AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Kagaku no Railgun

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Kagaku no Railgun S - Episode 19 Rating
Perfect 10 14 24.14%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 8 13.79%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 10 17.24%
7 out of 10 : Good 11 18.97%
6 out of 10 : Average 9 15.52%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 5 8.62%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.72%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013-08-25, 18:09   Link #41
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

So I mean... I gave this episode a 10/10 and I'm also a raildex franchise fan so I say that that's not true It was a very well done episode, just different from what some people who watched it were looking for.
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-25, 20:59   Link #42
playmaker2k
Nishikino Maki (* ̄▽ ̄*)

Saten proves once again why she's waifu material.

Dat Ponytail and those 3 different outfits did it for me.
playmaker2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-26, 02:47   Link #43
Qilin
Romanticist

I always did think that the character interactions made up one of this spinoff's main strengths. As such, episodes like this and the last couple have their place in the grand scheme of things. A few episodes of nice, clean fun is always a welcome respite.

I honestly think that this arc is starting out a lot better that a lot of the arcs in Index that didn't involve the Academy City side of the cast.
Old 2013-08-26, 02:51   Link #44
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
I always did think that the character interactions made up one of this spinoff's main strengths. As such, episodes like this and the last couple have their place in the grand scheme of things. A few episodes of nice, clean fun is always a welcome respite.

I honestly think that this arc is starting out a lot better that a lot of the arcs in Index that didn't involve the Academy City side of the cast.
Lol respite from what ? It's been two and a half episodes since the climatic end of the Sister's Arc.

Time to bite down into the meat already.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-26, 04:22   Link #45
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Lol respite from what ? It's been two and a half episodes since the climatic end of the Sister's Arc.

Time to bite down into the meat already.
Isn't it already fairly established that Railgun arcs tend to start really slow?

All I'm saying is that I happen to like it that way. Initially having some light character drama with the central conflict slowly creeping in with each episode isn't necessarily a bad approach to take.
Old 2013-08-26, 04:36   Link #46
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
Isn't it already fairly established that Railgun arcs tend to start really slow?

All I'm saying is that I happen to like it that way. Initially having some light character drama with the central conflict slowly creeping in with each episode isn't necessarily a bad approach to take.
Indeed, That's why I didn't address anything about your opinion or preference.

However I think it is time to shift the gears already- Railgun is after all still a show with action/adventure as a main element. I believe for any other series of this genre, two episodes should be enough as a 'slow start'.

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2013-08-26 at 04:57. Reason: editting for editting reason
Old 2013-08-26, 05:03   Link #47
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Indeed, That's why I didn't address anything about your opinion or preference.

However it is time to shift the gears already- Railgun is after all still a show with action/adventure as a main element.

I believe for any other series of this genre, two episodes would be enough as a 'slow start'.
Well, I'm pretty sure that the source material does indeed have action/adventure as a main element, but I see the anime adaptation as unique in that it places relatively greater emphasis on characterization and "slice-of-life elements", so to speak. As such, I think that these slow moments are just as important to the essence of the show.

Anyway, it's not like the episode didn't progress the plot in any way. It's much better described as a continuum where these "slow" scenes are absorbed bit-by-bit by the more serious, plot-relevant events. I think this kind of gradual transition is necessary to present the conflict as a believable threat against their everyday lives.
Old 2013-08-26, 07:25   Link #48
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Railgun reminds me a lot of another prominent JC Staff anime show - Shakugan no Shana.

Railgun has a blending of slice of life with action/adventure similar to Shana's. So Shana ended up attracting fans of both genres, and that caused a bit of a split (most visible during the very slice of life-heavy 1st half of Shana season 2).

I see the same thing here - Two or three slower episodes in a row, and a good chunk of viewers want the pace to pick up and to get to more action. OTOH, some are loving it more than they did the more
action-packed sections.

Personally, I'm fine with the pacing of this "filler arc" so far, but I do hope that the plot and action starts to pick up a bit next episode. It's been nice to see the Railgun cast in a more relaxed and generally happy atmosphere over the last couple of episodes, but I'm ready for some more action-adventure now.
Old 2013-08-26, 07:33   Link #49
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Actually, people didn't like the first half of Shana II because of the dragging love-triangle-drama

Although if memory served, Shana II had more 'peaceful' episodes than just the two episodes here so there's that...
Old 2013-08-26, 07:45   Link #50
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Although if memory served, Shana II had more 'peaceful' episodes than just the two episodes here so there's that...
It was about 10 (excruciating) episodes if I recall, and it helps that Railgun's cast has better developed personalities.

