Shinobu pair seem to be fine as well, though the former is still visibly shaken.

-CP0 is confused by the sudden turn of events. Back at the live stage, Queen prepares to blast Tama with a beam, but Sanji stops him with a kick! This causes the enraged all-star to finally transform into his hybrid form! He tells the cook that he's a cyborg, and in the past collaborated with Vinsmoke Judge in a project known as MADS! As for Chopper, the 30-minute time limit to his upgraded Rumble Balls runs out, and he begins experiencing side effects.... which not only shrunk him, but makes him talk like an old man.... a form dubbed BabyJiji Chopper (or Baby Geezer, heh). His mink comrades then present Zoro with a special medicine, which will instantly heal him! However, it comes with a major drawback: Once it's effects wear off, the swordsman will feel twice the pain from his injuries. Zoro doesn't care about this, and demands they give him the drug...

-We then shift focus to another battle: Jinbei vs. Who's Who! Now that the enemy's servants have to deal with the converted Gifters, Jinbei can better concentrate on his opponent. Who's Who fights using Rokushiki, the martial art that the WG uses to train its fighters. As the knight of the sea notes this, Who's Who transforms into his hybrid mode! Jinbei then figures out his identity: He had heard rumors that a former CP9 agent had busted out of prison. Who's Who confirms this, and says he saw Jinbei in Impel Down two years ago, though they had no direct interaction at the time. He also explains that he was considered a genius who rivaled Rob Lucci in strength, but a single blunder he made twelve years ago got him put in the slammer! As they continue fighting, Jinbei thinks they have no grudge between them, but Who's Who begs to differ: According to the former agent, that blunder from a dozen years back was related to a certain Devil Fruit that was in the World Government's possession, which was stolen from a marine ship. When he busted out, he was surprised to learn that very fruit's powers were being used by a rookie pirate! That stolen fruit was none other than the GOMU GOMU NO MI......!!!!!

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by marvelB; 2021-06-24 at 11:21.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-22, 17:03   Link #2
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Twelve years ago? Which DF could it be? Maybe Bonney's?
Old 2021-06-22, 17:16   Link #3
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

Nah, Bonney probably haven't reach the age where she can set sail twelve years ago. If looking at the timeline, it will be around nine to ten years if Luffy start his adventure.
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-22, 17:55   Link #4
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramero View Post
Nah, Bonney probably haven't reach the age where she can set sail twelve years ago. If looking at the timeline, it will be around nine to ten years if Luffy start his adventure.
We have no clue what her age is.

The obvious answer is that it's the Gomu Gomu fruit, but not only is it too obvious, it would be a garbage twist too. Luffy is already the son and grandson of two of the strongest men in the world, as well as being at the center of a prophecy that will change the world. If his DF turns out to have been some super OP DF rather than a shitty one he managed to make the most of through sheer hard work, it would undermine his achievements.
Old 2021-06-22, 23:15   Link #5
marvelB

Luffy's fruit came to my mind too, but if memory serves me right, Law gained his Ope Ope ability 12 years ago, as well. And we know for a fact that the WG DID have an interest in that particular fruit since it's capable of granting immortality. Remember how the marines were even willing to buy it from X Drake's father for a huge sum of cash? So I can definitely see that fruit being the one that got Who's Who in trouble. Like maybe he tried to steal/sell it like Barrels (Drake's pops) did, or something.
Old 2021-06-22, 23:46   Link #6
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
The obvious answer is that it's the Gomu Gomu fruit, but not only is it too obvious, it would be a garbage twist too. Luffy is already the son and grandson of two of the strongest men in the world, as well as being at the center of a prophecy that will change the world. If his DF turns out to have been some super OP DF rather than a shitty one he managed to make the most of through sheer hard work, it would undermine his achievements.
I think there's a strong implication that its the Gomu Gomu Fruit from the spoiler providers.

But there's isn't necessarily a strong implication that the fruit itself is super-duper special in any way like Law's or Teach's fruits.

And worst case scenario that there is something super duper special about it, Luffy hasn't used that aspect of it in any of his fights. All of his prior feats with the fruit still stand.

I for one wouldn't mind if there's some additional backstory regarding the fruit that leads to it getting into Shanks' hands prior to the start of the story.
Old 2021-06-23, 12:03   Link #7
devilo96

well they(spoilers fanpages) said its luffy fruit but im not sure
devilo96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-23, 12:37   Link #8
marvelB

Summary updated! Yep, looks like Gomu Gomu was the stolen fruit, after all. But like OH&S, I really don't feel that whatever significance the fruit holds for the WG should dilute Luffy's accomplishments up to now. He's still going through Hell and back to become Pirate King, and that's all that really matters. But that being said, I have a damn good feeling that the government's interest in the DF lies within the user's awakened state, which makes me all the more excited for the rubber man's awakening....

