AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2013-06-04, 18:40   Link #121
Rovert10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
I feel kind of bad for Kamachi though: he really likes Index as a character. He started the series with her, but just because of Mikoto's popularity, he "has" to make her important or get criticized. Not a fun situation to be in: especially since the main series is called Index and the spinoff/sidestory is Railgun. If only the anime had done a better version of Index. Then again: I'm sure seasons 3/4 can change my mind for the better if properly done correctly.
Then what's this about?
Rovert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-04, 18:41   Link #122
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovert10 View Post
Then what's this about?
Lol. I was hoping you'd answer the other part of my post too .

You got me.
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-04, 19:21   Link #123
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Guys, try to remember this thread is for sales discussion.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-04, 19:58   Link #124
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Guys, try to remember this thread is for sales discussion.
But I was wondering why Index sells so much even though it isn't a mainstream shonen. Surely that's relevant? Or is this sales in terms of figures?
Old 2013-06-04, 20:57   Link #125
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Compared to 'mainstream' shounen, Index sales are nothing impressive.

Also what you were talking about is too close to a general novel discussion, at least disguise it better or something
Old 2013-06-04, 21:19   Link #126
Goldzero

Quote:
But I was wondering why Index sells so much even though it isn't a mainstream shonen. Surely that's relevant? Or is this sales in terms of figures?
while index sells are very impressive(expecially for a light novel seies), like what chaos have said. index sells are nowhere near as impressive as "Mainstream" shounen series(i have no idea how well index sold in the past but at this moment it isn't as well loved like shounen series as Naruto and one piece and probably many other since it can barley pass 150k-160k in sells atm).
Goldzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-04, 21:27   Link #127
larethian

Quote:
You must be kidding me. Index is pretty mainstream (light novel) to me. Or your definition of 'mainstream' is pretty narrow. Sure, it has a complex world-view and plot intricacies, but that does not make it non-mainstream. Tell me titles of light novels which you consider as mainstream and we can compare notes.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-04, 21:48   Link #128
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
You must be kidding me. Index is pretty mainstream (light novel) to me. Or your definition of 'mainstream' is pretty narrow. Sure, it has a complex world-view and plot intricacies, but that does not make it non-mainstream. Tell me titles of light novels which you consider as mainstream and we can compare notes.
The problem is that he's comparing it with 'mainstream' shounen manga...
Old 2013-06-04, 22:15   Link #129
Birdway
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovert10 View Post
Kamachi could make Index as popular/profound/important (she's more important than Mikoto can ever be but others may say otherwise) a character as Mikoto but he hasn't choosen to so yet in my opinion.

It seems he's waiting for the right time before Index gains a very important role that's only matched by our protagonists. Especially with the glances at her potential power back in WWIII. If the plot swings back in England and that final controller get's destroyed somehow than Index suddenly becomes possibly greater than Angel Accelerator or at least equal.
This goes out of topic but.

Having Index on a more active role would be like having a pre-bullet Accelerator or Fiamma as a full time protagonist. Its harder to create scenarios fit for a character who is basically a game breaker and has a manual of how to make your enemy's power useless.

Accelerator has protagonism since he got nerfed by a bullet on the brain and having a limited time for his power use, remember?

Kamachi made it even more difficult in the WWIII by ascending her to angel-like levels with her wings. Seriously, what does the author have in mind?

So the options are either nerf her with some kind of incident or creating enemies on her level or above.

EDIT: Oh, you could also make the detective duo Index/Touma like that Road of Endymion SS.

@dniv: If you read the firsts 10 volumes you will notice Touma has an abnormal obsession with Index's smile before and after his memory destruction, I would say he has actual awareness of her being a female so far compared to other characters...thats why he locked himself on a bathtub .

Last edited by Birdway; 2013-06-04 at 22:27.
Birdway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-05, 00:09   Link #130
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdway View Post
This goes out of topic but.

Having Index on a more active role would be like having a pre-bullet Accelerator or Fiamma as a full time protagonist. Its harder to create scenarios fit for a character who is basically a game breaker and has a manual of how to make your enemy's power useless.

Accelerator has protagonism since he got nerfed by a bullet on the brain and having a limited time for his power use, remember?

Kamachi made it even more difficult in the WWIII by ascending her to angel-like levels with her wings. Seriously, what does the author have in mind?

So the options are either nerf her with some kind of incident or creating enemies on her level or above.