Last edited by Qilin; 2013-08-26 at 07:58.
Qilin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-26, 07:56   Link #51
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Well I suppose it's nice to have more Saten, even if the story was a bit infantile.

Not too big on the villainous villains that are too young to have the moustaches that they blatantly want to twirl.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-26, 08:48   Link #52
Ilidsor
Angelerator

Quote:
Actually, people didn't like the first half of Shana II because of the dragging love-triangle-drama

Yeah I tried to get into Shana a few months ago. I liked the first season but I just couldn't take the ten episodes where the only thing remotely interesting was a flashback arc, so I dropped it.

I would have done the same with Railgun I when I watched it but I liked Index I so much that I decided to power through.
Old 2013-08-26, 09:12   Link #53
zaeraal

Not really sure what is the hate all about, even if it didn't had too much of a story, it had good comedy.
It was the "Introduction of Febri" similar to that of Touma who had whole episode to introduce him in Sister arc.
(Except that this one was more fun..)

Anyway, did anyone noticed the story Saten was reading to Febli?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kino%27s_Journey
Is it normal in Japan to read LNs to children going to sleep?
zaeraal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-26, 09:15   Link #54
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilidsor View Post
Yeah I tried to get into Shana a few months ago. I liked the first season but I just couldn't take the ten episodes where the only thing remotely interesting was a flashback arc, so I dropped it.

I would have done the same with Railgun I when I watched it but I liked Index I so much that I decided to power through.
Go back, skip to the second half of Shana II and watch from there.

You'll thank me when you finally get to Shana III.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaeraal View Post
Do you think Japanese middle school girls would happen to have children books lying around their room ?

Be thankful it's not Itsuten

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2013-08-26 at 09:25.
Old 2013-08-26, 09:58   Link #55
Ilidsor
Angelerator

Quote:
Not really sure what is the hate all about, even if it didn't had too much of a story, it had good comedy.
It was the "Introduction of Febri" similar to that of Touma who had whole episode to introduce him in Sister arc.
I didn't find it that amusing. I got a few snickers at Felbi refusing to like Mikoto but other than that it was very bland.

Quote:
Go back, skip to the second half of Shana II and watch from there.

You'll thank me when you finally get to Shana III.
Well I'll give it a shot. If it gets more like season 1, it\ll be worth it.
Old 2013-08-26, 12:27   Link #56
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:

Be thankful it's not Itsuten
Or CxCxC
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-27, 01:17   Link #57
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:

Anyway, did anyone noticed the story Saten was reading to Febli?

I'm with you on this one. This episode was very nice IMO. I like both action and "slice of life"... so it doesn't really matter to me

Anyway, as long as it's done well, which it was here, then I enjoy it.

And... I'll grudgingly admit that this episode was done better than the one with Touma's introduction... but that's only because they cut out Mikoto's freaking out scene until the episode after that when people were expecting otherwise, and also because he was just talking...

This episode was actually really good after I rewatched it. At first, before I looked at the dialogue, what stood out to me was Pierce
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-27, 01:45   Link #58
Shadrala
Level 5 Railgun Stalker

The reason why I'm such a huge Railgun fan is because it has a nice mix of action, comedy, slice-of-life etc. It's basically everything you could ask for in an anime rolled into a great package; I'm yet to find another series that does it better. Personally, I love the often slow pacing of Railgun because it gives greater insight into the story elements. And it makes it all the more brilliant that every hint and clue come together so neatly at the end of an arc to a resolution. It's also really hard to predict what will happen in Railgun-- sometimes, even the most supposedly insignificant matters in a "slice-of-life" scene suddenly becomes a major contributor of the main event in the end. That's what makes watching Railgun so special for me. It is unpredictable, yet easy to follow; it is complex and mentally-stimulating, but not to the point it doesn't make sense. If you can look beyond the "apparently fluffy" surface, there are endless amounts of character allusions, plot hints, symbolism, and connections you can discover. Simply put, it's quite the work of a genius
But of course, that's just my opinion

Shadrala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-27, 02:22   Link #59
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

You can tell when you are an Index fan when you find that the most exciting thing that happened in this episode was the surprise appearance of Aogami Pierce. Oh JC Staff thank you for attempting to appease my boredom.
Old 2013-08-27, 08:00   Link #60
RPG_Fanatic
Fallere825

An ok episode. I guess seeing Febli acting cute doesn't interest me much, it makes me feel like she is nothing but a mascot character. Mikoto's tryng to win her affection was amusing at least. I did not expect Aogami Pierce to be inside the costume.
The villians still feel pretty generic and flat. I hope they get fleshed out before this is over.