And yep, past between Queen and Judge confirmed! Now I'm definitely confident Queen's viruses utilize the Lineage Factor. Perhaps that was even the purpose of that "project MAD"....?
Old 2021-06-23, 13:44   Link #9
Hoodspirit

Didn't early Oda say that he gave Luffy more of a useless fruit? (SBS or interview)
If it really is special enough to imprison a Lucci-like character in Impel Down, that would be a retcon for me.
I doubt we'll get a detailed info for a few chapters.
Instant healing potion...don't like it.
Looking forward to the Tama scene. Oda split it into 2 chapters, so I hope it will create a very emotional scene.
Hoodspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-23, 15:20   Link #10
The Small One

It may not be about the power, but about what the fruit stands for.
Like the legacy of the former user of this specific fruit or something like this.
The Small One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-23, 18:43   Link #11
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
It may not be about the power, but about what the fruit stands for.
Like the legacy of the former user of this specific fruit or something like this.
The fruit is definitely going to be special. Most likely related to its awakened state, as marvel pointed out.
Old 2021-06-23, 19:05   Link #12
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

We know that Shanks got the fruit. The question is, how did Shanks get it? Did he acquire it from the Black Market, or when he's raiding a ship that contains it?
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-24, 01:39   Link #13
Hoodspirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramero View Post
We know that Shanks got the fruit. The question is, how did Shanks get it? Did he acquire it from the Black Market, or when he's raiding a ship that contains it?
According to Chapter 1 they took it from an enemy.

If you believe Vivre Cards it was Lucky Roo who took it.
Hoodspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-24, 09:48   Link #14
necrolyte

I am not liking the idea of Luffy's fruit being special. Somehow lately everything around him and Momo looks like it is somehow related to something special/prophecies and so on.

I really like Luffy's character and his achievements exactly because his DF's power is not from the usual suspects ie. fire/water/lightning and so on and now it will become a special devil fruit so late in the series. I really hope it won't play some significant role in the future but I honestly think Oda introduced this story to us for a reason.
necrolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-24, 11:31   Link #15
marvelB

OP updated once more! Huh, Queen's hybrid form looks a little goofier than I expected (I guess because his body's still round, heh). Chopper's "BabyJiji"form is quite amusing, as well (I love that Oda even wrote out BabyJiji in English! ). Anyway, something I'm curious about is if CP0 was already aware of Who's Who's true identity before he revealed it to Jinbei? I mean, the use of Rokushiki alone should be a dead giveaway, but I'm wondering if CP0 figured out who he was even before the fighting started? Even if he's wearing a mask, I'm sure there may still have been something about him (physique, voice, mannerisms, etc.) that could have gave him away.....
Old 2021-06-24, 18:00   Link #16
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The problem with the theory of the fruit once belonging to someone infamous instead of being OP is that no one in the story EVER referenced a previous owner of the fruit.
Old 2021-06-24, 23:38   Link #17
Rainbowman

This chapter has so much information to digest at once. The revelation of Who’s Who was rather interesting to say the least.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-25, 03:54   Link #18
TURI123456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
We have no clue what her age is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodspirit View Post
Didn't early Oda say that he gave Luffy more of a useless fruit? (SBS or interview)
If it really is special enough to imprison a Lucci-like character in Impel Down, that would be a retcon for me.
I doubt we'll get a detailed info for a few chapters.
Instant healing potion...don't like it.
Looking forward to the Tama scene. Oda split it into 2 chapters, so I hope it will create a very emotional scene.
The way you tow say that makes it hear like such a thing never happens before in "Shonen Manga". And the creator of "One Piece" said that he gives to Monkey D. Luffy this power because he wares thought that will be "the most ridiculous power" or something like that and that necessary to the hero of "Shonen Manga". Anyway, that was years ago I think the creator of "One Piece" maybe change his mind about this or he wares not sure how to explain things back then.

(Editing:
I covered the question that was asked and the answer that was given in the SBS (the question about the Gomu Gomu no Mi was asked in SBS 65) and the creator said (not accurate words) that he gives Monkey D. Luffy this Devil Fruit to create a comic relief at a hard time and that kind of power makes it easier for him to continue the story for longer than a story that built around someone with strong power.
End of the editing.)

