AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2009-03-31, 08:58   Link #721
theacefrehley
Guitar Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Spoiler for Episode4 patch:

A name reading doesn't need necessarily be the same as the common nouns reading
If it was meant to be the number 13, it'd be juu-san, but it is a name.

三 has a bunch of nanori, among them, there's the 'za'. In this case, it's not going that far as with Yagami Raito or Batora.
Old 2009-03-31, 10:01   Link #722
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Ah you mean he might be Beatrice's son? that would be interesting ^^; (OMG! Then BeatricexBattler is incest!)
But there's still the possibility that Battler has born in 1967 but on late october, november or dicember. That would make him still 18 at the time of the game.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-31, 10:26   Link #723
theacefrehley
Guitar Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Ah you mean he might be Beatrice's son? that would be interesting ^^; (OMG! Then BeatricexBattler is incest!)
But there's still the possibility that Battler has born in 1967 but on late october, november or dicember. That would make him still 18 at the time of the game.
To tell the truth, if not Battler's, I think Beato might even be Jessica's mother (both are blonde right? hehe)
And Natsuhi had trouble to have babies (maybe sterile?), so, if she, Beatrice, was a prisoner, who knows what kind of perversions Kinzo (and Krauss) might have made her go through...

And also;
As for Battler;
When the mysterious number, 07151129, appeared at the end of EP3, we learned that Battler's birthday is July, 15th. (unless this date is wrong and he was indoctrinated to believe this is the date of his birthday)
Old 2009-03-31, 10:27   Link #724
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Uhm i have a question that requires some knowledge about japan and japanese school system.

My limited knowledge tells me that learning how to read kanji takes several years to be fully mastered. I also know that Kanjis are divided in differents "grades" from 1 to 9. This classification comes from the fact that on the japanese school system each grade teaches a set of kanjis.

So on grade1 childrean learns 80 kanji
On grade 2 they learn 160 kanji
Grade 3 = 200
Grade 4 = 200
Grade 5 = 185
Grade 6 = 180

and that's it for the elementary school

On junior high school they need to learn all the remaining 939 kanji that are commonly used, which are practically the same amount they learned on the previous 6 years.

Supposing that i'm right so far, and considering that first grade starts at age 6, Maria is only supposed to know around 500 kanji. So is it normal for her to be able to read Beatrice's letter and Beatrice's epitaph without any problem?

Considering that she is also able to read and understand english one could says she's far beyond any child of her age, however according to the story she does terribly at school. I guess she is very bad at math and other scientific lessons, but wouldn't her ability to read and understand languages deserve a praise?

Last edited by Jan-Poo; 2009-03-31 at 11:07.
Old 2009-03-31, 10:40   Link #725
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Spoiler for episode3:

Old 2009-03-31, 12:26   Link #726
Kitsu
The unlucky one

Spoiler:
Kitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-31, 12:56   Link #727
rogerpepitone

Send a message via Yahoo to rogerpepitone
In the case of Ten Little Indians / And Then There Were None, the villain had the luxury of choosing the guests to fit his plan. In this case, "Beatrice" had very little control over who would attend. (Kinzo, Krauss, Natsuhi, and possibly others, could manipulate the duty roster to affect which servants would be on duty, but otherwise, who would attend can't be changed.)

Spoiler for 10 Little Indians, book version:
rogerpepitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-31, 13:03   Link #728
rogerpepitone

Wildspec: Considering the age gap, what if Rosa is actually Kinzo's granddaughter, done to cover a teen pregnancy? (Wouldn't seem to matter much, unless she's Krauss's daughter, in which case she might come ahead of Jessica in succession.)
Old 2009-03-31, 17:00   Link #729
maximilianjenus
[E]

I have personally been through that, being able to do in school stuff that you are not supossed to do does not get any praise.

Spoiler for ange's place:
maximilianjenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-31, 19:30   Link #730
WhiteFrost

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerpepitone View Post
In the case of Ten Little Indians / And Then There Were None, the villain had the luxury of choosing the guests to fit his plan. In this case, "Beatrice" had very little control over who would attend. (Kinzo, Krauss, Natsuhi, and possibly others, could manipulate the duty roster to affect which servants would be on duty, but otherwise, who would attend can't be changed.)