EDIT: Oh, you could also make the detective duo Index/Touma like that Road of Endymion SS.

@dniv: If you read the firsts 10 volumes you will notice Touma has an abnormal obsession with Index's smile before and after his memory destruction, I would say he has actual awareness of her being a female so far compared to other characters...thats why he locked himself on a bathtub .
Yeah lolz. I remember that. That's understandable though because he actually saw her naked. She's also a foreigner so to him she's automatically more pretty. He doesn't consider her as your normal 15/16 year old. She's been out in the world and pursued by lots of people and has gone through a lot.

I'm sure Laura Stuart is on Index's level. She also
Spoiler for Light novel 22:

It would be bad to make Index just do nothing though forever. She really needs to get her act in gear eventually. Why shouldn't she use her powers? (oh... because she can't willingly go into John's Pen mode and control herself...)

Last edited by dniv; 2013-06-05 at 23:13.
Old 2013-06-05, 19:01   Link #131
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
In "week 3", NT7 added 14,902 copies to total 146,213 thus far (17 days). This is ~800 more books than NT6 sold in its third week and it sold 145,845 copies in 18 days. Slightly more, though I'd put the sales about the same given the small difference (<400 copies) between them.
Over the past week, NT7 added 7,875 copies to total 154,088 copies after 24 days. NT6 sold 7,991 copies in week 4 to total 153,836 copies after 25 days. Really close between them. NT7 may not appear next until the final year-end mark as NT6 didn't re-surface until the half-year reports.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-07, 10:13   Link #132
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Again, sorry for the double-post, but I figure publisher amounts are worth breaking the rules.

The Index LNs (all 32 OT/NT/SP novels) have 14.25 million copies in print according to the latest Dengeki announcement. Given the 32 novels currently in print, that's 445,312.5 copies per volume.

Old 2013-06-07, 10:21   Link #133
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
Again, sorry for the double-post, but I figure publisher amounts are worth breaking the rules.

The Index LNs (all 32 OT/NT/SP novels) have 14.25 million copies in print according to the latest Dengeki announcement. Given the 32 novels currently in print, that's 445,312.5 copies per volume.
That's really impressive and cool. May Index sell even more in the future and get increased sales when Index III comes out!
Old 2013-06-07, 12:30   Link #134
HonGFirE

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...in-circulation
NT 6 sales : 154,088
NT 7 sales : 153,836

There's 14.25 million novel in circulation, but the sales is more than 14.3 million?

Something must be wrong
HonGFirE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-07, 12:57   Link #135
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonGFirE View Post

There's 14.25 million novel in circulation, but the sales is more than 14.3 million?

Something must be wrong
It said there was around 14 million novels in circulation before NT 6 and that there were 12.3 million copies in 2011.

14 million +153,836 + 154,088 is about 14.38 million. That's close to 14.25 million. Assuming the original 14 million was an over-estimate
Old 2013-06-07, 13:01   Link #136
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonGFirE View Post

Something must be wrong
Please do not confuse sale estimates from Oricon with publisher print numbers. Oricon estimates the amount sold based from ~1,900 book stores. Publishers will round down to a number when giving these print numbers. There's actually more than 14.25 million books in circulation, yet that's an solid number to advertise rather than say 14,253,392 books for example. Don't mix the two sources of information. Oricon=/=publisher.

Old 2013-06-08, 09:48   Link #137
demino_hellsin
That one guy

They announce that there are 14 million books in circulation but what are the number of sales? What percent of the printed books are still sitting on the shelves?
demino_hellsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-08, 13:50   Link #138
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by demino_hellsin View Post
They announce that there are 14 million books in circulation but what are the number of sales? What percent of the printed books are still sitting on the shelves?
No one can give an accurate number to that. The publisher only knows how much they print and sell to the bookstores. Oricon does not cover every book store and provides "estimates" of how much a title sells through their partner stores. If you're looking for an exact number of how many books the series has sold, no one can give you that (especially since sales estimates were only started in April 2008, 4 years after the first novel was published). The best number we can give is the amount printed since that's the total amount that are produced.

Old 2013-06-13, 11:18   Link #139
Acer
Death to the infidels!

NT vol 7 sold over 5,106 copies, totaling 159,194 copies sold so far. http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=614639
Acer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-13, 14:28   Link #140
Goldzero

good to see index is doing incredibly well still.
Goldzero is offline   Reply With Quote