About this chapter, all this Arc reminds me of what I don't like in One Piece I mean we have here a big battle but all the focus is on few members of the Straw Hat members and I don't believe one of us really think they really going to lose here. As what happens with "Nami" and "Usopp" when they "fight" against "Ulti" and "Page One" I don't understand what the point of "Charlotte Linlin" to help them if she starts to attacks them after this plus all that happens with "Zeus" was really unnecessary.

Last edited by TURI123456; 2021-06-29 at 23:35.
TURI123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-25, 04:44   Link #19
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Pretty great chapter all things considered.
  • Tama gives out the order to switch sides to the Gifters.
  • Luffy rescued by the Heart Pirates; Momo and Shinobu still falling (but alive)
  • Sanji vs hybrid form Queen (Its not the Sanji vs King matchup I was hoping for but it'll probably be a cool fight nontheless).
  • Queen confirmed to work with Vegapunk, Ceasar and Judge as part of a project called MADS.
  • Chopper's side effect from the new rumble ball (similar to pre-timeskip Gear 3rd).
  • Zoro to be healed using drug from Zou with double pain aftereffects (EMPORIO TENSION HORMONE! I mean Tamatobake Box Pills! I mean...)
  • All the stuff with Jinbe vs Who's-Who
Anyways, I'm gonna stick with my gut and trust Oda on the whole Gomu Gomu no Mi thing.

This isn't the first time in the past 100 chapters that Oda has introduced a potentially problematic plot point that he's ultimately handled well. Case in point:
  1. Time Travel. Oda: You can only travel forward in time.
  2. Joyboy Reincarnation. Oda: Kaido strongly hints that Joyboy is something one can become rather than being a reincarnation.
  3. Oden is alive. Oda: It's Kanjurou.
The only time the fruit itself had an effect on the plot was as a natural counter against Enel's Goro Goro no Mi.

Aside from a unique awakening (which is already rare enough as it is), I don't see any intrinsic property that the Gomu Gomu no Mi has that would lead the World Government to treat it with special care.

No one else in the series seems to be concerned about the fruit's powers being with Luffy; not the admirals; not the former member's of the Rocks; not even Shanks, Rayleigh or Teach.

Which means that there must have been something extrinsic that only the World Government cared or knew about at that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURI123456 View Post
Anyway, that was years ago I think the creator of "One Piece" maybe change his mind about this or he wares not sure how to explain things back then.
Oh ye of little faith. Retracted.

Last edited by OH&S; 2021-06-25 at 06:49. Reason: Retraction
OH&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-25, 06:40   Link #20
TURI123456

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH&S View Post
Pretty great chapter all things considered.
  • Tama gives out the order to switch sides to the Gifters.
  • Luffy rescued by the Heart Pirates; Momo and Shinobu still falling (but alive)
  • Sanji vs hybrid form Queen (Its not the Sanji vs King matchup I was hoping for but it'll probably be a cool fight nontheless).
  • Queen confirmed to work with Vegapunk, Ceasar and Judge as part of a project called MADS.
  • Chopper's side effect from the new rumble ball (similar to pre-timeskip Gear 3rd).
  • Zoro to be healed using drug from Zou with double pain aftereffects (EMPORIO TENSION HORMONE! I mean Tamatobake Box Pills! I mean...)
  • All the stuff with Jinbe vs Who's-Who
Anyways, I'm gonna stick with my gut and trust Oda on the whole Gomu Gomu no Mi thing.

This isn't the first time in the past 100 chapters that Oda has introduced a potentially problematic plot point that he's ultimately handled well. Case in point:
  1. Time Travel. Oda: You can only travel forward in time.
  2. Joyboy Reincarnation. Oda: Kaido strongly hints that Joyboy is something one can become rather than being a reincarnation.
  3. Oden is alive. Oda: It's Kanjurou.
The only time the fruit itself had an effect on the plot was as a natural counter against Enel's Goro Goro no Mi.

Aside from a unique awakening (which is already rare enough as it is), I don't see any intrinsic property that the Gomu Gomu no Mi has that would lead the World Government to treat it with special care.

No one else in the series seems to be concerned about the fruit's powers being with Luffy; not the admirals; not the former member's of the Rocks; not even Shanks, Rayleigh or Teach.

Which means that there must have been something extrinsic that only the World Government cared or knew about at that time.

Oh ye of little faith.
About what?
TURI123456 is offline   Reply With Quote