Spoiler for 10 Little Indians, book version:
I'm not sure that Umineko would be exactly as And Then There Were None, instead of the villain planning everything in detail it should be enough to know that exactly these people are going to attend and realize that the situation is perfect and use that to kill them.
In a way that might fit to why the killer would wait so long, he/she simply waited for the best moment to strike.
WhiteFrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 08:37   Link #731
Kitsu
The unlucky one

Like WhiteFrost said it is not exactly like And Then there were none. But there is also the possibility that the culprit planned beforehand how he would do it's, because it's the family conference he knew who would attend which is a advantage. Also it was said that this year (1986) no one was missing from the siblings, which suggests that one or two couldn't make it to the conference before. So the culprit waited with his plan till finally everyone was attending.

And again..because it really is strange

Am I the only one that thinks that it is really strange that except Kinzo everyone of the old Ushiromiya died? It is too much for a coincidence. Also that whole thing with the Fukoin House (the orphanage was called that or?),feels a little bit strange.
Old 2009-04-01, 09:06   Link #732
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I find more strange that Kinzo is allowed to make children work for him. I mean... it's Japan, there should be laws that forbid that... isn't..?

Compulsory education in Japan lasts until the end of junior high (age 15), so while it's not strange Kanon and Shannon do not attend school right now, i find strange the idea that they used to take the same boat Jessica is boarding every day and then went back to Rokkenjima just to work even more.

Old 2009-04-01, 09:24   Link #733
Kitsu
The unlucky one

It's fiction...but Shannon goes to school that for sure. She said that herself in episode 2, I don't know about Kanon though. He seems not to because he was all like "Whoa that's a high school?" in Episode 2.
As far I know the world children rights say that children with the age of 16 are allowed to work as far it doesn't collide with their school or being exploited,hurt or mistreat in any way. Also they are not allowed to work longer then 40 hours a week. Which Kanon and Shannon do. So yeah Kinzo violates the rule of child labor. But it takes place in 1986 I don't know if Japan had signed the contract at that time. Also someone said Shannon is 16, she worked there for 10 years. A 6 year old maid!?!? OMG Kinzo is a pervert...*coughcough* No seriously what would anyone want with a 6 year old maid? Kanon started to work with 13 ...so yeah they violated the rules of child labor so badly that it makes me want to throw up. To add that the whole Fukoin house is allowed? Shouldn't orphanages support the children and not teach them how to be a servants and tell them "You are furniture! NOT HUMAN!" !?!?!?

Still the surviving of Kinzo alone for me is just too much luck.

Last edited by Kitsu; 2009-04-01 at 09:39.
Old 2009-04-01, 11:24   Link #734
Cola91

Screw the rules!! Kinzo has money!
Cola91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 11:44   Link #735
Mi-Delta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsu View Post
To add that the whole Fukoin house is allowed? Shouldn't orphanages support the children and not teach them how to be a servants and tell them "You are furniture! NOT HUMAN!" !?!?!?
I think the Fukuin House also abuses some children and tell them that...
Mi-Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-01, 11:49   Link #736
Kitsu
The unlucky one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi-Delta View Post
I think the Fukuin House also abuses some children and tell them that...
Physical abuse? Well I don't know, it would explain Kanon's "I-had-a-bad-childhood-screw-you-I'm-allowed-to-be-the-sad-silent-bastard-syndrome" but I think phsical abuse is a little too much. I think mental abuse is enough
Old 2009-04-01, 14:58   Link #737
rogerpepitone

Just rereading. Battler mentioned in ep. 1 that Rosa is good about remembering her promises, wrt. Kumasawa's tea. In light of ep. 4, she must not be making an effort.
Old 2009-04-01, 15:15   Link #738
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

probably Battler doesn't really know her true face.

Old 2009-04-01, 16:03   Link #739
Kitsu
The unlucky one

Another thing that annoys me...if the game board was truly cute at the forth October then Rosa must have had the tea already and so she has to bring it in every episode
Old 2009-04-01, 17:14   Link #740
rogerpepitone

Kanon mentioned he learned harmonica and recorder in elementary school.

As for the tea, I was taking it more that Rosa does care about keeping her promises, except towards her daughter.